Price diff Oasis vs Dream

scperk

Everyone cruises to some degree for the amenities. .

yes, but everyone likes different amenities. The amenities that RCCL offers are NOT what I look for in a cruise. To me, what they are offering on the Oasis is the feel of land...the feel of city, boardwalk, etc.

I don't need that on a ship.

I loved the EOS because it brought more of the ocean into the ship with all the windows. It was LOVELY!! (Although the rest of that cruise experience wasn't all that awesome.)

I cruise for sunshine (I am literally at the pool all day) and a few shows at night...OH...and being waited on. :D

That's all.

Agreed.

Long ago when several concept pictures and video showing a huge Carnival ship were leaked by Fincantieri many folks on this board were vociferous with excitement as many thought these pictures at the time either represented the Dream or Carnival's now-scrapped Pinnacle project.

Many, yes but again, not everyone. There were quite a few people who thought that little video was a bit much for a ship. I certainly did.

yes, but everyone likes different amenities. The amenities that RCCL offers are NOT what I look for in a cruise. To me, what they are offering on the Oasis is the feel of land...the feel of city, boardwalk, etc.

I don't need that on a ship.

I cruise for sunshine (I am literally at the pool all day) and a few shows at night...OH...and beign waited on. :D

That's all.

I dont cruise for ziplines or rock climbing walls either, but I do enjoy the beauty of a gorgeous ship. The wow factor when you first walk into a dining room on Voyager struck me, the promenade is gorgeous with the elevators all lite up. I enjoy seeing RCL ships from afar. Im afraid Carnival ships just look guady to me.. not that I wouldnt cruise them, but I dont understand limiting myself to just one cruiseline.

I prefer Ecstasy to Conquest, I just havent gotten into Conquest and the blasting of the new tv screen was a huge turn off, one more thing that I didnt enjoy on conquest. I read up by the pool and we couldnt hear ourselves up there last time, in May. Im going to be on conquest next two weeks and hope someone got them to turn down the decibels. We really missed being able to laze around the pool on Conquest last cruise. My sister wouldnt sit in the sun, so it wasnt a option to go up to the next level, we enjoy sitting around the edges where the tables are in the shade..and it was completely ruined by the big screen when the bands played...being blasted isnt my idea of ambiance on a cruise. I want to relax...On Voyager last time they had the out by the pool BBQ that was fun, not having to move very far to eat, and the bands arent so loud.

I dont cruise for ziplines or rock climbing walls either, but I do enjoy the beauty of a gorgeous ship. The wow factor when you first walk into a dining room on Voyager struck me, the promenade is gorgeous with the elevators all lite up. I enjoy seeing RCL ships from afar. Im afraid Carnival ships just look guady to me.. not that I wouldnt cruise them, but I dont understand limiting myself to just one cruiseline.

I prefer Ecstasy to Conquest, I just havent gotten into Conquest and the blasting of the new tv screen was a huge turn off, one more thing that I didnt enjoy on conquest. I read up by the pool and we couldnt hear ourselves up there last time, in May. Im going to be on conquest next two weeks and hope someone got them to turn down the decibels. We really missed being able to laze around the pool on Conquest last cruise. My sister wouldnt sit in the sun, so it wasnt a option to go up to the next level, we enjoy sitting around the edges where the tables are in the shade..and it was completely ruined by the big screen when the bands played...being blasted isnt my idea of ambiance on a cruise. I want to relax...On Voyager last time they had the out by the pool BBQ that was fun, not having to move very far to eat, and the bands arent so loud.

I agree with everything you just said. RCCL ships are so much more beautiful than CCL ships NO DOUBT about it. If the service on RCCL was also far superior and the food superior as well, then I'd be booking RCCL more often.

But it isn't.

For me personally, to have a more beautiful ship is not worth the extra money paid when everything else about that cruise experience is not even equal to my CCL experiences.

I know I need to give RCCL another shot. I only sailed them 1x....and I will give them another shot {one day} but I won't pay a lot to do so.

I too priced Oasis and found it too expensive .I will wait till prices come down or by then Allure might be out

Meanwhile my $$$ is going to Carnival and Princess

I think RCCL better rethink its prices .I have been on some of the Big ships Adventure,Freedom yes they are Unique and quite wonderful ...BUT NOT enough to justify 3 X the price of others ...I will wait

I just checked the prices for the Oasis for the week I have booked for the Dream on Feb. 27,2010...We are going to be in port with the Oasis in St. Thomas and St. Martin and it's gonna be crowded....7 ships in St. Thomas on the same day (March 2nd).....Their prices are $1,139.00 for and inside room, I got one on the Dream for $519........:)...Dennis

Same reason our family has booked Dream for June. And we're very excited to be going on a new ship with new ports. (we're doing the western itinerary) Also, my husband is really excited about the Cove Balconies. :D

Agreed.

Long ago when several concept pictures and video showing a huge Carnival ship were leaked by Fincantieri many folks on this board were vociferous with excitement as many thought these pictures at the time either represented the Dream or Carnival's now-scrapped Pinnacle project.

Today, it's amusing to see many of those same people react with disgust at any news of Oasis.

And back on topic, I paid almost $13,000 for my cruise on Oasis where I could have saved some $$ and booked a Cat. 12 on the Dream the same week for $4600. Is the $8400 price difference worth it? In my opinion, yes.

So you could have booked a B2B2B for the price you paid for the Oasis....I guess I'm just not willing to spend that much money for one cruise with a mall on the ship........Dennis

More like steaks and "lemons!" How do they charge prices like that, have more berths available, and lose money while Carnival banks Multi-millions each quarter?

Carnival has always had a brilliant marketing strategy and has always been financially conservative...from Day One.

That's how the "dinky little cruise company" that everyone laughed at in the 1970's became the largest cruise company in the world---owning those who looked down their noses.

What you cruise? What does that mean:confused:

Dream or Oasis.......how can you compare the two?

I can't speak for everyone, but lots of us cruise for the cruise experience; the sea, the ports, the relaxation. There is no comparison between Dream and Oasis - none.

Oasis is a floating amusement park/shopping mall....

Dream is a cruise ship.

Each will choose according to their preference.

Frankly, I don't even want to be in the same port as Oasis...much less sail on it.

Are you related to G'ma or is this what we get to look forward to when we get old and retire:confused::p:D

Kurb, I'm shocked.

"Old" is only a word, after all.

Maturity, wisdom and life experience are real...and retirement is great!!:D

And, I share Dan's opinion many times.

And, I wouldn't set foot on RCCL's monstrosity!!!! Who the heck wants to cruise with 5000 people? Not my cuppa, for sure.

Well excuse me if I stepped on your toes because I wonder about RCL's business model of, "We lose money on EVERY sale, but the volume makes up for it!"

I was happy cruising when ships were 17,000 GRT. And a 220,000GRT ship ONLY means I'm cruising on a bigger ship. None of the other junk means beans to me. I could climb walls at home, don't. I could ice skate at home, don't. I could play basketball at home, rarely do. I could play miniature golf ant home, very rarely do. I could in line skate at home, don't. The only thing that does interest me IS the cruising! And I do not mind the big ships for cruising. But I have no interest in paying extra for things I'm not going to use and hold no interest for me. Those that want to, good for them, and I find no fault in them for enjoying other aspects of cruising. But, for me, the CRUISE is the pleasure.

Why is RCL losing money? Spending more than they have, same as the USA cruiseline.:eek: AND the California cruiseline!

Exactly!!!

I surely don't want to cruise on a floating "Disneyland"...I don't even like the land-based Disney.

I cruise for the sea....the rest of it has holds no attraction for me so I certainly wouldn't pay those prices for the privilege of being there...... Others who want the shopping mall experience can have at it....if they want to pay the freight.

Not for me.....I'll stick to cruising.

Oasis of the Seas does look spectacular, and I am glad she is coming to Fort Lauderdale, great for the economy here <grin>

However, with that sort of price difference my own "economy" won't even let

me think about booking Oasis, at least not for a very long long while.

Any time I have thought about RCI I have to remember that I would never use half the stuff there....flowrider, rock wall, and now I would not use the carousel.

I know they are building that new terminal for Oasis, but I still wonder how traffic will lead into that, and how the terminal will handle their already bulky and line forming procedure of checking ID's before entering the terminal??

Non-smokers won't like the ship anyway........:D:D

I think the Oasis is nice but not for those prices... I would book 2 Dream cruises before I went on RCCL. The problem with Oasis is that I would be on a ship with MORE RCCL SNOBS! I look at them like Red Socks fans... Think they are better just because and most of the time dont know what they are talking about... (:

You might just have to give up on the Caribbean all together when Allure debuts then. One will sail Eastern while the other is sailing Western.

Ah, but careful strategy will be in play.

For instance, Oasis has it's own portage at most of the islands. In some cases, like Jamaica, it will be in Falmouth...which is miles away from Ocho Rios - or Montego Bay. For me, I never go far from port in Ocho Rios...preferring to sip a cold Red Stripe and have a plate of REAL jerk at my favorite jerk shack located right outside the fence....maybe stroll down to Island Village.

St. Thomas? About the only thing I do there is take the tram up to Paradise Point to enjoy the magnificent views and have lunch. Once in a while, I'll rent a car and wander up to Drake's Seat.

Nassau? I don't get off the ship there anyway....last time I was there, I didn't leave anything behind. The only time I go to Nassau is for a quick getaway...I fly in.....and stay away from town. (Except for having dinner at Grey Cliffs).

There are many ways to avoid Oasis and Allures 10,000 people...for a few years anyway...which, I suspect, will represent the life of these monstrosities.

Then, there's always the Southern Caribbean, Panama Canal...lots of options.

It's going to be interesting to see what these ships do during hurricane season when they can't reach a port or two. It's not as if they can drop anchor and tender or tie up at any island. I see lots of sea days and cruises to nowhere on these vessels.... At least there'll be plenty to do onboard....to separate ya from your money......:D;)

I agree with everything you just said. RCCL ships are so much more beautiful than CCL ships NO DOUBT about it. If the service on RCCL was also far superior and the food superior as well, then I'd be booking RCCL more often.

But it isn't.

For me personally, to have a more beautiful ship is not worth the extra money paid when everything else about that cruise experience is not even equal to my CCL experiences.

I know I need to give RCCL another shot. I only sailed them 1x....and I will give them another shot {one day} but I won't pay a lot to do so.

Well, "beauty" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, heh? I love the Old Masters and think Picasso strange and unpleasant.

Almost any cruise ship is beautiful.....

Frankly, I think Carnival ships are dazzling, exciting, daring and outrageous. I also think Facus is a genius..... but that's just me.:D

I too priced Oasis and found it too expensive .I will wait till prices come down or by then Allure might be out

Meanwhile my $$$ is going to Carnival and Princess

I think RCCL better rethink its prices .I have been on some of the Big ships Adventure,Freedom yes they are Unique and quite wonderful ...BUT NOT enough to justify 3 X the price of others ...I will wait

Well, they gotta pay for those 2 ships somehow....

If you cruise for the love of sailing and being on a ship and not the amenities on the ship, then it's not apples to oranges.

If that is what we were comparing......then yes I agree:D

It seems the Dream and the Oasis are pretty high up there with all the amenities........

yes, but everyone likes different amenities.

No argument there.........but some seem to think so........

So you could have booked a B2B2B for the price you paid for the Oasis....I guess I'm just not willing to spend that much money for one cruise with a mall on the ship........Dennis

Everyone has a budget granted.......if it not worth it to you then there are plenty of options.......

But this whole mall thing is so overated to say the least........

Kurb' date=' I'm shocked.

"Old" is only a word, after all.

Maturity, wisdom and life experience are real...and retirement is great!!:D

And, I share Dan's opinion many times.

And, I wouldn't set foot on RCCL's monstrosity!!!! Who the heck wants to cruise with 5000 people? Not my cuppa, for sure.[/quote']

You are right........I should have said "cranky" not "old".....please forgive me:p:D

Exactly!!!

I surely don't want to cruise on a floating "Disneyland"...I don't even like the land-based Disney.

I cruise for the sea....the rest of it has holds no attraction for me so I certainly wouldn't pay those prices for the privilege of being there...... Others who want the shopping mall experience can have at it....if they want to pay the freight.

Not for me.....I'll stick to cruising.

This might interest you........

http://budgettravel.about.com/cs/cruisesdeals/a/cruise_cargo.htm

It's going to be interesting to see what these ships do during hurricane season when they can't reach a port or two. It's not as if they can drop anchor and tender or tie up at any island. I see lots of sea days and cruises to nowhere on these vessels.... At least there'll be plenty to do onboard....to separate ya from your money......:D;)

Floating pandemics waiting to happen is what they are.

They are too big to tender anywhere so tender ports are safe. I have a feeling if they ever need to abandon ship, they are going to be telling people to jump. :eek:

Well' date=' "beauty" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, heh? I love the Old Masters and think Picasso strange and unpleasant.

Almost any cruise ship is beautiful.....

Frankly, I think Carnival ships are dazzling, exciting, daring and outrageous. I also think Facus is a genius..... but that's just me.:D[/quote']

Carnival ships look like they were decorated by someone who took too many hits of acid. Gaudy floating party barges.

The Oasis is night and day different than the Carnival Nightmare.

They are too big to tender anywhere so tender ports are safe. I have a feeling if they ever need to abandon ship, they are going to be telling people to jump. :eek:

Actually Carnival is the one that has the jumping thing down to a "T". :D Remember, floating party barges.;)

Carnival ships look like they were decorated by someone who took too many hits of acid. Gaudy floating party barges.

The Oasis is night and day different than the Carnival Nightmare.

Ok what are we 5 years old:rolleyes: Why would anyone take either of your posts seriously:confused::rolleyes:

Archived