Cheap $5 walmart water shoes or name brand water shoes?

I bought a pair at Walmart but returned them and got a pair from Lands End. I have never used water shoes before but after stubbing my toe - I decided to give them a try. The Lands End ones were on sale and much better than the Walmart ones. They look strong enough to wear to and from the beach - and supposedly they dry fast.

Still waiting to actually try them:rolleyes:

My Wal-mart water shoes have made it through two cruises so far with a jet ski excursion, Dunn's river falls climb, Labadee rocky beach, Coco cay beaches, and a few other beach trips. My son's did all that but then disintegrated on a 5 day white water rafting trip.

Thanks for sharing :)

IMHO the less expensive ones will be just fine for the annual cruiser. Mine were bought cheaply and DH's are more expensive because I couln't find the less expensive ones in his size when I was looking for them. Often we have no beaches on a particular cruise that we need to use them. Other times we find one beach on a cruise where they're needed. Five cruises since I bought the ones we have and used twice so far. Used once here at home.

I bought a pair at Walmart but returned them and got a pair from Lands End. I have never used water shoes before but after stubbing my toe - I decided to give them a try. The Lands End ones were on sale and much better than the Walmart ones. They look strong enough to wear to and from the beach - and supposedly they dry fast.

Still waiting to actually try them:rolleyes:

I have Lands End water shoes, and they're probably five years old. I can't say that they get lots of use, but they're holding up very well. They're great for water sports and rocky beaches.

Mine are actually a child's size, and I bought them at Sears on clearance for something like $5.

had some from walmart i paid a buck for on clearance and hubby had some he paid more for from a sporting good store...we went tubing down the river last year and his fell apart...mine were just fine....i still have a pair from walmart that has a tiny whole where my foot got caught in rocks climbing dunn river falls...other than that they are just fine....if they only last ya a cruise or two...the $5 is worth it...look for the other $$$ brand maybe on clearance after the season if you want to TRY a pair of the $$$

kind!!!

If you will wear them everytime, then it's probably worth it. I've never brought "water shoes" on any cruise or to any beach!

If you just go to the beach you don't need them.

They're called water shoes because you wear them in the water.;)

I sure wish I would have had them for Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman since there were lots of stones intil you got into deeper water....ouch.

Certainly depends on what you're doing if you need them. We have needed them many times for snorkeling and they're a "must have" for Dunn's River Falls..

OP....go cheap. My cheapos have held up for 7 years and even survived a fair amount of walking in them.

Hi, we both use the cheepo kind and have worked just fine, for about 3 may be 4 cruises, save our feet , and when snorkeling my DH does not use the fins because they never have big enough ones to fit him properly , so he just uses his water shoes , works fine.

Cori

I love my land's end ones so much I got a second pair.

They can be worn more than just as 'water shoes'.

I wear them boating on our lake at home if I might or might not get in the water- they look like sneakers enough that they look decent with a pair of shorts.

I will wear them around town if we are headed to a snorkel excursion, and not worry if they get wet in the boat even though I am not wearing them in the water since I have my fins on. You can wear them out to lunch after snorkeling. :)

These shoes have decent support and I am comfortable wearing them around for a full day, which to me makes them totally worth the price.

Instead of the $5 ones at Walmart, I splurged & got the $8 ones. They look like mary janes, so they looked fine with shorts, too. They were sturdier, whereas the aqua socks (which I used when I had a pool) are softer. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. They are also easier to pull off in swift water when they are soft like that.

DH couldn't find any his size at Walmart, so he ended up getting some at Academy. I think they were $15-$17 there. They look similar to sneakers & have slits in the sole to help the water drain out instead of just sitting in the shoe.

The extra firmness in our water shoes made them more comfortable for walking around.

I have had water shoes and Teva's....Teva's are by far the best way to go. Why? I buy the Teva sandles that just have the straps that go across the toes and the heel - nothing gets trapped inside them - as in sand, gravel, rocks like water shoes collect AND they go where you go and you never have to change your "shoes" for any other activities. They are soooo versatile!! Just my thoughts :D

DH and I also got the cheapo ones from Walmart.... $1 in the clearance!

We wore them river tubing in Jamaica last year.... and went snorkelling almost daily in Egypt for 7 weeks this summer.... from a rocky beach....

They're fine.... we're taking them on our cruise next week!!!!

Best $2 we ever spent!! :)

I am trying to find a pair of water shoes for my uncle for our upcoming cruise. The problem is he needs a size 14 or 15. This is his first cruise. Don't know if he will ever use them again after this cruise. Any suggestions would be appreciated.;)

http://www.atafa.com/sports/products/Sprint_Aqua_Shoes_Swimming_Gears_Sporting_Goods-101296.html

$27.19 before shipping or taxes... :)

Thank goodness we bought the cheap ones before our trip to Panama, we did an excursion to an Indian village which involved canoeing on the Chagres River. We got out to swim at one point and the red silt bottom dyed everyones shoes!!! I was happy I hadn't spent more on them when we threw them out before we left the ship!!

I agree with someone's suggestion for Teva's, or in my case, a Teva-like cheap sandal. They are sturdier, less slippery and hold up better, plus while not being the most attractive sandal, they at least can be worn in "public." We use ours for canoing and rafting at home and will be going on our cruise next year. Bought ours at Walmart or Target, can't remember which but they were about $10/pair. :)

Archived