Choosing a Christmas Cruise

beachbird

I have decided to take the family on a cruise over Christmas - my wife, daughter (16) and son (12). We have cruised on Disney 3 times, but that was over 6 years ago. I have found some decent fares on 7-9 day cruises on other lines (no way I am paying for Disney on this one) over Christmas, and think we are ready to branch out!

Here are my impressions so far after calling and talking to the cruise lines directly today:

RC - felt like I was being rushed off the phone, talking to someone with an accent, sounded like I was on with tech support (lots of noise in the background, etc.). Very impersonal, not interested in "talking" to me about options, etc. I asked about 2 different boats, but she just wanted to email me two options (which she did) and then hung up. I learned more from their website than I did talking to the rep.

Norwegian - Really nice guy, very relaxed, talked to me for almost 40 minutes, helped me search things every which way on the Dawn. We looked at suites, balcony, and then ultimately found the best deal, going with a balcony room for me & the wife, and an inside room for the kids across the hall. He took a small deposit to hold it for me for 3 or 4 days with the ability to cancel without any penalty. Very impressed.

Princess - nice lady, did not have many fare options for the Crown, but was helpful. I cooled a bit after the call, but mainly because of how impressed I was with calls to Norwegian and Carnival.

Carnival - the dark horse... I had a long-standing impression that this was the Wal-Mart of cruise lines, but the gal I talked to was amazing. Very friendly and conversational, gave me options on a couple of different boats, an ultimately helped me find a great deal on the Liberty (2 rooms - balcony and inside across the hall).

So after all of this, here is my analysis: I started off the day thinking I would go with the Crown Princess (from a quick study of fares and reading reviews on cruisecritic.com). That was my first call, and it sounded pretty good with a decent fare.

Then I called Norwegian and was really impressed with the guy who helped me, and went back to cc.com and was impressed with the boat and began to think this was the way to go, although I worry that 9 nights might be too many! (But I actually have a reservation)

Next was Royal Caribbean, and the call lasted less than 5 minutes and I was so turned off that I have moved on... I think the newer boats are probably good for my teenagers, but if their rep on the phone is like this, then I worry that the boat will feel the same way - too big, and too impersonal.

Finally, I decided to give Carnival a call to check on the new boat (Dream), and was really impressed with the friendly gal that helped me. Just as was the case with Norwegian, she worked with me to look at every possible room type or combination, and we then looked at the Liberty and found a really great deal. In fact, well over $1000 less than any other option. So suddenly Carnival may be the top contender.

Tonight, we plan to scour cruisecritic and try to make a decision. If by any chance you have not yet fallen asleep on your keyboard reading this - my novel-length first post on these boards - and you have any input or insight, I would love to hear YOUR impressions of MY impressions!

Thanks!!

j-bird

I would not base my decisions on the people you spoke with on the phone because good or bad I don't see this being any correlation to the cruise. If you used a TA you wouldn't even be talking with these people.

Keith

True, but it certainly means something. There has to be a starting point for me to find something to base my decision on, which is why I decided to call the lines directly rather than pick a random TA. The reason for my post is to get opinions from others who have cruised these lines, who can give me their input. I'm sure if I tried 4 different TA's, I would have four different vibes. That is what I love about boards such as this one - it is a great place to get input from people.

Thanks for the response - should I glean from it that you are a fan of RC and that I should re-consider going with them?

j-bird

I would have to agree with Keith. The person on the phone will have absolutely nothing to do with what kind of cruise you will experience. I have had surly persons from every cruise line and I've spoken to really great ones, but there was absolutely no correlation between what happens on the ship. To be honest, most of those you speak with have never been on a cruise.

With that said, I've been on all for lines, multiple times each, and I would rank them, highest to lowest: Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL. Realize this is personal opinion only and that's what you're going to get from anyone on these boards, but I feel for the money, Princess offers the best overall product in terms of food and service. But with kids the age of yours, I think Royal Caribbean wins hands down. They offer a lot to keep the kids busy and a lot for adults to enjoy. I'm not at all a fan of NCL. Don't like their casual atmosphere all the time, don't care for the food and I find their service to be lacking when compared to other lines I've been on. One thing you may find on NCL is a wait time to get a table in their main restaurant if you want to go at their busiest times.

I would have to agree with Keith. The person on the phone will have absolutely nothing to do with what kind of cruise you will experience. I have had surly persons from every cruise line and I've spoken to really great ones, but there was absolutely no correlation between what happens on the ship. To be honest, most of those you speak with have never been on a cruise.

With that said, I've been on all for lines, multiple times each, and I would rank them, highest to lowest: Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL. Realize this is personal opinion only and that's what you're going to get from anyone on these boards, but I feel for the money, Princess offers the best overall product in terms of food and service. But with kids the age of yours, I think Royal Caribbean wins hands down. They offer a lot to keep the kids busy and a lot for adults to enjoy. I'm not at all a fan of NCL. Don't like their casual atmosphere all the time, don't care for the food and I find their service to be lacking when compared to other lines I've been on. One thing you may find on NCL is a wait time to get a table in their main restaurant if you want to go at their busiest times.

Thanks Darcie (and again, thanks Keith). Maybe I should re-consider RCI, as many people have made similar comments about the age of my kids and this line. I guess it gets back to CapeCodCruiser's point - is RCI really worth almost $1500 more than Carnival for essentially the same thing? These two lines seem better choices for my kids, while NCL or Princess would be my choice if it were just my wife and me. (I am the opposite of you - I HATE formal... please don't make me wear a coat & tie! :D)

We have done a Christmas cruise recently on Princess and while cruising over the holidays was not for us, we are the first to say that Princess does a great job at it and it would be terrific for families and extended families. I am sure that you will enjoy whichever line you choose.

While I completely agree with the fact that those that you talked to on the phone do not at all represent your actual cruise experience I do think there is a great deal to be said for the never sailed on the lines person that makes these first calls and how it will effect your actual cruise. You REALLY liked the NCL and Carnival people so IF the first impression on either ship weren't the best you would be more likely to be forgiving, at least at first. Your bad experience with RCI on the phone would mean that if your first impression on the ship wasn't so good you'd REALLY not be a happy person immediately. No real point except it is interesting to think about.

We love Princess but always enjoy our Carnival cruises. Not been on RCI or NCL but have read and researched a lot. Here's my take, for the kids top picks are RCI or Carnival. No tie or coat award winners NCL or Carnival. Price winner Carnival. You did not tell us the itineraries so not sure which would be the winner in that category. Ship winner not sure what they all are and not familiar enough with the NCL ships to judge this one.

I do admit to having a hard time thinking RCI would be worth $1,500 more than Carnival for the same number of nights and very similair itineraries? I do think Princess is worth more than Carnival but if it were the same number of nights with very similar itineraries I'd have to think hard for a full $1500 difference as that $1500 would cover all my other expenses while on the cruise with money left over if it were a 7 night cruise.

None of these lines are Disney. You are not going to be able to help not making comparisions even if it has been a few years since you cruised. I guess when it comes right down to it, NCL might not be the line I'd personally pick but but as long as I checked out the kids programs and they checked out I think I might end up going with your first instincts after getting off the phone if I were you. Of coarse I love the longer cruises so 9 nights appeals to me;) which ever you pick you will have a good time and if it snot the perfect cruise you have the next cruise to try another line to see how that one goes:)

Can't wait to hear what you choose.:)

Take a closer look at the quality of the ships, the itinerary, and the departure and arrival times that suit you, and of course the price - those might be more important factors on which to base the choice of cruises on.

Where were you interested in going? Exactly how much time do you have? I think the nice folks here will be more than helpful in assisting you if they know more about what you are interested in doing.

Great input - thanks to all.

Here are the choices - all rates include 2 cabins, 1 inside and 1 balcony:

Norwegian Dawn: 9 nights, $4696.44, Samana DR - Tortola - Antigua - Barbados - St. Kitts - 3 days @ sea

Carnival Liberty: 7 nights, $3136.44, Cozumel - Grand Cayman - Ocho Rios - 3 days @ sea

Crown Princess: 7 nights, $4016.00, Grand Cayman - Roatan - Cozumel - Princess Cays - 2 days @ sea

RCI Independence of the Seas: 6 nights, $4335.20, Belize City - Costa Maya - Cozumel - 2 days @ sea

I realize many people have favorite lines, but it is great to get all of the input and opinion!! Thanks again. I will book something by Saturday, so hit me up with your vote. (Maybe I should turn it over to you guys, and actually let the vote choose?? :rolleyes:)

Personal opinion only, but your price per day per person, plus the ports, make NCL the obvious choice. The cost per person per day with RCI is ridiculous for the ports included. Carnival is the best price, but the weakest in ports. (You couldn't PAY me to get off a ship in Jamaica!)

Personal opinion only, but your price per day per person, plus the ports, make NCL the obvious choice. The cost per person per day with RCI is ridiculous for the ports included. Carnival is the best price, but the weakest in ports. (You couldn't PAY me to get off a ship in Jamaica!)

My preference would be Crown Princess over Carnival Liberty and I have been on both. It is a much nicer ship, especially with the larger freshwater pools (hate the Carnival pools and their whole pool area :mad:) The Liberty also may be a big step down from the Disney ships. I would cross the RCI ship off the list because it is one less day and more money than the Crown Princess. I have heard nice things about the NCL newer ships but not enough to help you out here. But I think your choice is between the Dawn and Crown.

My priority is always ports and price. The cruise line and ship are not big concerns.

Using those standards the Dawn or Princess would win with me. RCL looks too expensive for only 6 days. Plus not great ports.

I have not yet taken a NCL cruise but have one booked in November. Not having to pack formal wear is a huge bonus with me. I have teenagers too and look for as many port days as can.

My priority is always ports and price. The cruise line and ship are not big concerns.

Using those standards the Dawn or Princess would win with me. RCL looks too expensive for only 6 days. Plus not great ports.

I have not yet taken a NCL cruise but have one booked in November. Not having to pack formal wear is a huge bonus with me. I have teenagers too and look for as many port days as can.

With me, ships taken on a greater importance the more sea days there are. The Liberty is a decent enough ship. But 3 days in that Lido pool area would drive me up a wall.

Norwegian Dawn: 9 nights, $4696.44, Samana DR - Tortola - Antigua - Barbados - St. Kitts - 3 days @ sea

Carnival Liberty: 7 nights, $3136.44, Cozumel - Grand Cayman - Ocho Rios - 3 days @ sea

Crown Princess: 7 nights, $4016.00, Grand Cayman - Roatan - Cozumel - Princess Cays - 2 days @ sea

RCI Independence of the Seas: 6 nights, $4335.20, Belize City - Costa Maya - Cozumel - 2 days @ sea

I realize many people have favorite lines, but it is great to get all of the input and opinion!! Thanks again. I will book something by Saturday, so hit me up with your vote. (Maybe I should turn it over to you guys, and actually let the vote choose?? :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the additional facts! The Norwegian itinerary gets my vote, and it's not even close. Nice ports, nice ship, longer cruise - that's an easy choice for me.

With me, ships taken on a greater importance the more sea days there are. The Liberty is a decent enough ship. But 3 days in that Lido pool area would drive me up a wall.

Good morning, beachbird! :o Our family of 4 has cruised on both Carnival and most recently on RC Explorer of the Seas in June. I think that you have selected 4 great ships and itinerary. Here is my opinion - never one not to give it. :cool: I will only speak towards Carnival and RC as that is what I know. I think Princess might not be the best choice because of the kids and I haven't heard good things about Norw. from friends that have cruised on it.

We LOVED the RC ship. It was big, full of fun things for the kids- who we rarely saw unless we hunted them down on the Sports Deck or in the teen center. We enjoyed the nightly Trivia and some family Kareoke (sp?) instead of the Vegas-style shows, which aren't that great - in my opinion. We didn't like them on either ship - although it is pretty cool to see the ice show on the RC ship and see what they can do in that small space!

Food: better on Carnival but more choices on RC as far as Johnny Rockets for the kids; pizza better on Carnival; I will tell you this - on RC for the top filet mignon steaks in the dining room, there is a $14.95 surcharge but the 2 people in our group who got them said that they were fantastic but if you like beef and you want it a few times, it will add up. I don't know if they do the same on the Carnival ship now, too, due to rising costs. The regular beef each night was fine - our daughter ordered it nightly- but the last night she got the filet and it was melt-in-your-mouth delicious!

Kids Activities: better on RC - climbing wall, flowrider, golf, skating

Overall Service: same

Adult Pool Area: RC is wonderful - we spent several afternoons chillin' away from all the kids on the ship in this area

Excursion Desk: Carnival - RC has limited hours BUT you can book everything in your cabin or book online before you go. I find w/ excursions, unless you shop, the excursion people are never very helpful. I often wonder if they have ever actually taken any of the excursions themselves?

For us, we like a port where we can snorkel but when you live at the beach, as I assume you do given your name, it isn't necessary to find ports of call that are beautiful beaches as so many on here do. You might want to check the available excursions online as there may be something there that sways you - like if Liberty in Costa Maya has the option to go to the Mayan ruins of Chichen-Itza which are phenom. and should be visited or if either ship has zip lining through a rain forest - way cool!

It is a tough call though between the two - especially with the big price difference. Think about what you want out of the cruise - if it is relaxation and family time, stick with the one with more days at seas - knowing that the ship will be packed to the gills because it is Christmas. We only ever felt squashed on the pool deck on days at sea between 10-3pm - we just found quiet areas on upper decks and avoided the crowds. If it is places you want to see and ports are important, go with that to sway you, keeping in mind that the ship isn't in port that long and it is an early start to the day if you want to take full advantage - typically 8 - 5pm. We don't always want to hurry up and get off the ship that early.

Let me know if you have questions but I would lean toward choosing between RC and Carnival - despite the rude person on the phone. ;)

Good morning, beachbird! :o Our family of 4 has cruised on both Carnival and most recently on RC Explorer of the Seas in June. I think that you have selected 4 great ships and itinerary.

Let me know if you have questions but I would lean toward choosing between RC and Carnival - despite the rude person on the phone. ;)

Thanks Cruising Mom! One thing that seems pretty consistent, is that with my two teenage kids the obvious choice is Carnival or RCI, as these ships are heaven for this age group. Thanks for all the good stuff to chew on...

As several have pointed out, NCL provides the best value and ports, but I am a tad worried about 9 nights being too long (although my wife begs to differ!). And though it is a good value, it is still about $5k before any added expenses...

Keep the good stuff coming! I love you guys, really!!! :cool:

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Message boards like this are IMHO the best of the internet - nothing I use the net for is more worthwhile!

With that said, I've been on all for lines, multiple times each, and I would rank them, highest to lowest: Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL.
Opinions are always personal, but when I see the same rankings over and over, that starts to give them some credibility. I've been on the four cruise lines Kitty mentions, plus Celebrity and Holland America. I'd do my rankings HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, then NCL. The top three are so close that it comes down to itinerary and cost for us. We sailed most recently on HAL and Celebrity right before that and are booked next on Princess.

It's getting close to the final payment dates for Christmas cruises. If you wait a week, you might see prices come down. (And of course they can also increase--it's a gamble.)

My other observation is one that I read here--don't upgrade your cabin, upgrade your ship. So little of my cruise experience is tied to the cabin. It's more in the food, the entertainment, the activities, the ship's facilities.

Seems like you have alot of thinking to do and I'm sure whichever you choose you will enjoy. I've only cruised with Carnival and NCL and liked them both...maybe NCL more because it was my dream cruise around Hawaii...lol...and I'm going back in 2012.

CC has alot to offer and alot of people offering....but in the end you will choose, be it for the ship, the food, ports of call, or the duration.....

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Vacation!

gg

Still drawn to NCL because of freestyle cruising. I don't like to dress up and like the concept of eating where & when I want to. I have also now found 7-night cruise on the Pearl or Jewel with fares in line with RCI or Carnival...

Carnival just called me back, pushing for me to book... Oct. 4th is the final payment date if I choose to book with them. Still undecided...

First, if there are rooms available , which there will still be becasue some people will cancel before final payment, you can still choose Carnival after Oct 4th but your entire cost of the cruise will be due (all the cruiselines will have a date similar to that where if you book after that date the entire cost will be due) and you will be in the penalty phrase after that where you will loose money if you do cancel. Don't let them push you into booking if you are not ready.

Thanks for the additional info to "vote" with:D

RCI is way overpriced at abt $722 per day and only 6 days. But the kids will likely enjoy the ship the best. WE've only been to Cozumel and LOVED the beach there.

Carnival at abt $448 per day is the least expensive. Kids should enjoy the kids program. YOU don't have to wear a tie and suit to elegant night if you don't want to (that is the cruiseline's rule even if others here try to tell you other wise and yes my dH does choose to, but that is his option;)) We like the itinerary but there are some that do not like Jamaica- tends to be either be a love it or hate it thing. Grand Cayman is a tender port and does get missed becasue of that if weather conditions don't allow you to tender. Great beachs at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Not been on the Liberty but have seen good things written and may likely be the next Carnival ship we book.

Princess is a good itnerary overall. Some nice beach time. And at abt $575 per day a good value for what you will get. We don't have teens but have heard those saying that are cruising with us that the kids did like the kids program. The ship tends to get mixed reviews but I'm not sure why. The ship will be the ship out of the ones you have chosen with the traditional seagoing decor. Attending your two formal nights will be dressing up a bit but you won't need your tux Don't need to dress fancy for the other nights in the dining room but out of the four cruiselines the one with the more dressed nicely in the dining room.

NCL comes in with the abt $555 per night cost. 9 night means the most costly but per night reasonable compared to others. More nights more tip cost and more days to spend money while on the ship;):eek: More ports to also spend money in. No info here on kids programs. Dress casual for all meals if you like in dining rooms which is something you said you'd prefer;) BEST itineary by far. Can't comment on ship itself.

Ok, no RCI, way too costly per day and even comparing to the other's overall cost still too expensive for less days. If I had the money I think NCL may be the best choice but would have to go on the NCL board and check out the kids program better and look at what the ship actually has to offer. We prefer the Princess experience but when money is a factor for us we always have a good time on Carnival. If money is a major factor I'd definately be booking Carnival. Good kids program, decend ship, ok itineary and a 7 night Christmas cruise at a good price. Life doesn't get better than that!:D

I have not been on all these ships but have been on NCL and it was awesome. Granted it was our first cruise and we were in total awe. We loved the casual atmosphere, didn't have to dress to the "nines" but we did one night anyway. We are going on the Liberty for Christmas on that exact cruise you are looking at, and the reason we picked Liberty after talking to a few friends that have sailed on her is the fact we got great reviews at what an awesome family cruise line carnival is. We have 8 of us sailing on her in December from ages 66 down to 13.

You and your family need to way your options on which cruise line meets your requirements as well as the ports of call.

Good luck deciding and if you pick the Liberty hope to see you join the roll call.

Still drawn to NCL because of freestyle cruising. I don't like to dress up and like the concept of eating where & when I want to. I have also now found 7-night cruise on the Pearl or Jewel with fares in line with RCI or Carnival...

You do not have to dress up on Carnival either anymore, they have really tamed down their clothing requirements. My husband and brother and nephews are not big at dressing up either not in a tuxedo or suit. They may wear dress shirt and dark pants or jeans and a tie but that would be the extent of it, well except my hubby no tie for him, a dinner jacket yes but not tie..lol

It even says on the carnival clothing restrictions that a suit and tuxedo are not manadatory on the formal nights, heck I have read that some men wear dress shorts on formal nights now.

Archived