H1n1

jobster71

With all the warning of H1N1 (swine)Flu. I think I am going to have my general doctor to write me a script for Tamiflu and get it filled before I leave on my next cruise. Since you are supposed to take it the first 48 hrs after the symptom starts. Tamiflu also works for the regular seasonal flu.

But of coarse the best prevention is washing our hands.

Can you tell I work in health care......... or am I just paranoid?

With all the warning of H1N1 (swine)Flu. I think I am going to have my general doctor to write me a script for Tamiflu and get it filled before I leave on my next cruise. Since you are supposed to take it the first 48 hrs after the symptom starts. Tamiflu also works for the regular seasonal flu.

Personally I think paranoid.. you can get the swine flu from anywhere that you are... follow the precautions out there and stop worrying about it

Why not get the shot if you are worried and be done with worrying? I know a very small percentage will still get the flu (before someone pointst that out)...but if I was worried, Id just get the vacine and not worry... at least I cant see me worrying about something I cant control.

Im not bringing tamiflu.

Why not get the shot if you are worried and be done with worrying? I know a very small percentage will still get the flu (before someone pointst that out)...but if I was worried, Id just get the vacine and not worry... at least I cant see me worrying about something I cant control.

Im not bringing tamiflu.

I do not think there is a vaccine for H1N1 yet.

I manage the flu shot program for our company and we have been told that there are vaccines for "seasonal" flu ready - but they have been very clear that H1N1 is not available.

Im not bringing tamiflu.

I do not think there is a vaccine for H1N1 yet.

I manage the flu shot program for our company and we have been told that there are vaccines for "seasonal" flu ready - but they have been very clear that H1N1 is not available.

There will be a shot for the swine flu.. as there is for the normal flu shot.. but as everyone knows atleast I hope they know that the flu shot is for a specific strain of the flu.. if you happen to get another stain the flu shot is no good.. so it is a gamble..

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you start showing severe flu-like symptoms, you will be quarantined in your cabin anyway...and treated by onboard medical person who will order what you need.

Buy trip insurance instead.,...to help recover any expenses....

Good point Gma, just another good reason to buy insurance. You just never know. What I've heard here in the Midwest is that the vaccine won't be available until mid-October and that it takes about 6 weeks to be effective and that it will be administered to priority groups first. I'm guessing that DH & I will be last in line so we will be using a lot of common sense and hand washing. Oh, and we are buying insurance!!

Since you asked--Paranoid. I also work in health care. By filling a rx for Tamiflu, you could be holding on to doses that infected individuals need. This spring, the feds had to release Tamiflu stockpiles to the pharmacy wholesalers. I dispensed rx's which no one even used. Also, Tamiflu doesn't necessarily work on regular seasonal flu-depends of strain and resistance. If you are that worried about H1N1, in a high risk group, and/or work in healthcare (direct contact w/patients), you would be eligible for the vaccine when/if it is released. Follow the basic steps such as washing hands, etc.

I am on the high risk group is the reason I was asking.

Healthcare worker

Severe Asthma

Sleep apnea

The H1N1 vaccine is not available yet.

I think everyone knows it is not available yet. However, you can sign up for a shot in Oct here at the senior center (only have to be 50). You'all are acting like Oct is a long long time away. Its next month folks... why is everyone posting to my post about signing up for the vacine as if I said you can get it today... Oct is right around the corner to me. The other 3 in my family are signed up with times already.

Before a 4th person posts that you cant get the vacine...yes in Oct they will start the shots we have been told. (next month, right around the corner).

OP I would think if you are indeed high risk they would let you sign up, so why not if you are worried?? that was my question before everyone jumped in to say you cant get it until next month (which I knew).

I'm a nurse and would have serious doubts about taking the H1N1 flu vaccine. Don't like those "new" vaccines. We're going to give them to our OB patients as soon as it is released. We were told regular flu in the next two weeks but no word on H1N1. Just wash your hands and stay home if you are sick.

The latest WHO guidelines don't even recommend Tamiflu for confirmed cases of H1N1 unless the infected person is in a high risk category (elderly, very young, immune suppressed). While this flu is highly contagious, most cases are very mild. No point in panicking about it!

I also have asthma and have been a healthcare professional. I doubt your MD would give you tamiflu unless you have an active case of the virus because there is a limited supply of the drug. As the winter progresses these doses maybe necessary for those with active cases of the virus. I would use handwashing and antibacterial gel as my 1st defense.

I work in the healthcare industry also and have been told the Swine Flu vaccine will probably be released by mid-October and will be in limited supply, at least initially. Not offficial yet, but targeted groups would be children and young adults up to age 24 and those in high risk groups. Seniors will probably not be in the first group to be eligible for it unless they have some type of medical condition that warrants it. The government hasn't even decided how the vaccine will be distributed yet. (who will get it; who will be allowed to immunize)

The regular flu shot is available at many places now.

This is a middle school in my area.

20% of the students called in sick on Friday with flu like symptoms.

http://www.wreg.com/wreg-flu-symptoms-hit-county-school-story,0,7678578.story?track=rss

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are on Tuesday.

And it may be an interesting flu season.

Interesting that they are reporting "no confirmed cases yet". I rec'd an info newsletter from my pediatrician and they don't even want to see someone if they have the flu, unless they are in a high risk category. It's my understanding that they just want you to treat it, so that means that it won't even be tracked anymore, so therefore they won't have as many "confirmed" cases. :confused:

I saw on tv that the first doses will go to healthcare workers and pregnant women. I also remember that just a few months ago when they were trying to develop a vaccine that there were all kinds of issues including side effects and death. Not sure I would want to get it.:rolleyes: I have never had a flu shot and neither have my kids. We are literally never sick. DH gets one as he has alot of upper respiratory problems. He probably wont get the H1N1 shot. Good hygiene goes a long way!

For me I would not worry to much. Take the precautions of washingyour hands. We also try not to touch hand rails and use our elbows to push the buttons in th elevators. We actually cruised in June when the big scare was out there. We went ahead and stopped in Ensenada, Mexico, and came back healthy and no H1N1 for us.

Truthfully I worry more about Noro on a Ship than the flu! We just came off a Cruise and well as we all know some folks just don't get it!!!!!!!! Standing in line for the buffet one day a 20ish man came and wated to put his dish and tray back on the clean pile as he changed his mind and wasn't going to use them. The guy behind me was going to let him do it :eek: I nicely said "you shouldn't do that as you've already touched and held them they are considered dirty give them to any attendant or leave on an empty table". Then the guy behind me said "your right, don't know what I was thinking" well DUHHH. We washed our hands a lot and used the antibacterial liquid stations before touching anything on the buffett or even going into the dining room. Most ships have them all over the place and while warm water and soap are best it's better than doing nothing. :)

Archived