How early do you pack

LosetoCruise

I have all of my clothes pressed and hanging but I have a problem. The weather is changing fast where I live and I have had to get my winter clothes out and I am out of closet space. I leave on Nov. 7th. Do you think my clothes would be anymore wrinkled if I packed them now rather than 3 days before I leave? I went and got cleaner bags for my formal wear and nightly dinner clothes. I have the X LG zip lock bags for my day clothes. All suggestions for packing my clothes early with the least amount of wrinkle would be appreciated.

I start laying stuff out almost as soon as the DH tells me the cruise is booked! That's usually 1 to 2 months before our sail date.:eek: I don't actually put stuff in the suitcase I hang it on the door on one of those over the door hanging bars. I truly enjoy packing for my trips and consider it part of the fun of traveling. I've got it pretty much down to a science when it comes to packing for cruises. My toiletry bag is always packed and ready to go. I always refill it when I return from a vacation so that it's ready to go at a moment's notice. After years of cruising I know what I'll need and want depending on what excursions we are doing. I'm getting stuff together right now for our Thanksgiving trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Not a cruise unfortunately, but a great vacation it will be nonetheless!:D

I have no closet space or extra rooms either, so I use a rolling rack that we can dissasemble and keep stored. I think I got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, let me look for a link:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=11720331&RN=303

I put it up the week before our cruise in the living room downstairs and hang everything on it, the folded stuff and shoes underneath. I even put all the jewelry and accessories with each outfit. Then I can pack from the rack and stay out of the bedroom...it helps to not pack what-ifs and too many clothing items. It also helps you to not forget any items.

I pack as late as I can, the night before if we are leaving early the next day or that morning if I have enough time. It takes only about a half hour to pack both suitcases (mine and DH's) if everything is sorted and ready to go.

I have everything ready to go a few days before and pack the night before I fly out. I'm leaving on Saturday morning for FLL for a Sunday sailing on Emerald Princess and everything is ready for the suitcase except for the folding and packing that will be done Friday afternoon/evening. My toiletries bag never gets unpacked--just refilled.

I start laying stuff out almost as soon as the DH tells me the cruise is booked! That's usually 1 to 2 months before our sail date.:eek: I don't actually put stuff in the suitcase I hang it on the door on one of those over the door hanging bars. I truly enjoy packing for my trips and consider it part of the fun of traveling. I've got it pretty much down to a science when it comes to packing for cruises. My toiletry bag is always packed and ready to go. I always refill it when I return from a vacation so that it's ready to go at a moment's notice. After years of cruising I know what I'll need and want depending on what excursions we are doing. I'm getting stuff together right now for our Thanksgiving trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Not a cruise unfortunately, but a great vacation it will be nonetheless!:D

I'm with you! I love to pack. I actually start to "pack on paper" with lists a long time in advance before I start getting the clothes together. I usually have a big pile about a week beforehand, and then the day or two before I edit things out when I actually use the suitcase.

LosetoCruise: If you must use the suitcase in advance, try rolling the clothes up instead of folding for less wrinkles.

I have no closet space or extra rooms either, so I use a rolling rack that we can dissasemble and keep stored. I think I got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, let me look for a link:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=11720331&RN=303

I put it up the week before our cruise in the living room downstairs and hang everything on it, the folded stuff and shoes underneath. I even put all the jewelry and accessories with each outfit. Then I can pack from the rack and stay out of the bedroom...it helps to not pack what-ifs and too many clothing items. It also helps you to not forget any items.

I pack as late as I can, the night before if we are leaving early the next day or that morning if I have enough time. It takes only about a half hour to pack both suitcases (mine and DH's) if everything is sorted and ready to go.

Your plan is the best I have ever read on here. I hate to pack almost as much as I hate wrapping presents at Christmas time. It's not the first time I have read good ideas from you on here. Thanks so much. I was just at Bed, bath and beyond yesterday but might just take another trip.

Marianne

I am lucky enough to have a guest bedroom that I take over! I also use a rolling garment rack. The rack I have has a handy shelf over the hanging bar. I can fold tshirts and accessories and stack them on the shelf.

I also pull out the rolling garment rack for the holiday get-togethers. I hang the guest coats and that avoids the pile on the bed option. I also use it to hang delicates to dry. So it does earn its keep. Mine can also be taken apart for storage, but I just never take it apart....too lazy.:p

This was the first time I used the ziplock storage bags and they worked out great. I rolled the clothes, too. I picked up these tips somewhere on this board. Well worth it. :)

i start packing in my head...on paper as soon as i know i am going on a cruise/trip! i like to pack as soon as i can so i dont start SECOND GUESSING everything i am taking like now...i have packed 2 weeks before and not many wrinkles at all-and most dont bother me because they are not really noticeable--i dont iron-anything that has to be pressed goes to the cleaners (which isnt much at all)...i am going to PACK using Dry-Cleaning bags this time and probably least 1 week or more before because i have CLOTHES right now EVERYWHERE:eek:

This was the first time I used the ziplock storage bags and they worked out great. I rolled the clothes, too. I picked up these tips somewhere on this board. Well worth it. :)

Been following this thread - leaving for Panama Canal Cruise on the Island Princess. Have started gathering/trying on clothes to pack. Have read a lot about using the ziplock storage bags for packing clothes. I put several tops in one bag compressed it, put several t-shirts in another compressed it - but it didn't really seem to save room in suitcase. Is there a trick to using them or am I doing something wrong. :confused:

I have all of my clothes pressed and hanging but I have a problem. The weather is changing fast where I live and I have had to get my winter clothes out and I am out of closet space. I leave on Nov. 7th. Do you think my clothes would be anymore wrinkled if I packed them now rather than 3 days before I leave? I went and got cleaner bags for my formal wear and nightly dinner clothes. I have the X LG zip lock bags for my day clothes. All suggestions for packing my clothes early with the least amount of wrinkle would be appreciated.

I do not pack early but I do set aside early. Our b2b is in August 2010 and I have all clothing separated and ready to be placed in space bags. I place several items on top of each other, place underwear in the center and fold the pile in half, then place the folded pile in the space bag. Day wear does not need to be pressed but evening wear does.

• 2 months later...

I started this past weekend for our cruise on February 14th. I got shorts etc out and tried everything all, did some wash, folded up again and sitting in a neat pile in our bedroom. I swear I am not going to buy any new clothes etc for this cruise....one exception, had to have a new pair of sandals:D

• 7 months later...

Started packing now for Panama, flying 9/22 to San Diego.

Bought a really neat set of luggage from HSN that has a garment bag like closet that goes in the suitcase with extra compartments and zipper bags. I can iron and hang everything in the garment bag in my closet, then just snap it up and put it in the suitcase. As long as I stay under the weight limit, we'll be okay (flying Southwest, so free bags under 50 pounds). Anyway, this has been the easiest way to pack. Have never been away for 17 days!!!

I'm with you! I love to pack. I actually start to "pack on paper" with lists a long time in advance before I start getting the clothes together. I usually have a big pile about a week beforehand, and then the day or two before I edit things out when I actually use the suitcase.

LosetoCruise: If you must use the suitcase in advance, try rolling the clothes up instead of folding for less wrinkles.

I booked our January Southern Carribean cruise in July and have it on my mind constantly, and every night I pack in my head.:D Today I was ridinig the jet ski at the lake and decided to do black and white for everything so it would be easier to pack and match. Yesterday I bought a pink-sequined scarf that can help dress up those black and white outfits.

But I typically pack the day before so as not to wrinkle things too much.

I don't leave till next Oct (2011), but I stared putting stuff aside in April:eek: I've got a big rubermaid container in the pantry, & I slowly put things in there, bought dh a new bathing suit, a couple of dresses for me; I'm planned out on paper already. I love knowing what I'll be wearing in Istanbul 14 months from now :). Goal is to have 90% of our stuff in the containers about a month before we go, we'll be 95% packed in the suitcases two weeks ahead, & completed the week before we go. Did this last year, & it worked out well, nice not to be stressed that last week; & have the house all clean.

Archived