Hhhheeeelllppp!!!!!!!!!

tasha78

Hi everyone, I recently booked a cruise for myself, DH and DS, who will b 21 months @ the time of the cruise, April 2010....we r experienced cruisers, but new to family cruising...we booked an interior room on the new Carnival Dream..sleeping arrangements, what to do...Activities, what is there 2 do, since he cannot go to Camp Carnival...Excursions, we will b in Cozumel, Isla Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya....what is there 2 do besides the beachs?? I need a packing list, so I will not forget anything.......survival tactics...any comments/suggestions will b greatly appreciated.:cool:

We sailed with an 18 month. Nope, cant use camp but it is opened for you from noon til 2. It was a perfect time for us to get her there and spend some of the pent up energy. We didnt pack a lot of toys since I knew I could use the camps at that time-- and if there was something she liked playing with the counselor let us take it over night= to return it the next day and pick out something else. There are slides, and climb on toys.

We used the outside deck on the promanade deck after dinner. (there are railing out here and no she could not fit through them) we walked the deck for about 30 minutes-- jsut letting her run back and forth.

Cant use the pools since she was not potty trained- she never missed it.

Get him use to taking a shower- there is no tub in the cabin. But the shower head is the hand held type.

diapers are very expensive on the ship- pack enough.

I hope you booked a balcony cabin- your child is gonna take naps and with a balcony at least you will have a place to retreat to.

High chairs in the dining room are the kind that pushes to the table- they dont have trays and we felt they sat rather low.

We used our own throw away sippy cups. (choc milk is available in the dining room) we took our own disapoable spoon and forks

Take your own juices. the stuff onboard is rather sweet.

make sure your agent marks on your reservation that you want the crib- its a pack and play type- bring your own sheets.

My advice to you is to designate a convienient place in your home to start a "packing pile". A "packing pile" is a pile of things that you dont want to forget, convieniently tossed into one spot, right as you remember that you dont want to forget them.

You know how it goes....you say "I cant forget that I want to bring the sunscreen, a box of cheese it's, some cheerios, etc. I'll need to pull that out later" and then your mind moves on and you forget that you needed to pack it.

The purpose of a packing pile to to throw that box of cheese it's, sunscreen, etc into "the pile" as soon as you remember about it so that you don't forget it. You can go back and organize it when you actually do your packing.

You can start a packing pile as early as you want to. Some people start theirs 6 months ahead of time, I start mine 2 months ahead of time. Whatever makes you feel like you have it under control.

Happy Sailing!

Being on a cruise with a baby will be like being at home with them...you'll have to entertain, and arrange your day around the child's schedule---it's just that you're in a different place, enjoying the great scenery!

It's not going to be like an "adult" getaway!

Whatever you do at home to entertain your son, do at sea!

We travelled with our girls when they were that age- you'll have a great time! Don't forget to pack meds and first aid stuff like neosporin and bandaids- you can do laundry on board but kids clothes don't take up that much room so bring extra.

we found our kids adjusted their shedules on vacation to take a nice afternoon nap and then be able to stay up later for shows. Kids will naturally gravitate toward each other, don't be afraid to chat up other families. The kids can have a blast running and playing with new friends in places like the disco which is empty during the day or at Camp Carnival during certain hours. Just dont let the running around occur near others who won't find it cute- like the hallways or on deck.

If your son sleeps in a dead quiet room then get him used to some noise now so you can watch TV and talk during his naptime and after he falls asleep at night, especially since you booked an interior room.

We are going to Roatan in Apr for the kids' spring break and staying for the week at Bananarama- that place welcomes cruisers, and has no access fee for the beach, and only a few dollars for beach chairs and snorkel equip- if you are looking for an inexpensive Roatan excursion.

My advice to you is to designate a convienient place in your home to start a "packing pile". A "packing pile" is a pile of things that you dont want to forget, convieniently tossed into one spot, right as you remember that you dont want to forget them.

You know how it goes....you say "I cant forget that I want to bring the sunscreen, a box of cheese it's, some cheerios, etc. I'll need to pull that out later" and then your mind moves on and you forget that you needed to pack it.

The purpose of a packing pile to to throw that box of cheese it's, sunscreen, etc into "the pile" as soon as you remember about it so that you don't forget it. You can go back and organize it when you actually do your packing.

You can start a packing pile as early as you want to. Some people start theirs 6 months ahead of time, I start mine 2 months ahead of time. Whatever makes you feel like you have it under control.

Happy Sailing!

I actually start 2 packing piles: one by the kitchen/downstairs (it's usually a big box I get from my last Costco run) and one in the guest bedroom upstairs (that I start as soon as I know we will not have any more guests til we leave) Anytime you think you may want to take something, either put it in the box/on the pile or write a note about it and put that in.

I never cruised when my kids were young but took lots of land vacations. Don't bring too much stuff--they really don't need it to be entertained. Figure one outfit per day plus a few extras. I would rather fill the suitcase with diapers which are expensive on the road (and get thrown out anyway!) and buy tee shirts or clothes for the kids if needed.

I took a one year old on the Miracle in July. Although my 3 and 4 year old were allowed to utilize Camp Carnival of course the baby was not. We never did take or him to Camp Carnival between 12 and 2. We usually picked the kids up, ate lunch and sat out on deck. If anybody needed a nap, that would be done also.

One post said get your son used to taking a shower. No need to if you are staying in a Category 6B, 6C, 6D. These are Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms so they have 2 bathrooms, one with a shower and one with a junior tub. so you can put him in the tub. Even if you are not staying in that type of room, my 1 year old never took a shower prior to the Miracle and I put him in the shower standing and removed the showerhead and used it sort of like a sprinkler. The bathroom didn't get much wetter than when any of the others were taking a shower.

As for dinner we were able to order food for him. Mostly mashed potatos with gravy, there was chocolate milk and sometimes he would eat pieces of the chicken fingers and cookies for dessert (he eats mostly regular food). The high chairs in the dining rooms and in the buffet area did have the tray attached, though finding a high chair in the buffet was difficult. Not so in the dining room because even with My Time Dining, we sat at the same table every night and the high chair was waiting for us.

We didn't bring a stroller and had to rent one from Camp Carnival. That was the best $25 we spent. An umbrella stroller should be sufficient. We had a mishap with the diapers and we were able to get a decent supply from Camp Carnival and also from the Medical Facility on board. They didn't have large sizes like size 5 or size 6 but we made do.

I don't know how it would work in an interior cabin but we brought our own pack and play and comfortably put it in a corner (we had an oceanview on the Miracle).

We will follow the same regimen in November when we are on the Dream. The baby will be 18 months at that time so Camp Carnival is still out.

Lastly, chill out, everything will fall into place with the baby.

I actually start 2 packing piles: one by the kitchen/downstairs (it's usually a big box I get from my last Costco run) and one in the guest bedroom upstairs (that I start as soon as I know we will not have any more guests til we leave) Anytime you think you may want to take something, either put it in the box/on the pile or write a note about it and put that in.

I never cruised when my kids were young but took lots of land vacations. Don't bring too much stuff--they really don't need it to be entertained. Figure one outfit per day plus a few extras. I would rather fill the suitcase with diapers which are expensive on the road (and get thrown out anyway!) and buy tee shirts or clothes for the kids if needed.

What great ideas--packing piles! My wife likes to pack, oh around the night before. I pack a month before and, after staying up until 2 a.m. one night trying to get suitcases to the right weight (and still forgetting things), I think the lesson was learned.

I agree, you tend to remember the sunscreen and then completely forget it by the time you find the swimming gear. I will use the packing "boxes/piles" on our next one coming up.

Thanks for the great advice.

CurtS

Packing List for toddler

sunscreen/aloe or cooling gel in case of sunburn

sunglasses

hat

diapers or pullups

wipes

diaper rash ointment

baby powder

baby wash/shampoo

oragel for teething

tylenol or motrin (fever reducer)

benedryl (allergies, bug stings etc...)

medicine cup

meds for upset tummy

band aids/neosporin

tweezers (in case of splinters, stingers)

q-tips/cotton balls

swim suit/little swimmers/water shoes

ziplock bags (various sizes)

hand sanitizer

favorite book, toy, stuffed animal, blanket, something familiar

night light

sippy cups

favorite snacks (in sealed boxes or bags)

pedilyte (in case of severe sickness)

Basically whatever ever you use on a daily basis; plus items you use when your child is sick. Make a list as you use it and then you will know you need to pack it.

I'd rather overpack a little, afterall it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it in the middle of the ocean.

I packed a complete outfit (top, shorts/pants, socks, undies) in gallon bags and then tossed a bag or 2 in my diaper bag everyday just in case he got wet, had an accident etc...

Packing List for toddler

sunscreen/aloe or cooling gel in case of sunburn

sunglasses

hat

diapers or pullups

wipes

diaper rash ointment

baby powder

baby wash/shampoo

oragel for teething

tylenol or motrin (fever reducer)

benedryl (allergies, bug stings etc...)

medicine cup

meds for upset tummy

band aids/neosporin

tweezers (in case of splinters, stingers)

q-tips/cotton balls

swim suit/little swimmers/water shoes

ziplock bags (various sizes)

hand sanitizer

favorite book, toy, stuffed animal, blanket, something familiar

night light

sippy cups

favorite snacks (in sealed boxes or bags)

pedilyte (in case of severe sickness)

Basically whatever ever you use on a daily basis; plus items you use when your child is sick. Make a list as you use it and then you will know you need to pack it.

I'd rather overpack a little, afterall it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it in the middle of the ocean.

I packed a complete outfit (top, shorts/pants, socks, undies) in gallon bags and then tossed a bag or 2 in my diaper bag everyday just in case he got wet, had an accident etc...

thank u for this list, i will pack each and every item..............

We are experienced "family cruisers". We've never cruised without our kids. Our upcoming cruise, however, will be with our new addition. He will be 15 months when we cruise in October.

I was glad to see that others do the packing pile. I thought I needed meds for starting to pack months before the cruise...LOL!!!!

One thing I have decided to bring is a inflatable floaty device for him. He loves the water and I am sure he will want to enjoy the beach. I thought the floaty would be great for letting him wade in the beach a little more safely than being held in our arms. The type I got has a shade canopy, and folds up into a carrying bag.

I also found a suggestion to bring a mini toddler pool for him to wade in since he cannot get into the pools. I found one online that is 36" wide which is super mini, and should be easy to work with. I'm going to try that and see how it works.

We are experienced "family cruisers". We've never cruised without our kids. Our upcoming cruise, however, will be with our new addition. He will be 15 months when we cruise in October.

I was glad to see that others do the packing pile. I thought I needed meds for starting to pack months before the cruise...LOL!!!!

One thing I have decided to bring is a inflatable floaty device for him. He loves the water and I am sure he will want to enjoy the beach. I thought the floaty would be great for letting him wade in the beach a little more safely than being held in our arms. The type I got has a shade canopy, and folds up into a carrying bag.

I also found a suggestion to bring a mini toddler pool for him to wade in since he cannot get into the pools. I found one online that is 36" wide which is super mini, and should be easy to work with. I'm going to try that and see how it works.

I see on ur upcoming cruise, the ports r very similiar...what do u plan to do about excursions/activities once off the boat? We also thought of bringing a inflatable pool/floating device. Please let me know how it works out...

I see on ur upcoming cruise, the ports r very similiar...what do u plan to do about excursions/activities once off the boat? We also thought of bringing a inflatable pool/floating device. Please let me know how it works out...

In Grand Cayman we are doing the stingray city tour through Captain Marvins. We have done this excursion before, and it will be fine for my son. I don't think he will be going into the water with the rays though. My mom is coming along and she won't get in the water either, so she can hold him.

In Isla Roatan Honduras, we are going to Fins and Flippers. We have never been here but I've ready amazing reviews on the boards. It has a animal rescue area so I think this will be nice for the kids. It also has a really nice pool which will be a good change from the beach for the kids. From what I understand the pier to meet the little ferry to the island is just a hop, skip, and a jump from the ship, and the ferry ride is really short to get to the little private island.

In Belize, we are doing a tour through Carinval (I rarely do this...but my sister has done it before and she highly recommends). It is called Banister Island. It is just a beach excursion but the accomodations are supposed to be pretty good. They have a special kids area that my sister thinks will be good for my son and my neice.

We are not 100% sure what we are doing in Cozumel. We've been here a few times and have always done Paradise Beach. I LOVE THAT PLACE!!! I'd like to go there, or any of the adjacent beaches and just relax for the day. However, I remember it being a little bit of a drive. I have a travel carseat that fits in my diaper bag but my niece doesn't, so we are trying to find her one.

I will definately let you know how the inflatable pool thing works!!

In Grand Cayman we are doing the stingray city tour through Captain Marvins. We have done this excursion before, and it will be fine for my son. I don't think he will be going into the water with the rays though. My mom is coming along and she won't get in the water either, so she can hold him.

In Isla Roatan Honduras, we are going to Fins and Flippers. We have never been here but I've ready amazing reviews on the boards. It has a animal rescue area so I think this will be nice for the kids. It also has a really nice pool which will be a good change from the beach for the kids. From what I understand the pier to meet the little ferry to the island is just a hop, skip, and a jump from the ship, and the ferry ride is really short to get to the little private island.

In Belize, we are doing a tour through Carinval (I rarely do this...but my sister has done it before and she highly recommends). It is called Banister Island. It is just a beach excursion but the accomodations are supposed to be pretty good. They have a special kids area that my sister thinks will be good for my son and my neice.

We are not 100% sure what we are doing in Cozumel. We've been here a few times and have always done Paradise Beach. I LOVE THAT PLACE!!! I'd like to go there, or any of the adjacent beaches and just relax for the day. However, I remember it being a little bit of a drive. I have a travel carseat that fits in my diaper bag but my niece doesn't, so we are trying to find her one.

I will definately let you know how the inflatable pool thing works!!

u have a great plan in place,i need to check out those places...thanks 4 ur reply.....:)

We're cruising in November with my DD who will be 27 months at the time. We're doing Dolphin Discovery for our Cozumel Excursion. I spoke with the park myself last week and they have a Dolphin Encounter program that allows you to kiss, hug, and shake hands with the dolphins on a platform in waist deep water. Kids ages 1 to 5 can participate for free with a paying adult. Dolphin Discover is located inside Chankanaab which has a beautiful fresh water pool with swim-up bar. A lagoon for beach play, gardens to explore, an eguina(sp?) trail, an outdoor play area for the kids, snack shop, and souviner shop. Just do a search for Chankanaab on the Ports of Call Cozumel board and you'll find tons of reviews with some great pictures!

We are cruising next month to Bermuda with our 1yo. We booked an outside room. Always have had balconies before- but couldn't justify twice the price this time. I bought a blow up tub and blow up pool and electric air pump from Target last week for 75% off. I will also take her blow up floaty for her to use at the beach. I bought a fold up shade tent from Christmas Tree Shops that I can use on the beach to keep her shaded.

I'm taking a box of 76 diapers. Figure 7/day plus extras to allow for on/offs for swimming time, etc. Also taking swimmie diapers. Sun hats, beach robe, etc.

Only taking a few favorite toys. Her stroller bc she lovvvves walks and we can take her around the ship much easier. I also packed a body carrier (sling).

All in all- one large and one small suitcase for dd. One medium one for me. My...times have changed! LOL!

We're cruising in November with my DD who will be 27 months at the time. We're doing Dolphin Discovery for our Cozumel Excursion. I spoke with the park myself last week and they have a Dolphin Encounter program that allows you to kiss, hug, and shake hands with the dolphins on a platform in waist deep water. Kids ages 1 to 5 can participate for free with a paying adult. Dolphin Discover is located inside Chankanaab which has a beautiful fresh water pool with swim-up bar. A lagoon for beach play, gardens to explore, an eguina(sp?) trail, an outdoor play area for the kids, snack shop, and souviner shop. Just do a search for Chankanaab on the Ports of Call Cozumel board and you'll find tons of reviews with some great pictures!

Love this idea!! I am going to check this out. Thanks!!

Love this idea!! I am going to check this out. Thanks!!

Also, if you make your reservations through the Dolphin Discovery website or call in, they're giving a 30% discount on all reservations made in September that swim before November 30th. The ticket includes the entry to Chankanaab.

We're booking through the website vs. Carnival because Carnival didn't offer the Dolphin Encounter, just the Dolphin Swim. The park is only 15 minutes from the pier and a $10 cab ride each way. With the discount you get an all day excursion for 2 adults and a child for about $135. Considering everything that included. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I did that excursion when I was in Cozumel 2 years ago, it is such a nice activity, i did not know that kids were able to join.... have 2 consider that one...Thanks

We are cruising next month to Bermuda with our 1yo. We booked an outside room. Always have had balconies before- but couldn't justify twice the price this time. I bought a blow up tub and blow up pool and electric air pump from Target last week for 75% off. I will also take her blow up floaty for her to use at the beach. I bought a fold up shade tent from Christmas Tree Shops that I can use on the beach to keep her shaded.

I'm taking a box of 76 diapers. Figure 7/day plus extras to allow for on/offs for swimming time, etc. Also taking swimmie diapers. Sun hats, beach robe, etc.

Only taking a few favorite toys. Her stroller bc she lovvvves walks and we

can take her around the ship much easier. I also packed a body carrier (sling).

All in all- one large and one small suitcase for dd. One medium one for me. My...times have changed! LOL!

Thanks for the ideas....................

Also, if you make your reservations through the Dolphin Discovery website or call in, they're giving a 30% discount on all reservations made in September that swim before November 30th. The ticket includes the entry to Chankanaab..

We've booked this!!! My husband didn't want to do it so it will be me, my DD (14), DD (8), DS (10), for $207.00 Plus DS (15 months) can particpate at no charge. I thought this was a great deal! The rest of our no participating party pays $16 for entrance to park and can snorkel, use beach chairs and pool.

Thanks for the tip...

Tasha, I will let you know how this works out.

We've booked this!!! My husband didn't want to do it so it will be me, my DD (14), DD (8), DS (10), for $207.00 Plus DS (15 months) can particpate at no charge. I thought this was a great deal! The rest of our no participating party pays $16 for entrance to park and can snorkel, use beach chairs and pool.

Thanks for the tip...

Tasha, I will let you know how this works out.

That's great! I'm glad I was actually helpful for someone else around here, since these boards have been so helpful for me. I love to hear how it comes out, as we won't be going until late November. Have a great cruise!

Archived