Balcony Door Question

ejeffo

So, I know about the wind tunnel deal if you leave the balcony door open, and that the A/C turns off. I also know that some people have been visited by unwanted flying guests... However... Are you allowed to prop the balcony door open? If so, what is the best way to do so? What do I need to bring?

From my experience, most balcony doors are sliders and need no prop to open. In very rare cases, the door is not a sliding door, and can usually be propped up by a balcony chair or table. I know people who have used that handy roll of electrical tape to tape down the mechanism on the door that shuts the A/C when the door is slid open. You then get the wonderful breeze and sound of the ocean, and your A/C stays on.

Something to consider this time of year-- it is warm- and humidity is high

keeping your balcony door open will cause a lot of condensation to form in the cabin making everything feel damp-- so be careful there

We were afraid once to shut it while out on the balcony for fear it would lock. (Handle was loose.) I had heard of this happening. So any way we had rolling seas and couldn't get the thing to keep from rolling back and forth while we were napping on the balcony. I couldn't figure out how to keep it open - drove me nuts. We put shoes and more shoes and lined them up in the track - still didn't work well.

I guess the question might be "how open" do you want the balcony door to be. If only open sufficiently that you can be out on the balcony and not have to worry about it closing and locking, the door stop should be sufficient. It should also be sufficient to allow some fresh sea air into your room while you sleep. If you want it to be totally wide open and are willing to risk the problems you mention (wind tunnel effect, uninvited flying guest, AC shutdown and attendant humidity, perhaps a chair will do the trick. On the sliding door of our D1 on the JOs, the handle has to be turned all the way down to unlock the door,and all the way up to lock it. Highly unlikely that those doors could lock themselves once the handle is in the down position.:)

No stopper should be required on the sliding balcony doors to keep them open, simply turn the large lock handle which retracts the slider wheels on the bottom and the door will be effectively "sitting" on the frame instead of rolling on it. This method has never failed for me on RCCL or Celebrity.

So, I know about the wind tunnel deal if you leave the balcony door open, and that the A/C turns off. I also know that some people have been visited by unwanted flying guests... However... Are you allowed to prop the balcony door open? If so, what is the best way to do so? What do I need to bring?
Allowed to, no. RCI specifically requests that you not do so. Able to, yes. Open the door and (assuming it's a sliding door) just turn the handle down like you do when closing it.

I do believe it will be a sliding door, as it is not an "aft" cabin. This will be my first time sailing with a balcony and I am really looking forward to it. We will be in a Radiance midship junior suite (if that makes any difference).

Archived