Turning back for late-comers

warringtonian

I've seen that a few times on Carnival and others. If the ship hasn't left the pier completely, it's only a few minutes of time to toss the gangway out and let them aboard.

I've also seen a ship slow down a bit after leaving the dock so a pilot boat could catch up with a few latecomers aboard.....so they can get on the ship.

As long as the delay won't interfere with the ships schedule and/or arrival at the next port...or cost more money, they try to get folks aboard. But, they won't incur more cost or delay arrival at a port to wait around for people who are so immature they can't get back to the ship on time.

Our waiter turned up missing after a stop in New Zealand. Got stuck in traffic. So no, they don't wait for ALL crew members.

This is cause for immediate dismissal from the job and disembarkment - wait, he is already disembarked. Princess just ships his stuff back to his home.

:cool::cool::eek::cool::cool:

In Dec. 2001, we were on the CCL Inspiration, in Grand Cayman. As you all know, GC is a tender port. The CCL Paradise was anchored next to the Inspiration, but had similar CCL signs at the tendering point on GC. While waiting in the Inspiration tender line to get back to our ship, right in front of us were four people who had been having a great (slurp slurp) time on GC. They were denied boarding the Inspiration tender, and were told they were in the wrong line, and would have to stand in the Paradise line, as they were Paradise passengers. We watched them run to the other line. We also watched the Paradise leave, as their scheduled departure time was 30 minutes before ours. Four sunburned and (hic) bathing-suit clad passengers were left stranded. Don't know what ever happened to them, but on every subsequent cruise to GC, I make sure I'm in the correct tender line at least six months ahead of time! We actually felt sorry for them, and didn't boo!

I've seen that a few times on Carnival and others. If the ship hasn't left the pier completely' date=' it's only a few minutes of time to toss the gangway out and let them aboard.

I've also seen a ship slow down a bit after leaving the dock so a pilot boat could catch up with a few latecomers aboard.....so they can get on the ship.

As long as the delay won't interfere with the ships schedule and/or arrival at the next port...or cost more money, they try to get folks aboard. But, they won't incur more cost or delay arrival at a port to wait around for people who are so immature they can't get back to the ship on time.[/quote']

Yes Carnival has gone back...here's an entertaining video to watch. The bystanders had quite the chuckle!

This is cause for immediate dismissal from the job and disembarkment - wait, he is already disembarked. Princess just ships his stuff back to his home.

:cool::cool::eek::cool::cool:

No. He showed up after the next port. This was a special situation. We were the first cruise ship to dock there after 9/11. The whole town showed up at the dock and on the surrounding hillsides to wave goodbye and thank us for coming. It was quite moving.

The traffic, obviously, was a mess and unexpected. So they gave him the benefit of the doubt, I guess.

A few tears ago I was on a shore excursion in Cozumel to Tulum, and when we got back to the ferry there were about 150 others all from different Princess excursions waiting for the ferry. The ferry broke down and they had to send for another. As I remember, we were to sail at 5, it was slightly after 9 when we got back onboard ... that thing took off as the last passenger set foot onboard, I don't think they had even closed the door.

I've been places where the lines were so long for tendering back to ship that you had a difficult time discerning which was the correct line for your ship. Sorry, but I'm not trusting the people at the end of the line to be certain which line they're in, as some are clearly not thinking clearly after a day of sun and drink;). But as you try to make your way to the front just to check the signs, boy do you get dirty looks and sarcastic comments from people assuming anyone passing them by is trying to take cuts!

A few tears ago I was on a shore excursion in Cozumel to Tulum, and when we got back to the ferry there were about 150 others all from different Princess excursions waiting for the ferry. The ferry broke down and they had to send for another. As I remember, we were to sail at 5, it was slightly after 9 when we got back onboard ... that thing took off as the last passenger set foot onboard, I don't think they had even closed the door.

kudos to princess. I bet that was really nerve racking.....:):):)

Bob

I am surprised the ship was allowed to leave in St Petersburg because the Russian officials are very stringent about making sure everyone is back onboard. We watched that Russian official and his clip board and walkie talkie for almost two hours because we left St Pete about 90 minutes late waiting for stragglers (some were on Princess excursions and some were on private tours). I have some great photos of people running for the ship when they saw the large gangway to deck 5 was being removed. They didn't realize a smaller gangway to deck 4 was still in place! We had a great view and an even better laugh!

I spoke to my son-in-law, who is a Master Unlimited Tonnage (Captain of any ocean going vessel). He said that once the ship leaves the dock, it has to pay dockage fees to return; even if having only gone 50 ft. I don't know if Cruise liners get special consideration, but I bet they don't. Maybe they would on medical emergencies?? My guess is that is why the ship leaves the passenger on the dock.

lancet

Yesterday's Golden departure out of SEA was late about an hour as they waited for a large number of people (200?) that were stuck at the US/Canadian border trying to get to SEA to start the cruise. I bet they waited because they wanted the extra income from all those people gambling and drinking...

I've been places where the lines were so long for tendering back to ship that you had a difficult time discerning which was the correct line for your ship. Sorry, but I'm not trusting the people at the end of the line to be certain which line they're in, as some are clearly not thinking clearly after a day of sun and drink;). But as you try to make your way to the front just to check the signs, boy do you get dirty looks and sarcastic comments from people assuming anyone passing them by is trying to take cuts!

Too true! Especially Grand Cayman, IMO. Years ago, we were in the tender line for the CCL Inspiration, and the people in front of us were denied tender boarding because they were on the CCL Paradise, which was the next line over. They missed their ship, BTW, as the Paradise left 30 min. before the Inspiration. We heard the guy say, "But we're IN the Carnival line!"

Every time we have cruised to Mexico we have had people who have missed the ship(too much tequila perhaps :rolleyes:).

Everyone was leaning over the railing watching these people try and jump aboard as the ship was sailing out of Cabo !! People on board were yelling for them to jump. Unfortunately for those late folks they are taken to the Captain for a "talk":eek:

Every time we have cruised to Mexico we have had people who have missed the ship(too much tequila perhaps :rolleyes:).

Everyone was leaning over the railing watching these people try and jump aboard as the ship was sailing out of Cabo !! People on board were yelling for them to jump. Unfortunately for those late folks they are taken to the Captain for a "talk":eek:

For those of you who think this is a good way to get to meet the Captain you will be sorely disappointed to find out that the Staff Captain often gets the task of 'chatting' to the habitual late arrivals.

Yesterday's Golden departure out of SEA was late about an hour as they waited for a large number of people (200?) that were stuck at the US/Canadian border trying to get to SEA to start the cruise. I bet they waited because they wanted the extra income from all those people gambling and drinking...

Not funny, not nice and not appreciated considering the Cdn economy is booming compared to that of our nice neighbours in Washington State.

Ciao for now!!!

Several years, I was on the Coral princess, doing the canal. In was either at Aruba or Curacao (or perhaps both) You see a ways from the ship and the only people you see walking in the vicinity would be fellow cruisemates. It was quite interesting the progession of people just strolling back, to walking fast, to jogging, to running (and hurdling obstacles) as ship departure time approached.

Yea Grand Cayman was always fun to figure out which line to stand in when multiple ships are in port.

Not funny, not nice and not appreciated considering the Cdn economy is booming compared to that of our nice neighbours in Washington State.

Ciao for now!!!

CaptRon,

Nothing derogatory was implied about my northern neighbors...

The "they" I was referring to wanting the money was PRINCESS. I think Princess held the ship so Princess would not lose the potential income from the booze/gambling these additional passengers might provide.

Surprised that the ship waited, and so often. We were on the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan November, 2008 into Dec. and we waited 4 of the 5 nights. At the first port - St. Thomas, we sat tied up for an hour, eventually him and her showed up at the dock, strolling with all the time of the world, but planning on shopping; however the shops were long closed. The port agent finally drove them up to the ship even after toots on the horn did not draw their attention. This waiting was repeated at three additional ports.

On board, we heard the endless announcements of passengers of Joe Doe and Jane Doe of cabin numbers XXX to contact guest services.

If the captain had only at St. Thomas sailed off and made an announcement that 2 passengers failed to return to the ship, I doubt it we would have waited at the additional ports.

Archived