here is a novel solution

Crusin6

I was just reading a member review of the Miracle and the reviewer said everything was great except the customer service desk. They were charged for things that weren't theirs...problems weren't fixed...long waits on lines to speak to someone...lack of any type of caring attitude etc.etc.

Now the above complaints are exactly what I expect on a cruise and once or twice I have had to wait as well and dispute a charge.....but for me it all worked out.

We do not gamble and maybe we drink one bottle of wine and 4 dod's per cruise....so right off I realize that many here will not take this seriously but here is an interesting concept for those of you who may fall into my spending category...others are welcome but my idea may not work for you.

So here goes:

Just don't spend too much onboard....keep receipts.....and check your S & S bill daily on the TV in your cabin. If you work it right and even prepay your tips (we don't) there should not be much for you to complain about with regard to your S & S bill, right?

For those of you who want to ring up a storm....just hold on to the receipts and check the S & S bill on your TV each night or morning.

The real reason that I started this thread is because of all the complaints cruisers have about their bills....some valid...some not I am sure....so if one just keeps close tabs....if that is possible...then it should work out, right?

And maybe even do not allow charging privlidges on kids cards. If the kids want a soda...they have to find you....If they want to use the arcade...they have to find you....that would also solve the problem of wondering what the kids are up to....as they need to find you for money....and you can say yes or maybe even no. They really do not need all the soda anyway....so they don't have to bother you for that as they can drink what is served free at the Lido. I know nothing about soda cards so can't comment on how they are used.

Or pretend you are sleeping when the waiter comes around hawking DOD's...another great way to save money and cut down on erroneous charges.

Just some thoughts and I do realize that many here will not care and respond that it is their vacation so they do what they want....but these thoughts are not meant for them....they are just some suggestions as to how to avoid standing in line at the Pursur's Desk for those of you that spend moderately and keep an eye on the number of items you sign for:D

Even if you dont keep up with receipts, they keep the signed receipts, so can always check them. I once complained about a very small charge for the large bottle of water, and the signature was clearly not mine, so they took it off. Its possible my cabin roomie drank it, but I know I dont drink water, so couldnt have been mine. Maybe the cabin steward forges guests names?? I was baffled, since it was my name but miss-spelled. Clearly I would know how to sign my name.

I dont see this as a big item, just an example that you can easily get items off that dont belong to you.

I do think purser's desk reps are generally uncaring, I think they have probably heard it all, too many times to care. They are about the worst staff on the Carnival ships. Im in agreement on this one. (people who work for tips and are assigned seem to be ever so much better, stewards and waiters ... even up in the buffet). beats me but the staff at the desk is pretty much uncaring,... good word. (I had a issue last time where my account had been set up backwards and they had "attitude" about fixing it.)

Like I said, no biggie, it gets done ... but poor attitudes.

We are much like you in the fact that we don't spend much on the ship. I have never given my kids charging privileges, we keep our receipts in the drawer and look at the account at least every few days.

That being said, there is always a charge that I have to say "Wait a Minute, is that ours". Of course it has always been something we charged and just didn't remember so I can't even imagine what it is like for the real spenders when they receive their bill.:eek:

The new DOD cards help control drink spending too....5 drinks = $26 even if you drink 5 in one day, its only one charge to watch compared to 5 separate charges.

Only issues I ever found with the S&S account is some things ring up differently than you expect. For instance when the servers get drinks while you are in the dining room, you don't really know which bar they may actually go to and I had some unrecognized charges then realized which bar the server actually used. Also miscellaneous purchases some times came up a bit weird. One cruise we had purchased a DVD from a comedian and the charge it showed up under was oddly named and by process of elimination we determined it was the DVD.

I tend to keep track of receipts in that I know pretty close the dollar amount and will check the S&S account a couple times during the week.

I don't ever look at our S&S bills. I bring them home with all the other accumulated papers. I always make a mental note of the total and pay the Credit company that amount.

As for receipts, I've tried to hand them back to whoever reaches them to me and they won't take them back. :o I normally end up wrapping them in the drink napkin if it's a drink or sticking them in bags if it's for a purchase.

Only issues I ever found with the S&S account is some things ring up differently than you expect. For instance when the servers get drinks while you are in the dining room, you don't really know which bar they may actually go to and I had some unrecognized charges then realized which bar the server actually used. Also miscellaneous purchases some times came up a bit weird. One cruise we had purchased a DVD from a comedian and the charge it showed up under was oddly named and by process of elimination we determined it was the DVD.

I tend to keep track of receipts in that I know pretty close the dollar amount and will check the S&S account a couple times during the week.

It would be nice if when you bought a drink in the dining room it would say like Dining Room Bar.

Just a side-note...I have had to ask on a few occasions questions about my bill..and have gone to guest services for other issues/questions over the course of 5 cruises..gotta say, always nice, always accomodating...never an issue with them..in fact, always willing to listen, figure out my problems...wonder if it is approach OR just on particular ships?

We have had nothing but good experiences with the customer service staff aboard Carnival ships. Of course, the fact that we check our folio daily and stay on top of charges means that we are not going down there and complaining about charges. Most of these are really valid; the people who do most of the complaining about bills usually spend a whole lot of money at the bars, don't they?

Doc:rolleyes:

Just a side-note...I have had to ask on a few occasions questions about my bill..and have gone to guest services for other issues/questions over the course of 5 cruises..gotta say, always nice, always accomodating...never an issue with them..in fact, always willing to listen, figure out my problems...wonder if it is approach OR just on particular ships?

On the 2 occasions that I have had to ask a question of the customer service desk, I too have had a decent experience. Did they fawn all over me...of course not....and I wouldn't want then too. However, the approach is what matters...they way you ask a questions helps tremendously.

I discovered the interactive menu on the TV, so now I review the charges on my account in the evening (while I can still remember what we charged!). It helped not only to keep the account straight but to remind me to watch the old spending!:rolleyes:

On our recent Dream Grand Med cruise, my name and credit card were switched in the accounts with one of my friends. I found that that two other staterooms/cabins experienced the same thing. Took the pursers office 3 attempts and 2 attempts by head of security to straighten it out as we showed up as EACH OTHER when we left and reboarded the ship, but they were always nice, worked very hard to get it right, and never acted like they didn't care. They finally did get it right.

I checked my S&S every other day as we met two sisters who checked into their room and ALREADY HAD CHARGES ON THEIR CABIN! Considering it was the inaugural cruise, that was quite a feat. I am guessing they used a cabin number to check the system and forgot to erase it out. They had a few trips to Guest Services to get that done and were quite exasperated, but I did see the GS people calling their credit card companies and straightening it all out for them.

On our September Legend cruise, we were incorrectly charged $14.95 for some odd category (turns out it was for a cookbook we did not purchase) and for a drink from the room. I called Guest Services and both charges were removed within 24 hours. The telephone was way better than waiting in those lines at guest services.:D

I am an accountant, so I'm kind of anal when it comes to money.

I keep all our receipts in a ziplock, and check them against our S&S almost everyday. We have never had any charges on our account, that were not ours (knock on wood), and we have a pretty hefty bar tab by the end of the cruise.

I don't ever look at our S&S bills. I bring them home with all the other accumulated papers. I always make a mental note of the total and pay the Credit company that amount.

Aren't the S&S charges already billed to your card? :confused:

I do the same.. The charges are billed to my card so I need to pay off my CC.

I try to be prepaid for everything. Too many years of the unexpected knocking over our applecart. I don't ever want to pay AFTER for my vacation. So we apply money ahead to our sail and sign. Whatever extra gets billed to my credit card I pay when I get home. Allows me to start paying on my next adventure

I do the same.. The charges are billed to my card so I need to pay off my CC.

I try to be prepaid for everything. Too many years of the unexpected knocking over our applecart. I don't ever want to pay AFTER for my vacation. So we apply money ahead to our sail and sign. Whatever extra gets billed to my credit card I pay when I get home. Allows me to start paying on my next adventure

Ok I gotcha now that you apply money ahead of time to your account.

We are not drinkers, but do enjoy an NA beer or virgin pina colada once in a while, so we found it easier to enjoy these in one bar area only. That way when a charge showed up in another ship location we would know if it was ours or not.

What I didn't like when we sailed on the Sensation last year, was they would not put Catmando's charges on his credit card for gambling , I did not want them on my sail and sign card. So they issued him a sail and sign card and he was told it was just for gambling, but they charged the tips to his card as well and as the trip was my "treat" I ended up covering that card as well. We're married now, so what's mine is his, and what's his is mine. But it's too bad you can't assign a card for a certain amount.

I have worked as a front desk clerk for many many years, now I'm a manager, but approach when dealing with these issues is key. The pursers desk is basically the same thing as a front desk at a hotel, and let me tell ya, how you present your problem is how you're going to be dealt with.

Treat others the way you would want to be treated. It is NOT the pursers desks' fault these charges are on your account, and really they are the only ones that can fix it in a timely manner. Be nice and things will get done.

:::stepping off soap box now::::

:)

Like many here, many or all times I've gotten my final bill, or that mid week bill, I've usually always found something on there that didn't seem to be mine.

Eventually, I would figure out what it was. It's just not always clear to what it actually was. Perhaps, they need to better identify what the charge actually is.

I never react when I first identify it, and I'm glad I don't.

To date, I've never been chanrged for something that wasn't mine.

I always look my bill and I have found a few things I know were not mine on my bill. I know because on the last night we have always stopped charging when we go to bed. ;) All of the charges I saw on the bills were after we had gone to bed the last night of the cruise. However, they were so small in charge for me it was not worth waiting in line to figure it out.

I have never had to not allow my children charging priviledges. Do not get me wrong, we have tried several things to make sure they listen. Their first cruises on DCL we were careful with them and our DS lost his card on the last night and we had a small charge. I did not question the charge although DS assured me he did not order the drink in question. Speciality soda not adult beverage. We have been fortunate that when we told the kids how much they could spend they would quit spending. You can put a limit on the children's card though. However, you need to realize that if you give them a $100 limit and they have spend $95 and then go to buy something that is $25 that last charge will not be denied. We did try that once and we were told up front about this so we did not have any issue. Now Ds just could careless about cruising and DD is very mature and has yet to test the waters on her charging priviledges. Plus she knows if she over spends she will have to pay us back.

Nunu,

Yes, but I don't wait for the CC bill to arrive. I pay it online as soon as we get home. On our B2B, I paid the first week's S&S bill off via the on board internet's free connection to SeaMiles dot com.

It isn't that I don't care if a mistake is made, it is that I will not bother to look for one while on vacation. If a mistake is made then I will have already paid for it thus the total was within expected reason. It would have to be a large mistake to be worth my vacation time to look for; when I am not on vacation I do pay close attention to any and all charges and receipts.

I was just reading a member review of the Miracle and the reviewer said everything was great except the customer service desk. They were charged for things that weren't theirs...problems weren't fixed...long waits on lines to speak to someone...lack of any type of caring attitude etc.etc.

Now the above complaints are exactly what I expect on a cruise and once or twice I have had to wait as well and dispute a charge.....but for me it all worked out.

We do not gamble and maybe we drink one bottle of wine and 4 dod's per cruise....so right off I realize that many here will not take this seriously but here is an interesting concept for those of you who may fall into my spending category...others are welcome but my idea may not work for you.

So here goes:

Just don't spend too much onboard....keep receipts.....and check your S & S bill daily on the TV in your cabin. If you work it right and even prepay your tips (we don't) there should not be much for you to complain about with regard to your S & S bill, right?

For those of you who want to ring up a storm....just hold on to the receipts and check the S & S bill on your TV each night or morning.

The real reason that I started this thread is because of all the complaints cruisers have about their bills....some valid...some not I am sure....so if one just keeps close tabs....if that is possible...then it should work out, right?

And maybe even do not allow charging privlidges on kids cards. If the kids want a soda...they have to find you....If they want to use the arcade...they have to find you....that would also solve the problem of wondering what the kids are up to....as they need to find you for money....and you can say yes or maybe even no. They really do not need all the soda anyway....so they don't have to bother you for that as they can drink what is served free at the Lido. I know nothing about soda cards so can't comment on how they are used.

Or pretend you are sleeping when the waiter comes around hawking DOD's...another great way to save money and cut down on erroneous charges.

Just some thoughts and I do realize that many here will not care and respond that it is their vacation so they do what they want....but these thoughts are not meant for them....they are just some suggestions as to how to avoid standing in line at the Pursur's Desk for those of you that spend moderately and keep an eye on the number of items you sign for:D

OK,help me out here

Your novel idea was how to avoid standing in line at the awful pursers.

What is the idea?:confused::confused:

Just because you keep receipts and check your bill daily does not stop you from standing in line if you spot something that is wrong.

Steve

Archived