favorite ports?

5MNtravelbugs

St. John, via St. Thomas is my favorite. It is 75% protected park land, so very undeveloped. We avoid the popular Trunk Bay, not because it isn't gorgeous, but just because everyone else goes there. Last visit, we took a cab to the Annaberg area. We visited the ruins which sit atop a mountain offering incredible panoramic views. We then hiked one of the trails, accompanied by a remarkably tame wild donkey, to a beach where there were only 5-6 other people. We'd brought our snorkel gear and sound found ourselves literally swimming with the sea turtles. What an incredible experience. I hope it's just as wonderful when I return in March.

Second favorite: Dominica. I prefer the less touristy, more undeveloped ports. Dominca has rain forests, amazing waterfalls and black sand beaches. Just incredible - like nowhere else I've ever visited.

I could tell you my favorite ports if you're doing a poll. However, if you are looking for advice on where to go, I'd need to know more about what you want out of your ports/excursions (or if you plan to do any). If you and I don't dont like the same things, my favorites would mean nothing to you.

Wow! What a great list of ports. I was just curious as to what others found to be great ports and excursions. As a family we really enjoyed Roatan Honduras because, as most cruisers know, once you get away from the crowds you see the true beauty of all the different ports. I also like the less touristy areas and hope to get to Dominica- sounds great! It is all what you make of your time and experiences in life and, especially on a vacation, getting the most out of them! Thanks for all the favorite port ideas. We do have a wonderful world to explore!:D

My favorite port is always my next one. So that would be Cape Town.

I suppose I'm with you there, Paul.....although our Red Sea cruise is not exactly for PORTS, more for the excursions to Luxor, Cairo and Petra. DH will, as usual, be snorkelling most of the time.

2 weeks in the Caribbean was quite enough for me, and I've no real wish to return, but being married to such a water baby, I'll probably have to go with it someday! Give me the Greek Islands above all.......jocap.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only done the Mexican Riviera and Caribbean. My favorite port has been Roatan for the sheer beauty of the island and the wonderful experience we had with Tex from Victor Bodden Tours. It was the most beautiful and picturesque place I've been.

I also love Cabo because I love marinas and love to take an excursion and then come back to the marina area and eat, have a drink and enjoy the marina and Los Arcos view.

Archived