How do you like your crepes?

LindaKE

Nutella.

Apples & cinnamon

sugar & butter (I used to like this one....but it doesn't work with my diet)

bananas & strawberries & cream

-====================

Ham & cheese & broccoli

There are two primary types of crepes....salty, or sweet. I enjoy both.

Savory crepes I love filled with chicken, mushrooms and a number of different sauces.

Sweet just about everything the previous posters have put on here. My FAVORITE is Crepes Suzette. If in Paris and you are over in the park by the Eiffle Tower, they have crepe vendors about every 20 feet and they make the crepes right there in front of you. Those are so good filled with Nutella and chopped nuts and honey. You would be amazed at the choices those little vendors have available.

I was on an NCL cruise a couple of years ago and they had something called chocolate crepes for dessert.

Now I have never met a dessert I couldn't eat, but they were the first. It was a stale flour tortilla with artificial chocolate and maybe something else. One bite said "it can't be that bad." Two bites said "yes it is." As I left the dining room, I noticed quite a few plates with two-bites out of the crepes.

The other big disappointment was the Monte Cristo sandwich. Ever had one with tuna salad in it? A new for me.

Other than that, the food was o.k.

Tucker in Texas

Ditto! "Suzette" please! :)

I also like them filled with strawberries, brown sugar and sour cream; a combination served by the "Magic Pan" restaurant chain long ago.

I LOVED Magic Pan.. Never had that specific crepe but it sounds DELICIOUS.

Doug and I took a land trip to Cancun several years back and we have so many funny memories of that trip. Several of them involve a restaurant called "The Big Argentinian Steak House". Our first time there (we ate there three times I think) we each ordered their version of chicken fried ribeye (you know us Southern boys loved it) and found out the name of the restaurant does not mean the restaurant is big.. it means their steaks are HUGE..lol. If you could have seen the size of the steaks we got. No wonder the server had such a look of surprise and horror on his face when we said "Yes.. we each want one" when we were ordering.. LOL.

Anyway.. the reason I mention this is that our second night to eat at this restaurant, they had a special dessert on the menu.. Crepes Suzette. So towards the end of our trip at Cancun I told Doug we just had to go back to that place so I could get Crepes Suzette for dessert. I ordered some appetizer and a salad for my meal because I wanted to have plenty of room for the Crepes Suzette. Well.. dessert time came and the server brought over the dessert menu.. and you guessed it.. they were no longer on the menu. I was SOOOO disappointed.. So the server noticed the look of disappointment on my face and asked if there was nothing that looked good to me. I told him why we were there that night.. for the Crepes .. and I wish you could have seen the look on his face.. IT WAS PRICELESS. He said.. "ahhhhh.. but of course.. " "I would love to make them for you".. and he went scurring off to the kitchen and came back with the trolley to make them for us. They were delicious, but I promise you, the look on his face that he got to make them for us was priceless.

Ok I just have to make crepes for breakfast tomorrow!

AuntieBarb, I too miss our "Magic Pan". Many good memories.

I miss them too. Did you ever eat at the one at Northpark? YUMMMMMMM

Terry and Doug - Ah Northpark - yes! Crepes and their Spinach Salad.

In fact, it was in the late 70's I think that I was hired to be one of the "Logan's Run Starlets". Six of us wore the costumes from the movie and went all over DFW doing press for the premiere, since it was actually filmed here. We had an appearance at the Magic Pan in Northpark. So everytime I went there after that day, the manager and waiters would give me excellent service. Of course, I was only an extra in the film, but I think they thought I was actually on camera more than two seconds. One of the other "starlets" working with me was Morgan Fairchild's sister. It was a hoot.

That being said, I did not get to have crepes this weekend and now my mouth is watering for them all over again.

Question for those that have had crepes in France, or from a fine French restaurant...

I've had crepes from a San Francisco stand at the wharf, crepes from NCL, and crepes made at home. None really appealed to me. Is there a big difference between these kinds of crepes (on NCL, in American restaurants) and the ones in France?

Question for those that have had crepes in France, or from a fine French restaurant...

I've had crepes from a San Francisco stand at the wharf, crepes from NCL, and crepes made at home. None really appealed to me. Is there a big difference between these kinds of crepes (on NCL, in American restaurants) and the ones in France?

Of course I can only speak from my experience, but I have had crepes two ways. The right way and the VERY wrong way. The right way they are so light and delicate they almost melt in your mouth. You almost don't even feel like you are eating anything but the filling. Then there is the very wrong way, where they are like someone else has described them in this thread, like a tortilla. YUCK.. nothing against tortillas mind you, I do love TexMex, but a tortilla is not a crepe. And just staying completely honest, I have had crepes in France that werent as good as others. One of the ones I got from a street vendor in France was very much like a tortilla. Ate the filling and called it a day...LOL.

When you have a good one.. you will know it.. 8-)

Is there a big difference between these kinds of crepes (on NCL, in American restaurants) and the ones in France?

About 3500 miles :rolleyes:.

But on a more serious note, I don't recall ever trying crepes but after reading this thread I will definitely be in the crepes line on the next cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived