Don't Give your Money to Princess

mickey

Thumper69

If that is the case why would anyone of us take out insurance. I for one would be upset if Princess gave the deposit back even as a future credit as Ihave paid a lot for cancellation insurance. They made the decision to not take the insurance even when they knew the deposit was non refundable after the date even if two days late.

I dont think they even gave a reason for the cancellation other than a family situation

After reading many posts just like this I believe Princess already does and should look at each of these types of situations as a case by case scenario. The contract rules we all agree on are broken every day. Some cases are legitimate and some are just a scam because of some ridiculous reason, they need to loose their money. The contracts are good to safe guard Princess against the ridiculous.

I don't think anyone on this thread would complain if the OP had a very legitimate reason and got his deposit as a credit on a future cruise, even a rebooking fee. He did make the mistake about his insurance but he is going to cruise again. I also believe if Princess was to come to the party the OP should provide something to substantiate his situation. This would be a win win situation. Compassion goes along way.

Anthony

There are set guide lines in every business dealing.Just because that is the written word does not mean that sometimes that rule cannot be broken in extenuating circumstances.

Thumper69

If that is the case why would anyone of us take out insurance. I for one would be upset if Princess gave the deposit back even as a future credit as Ihave paid a lot for cancellation insurance. They made the decision to not take the insurance even when they knew the deposit was non refundable after the date even if two days late.

I don't think they even gave a reason for the cancellation other than a family situation

I do it for peace of mind. I have also tried to use it and my goodness for what it didn't cover I finally gave up. I would never in this life or the one after, be upset about how a business chose to show compassion with a customer. A cruise is still a big deal to many, so I can imagine cancellation is something personal, serious or even tragic, which many would not disclose on a message board. Knowing people will be upset and possible flame, the information here will continue to be limited. I pray that whatever the cause of the cancellation they get a break on this end. Especially for all the insurance I bought but never use....pass it on! Great companies make good exception on a case by case basis. I know a few within and outside of cruise world with Carnival Corporation and one of it's subsidiaries being one of them.

I am NOT among the 'everyone' who buys insurance but would be upset but would rather smile.....Karma!

And have you ever read completely:

a) The Cruise Critic terms of service you clicked OK on when you joined?

b) The entire contract printed on the back of a car rental form that you signed on the front?

c) The terms of carriage that are available at an airline before you take a flight?

Given that:

a) Cruise Critic is free, no.

b) Given that when I rent a car, its usally $100 or so at the most, no.

c) Given that when I fly short legs, it's usually a matter of a few $100s, no. When it's part of a major vacation and expensive, I buy insurance.

I know, I know, I'm an attorney, but IMO, the Princess Contract is rather straightforward and easy to read. I usually read through it before each cruise just to see if anything's changed.

And just so I don't get an e-mail that I've violated CC rules in highjacking a thread, I think if the OP contacted Princess and went all the way up, well, he/she did the best they could and Princess isn't going to budge. I agree, rules are rules and we shouldn't be surprised when they're enforced. And, yes, insurance is a must when spending this kind of money on a trip that could be cancelled for reasons beyond our control, but in this economy I'm sort of surprised Princess didn't allow for a credit on other sailings. I haven't read this entire thread, if the OP has checked back in that Princess will allow a credit, then sounds like a good resolution for both.

It was very unwise to not take out insurance with such a large deposit.

On the other hand to keep over $6000 for no services does not go well with me.

I always do take out insurance myself so have not had to experience what the OP is going through now.

If I was Princess handling a first time client I would certainly keep one or two thousand but refund the rest with a warning this would not be repeated.

That would set a very bad precedent. Then anyone, at any economic strata, in any cabin on any cruise would be looking to be an "exception".

What does not go well with me is why anyone would ever risk 6000.00 and not buy cancel insurance......then complain when it's lost....

Silly.

I think Princess should be more accomadating on this one. The cancellation date fell on a Sunday, so even if the OP had found out that they were unable to go on the cruise on Nov. 15, they likely would not have been able to contact their travel agent, and it's questionable whether or not said agent would have been able to get through to Princess since it is not a normal business day. In most other transactions where the due date is on the weekend, the date is extended to the first business day. This is customary, so I think the OP would have a solid argument for a full refund.

I disagree. Any travel agency worth it's salt and reputation has an after hours telephone contact.....always.

Cruise lines are open 7 days a week and there is always someone there who can help.

The cancel policy is what it is......they don't make exceptions for anyone. If they do it for one, all will expect it.....

This issue is about taking personal responsibility by making good choices. That much money should have been insured.

It wasn't and now OP is mad at Princess.

Many don't accept responsibility for their own actions. For a perfect example, watch "Parking Wars" on A&E.....

That would set a very bad precedent. Then anyone' date=' at any economic strata, in any cabin on any cruise would be looking to be an "exception".

What does not go well with me is why anyone would ever risk 6000.00 and not buy cancel insurance......then complain when it's lost....

Silly.[/quote']

G'ma: I agree. And what is the family situation -- does the dog have an in-grown toe nail or is someone in the family genuinely sick? I realize that it's none of our business what the family situation is, but that phrase can have a lot of different meanings. It's time people take responisiblity for their actions and not expect to be bailed out when they make a mistake. I've never put a $6,000 deposit down on any cruise but you can bet you sweet bippie I'd get insurance no matter the cost.

This issue is about taking personal responsibility by making good choices. That much money should have been insured.

Many don't accept responsibility for their own actions. For a perfect example' date=' watch "Parking Wars" on A&E.....[/quote']

Bingo!

Take responsibility for your own actions and don't be p---ing and moaning and expecting Princess or anyone else to change the rules just for you.

Step up to the plate and be a big boy (or girl).

Mike:)

Special Rules apply as below (and is in the contract):

See the passenger contract here: http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

Section #6.

30+ day cruises, or world cruises, the cancellation date is 120 days prior. ;)

I did read all of the posts, every single one. That whay i am asking for help in understanding, no need to be harsh with me, thank you, please.

Sultan, I was only trying to help, i do not have the "same problem" as the OP, as it is not my $ and i am not is th OP's situation finacially or personally. Trying to sort it out. Forgive my ignorance. Sorry if you perceived it that way, or if you perceived that i was trynig to back up Princess rather than the OP, or vice-versa. These a trying times for all.

The cancel policy is what it is......they don't make exceptions for anyone. If they do it for one' date=' all will expect it.....[/quote']

You think but oh so wrong, please read the post below. I call this an exception. What do you base you statment on, employment in the forgiveness and care department of any cruise line:D? Some might but all won't expect it. I know I would ask but NOT expect it, so kinda wrong again:D

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I won't bother lecturing on travel insurance...it's not a help to you, I know. I will, however, tell you that in December 2002 (which is admittedly a long time ago) we faced the same situation for a different reason and Princess did step up to the plate (after involving customer service supervision). We had just made final payment 3 days earlier for the second of our B2B French Polynesia cruises on the Tahitian Princess. So we were 13 days past final payment for the first cruise, and 3 days past for the second. DH phoned me that he had just gotten word that he was being called up for the war in Iraq. We had travel insurance, but being called to military action for a war wasn't covered. Our exposure was about $6500. I immediately called Princess and, after escalating to a supervisor, we were able to cancel without penalty.

So try again. It's possible that they might forgive the cancellation penalty (is it really the full deposit amount?), or at least allow you to apply any penalty to a future cruise. Good luck.

Out of fear of being flame I won't mention my FREE cruise...lol:D

Sometimes its about being lucky because there are things insurance do not cover but companies will consider be it in 2002 or 2009.

Many don't accept responsibility for their own actions. For a perfect example' date=' watch "Parking Wars" on A&E.....[/quote']

I bet you would book your own mother for speeding too...........lol

b) Given that when I rent a car, its usually $100 or so at the most, no.

The cost to rent may by $100, but if you read the small print on the back you may find that you could be liable for thousands of dollars in some circumstances.

For example, if there is an accident and it takes 30 days to repair the car, you could be resposible for full rental charges over the 30 days that the car cannot be rented to somebody else. The rental company's insurance would cover this, but other sources of coverage usually do not as they only cover repairs.

There are set guide lines in every business dealing.Just because that is the written word does not mean that sometimes that rule cannot be broken in extenuating circumstances.

You are so on target when one considers the amount of the loss. Yes, rules are rules BUT I would nicely remind them that there is a concept of following "the letter of the law" AND also "the spirit of the law." Their penalty shouldn't be so harsh in view of the timing and deposit amount.

Would it be so terrible to allow them to pay a change fee? Geez, have a heart!!!!! :confused: I wish you luck in your endeavor.

We were booked on two segments of the Pacific Princess World cruise. Our segments began on March 14 in Sydney and April 15 in Singapore. We gave a $6,331.80 deposit in July. We were out of town this past weekend when we received a call about a family situation that will make it impossible for us to take the trip. We had lined up travel insurance through a company that we use (not Princess) and had not purchased it yet, since our final payment wasn't due until Dec. 14. I called Princess today to cancel and was told I would receive a refund, but received an email stating that they were going to keep the full deposit. We had until Nov. 15 to cancel, but didn't receive the phone call until the 16. I tried to speak to someone, but all I got was an automaton in " Customer Relations." We were on a guarantee

with no airfare...no visas were purchased and no shore excursions were posted until two weeks ago and they are incomplete. Princess is keeping $6,31.80 for putting our name on a list. If you plan to do a World Cruise, go elsewhere. There is no world cruise desk, no service, no customer relations. I was told to email my complaints to Princess Customer Relations. I told them I wanted to send a hard copy and I was given an address for Customer relations in California. I asked if I could put it to someone's attention and was told they looked at all letters....which means that my letter will get the same attention as someone complaining about the hot dog at lunch. I know many of you will say I should have purchased travel insurance at time of the booking. Princess is keeping the full amount for calling about 35-40 hours past the deadline.

First of all sorry about your problem. Rules are rules but sometimes rules are not rules. No one at the call center has authority to change the rules. You are dealing with people who are told to follow a script. Sit down and write a snail mail letter to the president of Princess. Don't threaten. Don't call people names. Write a letter explaining what happened and that you immediately called. Ask for a transfer of the credit or a refund. They do read all the letters and it takes time to answer. Writing the President assures that it will get to a senior exec who has the power to make exceptions. I do not know if they will or not. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I do know that calling mostly doesn't help. Posting here won't help and sometimes it hurts because Princess does read the boards....

write the letter you never know...the call center did give you the correct answer and advice.

Yep.....and she would expect me to.

That's the way she raised us kids.

A little compassion and kindness, though, never hurt anybody. It sounds like the OP has bigger problems than just a lost deposit. There are some truly opportunistic people who post here just to say they told you so about getting insurance. Well, it's a little too late for that and OP feels bad enough. My Mom raised me not to kick someone when they're down. Save it for another thread. Previous posts here offering positive suggestions and support are more in order.

My apologies. I misinterpreted your post. In some ways Princess itself has created this problem by making the penalty date before the full payment date for these situations. What Princess should do is also move up the full payment date for these cases to 120 days before the cruise. There would be no confusion then. As you saw from my earlier post, my view is that Princess should credit the deposit.

Sultan, I was only trying to help, i do not have the "same problem" as the OP, as it is not my $ and i am not is th OP's situation finacially or personally. Trying to sort it out. Forgive my ignorance. Sorry if you perceived it that way, or if you perceived that i was trynig to back up Princess rather than the OP, or vice-versa. These a trying times for all.

I still ask those who say Princess shoudl show compassion why I should buy insurance then.

I also find it interesting that we have not heard from the OP again

While I have a slightly different point of view on the topic. If its was me $6000 I definitely would have had insurance in place, but I can still have some compassion for someone that has made a bad timing decision and at that same time some personal event has happened. He did say he was going to purchase insurance at time of final payment.

I do agree it is very interesting where is he? What has happened? We would all love to know.

Anthony

Bad PR goes a long way. Just keep trying and don't take 'no' for an answer. Like I said, something can always be done. If they still say no then you can always make a satirical music video and put it on youtube.
Bad PR also includes thumbing your nose at those who do purchase the cruise insurance and making a mockery of it. The OPs situation is exactly the reason why most purchase insurance and if the cruiseline breaks their own policy, they risk infuriating all those who aren't procastinators and "intended" to purchase insurance. I really do feel for the OP but they took the chance and lost.

Thank you Pam. Ijust dont understand the criticism of Princess by so many here. The OP even says he/she knew the cancellation policy but didnt want to get the insurance yet.

And they haven't made any entries since the first

Archived