Fact checking the art auction.

trajan

Yup read a little about that but didnt realize the extremes that the scams went, hope it doesnt affect my stock prices in rccl, but probably a good idea for the liner to drop them, as i said before i've enjoyed the auctions but also found them a tad fishy, and my goodness if i ever see another peter max i may be ill lol, generally my thing was go to the auction watch, have eats and champs and then arrange an appointment the last evening and get them to look on the computer to see what reaasonably sized and priced "take offs" were available. I know that this was the stuff they were getting rid of to bring in more things but hey for a hundred or so bucks i get a nice picture with a frame,

p.s. on liberty at the end of august is there still an auction on board or did they ditch them entirely?

... generally my thing was go to the auction watch, have eats and champs and then arrange an appointment the last evening and get them to look on the computer to see what reaasonably sized and priced "take offs" were available. I know that this was the stuff they were getting rid of to bring in more things but hey for a hundred or so bucks i get a nice picture with a frame...

That's a good idea, especially if you drove to the port.

If there is nothing else that interests us, we may wander into the auction and observe. We purchased a picture on a cruise once that cost $110 (framed ) and we love it. This past cruise we ended up with 3 pictures...all for free. Now, they are just prints and probably aren't worth much but we do like them. We didn't buy anything. I certainly wouldn't buy investment art on a ship. Or fine jewelry for that matter.

There is an interesting article on Peter Max (a Park West favorite) in the current Vanity Fair. Also, if you google Thomas Kinkade (another Park West fave) you will find some interesting reading as well. I think Royal got all the mileage possible out of Park West.

Loved both the max and kinkade info, inho opinion both offer shmaltz to those who only shop knowing a name, the picasso of our generation lol, more like a 5th rate andy warhol (and im not a fan of his). I think ill start marketing my kindergarten aged childs work which is eerily similar to max, no word of a lie he did a man with an umbrella lol

on a more serious note however, i did want to get a couple more cheapos before the contract is totally done, and am on liberty in august of this year and then freedom in january, does anyone know if park west is still gonna be on liberty for the august cruise

were doing the oasis next summer and i understand the art options are much different which will make it harder to get a deal and i still need 2 peices for upstairs living room

gracias all and marci thanks those articles gave me a laugh and if anyone took offence im sorry but during those auctions when they bring up max or kinkade i want to heckle but then i run the risk of being thrown overboard lol

have a good day all

Loved both the max and kinkade info, inho opinion both offer shmaltz to those who only shop knowing a name, the picasso of our generation lol, more like a 5th rate andy warhol (and im not a fan of his). I think ill start marketing my kindergarten aged childs work which is eerily similar to max, no word of a lie he did a man with an umbrella lol

We live in NYC and our son-in-law is FDNY.

Strange the Vanity Fair article didn't mention that Max painted portraits of every firefighter killed on 9/11 and gave them to their families...

Strange the Vanity Fair article didn't mention all the paintings Max has donated to charitable organizations for fund raising.

The Vanity Fair article was dribble and Max deserves much credit for his charitable efforts and not the undeserved criticism you offer. BTW, your kid's art is probably much closer to Miro than Max

Alas I wasnt attempting to get into a debate on art as this is s subjective thing, however, i shall state that imho crap is crap, and there have been too many who have ridden on the coattails of those who are greater than they as is the case with the fdny thing. The actions of those heroes on that day are beyond belief and imagination and they are to be commended in the extreme for those actions. The artist, however, was not a hero and yes he, as did everyone else, give ***** to those people. At the same time, however, he made a hell of a lot of money out of those paintings and much puclic fanfare was made out of all of those donations which further brings that person into the public eye, hence increasing sales. Alas there are too many to aggrandize themselves by associating themselves with true heroes,

Again I risk offending but not in offending true heroes, only those who profit from them, so if i have given offence i am sorry, and actually Miro looks like the work of my neice lol who is 6

OK sounds good but leave me the krasnyanski's lol (art is subjective lol, most hate his stuff, I like it but then again im weird)

Deal... if....

You take his "new" style and leave the "old" style for me!:)

have st petersberg scene already and i like it but for some reason and i dont know why i like the vibrancy and weirdness of the new stuff, but then again i wont be writing any art critic books in the near future, not sure what auctions uve been to recently but the other dude i like is this felix mas guy agian quite reasonably priced but havent seen for the past 3 cruises, have u noticed any of his stuff,

have st petersberg scene already and i like it but for some reason and i dont know why i like the vibrancy and weirdness of the new stuff, but then again i wont be writing any art critic books in the near future, not sure what auctions uve been to recently but the other dude i like is this felix mas guy agian quite reasonably priced but havent seen for the past 3 cruises, have u noticed any of his stuff,

Nope, haven't seen it at all.

As New Yorkers, we also like Alexander Chen and are always looking for his framed take offs in the $100 range.

We live in NYC and our son-in-law is FDNY.

Strange the Vanity Fair article didn't mention that Max painted portraits of every firefighter killed on 9/11 and gave them to their families...

Strange the Vanity Fair article didn't mention all the paintings Max has donated to charitable organizations for fund raising.

The Vanity Fair article was dribble and Max deserves much credit for his charitable efforts and not the undeserved criticism you offer. BTW, your kid's art is probably much closer to Miro than Max

Did you actually read the whole article? He's more like a mass-marketer. His helpers silkscreen the images onto canvas and he comes by and adds some flourishes. That's what I got out of it. He does raise money for charity, but it seems like he's more interested in raising money for himself.

Yup i mean theres nothing wrong with mass marketing yourself, i am trying to market myself all the time, im just not a fan and i have no art talent, mind u my youngest does so ill see if i can get a contract thru parkwest for him lol.

the kinkade article was more interesting. deeply devout and drunk...bad mix lol.

have a great day all

i sooooooooooooooooooo need a cruise i love rci trips, and now that were diamond i will try to avoid carrying myself with a regal attitude, tho the odd freebie drink might help, and will miss the art auctions, as i never go for high priced objects i am always happy, i wonder if anyone knows if theyre going to find another company to do them because i always thought they were fun.

have a great day everyone and may u all cruise soon

Yup i mean theres nothing wrong with mass marketing yourself,

I was replying to yogimax, that is why I used the quote button.

I do think there is a problem with mass marketing one's art when the implication is that there is something of real value and relative rarity. Who wants to pay a lot for something that has 10's of thousands of copies? His prints are not 5/10 it's more like 13000/200,000. Many people don't realize this. Sure it is up to them to do due diligence but he's pushing the limits and Royal was complicit in his game by allowing Park West to use their ships as his galleries.

Have a couple of books on Dali, love a lot of his works, my favorite painting is the persistence of memory, unfortunately, Im just too poor to afford his stuff grrrrrr,

art is subjective so its probably an indication of the fact that im weird that i like his works, as a lot of it is really out there, but in looking at some of his works, the dude had a real talent

and some years back on a Carnival cruise went to a Park West auction and purchased two reproductions of original movie publicity posters. I had never seen them before and REALLY wanted them. They are framed in my family room right now. They look great....BUT

I'll never forget when I went to my local Applebee's and they had one of the same Wiz of Oz posters I purchased on the wall. The thought crossed my mind; that I spent way more than it was worth. I think I got both posters for 120 bucks; and though I never googled it; I now suspect that was a foolish purchase.

Only one I ever attended in the 20 cruises I have taken. I think I'll keep it that way.

But hey, they really look good..:)

Mitch

and some years back on a Carnival cruise went to a Park West auction and purchased two reproductions of original movie publicity posters. I had never seen them before and REALLY wanted them. They are framed in my family room right now. They look great....BUT

I'll never forget when I went to my local Applebee's and they had one of the same Wiz of Oz posters I purchased on the wall. The thought crossed my mind; that I spent way more than it was worth. I think I got both posters for 120 bucks; and though I never googled it; I now suspect that was a foolish purchase.

Only one I ever attended in the 20 cruises I have taken. I think I'll keep it that way.

But hey, they really look good..:)

Mitch

I used to work in the theatre business and we actually sold a lot of original movie posters and lobby cards. $60 is actually a pretty good price, especially if they were printed on good paper and rolled, rather than folded.

That being said, anything at Park West over 3 digits isn't worth the paper it is printed on

I used to work in the theatre business and we actually sold a lot of original movie posters and lobby cards. $60 is actually a pretty good price, especially if they were printed on good paper and rolled, rather than folded.

That being said, anything at Park West over 3 digits isn't worth the paper it is printed on

Yep...they were rolled; and they really look great. But still won't do a cruise auction again.

RCI is dropping them. Good riddance. :mad:

The only reason is that RCCL thinks they can make more $ with someone else.

How about complaining about the bingo rip-off? Look at how much they take in and how much they pay back...

$500 prize when they take in thousands in sales,

The only reason is that RCCL thinks they can make more $ with someone else.

How about complaining about the bingo rip-off? Look at how much they take in and how much they pay back...

$500 prize when they take in thousands in sales,

If you started a bingo thread I'm sure you'd get lots of comments. And how about having to split that $500 prize with two other people :rolleyes:

Archived