Booking With US Sites & US TA's

LuckiePuris

I do not purchase cruises from US t/a's. I will not get into that arguement. BUT in light of the Courier mail article, is anybody from OZ who purchased a cruise through a US T/A worried about being refused boarding? Or has anybody ever been refused boarding because of booking through US T/A?

Yes we have purchased through reputable overseas T/A's on several occasions, and we have never ever been denied boarding.

Why would we.....our documentation is always correct, we have paid in full for our cruise and filled in the cruiselines documentation details which have been accepted by them.

What a load of "codswallop" reporting in the article that we could be denied boarding......

The Australian T/A's better wake up and realise it is a sign of the times that people now have choices as to whom they book with and how they book their cruises/holidays, so stop trying to use these scaremonger tactics.

T/A's out there who are behind this 'carry on'...... you should be ashamed of yourselves.... makes you wonder if your'e worth trusting to look after anyones booking in the first place.....:mad::mad:...

Gee it makes mad.......:mad:

Jillybean:)....ah that's better

Oh Dear. Here we go again!!!!!

We have never been denied boarding after purchasing thro OS TA'S.

Sounds like a load of rubbish once more.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've always booked through a US TA, both with Princess and Celebrity, and have never been refused boarding.

As late as May this year I boarded the Crown Princess in Venice no problems after having bought my ticket from a large US on line company. Admittedly I did book a year in advance, so may have been lucky to get accepted by them as a customer. The original booking showed my address as their office address. I was able to change it to my Australian address with no repercussions.

As for pricing of cruises out of Australia, I have found that the same US company does not compare favourably with our local on line companies. In fact they seem considerably dearer - so our US friends pay more than we do if buying in the US for our local cruises.

According to a source 'Cruise Week' Princess will no longer pay North American travel agents commissions on cruises sold to non American citizens.

Work that one out. My interpretation is ..in other words...to US agents 'if you book non americans you will not make any money.' Strong words indeed.

There is a conspiracy going on.

According to a source 'Cruise Week' Princess will no longer pay North American travel agents commissions on cruises sold to non American citizens. Work that one out. My interpretation is ..in other words...to US agents 'if you book non americans you will not make any money.' Strong words indeed.There is a conspiracy going on.

So if we wanted to go to Florida and rent a condo for say 3 months , they would not sell us a cruise.?:eek:

Kiwi Kruzer..David, I think Aussies and Kiwis need the truth straight from CEO of Carnival Ms Anne Sherry, nothing less.

No doubt Carnival is trying to protect the Australian/NZ travel industry. I know some 3 years ago there was a big cruise conference in the USA, and Aussie t/a's attending voiced their concerns over Aussies booking with US t/a's at lower prices than the cruise lines were offering here, thus impacting on cruise business amongst Aussie t/a's. I think that started it all rolling to where we are today.

At the end of the day it is the Cruise Lines causing the dissent by not giving us the same deals as they give their main market base. I know a couple of years ago I contacted Carnival HQ in USA and got some mumbo jumbo about the lowest cruise prices being offered to the main cruise market, yes the USA. It is not right !

I think if ever anyone had been denied boarding you would have heard about it here...

For the price they charge for cruises in the states I would happily pay the agents commission personally and have no doubt I would still be way in front! Its not just the price of the cruise although that is obviously important, its the ability to change names on a booking (ie substitute someone if one of your booking cant go) price drops, lower deposits, flexible cancellation policies in fact a whole raft of benefits not available to cruisers booking through aussie agents.

Australian cruisers are not naive it is time we were given a fair go..so that we don't pay a penalty for supporting our local agents.

No doubt Carnival is trying to protect the Australian/NZ travel industry. I know some 3 years ago there was a big cruise conference in the USA, and Aussie t/a's attending voiced their concerns over Aussies booking with US t/a's at lower prices than the cruise lines were offering here, thus impacting on cruise business amongst Aussie t/a's. I think that started it all rolling to where we are today.

Same thing as Gerry Harvey is doing.

As for the newspaper article, it has the same lack of research and quality as other News Limited pieces. It just sells on sensationalism, not facts. It's easy to invent some bogey monster or find a 'human interest story' about someone claiming to be ripped off, even better if it can be made into an us vs them story ... far easier than actually doing some proper research.

It's easy to invent some bogey monster or find a 'human interest story' about someone claiming to be ripped off, even better if it can be made into an us vs them story ... far easier than actually doing some proper research.

I agree with you here Big M and Rugbypopsie and NSWP too. I'd be surprised if the journalist or the people mentioned in the story have seen a Contract of Passage document or the document issued by cruise lines to TAs when you've paid the deposit. If they had, then they would realise that there is nothing on the contract to say that non-US citizens may be denied boarding on the basis of where they bought their ticket.

I think it is scaremongering and the agencies mentioned in the article speaks volumes in itself !

I do intend to board a Princess ship in January with my US purchased fare and also in April 2012. I know that my US T/A was paid a commission for our January cruise as it says so on the paperwork.

I have booked my last two cruises through a Canadian based TA, recommended by CC incidentally, at those low US prices. I have queried the so called restrictions with the TA on Overseas and specifically Australian customers and have been told they have not received any instructions from Princess Cruises regarding not to sell to them or that boarding will be disallowed if Australians book with overseas TAs. Incidently, the prices have definitely risen with the discontinuation of the compulsory tipping.

Johndon

This whole issue is obviously a huge can of worms.

I think the key issue to ask yourself if you are going to book using an overseas travel agent is how safe are the funds that you pay over - agree this does not apply to direct bookings with cruise lines, but can you be certain that the funds that you pay to the Travel Agent are remitted? If not, what recourse do you have?

Some 20-odd years ago a cruise company attampted to establish itself operating 7-night cruises with a vessel called Scandic Star, the operating cokmpany took deposits of a great many people and then used the funds to do some of the refit work on the ship, they ultimately folded and as a result of what became known as the 'Scandic Scandal" restrictions were put in place to restrict what Travel Agents could do with funds held on behalf of customers. Within Australia there are also obligation agreements for carriers to take passengers where a licensed travel agent has issued a ticket, even if the carrier has not received payment from the Agent.

Personally I would like to deal with someone that I can speak to personally, face to face, that is under the legislation of the country in which I live and where I know that there are appropriate safeguards in place to protect my money.

That is just my thoughts, however I know that there are many people who would prefer to risk their money to save a small amount. One other factor, if you are using an American travel agent you will ultimately pay in US dollars. This is ok at the moment, however what will the exchange rate be when you pay the final amount in 2-, 3-,6- 12- months time, may not be in your favour.

As for the newspaper article, it has the same lack of research and quality as other News Limited pieces. It just sells on sensationalism, not facts. It's easy to invent some bogey monster or find a 'human interest story' about someone claiming to be ripped off, even better if it can be made into an us vs them story ... far easier than actually doing some proper research.

Well said The_Big_M ..... :)

Some companies are more strict than others. I use an 'interline' site in the states for industry discount on my cruises. Lately HAL have been not allowing non us residents to book through them. I also heard Princess was doing the same. I last cruised out of the states 12 months ago and no such problem and have cruised with RCCL, HAL and CCL in the USA.

The big US cruise agent sites still list amongst others, cruises from Princess, Cunard, HAL, Costa as not being able to be sold to non US/Candaian residents. The sites say it is not their policy but the cruiselines. I believe it.

All about protecting Australian Travel Agents. Let's face it, Aussies T/A's have to go through Carnival Australia.

Well said.... this trash was given a whole page spread in the Courier Mail and is brought up once a year without fail......boring:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We buy our overseas cruises, and we don't EVER give fictitious address's, from whatever company worldwide not only gives us the best price but also has the fairest terms and conditions...the inhouse cancellation fee's a lot of Australian agencies have are nothing short of thieving and warrant investigation....

I don't only buy cruises from oversea's agencies i also buy hotel accommodation ,airfares, daytrips etc etc too...hmmmmmm guess you will be wanting to put a stop to that next...........cheers Shiona

Australian Travel Agents here won't even honour HAL's refund policies.

Believe me, after next year I will be moving away from the Carnival Group because of their restrictions on us us buying their cruises from US T/a's. Sydney Harbour ferries are not owned by Carnival yet are they?

BUT I must say, our Star Princess South American cruise next year was cheaper to purchase with a large Aussie t/a then US ones, work that out!

I think the key issue to ask yourself if you are going to book using an overseas travel agent is how safe are the funds that you pay over - agree this does not apply to direct bookings with cruise lines, but can you be certain that the funds that you pay to the Travel Agent are remitted? If not, what recourse do you have?

The TA I use contacts the cruise line and they take the funds directly from my CC. My understanding is that if the cruise line goes belly up then the CC company will re-imburse me.

The other thing the Aus T/A's are saying is that if you book your cruise through an overseas Agent you will not get your loyalty credit for that cruise with that cruiseline.

We've never had this problem.... have you?

Jillybean:)

I'll let you know next year...I'm not anticipating any problems.

Some companies are more strict than others. I use an 'interline' site in the states for industry discount on my cruises.

What is an "interline" site please?

BUT I must say, our Star Princess South American cruise next year was cheaper to purchase with a large Aussie t/a then US ones, work that out!

You did get a good deal, but then again so did we. The main difference for us being that we booked within the first day or two of the bookings being opened up in the US - some 18 months + ahead of the cruise and at least a couple of months earlier than other parts of the world.

The TA I use contacts the cruise line and they take the funds directly from my CC. My understanding is that if the cruise line goes belly up then the CC company will re-imburse me.

That was also a big plus with the agencies we use..... time they get rid of the antiquated trust account system here.

What is an "interline" site please?

Think it is discounted travel for the industry's employee's

cheers Shiona

Just give us one international price for cruises and include the autotip and we would be happy and content little cruisers. But I doubt it will ever happen. The Cruise Lines want to attract their mass market - North Americans.

For those concerned that US agents do not have the same insurance protection that we have in Australia its easy... book using a FCC (for Princess) letter you have not risked anything, your travel insurance should cover everything else in the event that something goes seriously wrong and in any case as soon as your booking is made it shows up on the cruiseline's official site.

You sound as cynical as I, The Big M. The older I get, the fewer sources of information etc I trust...........And 'fair play' is a long-lost attribute!

This whole issue is obviously a huge can of worms.

Personally I would like to deal with someone that I can speak to personally, face to face, that is under the legislation of the country in which I live and where I know that there are appropriate safeguards in place to protect my money.

That is just my thoughts, however I know that there are many people who would prefer to risk their money to save a small amount. One other factor, if you are using an American travel agent you will ultimately pay in US dollars. This is ok at the moment, however what will the exchange rate be when you pay the final amount in 2-, 3-,6- 12- months time, may not be in your favour.

If the US TA's are not safe, then why do the Americans book with them? From my understanding about a lot of them, the money is paid directly to the cruise company. I am sick of everybody trying to scare Australians from seeking out a better deal. The Australian Travel Industry needs to pick up its act. And believe me our travel agents aren't perfect, they make mistakes. From a lot of past experience they book you on the first flight they come across, don't want to look at the options. All I can say is thank goodness for the internet, as Travel Agents in general are becoming a thing of the past.

Archived