Price diff Oasis vs Dream

scperk

Oasis is a floating amusement park/shopping mall....

Dream is a cruise ship.

Well' date=' at least it is closer to the concept of a cruise ship than Oasis. :D But, it does have its' amusement park moments (or spaces if you prefer).

[img']http://z.about.com/d/cruises/1/7/e/I/4/Carnival_Dream_waterworks.jpg[/img]

And, I wouldn't set foot on RCCL's monstrosity!!!! Who the heck wants to cruise with 5000 people? Not my cuppa, for sure.

On this, you and I agree 1,000%. I cannot imagine embarkation on Oasis, let alone the dreaded debarkation. 5,000 souls, half of them seeking early debarkation. Even though I don't believe she has or will have tender ports, could you even imagine that scene?

I can't speak for everyone' date=' but lots of us cruise for the cruise experience; the sea, the ports, the relaxation. There is no comparison between Dream and Oasis - none.

Oasis is a floating amusement park/shopping mall....

Dream is a cruise ship.

Each will choose according to their preference.

Frankly, I don't even want to be in the same port as Oasis...much less sail on it.

G'ma, have you ever been on a Voyager up class ship on RCL? This is a yes or a no. I get the feeling people who use these analogys dont say it from real experience....since Voyager came out in 1999, its been 10 years that this class and bigger has been around. Just curious.

I also dont get the difference between being in port with 2 other ships or Oasis, since 2 Conquest sized ships will have more pax than Oasis. Iv seen ports with 5 ships scheduled, like St. Thomas.

----------------

People keep talking about 3 times the price on RCL. I guess I must be a whiz, because I can find prices below $500 every year to book my 7 day cruises on RCL.

Most of this talk just seems to sound like folks who havent done their homework. ...even the OPs original post. When we point out the price is $779 for the cheapest ES price he says he arrived at the price using a price from 4 months ago, and then subtracted his OBC, which he could have gotten the same OBC from RCL, but doesnt subtract the same $100 OBC from the RCL price. ...and then pretends its a fair comparison. Just bewildering ... I need a cruise ... oh yea, Im going on a B2B!!!! ignorance is bliss.

Carnival ships look like they were decorated by someone who took too many hits of acid. Gaudy floating party barges.

The Oasis is night and day different than the Carnival Nightmare.

You obviously haven't seen an NCL ship. Now that is gaudy.

To look at the 3 examples:

carnival-dream-rendering.jpgnorwegian-jewel-large.jpg

oasisheader.jpg

I am neither a Carnival lover or hater, but they sure have the best looking cruise ship (IMNSHO)

Been there, done that.

28-day freighter around South America 5 years ago and 21-days Valencia to Rome 3 years ago.

Loved every minute......

I'd love to try "EasyCruise", combining their 3 and 4 night Aegean Sea cruises....but can't justify the airfare.....yet......

If I live long enough, being a grumpy geezer and all..............:D

Floating pandemics waiting to happen is what they are.

They are too big to tender anywhere so tender ports are safe. I have a feeling if they ever need to abandon ship, they are going to be telling people to jump. :eek:

HA!!!!

Can you imagine the RCCL board if/when hurricane or weather systems prevent ports of call? Holy mackerel.

Are you a Sgt.?

I just checked the prices for the Oasis for the week I have booked for the Dream on Feb. 27,2010...We are going to be in port with the Oasis in St. Thomas and St. Martin and it's gonna be crowded....7 ships in St. Thomas on the same day (March 2nd).....Their prices are $1,139.00 for and inside room, I got one on the Dream for $519........:)...Dennis

You got a good deal, but you won't be sailing on the Oasis either. Which as we all know is a totally new cruise experience. Plus we also know that new ships cost way to much to sail on for the 1st year or so. If you are cruising for the ports, you can really save the money by going on the oldest ship possible.

However, you could have saved even more money by going with us on the dream the week of feb. 20, 2010! Crusie Critic group cruise! Discounts and perks all over the place!! :D

I too would looovveee to go on the Oasis, but even going further out like someone posted is still a lot of more money than Carninval. I checked the Oasis for next yeat (Apr-May) and it's still almost double of what I would pay on the Dream. Maybe 2011-2012...... :(

I honestly don't think the prices on the Oasis will ever go below say $800 starting. They're is way too much stuff on that ship for RCL to be able to bring that price down, like I said maybe in a feeeewww years when they've come out with like 2 or 3 new ships will their prices be somewhat affordable. :rolleyes:

Carnival ships look like they were decorated by someone who took too many hits of acid. Gaudy floating party barges.

The Oasis is night and day different than the Carnival Nightmare.

As I said, "in the eye of the beholder", dontcha know.

But, you're right about Oasis being "night and day". Will be interesting to see what happens after the first couple of seasons.....when the "new" has worn off, curiosity has been satisfied.

I've predicted Oasis and Allure will be purchased by the Sultan of Dubai and tied up at Dubailand (I'm not kidding folks) as floating resorts.

http://www.dubailand.ae/news_sahara.html

Others, like me, who speculate wildly, have offered other opinions on the fate of these overblown floating resort hotels..... I like mine the best, though.:p

I don't think most of these posts are to be taken seriously...just having a little fun......lighten up......:rolleyes:

Been there' date=' done that.[/b']

Oh believe me it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which posters to take serious........;)

Well, at least it is closer to the concept of a cruise ship than Oasis. :D But, it does have its' amusement park moments (or spaces if you prefer).

Carnival_Dream_waterworks.jpg

On this, you and I agree 1,000%. I cannot imagine embarkation on Oasis, let alone the dreaded debarkation. 5,000 souls, half of them seeking early debarkation. Even though I don't believe she has or will have tender ports, could you even imagine that scene?

I agree about the slide thingie that Carnival is so in love with...but, it doesn't effect me personally.....and, it doesn't take a 5000 passenger ship to hold it.....HA!

I never thought about early debarkation....holy cow! It's a nightmare now...can't imagine.

I don't think they would ever tender. Imagine how much time it would take to offload everyone - and then reboarding...YIKES. Even using two doors or three....

First day of school, teacher to little Johnny:

Teach: "Tell us what you did on your summer vacation, Johnny"

Kid: "We spent 7 nights floating around in an ocean somewhere"

Teach: "Really, what did you do?"

Kid: "Well, I took a ride on the merry-go-round, climbed up a rockwall. Mom and Dad let me go bowling"

Teach: "I thought you were on an ocean"

Kid: "We were. Mom said we were supposed to stop in Mexico or somthin but we never did"

Teach: "Did you have a good time?"

Kid: "Sorta. But Mom and Dad were real mad most of the time because they were fighting with the persuer or sombody."

Teach: "Gee, what were they fighting about."

Kid: "Well, Dad told the guy he'd paid a lot of money for a cruise or sumthin and didn't want to pay lots of money to float around in an ocean somewhere and have to pay for anything good. Dad said they were doing it so they could get more money from us or somthin like that".

Teach: "Seems like your Dad was really upset."

Kid: "Yeah, he was but Mom was really mad. She and about a thousand other people were all standing around holding signs and stuff and yelling at the guy in charge. It was really noisy."

Teach: "So, what did you do?"

Kid: "I went outside and walked around the park. I wanted to ride the merry-go-round again but there were about a thousand people in line".

Teach: "Did you enjoy your vacation?"

Kid: "Sorta...but Mom and Dad didn't. They said something about a sue or somebody and said we were going to Disneyland next time."

"

G'ma, have you ever been on a Voyager up class ship on RCL? This is a yes or a no. I get the feeling people who use these analogys dont say it from real experience....since Voyager came out in 1999, its been 10 years that this class and bigger has been around. Just curious. Was on the Navigator in 2004. Had a nice time. Nice ship.

I also dont get the difference between being in port with 2 other ships or Oasis, since 2 Conquest sized ships will have more pax than Oasis. Iv seen ports with 5 ships scheduled, like St. Thomas. Well, imagine those ships AND Oasis.......other ships aren't going to drop a port just because Oasis is there.

----------------

People keep talking about 3 times the price on RCL. I guess I must be a whiz, because I can find prices below $500 every year to book my 7 day cruises on RCL.

Most of this talk just seems to sound like folks who havent done their homework. ...even the OPs original post. When we point out the price is $779 for the cheapest ES price he says he arrived at the price using a price from 4 months ago, and then subtracted his OBC, which he could have gotten the same OBC from RCL, but doesnt subtract the same $100 OBC from the RCL price. ...and then pretends its a fair comparison. Just bewildering ... I need a cruise ... oh yea, Im going on a B2B!!!! ignorance is bliss.

I've been cruising for over 30 years....was a Tour Director/Cruise host for many of those years. I've cruised on many of the "newer" ships and many older ones....and many that are now defunct. I've cruised RCCL ships since Song of Norway, NCL since the Southward, Carnival since the Mardi Gras, Home Lines, Cunard, Celebrity, Costa and many more. I've never had a bad cruise on any of them.

When I'm payiing my own freight, I shop the right side of the menu. I'll take the lowest price for an unobstructed balcony for a solo cruiser. Carnival ALWAYS has the best price.

I also will NOT cruise on any ship that is filled with "for-fee" venues...period.... Carnival has NO for-fee venues except the specialty coffee/pastry concession and their reservations only supper club/steakhouses..... So far, Oasis is showing around 12 "for-fee" dining options out of 24....and it will probably go higher. Even room service is for-fee now during certain times.....honestly.

I don't care a hoot for ziplines, carousels, ice skating, bowling, rock climbing.....don't care about a park onboard with real trees and grass. Don't want to sail with a shipload of children (I've raised mine, thank you). These things are not my priorities.

What I want is a balcony cabin, good food, well prepared and attractively served without a charge, a good bottle of wine for the dining room, a port or two, meet a few friendly folks, play a little Caribbean Stud...and that's about it.

Look, Oasis is new and is exciting to many. Not to me, but probably to you. I think it's a monstrosity and will drag RCI further down the road to financial ruin. I firmly believe that if RCCL could have fortold the future, they would never have contracted for either of these ships and it's too bad they couldn't have bought themselves out of the 2nd one...like NCL was able to do. I think the first couple of times the ship can't make any port because of weather or hurricane or rough seas, that will be the end of it.

My opinion only, to which I am entitled.

I too would looovveee to go on the Oasis, but even going further out like someone posted is still a lot of more money than Carninval. I checked the Oasis for next yeat (Apr-May) and it's still almost double of what I would pay on the Dream. Maybe 2011-2012...... :(

I honestly don't think the prices on the Oasis will ever go below say $800 starting. They're is way too much stuff on that ship for RCL to be able to bring that price down, like I said maybe in a feeeewww years when they've come out with like 2 or 3 new ships will their prices be somewhat affordable. :rolleyes:

The only "stuff" on the Oasis that will prevent lowering prices is the huge debt. Somebody has to pay for these two ships....guess who that's going to be????:D

The OP posted that the number of ships in St. Thomas on 3/2 is seven (Pearl, EOTS, OATS, Dream, Freedom, Atlantica, Maasdam & Noordam). I went to a sight that listed 7 not including the Oasis. If she is in with all those other 7 ships there will be in excess of 230,000 passengers released on that island that day. (If the number is 7 including the Oasis, it is still 200K+ passengers).

I cannot fathom that. Havensight is going to literally be wall to wall people. In fact that wall will extend to the downtown shopping area. People normally gripe about being dumped in the old Coast Guard pier . . . . . I think that day they will be extremely happy to be so fortunate.

With the Oasis and Dream tied up to the pier (if that is the case) there are going to be a bunch of ships having to tender from the harbor and bay.

The next day Oasis and Dream supposedly will be in St. Maarten along with Solstice, Emerald Princess & Sea Princess. That puts 170,000 + ashore.

Both St. Thomas and Phillipsburg are going to be overwhelmed. Will be interesting to see how they are able to absorb and deal with this mob.

Probably going to be a lot of folks staying onboard both days.

IMNSO . . . . . . . . ridiculous.

I cruise Carnival because it does offer a nice variety of things to do.. if there were only chairs, the ocean and a good book... I'd be at the Jersey shore. :)

LOL...nice try but even just sitting on a ship and doing nothing else is a lot better than sitting at the Jesey shore.

There is a big difference between sitting BY the ocean and being on it.

You got a good deal, but you won't be sailing on the Oasis either. Which as we all know is a totally new cruise experience. Plus we also know that new ships cost way to much to sail on for the 1st year or so. If you are cruising for the ports, you can really save the money by going on the oldest ship possible.

However, you could have saved even more money by going with us on the dream the week of feb. 20, 2010! Crusie Critic group cruise! Discounts and perks all over the place!! :D

Janet you must have not read my post correctly, I'll be getting on as you are getting off...I paid $619 and have a future cruise certificate for another $100 off plus $100 OBC and $100 shareholders OBC...The only reason I'm sailing a new ship this early is we are cruising with some friends from California that we met on our Spirit cruise.....I cruise just to be on a cruise ship not for the ports as I have been to most ports multiple times....I'm gonna hate getting off in St. Thomas and St. Martin because of the amount of ships in each port(which includes the Oasis in both ports)......:)...Dennis

I booked Oasis for $1229pp in a D8 balcony. With my $100 shareholder OBC that is $1179 pp....I think I did pretty well considering. We booked early - thank goodness! I don't think many who sail on her will be frequent passengers. I also think the ship is the destination in this case and if a port was missed, I personlly would not care. I wouldn't sail her over and over, but I do want to say "been there...done that". :) And when I've had enough of the on board entertainment, I'll retire to my private balcony, read and/or just gaze out to the sea...it's not all or nothing. ;)

I think that Dream looks awesome and we are looking into booking it for 2011. Love the prices and the military discount has always been good to us. I have totally enjoyed all my Carnival cruises and will continue to do so for a long time to come. :)

The OP posted that the number of ships in St. Thomas on 3/2 is seven (Pearl, EOTS, OATS, Dream, Freedom, Atlantica, Maasdam & Noordam). I went to a sight that listed 7 not including the Oasis. If she is in with all those other 7 ships there will be in excess of 230,000 passengers released on that island that day. (If the number is 7 including the Oasis, it is still 200K+ passengers).

I cannot fathom that. Havensight is going to literally be wall to wall people. In fact that wall will extend to the downtown shopping area. People normally gripe about being dumped in the old Coast Guard pier . . . . . I think that day they will be extremely happy to be so fortunate.

I wouldn't book a cruise if there was going to be 7 Holiday size ships there......

We book by how many ships wil be in port at one time......

And sooner or later that is what will stop me from sailing.........

LOL...nice try but even just sitting on a ship and doing nothing else is a lot better than sitting at the Jesey shore.

There is a big difference between sitting BY the ocean and being on it.

LOL! Well for me if there were just chairs, a ocean and a good book on a ship I would rather be sitting by the ocean too;)

LOL! Well for me if there were just chairs, a ocean and a good book on a ship I would rather be sitting by the ocean too;)

if the Jersey shore had bar waiters, then I *might* agree with you.

oh hell, no I wouldn't. I'd still rather be ON the ocean. ;) I'm happy taking a whale watch for goodnes sake.....

I just checked the prices for the Oasis for the week I have booked for the Dream on Feb. 27,2010...We are going to be in port with the Oasis in St. Thomas and St. Martin and it's gonna be crowded....7 ships in St. Thomas on the same day (March 2nd).....Their prices are $1,139.00 for and inside room, I got one on the Dream for $519........:)...Dennis

That is because it is the Oasis! Much much more than the Dream. The first sailings are always pricey. Good luck at port. Oasis alone is over 5400 peeps.

We are booked for Oct at a great price. For us, its about the ship. There is SO MUCH to see and do. The flow riders, zip line, etc, all free. Can't wait. :D

Archived