Don't Give your Money to Princess

mickey

Well, this is where I'm not sure. If the contract says OVER 30 days, a segment of 30 days doesn't qualify. (And, I haven't read the contract, so I'm just going on what folks have posted.) The WHOLE cruise is clearly the "World Cruise" (which is why it is called "World") but it isn't clear to me that a segment -- which often has a subname in Princess' catalog, is "The World Cruise".

This is the kind of thing contract law turns on all the time. Princess, as the maker of the contract, has responsibility (at least in US law) for writing clearly. Had they specified that there was a forfeiture of deposit if the cruise is not cancelled at least 120 days before departure of any cruise with a length of 30 days or greater, any World Cruise, or any segment of a World Cruise regardless of length, then there wouldn't be would not be much question.

JUST CHECKED THE CONTRACT AND IT SAYS 30+ SALINGS (INCLUDING WORLD CRUISE AND SEGMENTS CANCELLATIONS 120 DAYS and more no cancellation fee/ 119-90 days deposit. Even at 42 days the total fare is totally non refundable.

I'm sure Princess's lawyers check every thing a hundred times in their contracts

Is the original poster Aussie or American? Princess Australia and Princess in US may have different policies, not sure.

But as posted above, for Aussie cruisers the FCC letters with low deposit do not apply for cruises over 28 days, (have a look at the tiny print at the bottom of FCC letter!)

We had to pay 25% deposit on our Star cruise, 31 days, in March 2011. So Princess have $3000 of our money for a year or so.

Such is life. Made round to go round (money that is.)

OK, I've been lurking this thread for a while....

1: Insurance is simply assigning risk that you are not willing to assume. It's very straightforward. If you are willing to assume the risk..don't buy it!

2: These are things that a reputable TA in a brick and mortar establishment can and do deal with...as your AGENT...hence the name. Not that there are not others that can provide the same service, but is that their primary role?

TTFN!

1: Insurance is simply assigning risk that you are not willing to assume. It's very straightforward. If you are willing to assume the risk..don't buy it!
Very simply put. :) The OP was aware of the cut-off date, meant to get the insurance, but didn't. Now they want their money back, probably because they meant to get the insurance so that should count. Oh, and they had a family situation which was the reason why they had to cancel and so Princess should be sympathetic and give them their money back (as though no one else who has to cancel does so without an equally "good" reason, which, of course isn't true.)

Very simply put. :) The OP was aware of the cut-off date, meant to get the insurance, but didn't. Now they want their money back, probably because they meant to get the insurance so that should count. Oh, and they had a family situation which was the reason why they had to cancel and so Princess should be sympathetic and give them their money back (as though no one else who has to cancel does so without an equally "good" reason, which, of course isn't true.)

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

I think Princess should be more accomadating on this one. The cancellation date fell on a Sunday, so even if the OP had found out that they were unable to go on the cruise on Nov. 15, they likely would not have been able to contact their travel agent, and it's questionable whether or not said agent would have been able to get through to Princess since it is not a normal business day. In most other transactions where the due date is on the weekend, the date is extended to the first business day. This is customary, so I think the OP would have a solid argument for a full refund.

Interesting point. My step DD decided not to go with us on a Sunday and 31 days prior fell on that Sunday and 30 days on Monday. We did contact our TA on Sunday and followed up with an email This was a HAL cruise and we did have their Cancel for Any Reason Platinum Plan. At 31 days we got back 95% but at 30 days 90%. The TA could not get in touch with the HAL department until Monday. I realized this was the reason they were only refunding 90%. I eventually got back the other 5%, but did have email confirmation with the TA (who resolved it) and of course in this case we did purchase the policy.

The problem here was that the OPs plans to purchase insurance were after the penalty date which is confusing since it is before final payment. I am still unclear why the deposit on the second segment is under the same penalty date.

My apologies. I misinterpreted your post. In some ways Princess itself has created this problem by making the penalty date before the full payment date for these situations. What Princess should do is also move up the full payment date for these cases to 120 days before the cruise. There would be no confusion then. As you saw from my earlier post, my view is that Princess should credit the deposit.

Sultan, I was about to post the same thing. Princess should move up the final payment date to match this full loss of the deposit. They might as well get their money earlier.

I purchase CSA Freestyle insurance at "Final Payment" because it goes down in price closer to the cruise date. It also covers pre-existing conditions at Final Payment. However, in this situation that insurance needed to be paid at the time money was no longer refundable, which in this case was 120 days. I actually agree that Princess created the problem in this specific case.

I'm still unclear why the deposit on the second segment is not being refunded.

I'm still unclear why the deposit on the second segment is not being refunded.

I don't think the OP ever specified whether these were booked as two separate cruises or booked as one. Just like B2B cruises, it could probably have been booked with either one or two booking numbers. If it was booked with only one booking number it would explain why he is not getting his deposit for the second leg back. If booked with two booking numbers he definitely has a case for getting the deposit for the second leg back.

Hi There,

Normal UK conditions no refunds.

However just ask for the booking to be transfered to a future cruise,

Fine will be around $100

yours Shogun

Although the future cruise has to be the same price or more and £100.00 transfer fee.

Archived