A lawsuit waiting to happen

Baires

So, I'm at the Liberty of the Seas, sailing away from San Juan, trying to avoid the cruise staff's incessant, exhausting attempts at getting their hands on our charge cards. As if dodging the ones yielding cameras trying to sell us our picture and the ones handing us flyers touting bogus discounts on overpriced merchandise wasn't enough, we had to hear the wildest representations that cross the line into snake-oil salesmanship of dubious legality.

My two favorites so far are "seminar" designed to sell you some spa service or another, where the statement was made that anxiety, depression and cancer "can't happen" if you have the proper Ph balance, and the annoying lady running the shopping show, meant to make sure that passengers only shop at stores that pay off the cruise line for their promotion racket, who assured the audience that an investment in some sort of stone called "Tanzanite" will increase in value at a rate of 20% a year. I'm sure none of these people are licensed to give medical or financial advice, and wonder whether it's even legal for them to do so. Perhaps in international waters it is. Even if they are not breaking the law, they should be concerned about getting sued by people that follow their advice (do the cleansing tratment to avoid cancer or sink their savings into a trinket) and the promises they heard don't pan out as expected.

Have you heard similar actionable statements during your cruise? What do you think?

So, I'm at the Liberty of the Seas, sailing away from San Juan, trying to avoid the cruise staff's incessant, exhausting attempts at getting their hands on our charge cards. As if dodging the ones yielding cameras trying to sell us our picture and the ones handing us flyers touting bogus discounts on overpriced merchandise wasn't enough, we had to hear the wildest representations that cross the line into snake-oil salesmanship of dubious legality.

My two favorites so far are "seminar" designed to sell you some spa service or another, where the statement was made that anxiety, depression and cancer "can't happen" if you have the proper Ph balance, and the annoying lady running the shopping show, meant to make sure that passengers only shop at stores that pay off the cruise line for their promotion racket, who assured the audience that an investment in some sort of stone called "Tanzanite" will increase in value at a rate of 20% a year. I'm sure none of these people are licensed to give medical or financial advice, and wonder whether it's even legal for them to do so. Perhaps in international waters it is. Even if they are not breaking the law, they should be concerned about getting sued by people that follow their advice (do the cleansing tratment to avoid cancer or sink their savings into a trinket) and the promises they heard don't pan out as expected.

Have you heard similar actionable statements during your cruise? What do you think?

You did know know this would happen? Is it your first cruise? Ignore them all and enjoy your cruise! :D

Wow...I can't imagine why you'd ever want to take a cruise. Obviously, they are nothing more than a poorly veiled attempt to steal your money and do you bodily harm!

Baires, I'm giving you good advice. Never complain about any aspect of the cruise because some will say "you should have known". Some will say it's "your fault". Wait and see some of the responses to your posting. Good Luck with your cruise.

I've never had a problem avoiding all that. The sales persons are usually standing at a static display, not chasing people down. If they offer something when I walk by, I just say "no thanks," then completely forget the short verbal exchange ever happened.

Honestly---you will get that sort of thing at ANY vacation spot, whether it's on a ship, or at a beach destination or a ski lodge....anywhere!

All you have to do is say, "No, thanks", and go on your way.

Actionable? If you think any unsolisited advice is the way to go, you deserve to get "taken"!

Just say "No thank you" and go on about your day. No worries.

Funny tho, on our last cruise I won "50% off" (a specific) spa treatment. I had never had a spa treatment so I did not mind spending the money to do it. ( I knew they would try to sell me something--no problem, I can say No if I want to) Well, the treatment was fun, relaxing (well, other than the nice gal talking the whole time about 'detox' ...what ever--she was pleasent and soft spoken and very nice) and of course she suggested that I 'needed' the follow up at home treatment (total cost for 3 months course of 'home treatment'?--? $1390!!!---No thank you, that is out of my price range) --I did buy a $44 'body bursh'---ok, I wanted to buy something :p

What Floored Me was when she told me that if I did use the home treatment I would not need my prescription medication for Acid Reflux anymore... I must have given her a strange look, because she said "you know, the toxins would be gone so you would not need the medicine that only helps build up the toxins in your body" I just smiled and said I would think about it.

bottom line, is you dont HAVE to buy anything they are selling. And common sense should prevail regardless.

Someone needs an attitude adjustment. :rolleyes: Get off the Promenade and away from all the hype. Go up on deck and get a few overpriced drinks and you'll feel much better.

Every single business has a sales pitch. Just laugh it off - after all, you're not being forced to buy anything, are you? Let them take your picture - no one says you have to buy it. Take the flyers with a smile and toss them in the nearest trash can.

Baires, this must be short for Barrister (Lawyer). :o If you are a Lawyer it is against CC regs to advertise for clients on this web site. If not a lawyer you are practicing without a license.

Go else where to find clients for your frivolous law suits. :rolleyes:

Sue L. yes tanzanite has been around for years, but has never gone up in value. :D Only down.

If you are looking for some "actionable action", you can find it here in Nashville, on U. S. turf, any September at the TN State Fair.:D

In my limited cruising history the only people who have done great financial harm to my sea pass account has been bartenders and drink waiters. Boy are they greedy!!!

I've never been to a spa seminar or a port seminar. I have enough common sense to know that they are going to try and sell me something I don't want. There are too many other things to do on board than sit in around listening to their pitch.

The lovely people with the cameras do not take your money. They do not ask for your money and if you do not want your lovely self photographed then speak up and tell them no, politely works well or you can use the same crabby attitude you infested the boards with. Which ever works for you.

Baires, I'm giving you good advice. Never complain about any aspect of the cruise because some will say "you should have known". Some will say it's "your fault". Wait and see some of the responses to your posting. Good Luck with your cruise.

Then there are other posters who only sign on so they can respond to topics like these and give them a high five.

I wonder what the OP will make of the 'Art' Auctions.....

I guess that is coming in post #2.

I've never had a problem avoiding all that. The sales persons are usually standing at a static display, not chasing people down. If they offer something when I walk by, I just say "no thanks," then completely forget the short verbal exchange ever happened.

I never thought about it this way until I read your post, but it is good practice for what you are going to encounter when you go ashore at ports of call.

Baires, this must be short for Barrister (Lawyer). :o If you are a Lawyer it is against CC regs to advertise for clients on this web site. If not a lawyer you are practicing without a license.

Go else where to find clients for your frivolous law suits. :rolleyes:

Sue L. yes tanzanite has been around for years, but has never gone up in value. :D Only down.

that's is why I never bought it, prefer diamonds they go with anything. LOL

Let them take your picture - no one says you have to buy it.

We learned years ago to just smile. esp when getting off the ship at the ports. (esp if they have the dressed up people in costumes--) I rarely buy these, we usually make it fun (at least for our selves) by giving thumbs up :cool: or making a scared face as the pirate puts the cutlass up to us. :eek:

:D

Just say "No thank you" and go on about your day. No worries.

Funny tho, on our last cruise I won "50% off" (a specific) spa treatment. I had never had a spa treatment so I did not mind spending the money to do it. ( I knew they would try to sell me something--no problem, I can say No if I want to) Well, the treatment was fun, relaxing (well, other than the nice gal talking the whole time about 'detox' ...what ever--she was pleasent and soft spoken and very nice) and of course she suggested that I 'needed' the follow up at home treatment (total cost for 3 months course of 'home treatment'?--? $1390!!!---No thank you, that is out of my price range) --I did buy a $44 'body bursh'---ok, I wanted to buy something :p

What Floored Me was when she told me that if I did use the home treatment I would not need my prescription medication for Acid Reflux anymore... I must have given her a strange look, because she said "you know, the toxins would be gone so you would not need the medicine that only helps build up the toxins in your body" I just smiled and said I would think about it.

bottom line, is you dont HAVE to buy anything they are selling. And common sense should prevail regardless.

Next time tell her you have a portable detox system- it's called your Liver :D

So you're saying that if I suggest someone buys a particular stock even though I've had bad luck with it, I could be sued for giving out bad financial advice?

I mean come on. This is how America got its reputation for being sue-happy...

And I've never gone to a shopping seminar onboard because I know they're gonna tell me to shop in the ship-sponsored stores!

Archived