Booking With US Sites & US TA's

LuckiePuris

Sorry no all up including taxes and port charges it will cost us $1511.50 each.

I think you mean US$1611.50, as per my post above - converts to ~AUD1,920.

Celebrity are charging $112.61 on top of the cabin cost. You'd said base cost was $1499 before - I've never seen taxes of $12.50 on a cruise as long as 14 days.

Incidentally, the price for balconies on that cruise is now up $200/person to a minimum of $1811.61 = AUD2,157.00, so looks like you caught that special at the right time.

• Princess are currently advertising in our weekend press (? name of ship) -

I thought a more comparable one given it's in November and Princess were the one compared to were the Sun Princess 26 October 12 nights at $1591 (I), $1917 (O) and $2589 (B), and also with $200 OBC.

As said above, Florida's cheaper in general, but there's no surprise there as it has much competition and volume and as mentioned the two new ships alone add capacity equal to the entire Australian market. Moreover, with all that, prices collapsed the most there (understandably) due to the GFC which the US is behind in recovery compared to us.

It's not demonstrative or evidence that the US is always cheaper. Even at the same time, with the same line, you could look at the NE which isn't as cheap thanks to the high incomes of New York - which is a relatively fairer income to sailings out of Sydney - and the Oct 9 14nt sailing of the Summit. Prices are US$1667.33 (I) = ~AU1,985, US$1,967.83 = AU$2,343 (O), US$2,567.83 = AU$3,057. (All prices are per person.)

Compare those two cruises AU vs US, and the evidence is that Australia is cheaper than the US!

All those US cruises also have much more expensive suites, which are much more uncommon here. However, thanks to the much higher number of balconies and suites that those ships have, the total revenue they earn is much higher than ships locally.

It all balances out. It would not be as viable for them to deploy ships here like that, as it would not make as much money - witness the abrupt termination of the Millennium here.

I thought a more comparable one given it's in November and Princess were the one compared to were the Sun Princess 26 October 12 nights at $1591 (I), $1917 (O) and $2589 (B), and also with $200 OBC.

I'd be the first to admit I'm not an expert on Princess prices, so I just took the lead in prices from this weekend's full page advertisement.

However, I do know a bargain, when I see one, and Eileen got a good deal on an interesting itinerary, during a holiday period.

The question is, "Would she have got a similiar deal here for the same cruise?"

I think you mean US$1611.50, as per my post above - converts to ~AUD1,920.

Celebrity are charging $112.61 on top of the cabin cost. You'd said base cost was $1499 before - I've never seen taxes of $12.50 on a cruise as long as 14 days.

Incidentally, the price for balconies on that cruise is now up $200/person to a minimum of $1811.61 = AUD2,157.00, so looks like you caught that special at the right time.

I believe I said US$ in my first post regarding the prices!

I said total cost to us is $1151.50 because we are getting an OBC of $200 per cabin.

I think everyone realises that when you book on overseas cruise it will be in US$ and I didn't try to hide that fact. You seem to take delight in being perdantic about the exchange rate and the fact it could rise and fall at any time. We understand this fact and we take it into consideration when we book, but it doesn't frighten us off booking overseas.

It is still a great price even if the aussie $ drops more. I am confident it will come back up again (now of course you will tell me all the doom and gloom about why that won't happen) But - if it doesn't it will still be a wonderful cruise even if it costs a little bit more.

Reminder from our guidelines:

"...This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information..."

Reminder from our guidelines:

"...This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information..."

woops, sorry!:o

I said total cost to us is $1151.50 because we are getting an OBC of $200 per cabin.

(Re 1511.50) That's not the most clear. You still need to pay the US$1611.50' date=' and the OBC is a credit from later spending. It doesn’t reduce the cruise cost. Similarly in the comparison I used for the Princess cruise I pointed out that the OBC is additional, and didn’t try to reduce the headline cost. It is a bonus for the deal, but doesn’t reduce the cruise cost.[/font']

You seem to take delight in being perdantic about the exchange rate and the fact it could rise and fall at any time.

Not at all. I’ve said nothing good or bad about the rate' date=' and used the latest one for conversion, so not sure why you made that claim. My point is to make a fair comparison. You don’t compare apples with oranges. I’ve converted into AUD so that people can see what that amount is, in comparison to the local cruises being compared against, as you referred to Princess locally. Similarly, I added in the taxes, to make pricing comparable with what you find in local prices. As stated before, gratuities were disregarded as they apply extra in both cases.[/font']

(Re 1511.50) That's not the most clear. You still need to pay the US$1611.50, and the OBC is a credit from later spending. It doesn’t reduce the cruise cost. Similarly in the comparison I used for the Princess cruise I pointed out that the OBC is additional, and didn’t try to reduce the headline cost. It is a bonus for the deal, but doesn’t reduce the cruise cost.

Not at all. I’ve said nothing good or bad about the rate, and used the latest one for conversion, so not sure why you made that claim. My point is to make a fair comparison. You don’t compare apples with oranges. I’ve converted into AUD so that people can see what that amount is, in comparison to the local cruises being compared against, as you referred to Princess locally. Similarly, I added in the taxes, to make pricing comparable with what you find in local prices. As stated before, gratuities were disregarded as they apply extra in both cases.

And I am sorry, I called it OBC which in actual fact, it is not. This is a credit from Celebrity and it will be credited to our CC after final payment but before the cruise. So technically it is not OBC but a credit on the cruise price, thus making it $1511.50 each for the cruise in US dollars.

Now, we won't know how much the cruise will be costing in Aussie $ until we decide to pay for it in full. Hopefully the Aussie $ will go up a little more between now and September 1 and if it does we will pay for it early. If it doesn't - well that is the gamble we all take when we book with overseas TA's and I am quite willing to take that gamble as it is still a lot cheaper than booking in Australia. If the AU$ drops to 35c we will cancel the cruise and get our deposit back, something we can't do with Aussie TA's :D

We are Aussie and had this problem a couple of weeks ago, but ended up paying the Australia fare for a Diamond Princess cruise. I then decided to write to Princess Customer Relations re how much extra we are charged and not offered special bonuses etc. I sent a email to where I hoped would be Princess main office. BUT no reply, and now 10 days past. Would anyone know of a address I could mail the complaint to.

I hope other cruisers will also write, I am sure if a lot of letters were received then they may consider lifting the ban for non US/Canadians booking.

Gwenicon4.gif

We are Aussie and had this problem a couple of weeks ago, but ended up paying the Australia fare for a Diamond Princess cruise. I then decided to write to Princess Customer Relations re how much extra we are charged and not offered special bonuses etc. I sent a email to where I hoped would be Princess main office. BUT no reply, and now 10 days past. Would anyone know of a address I could mail the complaint to.

Their Australian address is:

(physical)

Princess Cruises

15 Mount Street,

North Sydney, NSW 2060

Postal:

Princess Cruises

PO Box 2006,

North Sydney NSW 2059

You could also use the US address:

Princess Cruises

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Note: Turnaround from the Australian office is usually very long.

I hope other cruisers will also write, I am sure if a lot of letters were received then they may consider lifting the ban for non US/Canadians booking.

Gwenicon4.gif

by the way, this is not a new policy from Princess- it has been in place for around 4 years at least (although obviously it isn't fool-proof as many of us can still book Princess cruises overseas)

good luck and I hope you get a reply from them at least

• 4 months later...

I think one of the reasons for the difference in cruise prices, Aus v US is that the cruise lines are not adjusting their prices in line with the value of the US dollar. Should be just about equal at the moment but cruise prices do not reflect this.

Although I must say, our Star Princess cruise around South America was cheaper with an Aussie on line cruise agent than it was with a couple of the big US on line t/a's.

Also booking direct with HAL for our Westerdam cruise was the same price as the big US cruise agents on line and a little less than the Aussie t/a's. We will also get any price reductions, well so we are told, mmm, wait and see on that one.

At the end of the day, call me silly, but we must protect the Australian t/a's to an extent, not their fault the cruise lines are not giving our t/a's bottom line prices, although things have improved. I will not book with any US t/a, patriotic I may be.

Although I must say, our Star Princess cruise around South America was cheaper with an Aussie on line cruise agent than it was with a couple of the big US on line t/a's.quote]

Les,

We're on the Star Princess in January '11 and we're really looking forward to it - not the rough weather tho' which I hear in those waters, can be smooth sailing on one cruise and like a washing machine on the next.

May I ask how much you paid all up for your cabin and what type of cabin - inside / outside / balcony / midships, etc ?

Although I must say, our Star Princess cruise around South America was cheaper with an Aussie on line cruise agent than it was with a couple of the big US on line t/a's.quote]

Les,

We're on the Star Princess in January '11 and we're really looking forward to it - not the rough weather tho' which I hear in those waters, can be smooth sailing on one cruise and like a washing machine on the next.

May I ask how much you paid all up for your cabin and what type of cabin - inside / outside / balcony / midships, etc ?

Dougo, we paid $3500 inc taxes for the 29 dayer through a large WA on line T/A. That was for Cabin E210, clearview through the lifeboats.

Dougo, we paid $3500 inc taxes for the 29 dayer through a large WA on line T/A. That was for Cabin E210, clearview through the lifeboats.

Les

that's a good price for 29 days no matter where you're going.

I was thinking you were going to Antarctica until I looked at your itinerary and then saw it was a repositioning cruise - it's a great itinerary. Are you staying on in the States when you disembark?

We're booked on the DP with our US TA for 35 days - Singapore to Vancouver in April 12 for the same price as you I think, ocean view cabin.

I think that once you have booked your cruise weather with US ta or not the price you get at the time of booking should not change but thats me and what I think. I do know a lot of you will disagree. the way I see it is a deal is deal and they should not be able to change it.

Les

that's a good price for 29 days no matter where you're going.

I was thinking you were going to Antarctica until I looked at your itinerary and then saw it was a repositioning cruise - it's a great itinerary. Are you staying on in the States when you disembark?

We're booked on the DP with our US TA for 35 days - Singapore to Vancouver in April 12 for the same price as you I think, ocean view cabin.

Doug, as per my signature..4 days in Santiago then embark Star Princess around South America, Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale. One night in Fort Lauderdale then doing Westerdam in Carib, then fly to Quebec City, 4 days, then train to Toronto - 5 days, Niagra Falls etc, then fly to San Francisco 7 days, then fly home. away 2 and a half months. An adventure as is yours. As you said SKI !

Doug, as per my signature..4 days in Santiago then embark Star Princess around South America, Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale. One night in Fort Lauderdale then doing Westerdam in Carib, then fly to Quebec City, 4 days, then train to Toronto - 5 days, Niagra Falls etc, then fly to San Francisco 7 days, then fly home. away 2 and a half months. An adventure as is yours. As you said SKI !

What a great trip Les. I hope you have fun being a SKI !!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an article published in the Brisbane Courier Mail about travellers purchasing cruises from overseas agents and how the cruise lines are going to deny these passengers boarding.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/money/money-matters/holidaymakers-who-buy-discount-cruise-tickets-online-may-be-denied-entry-says-accc/story-fn3hskur-1225961671477

Here is an article published in the Brisbane Courier Mail about travellers purchasing cruises from overseas agents and how the cruise lines are going to deny these passengers boarding.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/money/money-matters/holidaymakers-who-buy-discount-cruise-tickets-online-may-be-denied-entry-says-accc/story-fn3hskur-1225961671477

i noticed a price on the Radience from Sydney next October going around OZ with a well known US online site and it was $600 dearer than our aussie online sites

rkmw

I do not purchase cruises from US t/a's. I will not get into that arguement. BUT in light of the Courier mail article, is anybody from OZ who purchased a cruise through a US T/A worried about being refused boarding? Or has anybody ever been refused boarding because of booking through US T/A?

Archived