Booking With US Sites & US TA's

LuckiePuris

Yes Jilly,you are spot on! We have never had to lie about any of our details and we wouldn't.

I get the feeling that we have some Aussie TA's who use this site for their professional purposes instead of using it as we do for recreational information which we share with others.

Well said Liz and Jilly you are both spot on.......;)

but it's not just the travel agencies who are trying to control what, where and how we buy..... Gerry (get as much free advertising as you can) Harvey aka Harvey Norman is whingeing because we supposedly are buying more and more electrical products etc online and HE wants it looked into....WHAT NEXT!!!......

I put forth to the whinging travel agencies etc to fess up and disclose exactly what percentage of the market they have lost to online buyers... bet it never happens...........

i for one won't be controlled so:

cartoon-ghost.gif

Liz will you and Lloyd be joining us on the Diamond Princess next November.....????

Liz will you and Lloyd be joining us on the Diamond Princess next November.....????

I have been trying to talk Lloyd into booking but he would prefer to see some different ports. Even when we travel in the caravan we like to go to different places. I also see that it is much more expense than last years cruise. We will get over the Sth American cruise then I will look at it again.

I have been trying to talk Lloyd into booking but he would prefer to see some different ports. Even when we travel in the caravan we like to go to different places. I also see that it is much more expense than last years cruise. We will get over the Sth American cruise then I will look at it again.

but but but lloyd we begin in a different port and have 2 new stops..:D:D:DWe are paying double what we paid last year but saving over $1200 by cancelling our Ocean Princess cruise which was doing almost the same itinerary a little earlier in the month.....think the cheapy cheapy fares we paid were more a result of the global financial times and seeing things have improved can't see it happening again too soon...but we can live in hope... cheers Shiona

At the end of the day, Aussie t/a's are not getting US prices and therefore in an attempt to protect their industry are using this tactic 'You may be refused boarding..etc.' No doubt prompted by the cruise company.

I blame the cruise companies, not our t/a's.

Dougo in oz - I use Dargal. As I said in an earlier post, I've never had a problem, but more recently, I know of people who have. I know of a few others in the US and one in Australia but I dare not mention it for fear of being branded an Interline Travel Agent in disguise. ooooohhhhh. :eek:

Kenexx - Do you use the aforementioned website? Or something better, please share!:D

Badgerbill - You said my statement was dodgey and I made the statement!! Oh gee, how could I not take that as an insult? What I find even more insulting is that you now imply that I am a travel agent. Please, let commonsense prevail and read my log in name. I fly Boeing 737's for a living, but If I decide to exchange my view of the world at 35,000ft for a cubicle in an Interline Travel agency, I'll be sure to flick you some cheap cruises! I can see the appeal though, I could spend my first Christmas with my family in 12 years. Peace be with you.:)

Everyone - Obviously there are people having trouble booking in the US or there wouldn't be 42 pages of discussion on the topic. If you know of a good US site or agent for booking, please share. We are getting ripped of in Australia. Do you think an Australian agent could get me a suite on the Eurodam for 7 nights for $770pp? I'm paying that for an outside cabin on a 3 day cruise in Australia.:confused:

Why would anyone need to use a bogus address when booking with a US T/A. No matter who you book your cruise through one of the first things you provide with your deposit for your cruise is your Loyalty number for the cruise line, that number is attached to your address and personal details. So obviously both the T/A and the cruiseline know your address from the beginning..

I rest my case..... this is all about Australian T/A's trying to scare the public because they know they are loosing their customers to the better overseas T/A's.

Jillybean:)

Hi Jillybean,

You've given me great advice before...so I am back again!

ok I wanted to see first hand what all this fuss is about ,so decided to make some enquiries myself. I sent off my email to a well known US online T/A to get a quote on Radiance of the Seas departing 3rd Jan 2012 from Sydney 12 nights around the South Pacific for 4 of us (2x adults 2x teenagers) in a Grand Suite.

They have come back with a price of $12,366 AUS compared to Aussie T/A $14,100 Aus-not including gratuities in either quote. That's a saving of $1700 which could be our spending money! When I asked if they were allowed to take bookings from Australia the reply I got was

"Yes, we can book you, as long as we do it online,as we have a "special" agreement with them that most agencies do not"

They also said that if I book a cabin with a deposit and the rates go down during that time and final payment all I have to do is keep an eye on the pricing and email her. She will then call the cruise line to see if the category I booked has dropped. If so they will change the rate on the spot.

Sounds too good.:rolleyes:.....which is making me nervous! Should I go for it?Would I be able to get travel insurance in Australia if the booking is made in US? Appreciate your help! Donna

Do you think an Australian agent could get me a suite on the Eurodam for 7 nights for $770pp? I'm paying that for an outside cabin on a 3 day cruise in Australia.:confused:

To be fair though, the Eurodam was both:

1) closer to the GFC - prices were lower then

2) in the Caribbean, which was the worst hit of the US markets with an oversupply, and weakened demand given how much Florida had been hit.

And the 3 day local cruise is a Food and wine cruise, with extra food/activities onboard. Again, to compare fairly, equivalent special event cruises are also much more expensive in the US.

To draw an analogy on the first two points closer to your industry, it's like how flights to the US used to be $2000 return a couple of years back, and now thanks to a massive increase in supply and more weakened demand go under $1000 periodically. Dollar for distance, it's probably the cheapest general destination out of Australia. They're not expected to stay like that long term though.

Hi Jillybean,

You've given me great advice before...so I am back again!

ok I

Sounds too good.:rolleyes:.....which is making me nervous! Should I go for it?Would I be able to get travel insurance in Australia if the booking is made in US? Appreciate your help! Donna

Go for it. Your booking is ultimatley held by the line not by the agent. You can sign on to RCL cruise personalizer to update your booking details, book shore excursions etc.as soon as you pay your deposit. You can of course, pay in full if you want to guarantee the exchange rate. I am sure that the Insurers would have no problems with that at all. I have and am using a few different US agencies for my RCL cruises- no problems and big savings. Jennie

Go for it. Your booking is ultimatley held by the line not by the agent. You can sign on to RCL cruise personalizer to update your booking details, book shore excursions etc.as soon as you pay your deposit. You can of course, pay in full if you want to guarantee the exchange rate. I am sure that the Insurers would have no problems with that at all. I have and am using a few different US agencies for my RCL cruises- no problems and big savings. Jennie

Thanks Jennie,

Do you insure through an Aussie company?

Donna

Folks,

An interesting thread....Without wishing to offend though, I am wondering if quoting deals available through 'Interline' agents is really fair, afterall they are fares that are available to travel industy employees only. It would be like quoting the Qantas staff fares of 10% of the customer fare, these are not available to the rest of us and are in no way comparable to what us mere mortals have to pay.

Here's a response from a US Agent I just emailed

"Yes you are correct. Some of the cruiselines are starting to implement new policies with US travel agencies (all US agencies, not just *****name deleted) that unless our overseas clients can provide us with a North American address we are no longer allowed to book you. The cruiselines are trying to push their clients to book within their own regions.

Holland America, Princess, Cunard, Oceania and Star Clipper are those who are implementing this new policy at this time.

Please know that ACTA and owners of many companies in the US are fighting this new policy and we hope to have it changed back but at this time this is the procedure we have to follow.

Please know that it is by no means a *****(name deleted) policy and this is something that is affecting our industry in a very big way."

I understand the questioning of Travel Industry employees getting such a reduced fare, however there are many downsides to it as well. Really though, it's not much difference to a bank employee getting reduced home loan rates (they are very close to the cash rate), or Supermarket staff getting discounts on groceries. Most jobs have some kind of 'perk' attached to them. Then there is 'seniors' rates, health care cards..... the list goes on.

Airline employees do not pay 10% of a passenger fare. It is a set price regardless of ticket price fluctuation. I have on occasion paid for a passenger ticket on an unbelievable sale just to have a confirmed seat. Picture this .."You are heading off on a cruise out of the USA, you turn up to the airport and they say "Sorry, there are seats for you, but due to excess cargo being carried, we can't let you on. Try tomorrow." I have many colleagues who refuse to use Staff Travel for their holidays and happily pay full fare. When things go your way it's nice, but more times than not, things go pear shaped. I once flew from LA to New York to London to Singapore to Melbourne just to get home.

The cheap cruise thing is nice, it's getting there that's the issue. But cruise lines are happy to fill their 'spare cabins' with people from the industry in the hope that we recommend them to the travelling public. When you get an interline cabin, it's only what they have left over.

I'm heading off an a cruise tomorrow. The cruise was sold out so I went on a wait list and paid full fare. $750pp for 3 nights. Yes it's expensive, but I wanted to take Mum on a cruise for Christmas, she is worth it, a millions times over plus interest!:D

Good post flygirlb737. The policy of 'no sell to non North Americans' has been with us for a while now. I might be stupid but I like to protect the Australian Travel Industry.

I fly Qantas, I book with Australian T/A's, mostly on line.

As I have said before..don't blame the Australian travel industry for these policies, blame the cruise lines.

Here's a response from a US Agent I just emailed

I understand the questioning of Travel Industry employees getting such a reduced fare, however there are many downsides to it as well. Really though, it's not much difference to a bank employee getting reduced home loan rates (they are very close to the cash rate),

Airline employees do not pay 10% of a passenger fare. It is a set price regardless of ticket price fluctuation.

Hi,

Sorry to disillusion you regarding cheap interest rates for Bank Employees, that is really a thing of the past....I am a senior manager with a big 4 Bank and a 29-year employee, the FBT rules have really stopped the discount rates, what you take up in discount you give up through reduced pay.

With regards the fares that are paid, perhaps you can give an example of what would be payable for a Business Class flight to the states as a 10 year plus Qantas employee?? I acknowledge the restriction issue though.

Hi

Yes. I would only ever use an Aussie company. I book my cruises with US agencies usually 1 or 2 years in advance to get the best rates but as I can cancel with no penalty I don't buy insurance until I start booking up non refundable stuff- air fares, etc Jennie

Thanks Jennie,

Do you insure through an Aussie company?

Donna

P&O Australia give cheap cruises to there employees and with out and pay cuts and that is a fact. They can get one cruise per year and somes times two per year. and thats a fact.

As for air lines staff they do get cheaper air fares and that again is a fact.

There are a lots of companys that have these cheaper fares for staff and Ta's do get offered cheaper and some times flights and cruises and hollidays and this happens all over the world.

If any one thinks that a us agent or any Ta is going to publicly admit that they get free or cheaper flights, cruises, hollidays from the companys they are saleing it for then I would say ............ and I can say that sorry.

an email i got today well one of mant from Ta's around the world

Fly from Australia to Singapore and enjoy 7 night cruise aboard 4-star Legend of the Seas visiting Semarang & Bali from $2,189* twin share per person including 3-night Singapore stay PLUS all taxes and transfers.

BALI BINGTANG & SINGAPORE SLINGS package includes:

- Return economy airfare from Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne to Singapore

- 7 night cruise aboard 4-star Legend of the Seas

- 3 night Singapore stay including hot breakfast

- ALL transfers throughout

- All meals & entertainment onboard ship

- All port charges and taxes

- Prepaid ships gratuities

- Air taxes of $253*

AIR TAXES are included from $253*pp (ex. Sydney) and subject to change until time of booking. Air add-ons ex Ool $200, ex Adl/Hba $300, ex Per $600 + taxes. Air add-ons from all other Australian gate-way cities are available on request. Schedules and prices based on Sydney departure, other cities may vary in price and duration on a case by case basis. Package is based on special fare and subject to availability at the time of booking.

I also work for an airline, and yes do take advantage of the interline rates.

When travelling with other airlines, what I am finding recently it is cheaper to buy a full fare and travel confirm. (If we travel on interline rates it is standby and you may get on the flight or you may not.) I have also cruised Alaska and the Caribean through the interline rates and again it is last minute bookings where the cheaper fare are. If I wanted to book a cruise now for next seasons Alaska cruises, then yes it would be normal fare, but if I wait till closer to the time it maybe cheaper depending on availability.

Would I be able to get travel insurance in Australia if the booking is made in US? Appreciate your help! Donna

Donna, I booked our Jan 2011 cruise through a US T/A and bought our Travel Insurance here in Australia. At no time when I bought our insurance was I asked in which country I purchased the cruise - I think the insurers are more interested in starting and ending your trip in Australia regardless of what you do in between.

Archived