5 hours at CDG?

tjljsc

So we have a 5 hour layover in Paris and I'm trying to decide how to best use the time. Here are my questions...

1. Does anyone know how I can book a "day room" at a nearby hotel to get some sleep? I'm not willing to spend a lot of money. Just looking for a clean bed and shower. We arrive around 11am and depart around 4pm.

2. If this is non-existant... do I have time to grab a cab or train to go see the Eiffel Tower? I'm fully aware that it would just be a drive by/photo op trip, but am I giving myself enough time to get through security, etc.?

3. If I can't sleep or see downtown Paris... is there anything cool to do around the airport area? Great restaurant for lunch? Museum nearby? Anything??

Thanks, all!

Five hours is not a lot of time. There is a hotel right at the airport (Sheraton) but I would not leave the airport. It's just not worth going back and forth and going through security.

Likewise it would take you at least 2 hours R/T to go to Paris so I would not do that.

I would just look at the duty free shops and have a nice lunch at the airport.

Keith

Five hours is not a lot of time. There is a hotel right at the airport (Sheraton) but I would not leave the airport. It's just not worth going back and forth and going through security.

Likewise it would take you at least 2 hours R/T to go to Paris so I would not do that.

Keith

I totally agree..it sometimes can take forever to get through all the security stations.One never knows what they are going to check for either.

So we have a 5 hour layover in Paris and I'm trying to decide how to best use the time. Here are my questions...

1. Does anyone know how I can book a "day room" at a nearby hotel to get some sleep? I'm not willing to spend a lot of money. Just looking for a clean bed and shower. We arrive around 11am and depart around 4pm.

2. If this is non-existant... do I have time to grab a cab or train to go see the Eiffel Tower? I'm fully aware that it would just be a drive by/photo op trip, but am I giving myself enough time to get through security, etc.?

3. If I can't sleep or see downtown Paris... is there anything cool to do around the airport area? Great restaurant for lunch? Museum nearby? Anything??

Thanks, all!

Agree strongly with Keith's key and wise points. De Gaulle airport is super massive and you might not fully appreciate the time it takes there to just get off of the plane, walk the long corridors, go through customs and security, etc. Will your bags be checked directly for your next flight?

Maybe you could get lucky and your plane could arrive early, allowing a quick (since it's mid-day when traffic is not as bad in Paris) cab ride into Paris, do a couple of quick camera shots and riding around before heading back in order to be back at the airport by 2 pm. Where is your flight coming from and headed to? All on the same airline within the same terminal? How many are in your party? Will you already have Euro's already in hand? TELL US MORE! It's possible, maybe, if. Is it worth the cost and hassle? Most probably, you will be lucky to arrive on scchedule, get de-boarded in an hour and be able to grab lunch and be ready for the next flight. It is hard to explain fully the massive size and confusions at this large airport.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Keith

The Sheraton, like all other airport hotels, is outside the security perimeter. There is also a Hilton, an Ibis and a Novotel at the other RER station from the one over which the Sheraton is built. All of these are walkable to the RER trains and the Hilton, Ibis and Novotel are also walkable to the inter-terminal shuttle bus; I don't believe that is true of the Sheraton.

The RER suburban electric trains run from two stations at the airport to and through central Paris, and are probably the fastest way to get into town. However, to get to the Eiffel Tower, you would have to change at St. Michel for a C line train. Also, the RER can be very confusing to use, since many lines branch out to several different destinations. And finally, some RER lines are run by RATP, the Paris transit agency and some are run by SNCF, the French national railroad; both occasionally suffer from strikes.

If you would settle for Notre Dame and a walk along the Seine, you could get out at St. Michel and you're there, without changing trains.

The Sheraton, like all other airport hotels, is outside the security perimeter. There is also a Hilton, an Ibis and a Novotel at the other RER station from the one over which the Sheraton is built. All of these are walkable to the RER trains and the Hilton, Ibis and Novotel are also walkable to the inter-terminal shuttle bus; I don't believe that is true of the Sheraton.

The RER suburban electric trains run from two stations at the airport to and through central Paris, and are probably the fastest way to get into town. However, to get to the Eiffel Tower, you would have to change at St. Michel for a C line train. Also, the RER can be very confusing to use, since many lines branch out to several different destinations. And finally, some RER lines are run by RATP, the Paris transit agency and some are run by SNCF, the French national railroad; both occasionally suffer from strikes.

If you would settle for Notre Dame and a walk along the Seine, you could get out at St. Michel and you're there, without changing trains.

I'm sorry. Makes no sense to go to Notre Dame with only a five hour layover. The five hours likely includes time to debark the plane. No way would I do this.

Keith

We had a 5 hour layover in Paris our first trip to Europe.

Just stay at the airport...... take a travel pillow and catch some zzzz's while waiting for your next flight.

This airport is indeed big and confusing. Then there is the French/English thing.......and even tho many speak English (broken) it is a bit hard to communicate. We had one customer service rep tell us our next gate was a 5 minute walk that way (pointing) and then we walked for about 20 minutes...... I don't think it was because we are slow walkers but more the massive amount of people all trying to get from point A to point B. Alot of dodging others with carryon in tow........

Oh....and we didnt even have to change terminals !!!! like some do.

You are lucky that you have a 5 hour layover in Paris - you will need the extra time just toget thru all their security. We will never go thru there again - we almost missed our flight both times going thru there. The security lines are horrible. Stay at the airport, 5 hours is not enough to go out and look at sights or to get a room.

If I can, I avoid CDG. The way the place is laid out and the many security checks make it a real adventure to change planes. I would stay at the Airport, get to the terminal your flight is leaving from and take advantage of whatever is in the vicinity of your gate.

Cheers

Enjoy as much as you can the layover in CDG. They have fantastic shops and wonderful restaurants. I drank so much cafe au lait that I couldn't sleep on my flight home. But I had the best cafe au lait of my life. And that sticky croissant thingy was memorable as well. I liked people watching.

I agree that 5 hours is not enough time to leave the airport. You could perhaps look into getting a day pass to the airport lounge of the airline you are flying.....most have these available at a price and you can at least have a few hours of peace and quiet.

I agree CDG, while a frustrating airport to transit, does have some good shops and food if you have time to enjoy them.

(P.S. I try never to book a flight that requires transfer through CDG, and if I do, I make sure to allow at least a 3 hour layover to make sure I have enough time to get to my connecting flight. Yes, it is that bad.)

We have a simialr lay over and are planning to simply take the metro (RER B is the one that services the airport) to the Eiffel tower for some pics with kids and lunch, and then back.

I've been to Paris many times, and if you limit yourself to ONE stop, you can make a quick trip. I've stayed at the HIlton beside the airport, but it was 260 Euro a night (i was there for business on this trip - i'd never pay that much myself). The airport is way out of town, so all the hotels are right on site, so they are pricey.

I don't think their security is any worse than a US airport - AND if your connection is to another European city (and not the US), its not bad in my opinion. Allow the same time you would in the US, and you'll be just fine.

We have had many layovers at CDG and spend the time browsing dutyfree shops (very nice). If you have a way to stay in your airline's private lounge I would recommend that. Once we finish using our last euros in the shops we wait in the lounge for Continental. It is a quiet space within the busy airport. They put out a lovely spread of pastry and beverages. If you don't have automatic access to the lounge, it is worth purchasing a lounge day pass for what ever airline you are flying. I'm not sure about CDG, but in some airline lounges they do have showers and changing rooms for travelers. They also have wireless and seating that is very comfortable.

I just want to strees one more time for those who might be reading this who also have similar layovers in my humble opinion stay at the airport. Do not try to go into Paris or other areas. Too much pressure, always a chance that the public transporation will fail, and very long security lines. Go back to Paris another time to make it a real visit.

Keith

I just want to strees one more time for those who might be reading this who also have similar layovers in my humble opinion stay at the airport. Do not try to go into Paris or other areas. Too much pressure, always a chance that the public transporation will fail, and very long security lines. Go back to Paris another time to make it a real visit. Keith

Agree 100%. It was 2 hours thru security for us flying Continental. And I have to add that shops, restaurants, etc. were extremely limited once were in the secure area.

The walk to the RER is long, add 10 minutes or so to get your ticket, and you might have a chance to pop up at St. Michel/Notre Dame, take a foto or two and then head back for the return trip to CDG.

Just treat your layover there as solely that and make the best of the time you have on the ground right at CDG. Check out this website for help:www.easycdg.com

Also if you have a Platinum American Express card they have lounges in many airports around the world. Really nice too. Paris airport has one near the duty free area.

The Plat. AE gets you into the airline lounges for American (Admiral's Club), Continental (President's Club), Delta and Northwest airlines and some Int'l Partner Airlines. I think the lounge you are referring to is the President's Club at CDG. The Platinum AE comes with many perks, but to us the use of the airport lounges is one of the best.

The Plat. AE gets you into the airline lounges for American (Admiral's Club), Continental (President's Club), Delta and Northwest airlines and some Int'l Partner Airlines. I think the lounge you are referring to is the President's Club at CDG. The Platinum AE comes with many perks, but to us the use of the airport lounges is one of the best.

Does this also apply for the Delta Skymiles Platinum AMEX card?

Archived