Greek Isles--HELP NEEDED

Joyce B.

I've done them, and would be happy to share some advice but you need to be mores specific with the exact Princess cruise names. Also, have you ever cruised the Med? Every been to Italy or Turkey? That would be helpful to know.

IMHO - all of these are great, port intensive, cruises.

I have done both over the years and both are great-if memory serves me, one goes to Istanbul and the other does not? Also I think one does Dubrovnik, and the other does not? We more recently did the one called Greek Isles, and loved it. There is a good variety of ports and they are very walkable and most very close to where the ship docks.

I'm not sure what the comparative itineraries are, but my wife and I cruised the Mediterranean last summer on Celebrity's Solstice. We stopped at Mykenos, Rhodes, and Santorini and all were beautiful beyond description, particularly Santorini. Other stops were Ephesus, Turkey (Virgin Mary's house), Athens, Capri, Rome. The Greek isles were our favorite by far so I'd concentrate on those if you have a choice. We'd go again in a heartbeat. Enjoy:)

The problem with the Greek Islands for me, at least, is finding a cruise that stops at the ones I want my wife to see. Crete, Rhodes, Santorini, Patmos, Kasadasi. We don't need istanbul as we're frequent visitors there. I did them as a single man on an old rust bucket of a Greek ship years ago, but now I can't find any line that stops at all of them. Crete seems to have dropped off the map. Maybe I need to look harder.

Bosox I. Last Sept. Oceania's Nautica Istanbul to Athens cruise went to Crete. It truly was a wonderful experience. We docked in Aghios Nikolaos (Greek for St. Nicolas) a beautiful little town and took an amazing shore excursion to the Palace of Knossos that was a thriving royal city/state 3,500 years before Christ. This cruise also went to Mykenos, Santorini, Delos, Kadisia (Ephesus), Dbrovnick (Crotia), Olympia and several others. The most wonderful of trips. The small ship (old R ship) meant the docking was close in and the impact of only 625 people landing was very little. A great trip.

OP we thought the Greek Isles just wonderful. Each island that we visited was unique. They are not all the white washed buildings that I thought of for Greece. Each has it's own beauty. 13 days and only one sea day! I can't wait to go back. Go to Greece or Greece and Turkey. So much to see and do.

Based on our trip in September, I would make sure that Santorni is included in your choice. Our favorite stop and we just took a public bus to Oia and walked around enjoying the views and taking pictures. (and buying a small painting)

The problem with the Greek Islands for me, at least, is finding a cruise that stops at the ones I want my wife to see. Crete, Rhodes, Santorini, Patmos, Kasadasi. We don't need istanbul as we're frequent visitors there. I did them as a single man on an old rust bucket of a Greek ship years ago, but now I can't find any line that stops at all of them. Crete seems to have dropped off the map. Maybe I need to look harder.

Try:

http://www.oceanvillageholidays.co.uk/greek_island_cruise.aspx

Part of Carnival, but 2010 is the last season as Ocean Village joins P&O (Australia) in November 2010 to become "Pacific Pearl".

Operating out of Crete for half of the 2010 summer season.

Our 2008 cruise included only two Greek isles, Santorini and Mykonos. We really enjoyed both, but Santorini is not to be missed.

One word of advice. We were there in May. We visited Mykonos one afternoon, and it was very hot. The next day on Santorini was quite cold. So go prepared.

Archived