A lawsuit waiting to happen

Baires

:o If you are a Lawyer it is against CC regs to advertise for clients on this web site. If not a lawyer you are practicing without a license.

While I think the op's complaint was pretty pointless, I did not see it as advertising for clients or practicing law. It was just a very melodramatic opinion post.

Welcome to CC, easiest way is to keep walking and ignore them, I do....and btw tanzanite has been around for many years.

Did you buy your pile of it...with it running out so fast....:eek::D

Agree with Sue...ignore and walk on away from those folks who are pushing their wares.

I call MUD on this post - Made Up Drama. "A lawsuit waiting to happen" puh-leeze. I'm sure there are people who don't spend a dime once aboard, other than gratuities. These persons are the masters of "no thank you".

Thanks, I'll have to remember that - MUD.

Seasoned cruisers know how to avoid buying anything they don't want. They are masters of not paying attention to such things as pamphlets' date=' investment claims, spa information.

We just trash can it -- or walk away from it -- and go on having a good time on our cruise.

No, there is nothing in the information desiminated on a cruise ship that would warrant a lawsuit.

You are free to indulge....or not. Choice is your.[/quote']

It has never ever occurred to me to attend a port talk or purchase from Park West or any of the other areas of complaint. I don't see it as being a seasoned cruiser but having common sense.

While the idea of a lawsuit isn't something that will accomplish anything the sad part is that there are cruisers who fall for these "lines and promotions".

They may be suckers but I feel sorry for many people who fall for this and give up their time and money for a load of crap.

It is starting to get out of hand.

Take care,

Mike

If it is annoying, then put it on your comment card at the end of the cruise and perhaps even follow up with an email to customer relations. But as I wrote in response to Gma - it takes common sense. I'm sorry if people are falling for it, but what can you do about stupid? Not to say I've never made an inappropriate vacation purchase, but it would never occur to me to blame the person selling or the cruise line, or hotel, shop, etc. I can only blame myself if I buy the pitch.

Baires, I'm giving you good advice. Never complain about any aspect of the cruise because some will say "you should have known". Some will say it's "your fault". Wait and see some of the responses to your posting. Good Luck with your cruise.

I agree with you 100 percent. They pray for threads like these, followed by what to wear and tipping;) I do enjoy reading the 'experts' reponse on these issues. I am the first to admit, I have been $uckered into a few purchases in my life.

Op- I personally find some of the sale pitches distasteful. On Carnival you can't get from the dining room to the bathroom with being approached by a photographer. Forget about laying on deck in peace without being offered the drink of the day, yet I love them so. Unfortunately there are many who buy the tactic to shop at a certain place or book their excursions. Why would anyone want to spend $20 on pics you could get at Sears for $2 is beyond me;) Gold by the inch, what is that all about? I almost bought the teeth whitening kit before realizing they did not provide the follow-up kit. Without the kit it would have been one very expensive cleaning. After I declined, the salesperson was nice enough to say, haa you don't really need it:D So I respectfully disagree and pointed out the fact that whiter teeth comes in handy when I smile in the dark :-) Not sure if it's a lawsuit but a nice way to pry of unsuspected cruisers and some CC experts way of making you feel like cr@p for not being as knowlegebale as them.

I agree with you 100 percent. They pray for threads like these, followed by what to wear and tipping;) I do enjoy reading the 'experts' reponse on these issues. I am the first to admit, I have been $uckered into a few purchases in my life.

Op- I personally find some of the sale pitches distasteful. On Carnival you can't get from the dining room to the bathroom with being approached by a photographer. Forget about laying on deck in peace without being offered the drink of the day, yet I love them so. Unfortunately there are many who buy the tactic to shop at a certain place or book their excursions. Why would anyone want to spend $20 on pics you could get at Sears for $2 is beyond me;) Gold by the inch, what is that all about? I almost bought the teeth whitening kit before realizing they did not provide the follow-up kit. Without the kit it would have been one very expensive cleaning. After I declined, the salesperson was nice enough to say, haa you don't really need it:D So I respectfully disagree and pointed out the fact that whiter teeth comes in handy when I smile in the dark :-) Not sure if it's a lawsuit but a nice way to pry of unsuspected cruisers and some CC experts way of making you feel like cr@p for not being as knowlegebale as them.

I think we all have made some impulse purchases on vacation, at the mall, at the church bazaar, etc. We have all been accosted at the State fair, car show, straw markets in the islands by over anxious sales people. No one on here is defending the cruise ships for allowing the over agressive vendors, in fact I think it should be brought to their attention that it is a major turn off for vacationers.

What we are saying is - use common sense. You do not have to have 40 cruises under your belt, or even 1 to know crap when you hear it. That doesn't make me any smarter than the OP, perhaps just a little wiser to not let it ruin my vacation and put me in such a foul mood after spending a hunk of money to have a good time.

On the first night at dinner on our family cruise this past Aug, our food had just come, and a pushy photographer was very demanding of how we needed to pose for her pics. "Move the glass, get closer together" etc. It was very irritating and uncomfortable to say the least, and we all agreed that we did not want this repeated.

The next day, my husband and I went to the dining room and he spoke to a head waiter (we had sailed at one of his tables last year) and explained to him our complaint. We told him we did not want any pics taken of us at dinner at all (they probably think we're vampires :p) I saw him then speak to OUR head waiter, and also noticed OUR HW speak to the photograpers at dinner the next night, and magically--no pics, no interruptions, no uncomfortable posing""!! It was taken care of and we enjoyed the rest of our dining experiences!!

Doreen

I have traveled a lot in Spanish speaking countried and use two phrases. When they speak to me in English I say "NO Habla Ingles" then they speak to me in Spanish. I say No Habla Espanol". After that they usually go silent not knowing what to say. It's a crack up. My other advice, just ignore it and smile.

And before anyone with too much free time, and not enough power in their life responds about my spelling-whatever get a life.

Or the relentless "gentlemen" in Cozumel trying to pawn off "real Cuban" cigars- perfect answer- No fumar. :D Same reaction- silence.

When approached by a salesperson, or whatever offering something I have no interest in, I usually do a Jedi hand wave. Politely, of course, but the meaning is clear..."these are not the droids that you're looking for"...works everytime.

That Obi Wan sure knew what he was doing.

:D

That said, if we're feeling spiffy, we will have our picture taken at dinner. We usually don't buy them, but my favorite photos of us are from one of our cruise dinners.

On the first night at dinner on our family cruise this past Aug, our food had just come, and a pushy photographer was very demanding of how we needed to pose for her pics. "Move the glass, get closer together" etc. It was very irritating and uncomfortable to say the least, and we all agreed that we did not want this repeated.

The next day, my husband and I went to the dining room and he spoke to a head waiter (we had sailed at one of his tables last year) and explained to him our complaint. We told him we did not want any pics taken of us at dinner at all (they probably think we're vampires :p) I saw him then speak to OUR head waiter, and also noticed OUR HW speak to the photograpers at dinner the next night, and magically--no pics, no interruptions, no uncomfortable posing""!! It was taken care of and we enjoyed the rest of our dining experiences!!

Doreen

Amazing!!

Whatever happened to the ability to just say "no, thanks"....and move on.

So, I'm at the Liberty of the Seas, sailing away from San Juan, trying to avoid the cruise staff's incessant, exhausting attempts at getting their hands on our charge cards.

When I see people trying to sell items I see regular people just trying to make a living. As other posters have said, just be polite and say "'No thanks".

Sometimes the things we find most objectionable in others are actually

projections of the things we find most objectionable in ourselves.

I trust that this is not the case in your own situation.

And if it is not the case, be thankful that you are able to put food on your own table other than by selling unneeded services to others.

When approached by a salesperson, or whatever offering something I have no interest in, I usually do a Jedi hand wave. Politely, of course, but the meaning is clear..."these are not the droids that you're looking for"...works everytime.

That said, if we're feeling spiffy, we will have our picture taken at dinner. We usually don't buy them, but my favorite photos of us are from one of our cruise dinners.

LOL...the wave ...I love it....

Actually, I have cruised with friends who love this whole sale experience and don't mind being taken advantage of(but are they? maybe not in their minds) ...of course, they have never had children, who are the biggest scalpers of all;);)

How dare you bring maturity and humor into this dreadful thread????:mad:;):)

Doreen

Pushy Photgragher? Heck, I guess you never asked a server or stranger to take a photo with your camera?

Is all you have to say is no photo tonight.

I am one who purchases dinner photos if the photogragher does a nice job which does inclue a balanced subject shot without flowers and glasses and often I suggest to move these thigs out of the way ........each to his own, my DH would probably agree with you though.

When I see people trying to sell items I see regular people just trying to make a living. As other posters have said, just be polite and say "'No thanks".

Sometimes the things we find most objectionable in others are actually

projections of the things we find most objectionable in ourselves.

I trust that this is not the case in your own situation.

And if it is not the case, be thankful that you are able to put food on your own table other than by selling unneeded services to others.

I agree.....as my DH says I have a sign on my forehead that says will buy from any street vendor...and I do...I love bargaining when on vacation and even though most of the products I purchase will get limited use....I have helped the vendor make a living and made them feel what they are selling does have value, at least to me.

What we are saying is - use common sense. You do not have to have 40 cruises under your belt, or even 1 to know crap when you hear it. .

I agree but many are unprepared to deal with this. The OP made an observation, so why the usual sarcasim? We might see it differently and know how to resist the pitch, good for us. The only way I could get DH not to buy things in Jamaica is to let him tell them DW will k1ll him. Luckily the vendors can relate to the wrath on a angry Jamaican woman:D

I kept buying the pictures because for 15 years the photographers said I looked 29 and stunning. I found out recently I look 35 dark and lovely. No more photos from them:D;)

Jamaican born, bred and proud of it;)

Archived