She's Stopped!

mark0114

wow lets just hope that they are not going back an that everthing is alright and that they are just doing some kind of tranning or maybe they just want to see what she can do out in the open waters or maybe they stoped for a cocktail or 2 for all on board lol :)

It looks like she did this once before. I'm alomst POSITIVE they are testing things and turning her around and stopping her and starting her. Over the next two weeks, I'm sure they have a MILLION tests that they will be completing regarding everything on the ship. Might as well get the ones that affect how she sails out of the way while they are still within a day sailing of Turku.

Shortly after starting she did a simliar move in which she turned around and then after traveling doing a series of 180s she continued in the right direction again. That was probably to get a feeling of the control she has since it's the first time RCCL is piloting her. This time it could be an overboard drill. I think they are required to do these drills (not sure if it is routine, once every so long or just at launch) in which a dummy is thrown overboard and they must go through the process of rescuing it.

ick, training at nearly 10pm at night (local). Helsinki is showing a +34F temp currently. Hate to be the odd man in the man overboard training.

Anyway, glad I am not the only one watching he progress continuously... My wife thinks I'm nuts.

Craig

JAN 02 2010

ick, training at nearly 10pm at night (local). Helsinki is showing a +34F temp currently. Hate to be the odd man in the man overboard training.

Anyway, glad I am not the only one watching he progress continuously... My wife thinks I'm nuts.

Craig

JAN 02 2010

I know I'm going to get killed for this but I think you're a little nuts too. I'm very excited about the ship and will be on the pre-innaugural but to sit in front a computer and watch continuously the ship sailing...I don't get it. But to each their own I guess. Happy Viewing.

My wife thinks I'm nuts too...however to me it's fun to watch something so new, so massive, so magnificantly engineered come to life then watch her as she leaves the port. Ahhh...technology is wonderful (most of the time anyway)!

I guess I'm just so excited about this cruise (June 19, 2010)--more than any other than I have been on.

Where is that bridge that she barely clears? ETA to it?

Rick

Well, I just measured on Google Earth, and it looks like Oasis is currently 600 miles+/- from the Great Belt Bridge. So if keeping at 24 knots, the Oasis should make it there sometime late tomorrow. It might be dark when she gets there.

Well, I just measured on Google Earth, and it looks like Oasis is currently 600 miles+/- from the Great Belt Bridge. So if keeping at 24 knots, the Oasis should make it there sometime late tomorrow. It might be dark when she gets there.

Yes, I think it will be. I read that OASIS as well as the bridge will be completely lit up. Lots of photo opportunities that I'm sure RCI will take advantage of.

To get under the bridge, it has to be low tide, the funnel retracted, and OASIS at full speed to sit deeper in the water.

Very cool!

Ernie

Yes, I think it will be. I read that OASIS as well as the bridge will be completely lit up. Lots of photo opportunities that I'm sure RCI will take advantage of.

To get under the bridge, it has to be low tide, the funnel retracted, and OASIS at full speed to sit deeper in the water.

Very cool!

Ernie

Yeah, I bet it will be quite a site... seeing that ginormous ship coming out of the darkness like a freight train at 24 knots and just making it under the bridge without hitting. If I were in the area, I wouldn't miss it.;)

Passage under the Great Belt is scheduled for 9:30pm on Saturday Night (so 3:30pm Eastern Time US).

Looks like there is really good AIS coverage in that area, so should be able to watch the process. FWIW, I think OASIS is having problems with the AIS system on the ship, it appears that it is set up to update every 30 minutes (this is changeable by the crew) and the status of "SEA TRIALS" has obviously not be changed since September (again, this is something that needs to me entered manually).

Craig

JAN 02 2010

Yeah, I bet it will be quite a site... seeing that ginormous ship coming out of the darkness like a freight train at 24 knots and just making it under the bridge without hitting. If I were in the area, I wouldn't miss it.;)

Wow can you imagine if she hits the top of the bridge? :eek: (knock on wood)

There is supposed to be only 1 ft clearance and that is when the telescopic smokestacks are lowered to their lowest level, and she has to speed up significantly just to be deep enough to clear it.

Now there is one video I would like to see - the clearing of the top I mean....!

Archived