BYOC (Coke) in the dining room for breakfast?

elycelynne

I was wondering if any of the dining room staff would blink an eye if I brought my own can of Diet Coke into the dining room to eat with my breakfast (since they don't serve iced tea during breakfast)? I don't drink coffee and I DO need my little "pick-me-up" in the morning. I'm assuming this will be okay. Am I correct in that assumption?

Actually I think it would be an issue.

They do sell soda even though they might not have the free Iced tea.

Do they really have drink service at breakfast? Considering that they can't even serve iced tea at that time, I find it hard to believe that they would serve soda (or pop, as we like to call it).

I carried on Diet Vanilla Coke with me and carried them around with me on the ship. I didn't have a can with me when I went to the Lido, or the dining room, but I really don't think they would have cared. How would they know if it was a can that you brought with you or a can from your cabin refrigerator? I can understand if you take a bottle of wine with you to dinner, and they have to uncork the bottle and serve it (the corkage fee applies here), but this is a can of pop. I also carried on a couple of bottles of water and those with me at various times.

Happy cruising! :)

Your dining room steward will see to it that you are served a coke if that is what you wish. You need only request he get someone to serve you a beverage. As mentioned, if you wanted a bloody mary or mimosa, that would be handled and so will your coke. You don't really want to walk in with a can of coke, do you?

It will be allowed most likely because HAL won't want an issue made of it.

All the rest is rationalization; on both sides what makes it wrong and what justifies it.

Usual behavior in a restaurant is to order from their menu or follow their published policies.

HAL only has Coke products, at least as far as I remember. Have a fun cruise! :)

You're right. HAL serves Coke products; not Pepsi.

It will be allowed most likely because HAL won't want an issue made of it.

All the rest is rationalization; on both sides what makes it wrong and what justifies it.

Usual behavior in a restaurant is to order from their menu or follow their published policies.

I agree with Happy Cruzer that no one in uniform will probably make any comment because they are too well mannered to say something to someone carrying cans of soda into the Dining Room.

If they can do beverage service in the morning, what is it that prevents the MDR from serving iced tea at breakfast when the Lido can provide it? Doesn't make sense to me.

If they had iced tea in the MDR, then I would drink the iced tea. I just don't see why I should be made to pay extra just because I don't drink coffee. It's not like HAL won't be getting other onboard revenue from me -- I plan to buy at least one wine card and book some shore excursions at the very minimum. I'm sure I'll find other ways to spend money onboard as the cruise progresses.

If you happen to like a particular product - Diet Vanilla Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper, Grape NeHi, etc - I don't think HAL has those. At least I don't recall seeing them in the cabin fridge. Then you really do need to BYO, or spend a week without your favorite. Fortunately, I like Coca-Cola.

side note to the good old days. Our second cruise was on the Carnival Tropicale before open seating. Our first day at breakfast we asked for iced tea. The busboy (before assit waiters) looked preplexed. He came back a few minutes later and appologized, explaining that the man who made the tea didn't start until 10:00. We told him it was not problem at all.

The next morning we sat down and our ice tea appeared. He smiled and said" I make it myself". He made for us everyday of the cruise.... that's what it's all about :)

Less than 24 hours until we're on board the Zaandam! :D

Aloha!

You can get Cokes or any other soft drink any time you wish, even at breakfast. If you're eating breakfast in the MDR or at the Pinnacle, and you desire iced tea, simply order a pot of hot tea and a large glass of ice. I did, and it worked out fine! ;) As I recall, iced tea was available in the Lido at all meals. I may be incorrect about that as we ate breakfast mostly in the MDR to avoid the crowds.

Have a great cruise! :)

First off I have taken my Coke into the breakfast dining room many times, sorry if that offended someone but everytime I have ordered one they have said they can't get them because the service bars are not open. I am on vacation and I drink a Pepsi every morning and I am going to do the same (albeit Coke) on a cruise.

Kirk

Archived