Timely question - asap

azrose

Ok....need HAL expertise here....and quickly :D .... I just missed the ferry to take me to my train that was to take me to Vancouver and board my ship. The next arrival I can make to Vancouver will get me to the ship about 3 pm....this ship (Zuiderdam) is scheduled to set sail at 5 pm.....Will this be ok? Will I be "allowed" to board? What is the latest I can board in case I arrive a tad bit later? I have my boarding pass in hand and have completed all documentation needed....thank you for all of your help!!

Thank you for your replies! In the meantime I did find an "open" HAL number and spoke with someone.....she said I could board up until 4, but to be on the safe side, get there by 3:30.....whew.....think I can do that barring no traffic issues....I am scheduled to arrive (by amtrak bus) at 2:15.....that gives me a little play (very little, albeit)....thanks again !! I can hardly wait to be on the ship!!

You should be fine. We boarded, due to an airline delay, 30 minutes before sailing. In fact, went through the service hatch as the main gangway had been pulled back. Again, I think you'll not have a problem.

We are doing a CC no no,flying in same day as cruise,We have a 7 am flight out of FLL and a short layover in Salt Lake,but taking the same plane arriving SEA 12:10pm T/A says we will be fine.We booked HAL transfers just to add a little extra security

Thank you for your replies! In the meantime I did find an "open" HAL number and spoke with someone.....she said I could board up until 4, but to be on the safe side, get there by 3:30.....whew.....think I can do that barring no traffic issues....I am scheduled to arrive (by amtrak bus) at 2:15.....that gives me a little play (very little, albeit)....thanks again !! I can hardly wait to be on the ship!!

Have a great cruise!

We are doing a CC no no,flying in same day as cruise,We have a 7 am flight out of FLL and a short layover in Salt Lake,but taking the same plane arriving SEA 12:10pm T/A says we will be fine.We booked HAL transfers just to add a little extra security

It was exactly this experience that caused us to start flying in at least a day early. I should have added that we were on HAL air and I'd been in contact with them via cell phone as we first got delayed by weather and then a busted plane. A HAL agent met us at the luggage claim in Ft Lauderdale and we went on a most hair raising ride in the back of a service van to the terminal. We were the last non-crew passengers to get on the ship. Never again! But kudos to HAL, they helped us along through the whole process that day.

Again....thank you everyone! Made it.....Cruise was great! I made it to the ship with 20 minutes "to spare" ....whew....won't do that EVER again!! Worse thing, is I really, really know better than to have tried it....but?? All's well that ends well.....and for my November / Hawaii cruise, even if we LIVE less than 2 hours away, I am REALLY thinking we'll spend the night in San Diego just ahead of the cruise :D.....

Heck we took a cruise three years ago out of Galveston, Texas and that's only a 4-hour drive away and we still went the day before. A flat tire, construction back up, or you-name-it thoughts came to our heads and we decided not to risk it. Makes for a much more relaxed morning knowing you're in the embarkation city with your luggage in hand. :)

We've gotten to the point of trying to go two days in advance. We've heard so many horror stories that, if possible, we give ourselves the chance to be as stress free as possible and DH gets to unwind from his hectic 'work world' in advance of boarding. A few days in warm FLL before our cruises are lovely. I realize this is not possible for everyone and is not always possible for us, either.

On our cruise two weeks ago we got into Vancouver a full day plus ahead of time and its a good thing we did. My Mom had suffered a fall a couple of days before but was able to make it to Vancouver without much problem. Once we got to the hotel, she got worse and we had to take her to the doctor and for x-rays.

Since we were a day early we had time to deal with the problem - if we arrived "just in time" we would have ended up missing the ship.

You never know - go a day or two ahead.

DaveOKC

Heck we took a cruise three years ago out of Galveston, Texas and that's only a 4-hour drive away and we still went the day before. A flat tire, construction back up, or you-name-it thoughts came to our heads and we decided not to risk it. Makes for a much more relaxed morning knowing you're in the embarkation city with your luggage in hand. :)

YUP!!! That is EXACTLY my newest "discussion" with my SO now that I have personally (this was a solo 3-day cruise for me) experienced all the stress dealing with almost literally "missing the boat". (Something I actually did since missing the ferry in the morning and thus beginning those days events.)....He isn't completely sold on the idea yet....but, I am making reservations for a hotel in San Diego today for our "night before cruise"!! I have about a month to talk him into it and see my way....:D

Ok....need HAL expertise here....and quickly :D .... I just missed the ferry to take me to my train that was to take me to Vancouver and board my ship. The next arrival I can make to Vancouver will get me to the ship about 3 pm....this ship (Zuiderdam) is scheduled to set sail at 5 pm.....Will this be ok? Will I be "allowed" to board? What is the latest I can board in case I arrive a tad bit later? I have my boarding pass in hand and have completed all documentation needed....thank you for all of your help!!

I live in Florida and drive to ports, but if I'm squeezed for time in other countries, I take a taxi. Better still, apply the taxi fare to a hotel for the night. Saves a lot of heavy breathing.

MMC

Archived