Really in need of advice...

mandyc3383

I'm trying to decide on what to do and where to go for vacation next year.

The two choices are:

A 7 day cruise on Carnival Dream to Mexico or a Disney land/sea vacation with a 4 day cruise on Wonder.

Now one of the big considerations is that the vaca will be in August. We do not want to vacation somewhere where it is unbearably hot and miserable. We expect heat and humidity in both places but would prefer the lesser of the evils I suppose.

What would you chose? Thanks!

The Disney vacation is about 50% more than the Carnival cruise... so at first that was a bit persuading.

No it's not a time share... although my brother has a timeshare. They do this land/sea package deal that reduces the prices some. Although I think I can get better prices by booking the land and sea portion seperatly.

My boyfriend wants to try out Dream and I would like to as well. Also I love the itinerary for Dream, but I am not just not sure about the weather. I also worry about tropical storms and such in Mexico in August.

I was trying to think it through and figure atleast in Disney there are places to take cover if it rains or it's unbearably hot. Heat isn't the real issue... but humidity certainly is. If your out on an excursion your kind of stuck out in the heat. I am sooo on the fence here!!!!

If you both want to try the Dream, go for it.

Orlando in August is miserable and you would be outside in the park. At least on a cruise you have the pools and can go inside where the a/c is on and do things too. August in S. Florida you hardly see anyone on the beach, its too hot, so Orlando is going to be muggy and too hot to really enjoy the park too.

Go on the cruise.

If you both want to try the Dream, go for it.

Orlando in August is miserable and you would be outside in the park. At least on a cruise you have the pools and can go inside where the a/c is on and do things too. August in S. Florida you hardly see anyone on the beach, its too hot, so Orlando is going to be muggy and too hot to really enjoy the park too.

Go on the cruise.

I agree with Firefly333 go on the Dream which = AC

I have cruised the caribbean in August, and didn't think the weather was too hot at all. I would do the Dream!!!!! There's a nice breeze on the ship, it's cheaper, and if it's too hot in the ports, stay on the ship. Whatever you pick, have fun!

Not enough money in the world to make me do Disney in the summer again-been there, done that and we risked life and limbs to keep from being run over by rude parents with strollers. That is a thrill ride all on its own.

No ocean breeze at Disney in the summer-just extreme heat and 100% humidity.

Save Disney for January/February and go the cruise. I was brave and went back again in February and it was so much better.

I am a disneyphile and would do Disney in August, but we have been so many times that we can literally walk into a park and do a few rides but spend much of the time sitting down and relaxing with a cool one. Disney in Jun/Jul is only for people who have no choice because of children summer vacation schedules. Disney in Aug is for people who are have been several times and are not trying to rush to see everything. The lines are shorter than Jun/Jul but the heat/humidity is still there.

If I were you I would do the cruise a lot easier to get in-doors to cool off

Take the cruise.

Disney in August is miserable and the lines are long, slow, and hot. I won't even do it because of the heat and I'm a native Floridian.

The heat is more tolerable on a cruise than standing in a long, hot line for a 30 second ride. :D

We did Disneyworld for a week in late July last year and the downpours were relentless! Had one almost every day we were there that lasted approx. 2 hours...we still had a blast (cuz it was our first time) but between the heat, rain and extreme humidity, I would not choose to go that time of year again...even the swimming pools were too warm! But, I have to say, the weather did make for shorter lines, I don't think we ever waited longer than 15-20 min. at the most, and several rides were 5 min. or less. (we only went on weekdays.) Use the fast-pass and take ponchos for everyone if you go (don't buy them in the park they are ridiculously expensive). As for Mexico in August, I couldn't say, but we will be there in 10 days...people say its VERY HOT, but I haven't heard anything about rain. Have fun!

Edeno

I absolutely love Disney World but you couldn't pay me to go there in the summer. I agree with those who say take the Dream if you truly are limited to those two choices. Since your main concern is heat, though, why not consider an Alaskan cruise? Everybody raves about Alaska.

Thanks everyone for advice! You're pretty much confirming what I was thinking... It's hard when you are torn between two things.

I would LOVE to go on a cruise to Alaska, but I would really like my parents to go along as well since they don't take many vacations and that is one that interests them, but they aren't available at that time. :(

You are sailing in August and going south. It is going to be hot in both places. If you have kids and they are younger. They might enjoy Disney and the shorter cruise. I would be going on the cruise on the Dream, but we don't have kids at home any more. You could look on the web and see what the difference is weather wise, and see what you think.

I'm trying to decide on what to do and where to go for vacation next year.

The two choices are:

A 7 day cruise on Carnival Dream to Mexico or a Disney land/sea vacation with a 4 day cruise on Wonder.

Now one of the big considerations is that the vaca will be in August. We do not want to vacation somewhere where it is unbearably hot and miserable. We expect heat and humidity in both places but would prefer the lesser of the evils I suppose.

What would you chose? Thanks!

Do a week at Disney...because that is how long it takes.....and then try to get a 5 or 7 day on Carnival out of Port Canaveral. The Disney land and sea is way overpriced, but if you really want to do DCL once for your kids, as we did, then please just book a land package at the parks at say a value resort, which are fabulous, get the free dining plan, which they offer in August (or they have for many years now) and then just get yourself over to the Port (about $100 via private car service) and do whatever cruise suits you.

The fact is that Disney knows that folks doing the land/sea are usually newbies to Disney and cruising ( sorry, but true) and they will structure a package just to make it easy for you and profitable for them.

So, my 2 cents would say, take as long a trip as you can......book as much time at DW as you can...be it a value or if you insist, a moderate resort....(you will never spend any time there, usless you do not want to see the parks or you want to bake in the unbearable August sun in Florida).....and then get yourself via, rental or car service to the Port and either do DCL, if you want the experience and are willing to pay the price or do Carnival.

If you do DCL, I would look for their 7 day itin as well....because it is just too expensive for 4 days on DCL. Now, of course if money is not an issue......and you want to rush around for a DCL land/sea and just let Disney plan your trip, that would be ok as well....it is just that you will not get the same bang for your buck.

I like to get the best deal possible because we like to travel often, and when Disney throws in the free dining plan it is incredible....that is if one can plan an itin and schedule for the days at the parks....and stick to it.

BTW, Florida in August is unbearbly hot, but DisneyW does a great job of keeping folks cool....and I for one feel energized in the August sun in Florida and my family feels the same. The trips to DW we have done in August would be close to 3X the amount in April, and the airfare is ridiculous so we would rather do it in August and it doesn't bother us at all.

Cruisin6,

I went to DW for the first time last January and loved it. There were alot of things that we missed that I would love to go back and see. I have heard great things about the Disney cruises as well. I would just book a 7 day Disney cruise however they don't offer a 7 day in August. They only offer a 3, 4, and 5. So I figured for the price the 4 would be the best bet with the land portion added. I don't think I would go for the land/sea package unless they came out with a great deal because I think I can book both seperately cheaper.

The hard part is I would like to do either and am aware that the weather is going to be difficult in both places... just not sure which place would be better to avoid the unbearable heat as much as possible. Alot of people are saying that the 7 day cruise is the way to go... and since I've never been to either place in August I'm thinking I should listen to the advice of others. Thankfully everyone has been so great with replying with their advice! This is why I'm on CC just about every day. :D

Archived