"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I haven't read through this entire thread yet, so I'm not sure if has been mentioned but something we're definitely bringing this cruise is a couple of those Crystal Light or Dasani liquid drops to put in our water for some flavor :D

Does anyone know if the bathroom lights (on Royal Caribbean) automatically turn on when you walk into the bathroom? I could swear on Celebrity they did....because I was wondering if we should bring a flame-less candle or nightlight for some light in the bathroom during the night in case either of us need to use the restroom :rolleyes:

kbset...we usually have an inside cabin and they are VERY dark at night. We turn on the bathroom light and close the door. Just enough light comes out from under the door to guide you to the bathroom during the night, but not enough to disturb a good night's sleep. Also it's always a good idea to keep a flashlight on the bedside table.

If you're snorkeling in the Caribbean and you're fair skinned, I highly recommend using a swim shirt. Sunscreen will eventually wash off and your back can get fried, since it's exposed to direct sunlight for a long period of time.

I could feel the burn after 30 min. It hurt after an hour. I should have quit while I was ahead.

Jim

If you're snorkeling in the Caribbean and you're fair skinned, I highly recommend using a swim shirt. Sunscreen will eventually wash off and your back can get fried, since it's exposed to direct sunlight for a long period of time.

And for the love of all that is holy, coat your behind liberally with sunscreen.... your swimsuit WILL ride up and you WON'T realize it and you WILL roast your buns!!!!

One added note... you're often not allowed to wear normal sunscreen while snorkeling near reefs. So a swim shirt might be the only protection you have.

Wanted to jump in so I don't lose this thread. SOOO much great information, although we don't have our cruise fully planned lol. We know where we want to go, and through who, and what we want to do while there... it's just a matter of life and when. Til then, I will keep compiling great advice! Thanks! :)

Don't overpack. No one really cares if you wear the same thing twice.

Bring a sweater /light jacket. It will be very breezy and maybe chilly especially in winter and after dark

Don't start looking for problems/issues for you will surely find them.

Wear sunscreen- this is not the week to get a burn.

Don't eat in the buffet all the time. Put on a decent shirt and go to the main dining room.

Really read that daily magazine- we don't want to read a review complaining that no one told you about the pasta bar, or that pastries were free at the coffee bar, or you couldn't find the cute little adults only pool . The very first day, take the map with you and walk over the entire ship, explore every deck, etc.

Just have a good time.

Don't overpack. No one really cares if you wear the same thing twice.

Bring a sweater /light jacket. It will be very breezy and maybe chilly especially in winter and after dark.

Don't start looking for problems/issues for you will surely find them.

Wear sunscreen- this is not the week to get a burn.

Don't eat in the buffet all the time. Put on a decent shirt and go to the main dining room.

Really read that daily magazine- we don't want to read a review complaining that no one told you about the pasta bar, or that pastries were free at the coffee bar, or you couldn't find the cute little adults only pool . The very first day, take the map with you and walk over the entire ship, explore every deck, etc.

Just have a good time.

Great advice.... Exploring the ship when you first go on board is a really good idea. Sad to find a place on board on the final day which you have really enjoy spending time in. There are lots of places on the internet which have the deck plans for your ship, and it is a good idea to have a look at those in advance of your cruise to get an idea of where things are.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but one thing I found to be helpful was to have maps of the ship decks handy on my phone. I carry my phone everywhere, and found that to be easier than carrying paper with the deck plans printed on it. Check the app store to see if your cruise line has an app that includes deck plans, and check to see if you can still access them without being connected to the internet (I kept my phone in airplane mode the entire time). The longer we were on the ship, the more familiar we became with the layout, but the first couple days the Carnival app really came in handy!

What is the name of the app? I searched in the App Store but didn't find anything

What is the name of the app? I searched in the App Store but didn't find anything

I found one called Ship Mate that had a different app for many of the cruise lines. This was android though, not sure about iOS ..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I found one called Ship Mate that had a different app for many of the cruise lines. This was android though, not sure about iOS ..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It is available on iOS, and it's free. Just downloaded it a few days ago. Seems useful so far.

I am SO glad I found this website and even more glad I found this thread! This will be my first cruise and I am super excited. It's really great to see so many helpful hints! Without this thread, I would surely over pack! :)

Edited by Firematika

kbset...we usually have an inside cabin and they are VERY dark at night. We turn on the bathroom light and close the door. Just enough light comes out from under the door to guide you to the bathroom during the night, but not enough to disturb a good night's sleep. Also it's always a good idea to keep a flashlight on the bedside table.

This has probably been said before on this thread...we always take a very small, dim, plug in night light for our cabin so we can find our way around at night.

On my first cruise I was shy and didnt do a lot of the things that I wanted to. This next time around I'm going with the philosophy of 'I don't know anybody on this ship, and I probably won't ever see them again so why not have fun'. My piece of advice is Don't be shy, jump on in and enjoy your vacation.

On our first cruise with ncl we went to a seminar about excursions and ports of call. They told us not to take cash as all the straw markets and shopping eating places only took cards. This is sooo not true. Just the opposite in fact. Every straw market we wrnt to or street vendor only took cash. They informed us cruise ships tell passengers this to keep the money on the boat so you will shop with them instead. Take cash!

On our first cruise with ncl we went to a seminar about excursions and ports of call. They told us not to take cash as all the straw markets and shopping eating places only took cards. This is sooo not true. Just the opposite in fact. Every straw market we wrnt to or street vendor only took cash. They informed us cruise ships tell passengers this to keep the money on the boat so you will shop with them instead. Take cash!

Cruise ships don't take cash so that part makes no sense. Everything on the ships goes on your ship board account.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We were told this and of course we know you use a cruise card on ship to purchase things but the less cash you take off your credit card to spend in port the more you have on there to spend on ship. Makes perfect sence to me. We went to a port meeting seminar on ship that yold us not to take cash. So in case anyone else is a first time cruiser and hears the same spill we did they can be informed that those places like straw markets only take cash!