Live from the Ruby Princess Med-T/A October 7, 2009

Woobstr112G

Hello you Ruby Stars. Judy Sailers2 gave me this thread. Thanks Bob for the news about the M&G. Sorry I wasn't able to carry it out. I understand Dorothy did a fine job.

Things are going along so far and I will be having surgery on October 16. They will do 2 procedures, one to remove the polyp and one to fix the hernia. It will be done as an outpatient so hope all goes well.

Ann #l I had to cancel due to some medical problems mentioned above. I didn't know Evie was pregnant. Good luck to her.

I really miss seeing the Ruby so will have to book another cruise just so I can spend time on this beautiful ship. Just thought I would say hello to all my Ruby Stars. Have a wonderful cruise. Trudy:)

Last night we also went to Sabatinis for dinner (in fact we recommended that the Ruby Stars do it because the view of the Straits of Messina is great. We sat as is our tradition (we've done this 3 years running niw) at a specific table for two). There were no fireworks this year nor a thunder and lightning storm as in the previous two years. What can I say? I can't arrange everything.

Sunviking...that sounds very wonderful and romantic...thanks for the tip!! :)

Do the Princess Patters give the time the ship goes thru the Straits? The last time we went thru the Straits, it was early in the day and I don't recall anything in the Patter about the time.

Hope the cruise is going well. Keep the posts coming!!

Hello All. Today 15 of our Ruby Stars did a private excursion to Rome that I arranged. It was great. We visited the Collosium, Roman Forum. St. Peter's Square, and the Catecombs. It was great to be standing within history that you've only read about in books or seen on tv. Today 5 people were made saints at the Vatican so there were a lot of people around; to include a number of religious big wigs. The tour was somewhat taxing so for those that have mobility issues, it might present some problems.

So far the Ruby continues to be a great ship. Dining in the MDR is great. A couple of changes around the ship that I've noticed from our T/A last October on the Emerald. The ice cream bar near the pizza bar only serves soft serve. All the items at the International cafe are free but I have noted some cutbacks on what they offer. The Tapas are noww served at Vines. Sushi at Vines is now free.. but there is a $3.00 charge for the cheese that is offered. Breakfast at Sabatini's (not sure if I've mentioned this) is fantastic.

As we were leaving Rome today, I saw the Legend of the Seas and the Royal Princess also depart. Tomorrow it's anothere early day for our Ruby Stars excursion to Florence. After Florence it's Marsalie then barcelona beefore we get to rest up on a sea day.

Take Care All

Bob

Hello you Ruby Stars. Judy Sailers2 gave me this thread. Thanks Bob for the news about the M&G. Sorry I wasn't able to carry it out. I understand Dorothy did a fine job.

Things are going along so far and I will be having surgery on October 16. They will do 2 procedures, one to remove the polyp and one to fix the hernia. It will be done as an outpatient so hope all goes well.

Ann #l I had to cancel due to some medical problems mentioned above. I didn't know Evie was pregnant. Good luck to her.

I really miss seeing the Ruby so will have to book another cruise just so I can spend time on this beautiful ship. Just thought I would say hello to all my Ruby Stars. Have a wonderful cruise. Trudy:)

Good luck with your medical procedures Trudy. Holli & I will keep you in our thoughts & prayers.

Bob

We too had a splendid day in Rome. There was a mixup in our tour so the operstor csme with s vsn too small for all of us. We thought we'd stay around Civitavecchia. Instead we found a driver at the entrance to the portand after negotiating a price with him we were off to Rome. Our trip was fantastic1. As mwntioned St.Peters and the Vaticsn were mobbed because of Sunday and canonizations, so we went instesd to two other basilicas which we had never seen. Next we were off to the Collosseum and Forum. Our driver Stefano was able to find close parking at every stop. After visiting the forum and collosseum he recommended a place for lunch nearby where he knew the owner. We sat in a back room, while the tourists wre outside on the street. We never saw a menu, but were served the most wonderful antipasti, pasta, prosecco house red wine and cappucino followed by amaretto. Fortunately we walked a great deal, or else we would have rolled back to the ship.

We exchanged hugs, kisses, and e-mails with Stefano before parting so I'm not sure but we may be part of his family now. Sometimes the flukey things turn out to be the best, don't they?

Hi Anne! I'm cruising with you in May but enjoying you blog and this thread as you cruise through the Med. It will be great to get your advice having "just done it". 'Looking forward to meeting you and your daughter.

Karen

Hi to you too Alice! ! ! ! I also wonder where Trudy is and if Evie had her baby yet.

Ann #1

I don't know about Evie, I've been away. I'll check on Facebook and get back to you. How are you doing? Me, I'm doing OK. Fall is coming here and I am looking forward to my future cruises. Take care.

Hi Alice, we are doing the TA FLL to Copenhagen next April come and join us!!!

Hi to Ann and Bob and Holli, wish we were there with you!

Terry and Lynn

Can't do April. Grandson is a senior and plays baseball and April is the season for that. A ton of people that I know are doing the far east in April, too. Not this grandma.

SUNVIKING...Hi Ann (were you #4???)... Can you please forward me Stefano's email, we will be in Civitavechia November 30, doing b2b on Grand and would like a day trip in that area. My address is jo bo zook at ya hoo dot com, please join all words together. Hope your fur baby is doing OK, I forgot her name. Last year I brought an interesting book on schnauzers for you to read, but alas we never met.

REDKTZ...... Trudy, so sorry to hear you'll have to undergo surgery and had to miss this cruise. All the best, may drop you a line later.

We too got off the Ruby on 7/10. We sat and cheered you guys as you sailed past S Marks. drink in hand. In fact I stood on the top step near some of the gondolas and as the Ruby came alongside the surge of water was so high it soaked me to mid calf!!!! It was a magnificent sight. Say hello to Howard and Janeen if anyone sees them(MGNut) we shared many tours with them on the last segment. Enjoy the rest of the cruise

Terry

Hi - hoping someone currently on the Ruby can help me out.

I believe James Ibrahim is the CD - would someone please verify that for me and also, could someone find out if he anticipates being the CD for the New Years cruise.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, in advance and Happy Cruising!!!!!!!

Patrick

I believe James Ibrahim is the CD - would someone please verify that for me and also, could someone find out if he anticipates being the CD for the New Years cruise.

Patrick

James Ibrahim is currently on the Ruby. Got on recently.

Patrick

Patrick;

Yes, James is the current Cruise Director.

Bob

Hello All;

Yesterday was a great day in Florence. 8 of us Ruby Stars did a private excursion expertly arranged by CarolynR. We had a great time seeing Florence and the surrounding Tuscany wine country. We had a great lunch and enjoyed some great wine. Kudos to CarolynR for picking Fabrizo and his company for the excursion. Today we had to skip Marsaille due to very high winds and roug seas. So wee have an extra day at sea before Barcelona tomorrow. I was eating breakfast in Sabatini's this morning and saw the wait staff had to run outside to grab the glass tops off the bistro tables before they blew away.

How all are well.

Bob

Glad to get the reports from all of you on this year's TA on the Ruby. I am leaving in a few weeks to do a TA also but on the new Equinox starting in Rome.

Have a wonderful time and yes, I do so well remember our grand sail-out from Venice last year. It was perfect.

Ann #1

Hi Ann #1,

You will be on with our great CC friends bmw lover (Stirling and Clare) that we sailed with on the Queen Victoria Maiden World in 2008. We have spent loads of time with them since then too. Have a great cruise!

Susan glad the after hours tour in Venice was so nice. I was just plain pooped and Carlos just couldn't make it without Bob there to lend a helping hand! Then we decided to soak up some ambiance in St. Mark's Sq. and dropped about $55 between sitting where a band was playing (cover charge) with 2 gelatos. It was a great relaxing afternoon.

Can't wait to hear all about the cruise to Lauderdale. Miss you two. Must plan another trip together.

Kathleen

Kathleen,

would you please explain the after hours tour in Venice? Thank you, Jeanne

Glad to get the reports from all of you on this year's TA on the Ruby. I am leaving in a few weeks to do a TA also but on the new Equinox starting in Rome.

Have a wonderful time and yes, I do so well remember our grand sail-out from Venice last year. It was perfect.

Ann #1

Hi Ann #1,

You will be on with our great CC friends bmw lover (Stirling and Clare) that we sailed with on the Queen Victoria Maiden World in 2008. We have spent loads of time with them since then too. Have a great cruise!

So just your friends are going on the Equinox in November? Not your too? ? ? That is one very very active thread with al the postings. There are now over 11K postw. Should be a great trip.

Could someone please post what the water conditions are like both in the Med and once you're out in the Atlantic? :confused:

I'm determined to take this cruise but I am also prone to seasickness and DH is worried that I'll be miserable the entire cruise...not bloody likely!! LOL :D :D

On our last cruise I took Ginger Gravol and while I could feel the motion it didn't make me ill...very odd sensation!! :p

Could someone please post what the water conditions are like both in the Med and once you're out in the Atlantic? :confused:

I'm determined to take this cruise but I am also prone to seasickness and DH is worried that I'll be miserable the entire cruise...not bloody likely!! LOL :D :D

On our last cruise I took Ginger Gravol and while I could feel the motion it didn't make me ill...very odd sensation!! :p

From a thread that Pia subscribed to today

"This is an exerpt from our friends on board:

We are now at sea rocking and rolling. We are now on our way to Marseilles where the wind was over 55 mph today. No idea what time we will dock, assuming the wind calms down and we can dock.

PS: wind in port got so bad they closed the gangways for a couple of hours until it quieted down. Folks returning from tours had to wait in their buses!

This morning's mail is as follows:

Could not get email out last night. Today wind is so bad (60MPH) in Marseilles) we were forced to forget this port and sail south through very rough waters and wind and head to Barcelona."

I have often had very rough sea conditions in the Med and some ports are reknowned for it - Barcelona is so I hope they do manage to dock there if the seas are rough.

Thanks for taking us along with you on my favorite ship. I'm enjoying your "live from" posts and look forward to more. I will be on the Ruby in March and can't wait! Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Please say hi to Captain McCharming from me! :p

Hello All;

Yesterday was a great day in Florence. 8 of us Ruby Stars did a private excursion expertly arranged by CarolynR. We had a great time seeing Florence and the surrounding Tuscany wine country. We had a great lunch and enjoyed some great wine. Kudos to CarolynR for picking Fabrizo and his company for the excursion. Today we had to skip Marsaille due to very high winds and roug seas. So wee have an extra day at sea before Barcelona tomorrow. I was eating breakfast in Sabatini's this morning and saw the wait staff had to run outside to grab the glass tops off the bistro tables before they blew away.

How all are well.

Bob

Hi Bob ~ so glad to hear your tour to Florence was a hit!. Please tell CarolynR "hello" from me! I did a TA crossing with her last April. Have fun in Barcelona and wishing you smooth sailing ;)

I posed this question earlier, but could someone please report on who is in charge at the pizzeria? I am on the Ruby Nov.14. Two of the pizzeria supervisors, Antonio and Guiseppe, are friends of mine. They usually rotate between the Ruby, Emerald, and Crown. Since both are from Naples, they might have taken their leave before the ship headed back to the states. I'm trying to find out if either will be on board for my cruise.

Archived