How would you describe "smart casual"?

Saucy

The last time we took a cruise was 3 years ago and it was on Celebrity--where they did Casual, Informal and Formal nights. I see talk of HAL eliminating informal nights for "Smart Casual". What do men and women generally wear for "Smart Casual" nights?

Also we are bringing our 3.5 year old son. Would you recommend leaving him with a sitter on formal nights?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Stephanie

From the HAL website:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual.
Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women.
T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

On smart casual night I wore nice slacks and a blouse or nice pullover sweater. DH wore dockers and sports shirt or polo shirt.

It would be ok to bring your toddler to formal night if he is well behaved.

The last time we took a cruise was 3 years ago and it was on Celebrity--where they did Casual, Informal and Formal nights. I see talk of HAL eliminating informal nights for "Smart Casual". What do men and women generally wear for "Smart Casual" nights?

Also we are bringing our 3.5 year old son. Would you recommend leaving him with a sitter on formal nights?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Stephanie

Smart Casual - IMO, It's most of the stuff available at Coldwater Creek, Chico's, etc. if you're looking at mainstream, moderately priced clothing for women.

For gentlemen, long trousers, preferably non-denim, and a collared shirt. Not too restrictive.

And as Boytjie says, there are only two categories now, Formal and Smart Casual.

FWIW Cunard still has three categories and ALL require a jacket for gentlemen. HAL is positively laid back in comparison. :)

Cheers

Mark

Sometimes what one wears on Smart Casual nights depends on the region. I have said here in other places that we have worn jeans or khakis, especially in Alaska, coming in from a day in port. In warm climates you may find the wardrobes to be lighter. Usually I wear slacks with sandals, and a dressy top. Sometimes the MDR or other public areas are cool in the evenings, even in warm climates. Ofter a shell with an overblouse is a good plan. I brings a small purse with a shoulder strap for my room key and 1 or 2 items because most womens clothes don't have pockets; the shoulder strap is handy to hang the purse over the dining room chair back.

My husband always wears a long sleeve collared shirt to dinner, usually with chinos, maybe a cardigan if we have a chilly zone in the dining room.

Leaving your son with a sitter is a call you have to make based on your priorities and his disposition. Formal night in the dining room is very special for most folks, and you and they would like to enjoy it with minimal interruptions.

I think the main difference from deleting "semi-formal" and going to Smart Casual is that men are not required to wear a jacket or tie --- although if you are in a "colder" region on the sailing, many men will wear a sports jacket (open shirt, no tie) just for warmth.....

For women I guess the difference would mean that Smart Casual could now include a nice pair of casual and/or dress slacks - whereas "Semi-formal" would probably have meant to be a little dressier in slacks or skirts....

Some cruiselines only have Smart Casual - Oceania and Azamara for instance.

You will see the whole gamut from "A" to "Z" in the Smart Casual mode - but blue jeans (although my friend wore "dress" black jeans), tank tops and flip flops are not acceptable.... nice strappy sandals would be acceptable.

You will see the whole gamut from "A" to "Z" in the Smart Casual mode - but blue jeans (although my friend wore "dress" black jeans), tank tops and flip flops are not acceptable.... nice strappy sandals would be acceptable.

Blue jeans are "acceptable" by HAL on Smart Casual nights.

I wear tailored capri pants or nice slacks with a great top for smart casual nights. Think of what you might wear to a dinner at the local country club (not a special dinner just a week night thing).

You may enjoy the romantic aspects of the formal dinner more without your child but that's strictly up to you.

Have a super cruise!!

nice capris with a top and sandals are perfectly acceptable as smart casual. i think smart casual is exactly the same as business casual.

I don't think capris and sandals would be acceptable attire to wear to one's place of business. JMHO.

I don't think capris and sandals would be acceptable attire to wear to one's place of business. JMHO.

It really depends on one's workplace. My last real job was "business casual" and capris and sandals would have been acceptable. Shorts were not acceptable. Jeans were. Anything too nice, and you got pulled into the boss' office, and asked if you were going on an interview. I used to wear a suit a few times a month, just to scare 'em :)

I used to wear a suit a few times a month, just to scare 'em :)

I like to do that too:D...but it's hard here since we have a formal office. Usually people do dress down on Friday's...still not jeans. Sometimes I like to scare my boss and wear a blazer on Friday's.

I (male) brought two blazers with me for 7 days to Alaska, but found I only needed one. I guess if we had more evening excursions in fancier places I might have used the other, but onboard one was plenty and only used it on the formal nights.

I would describe "Smart Casual" as a step or two above daytime casual. It's a "put together", coordinated outfit, where the top and bottom are of the mix & match type, or a slightly dressy dress.

In daytime casual, the top and bottom frequently don't have anything to do with each other. :rolleyes:

My definition of smart casual seems to be the version accepted by HAL: jeans with no holes, fraying, or excessive fade worn with a nice sweater/blouse/shirt/tunic/top that isn't a t-shirt (even a nice t-shirt), and with shoes/sandals instead of sneakers. This is the lowest common denominator you can get away with and still have the maitre'd (whose opinion is the only one that really matters) admit you to the main dining room. As I understand it, this attire will also get you into the Lido on formal night, though not much else if that matters to you. I don't mind missing out on ship activities 2 nights out of 7, but YMMV.

You can certainly dress up from there if you wish, and still be considered smart casual. As an example, the photos from Rev. Neal on another thread shows what I'd consider the upper spectrum of smart casual. They all looked very nice, but that's about as dressy as I'd ever care to get.

Archived