Caribbean Princess San Juan Embarkation

arizonaperson

I hope the answer is "improved". It has been well-documented here that the inaugural departure in early November was a royal pain. There has only been one or two after that because the CB was commissioned for the Commonwealth Conference in Trinidad these past week plus. (As I write this, she is steaming for Barbados, en route back to SJU to pick us up for Dec 6).

Guess we'll just have to find out then if things are smoother. I have no idea, but keep watch on the Bridge Cam this week because I am thinking she will be back in San Juan before Sunday morning and they could be all set for those heading off on Dec 6.

I was really asking about November 2009 to today. I see they are having problems with the boarding. I don't go until April but just checking to see the "CURRENT" situation:)

May 2009...very organized. Very smooth embarkation. The only line was out front before the doors were opened. Once they opened, things moved very quickly.

November 15th at 12:30 was fine. Only about a 15 minute wait to pass through security. Very organized. Later in the day it should really be a breeze. Also, an FYI if you are interested, the duty free shop is right there, we bought a couple of bottles of gin and one vodka, put them in our carryon that passed through X ray and had no problem at all.

November 15th at 12:30 was fine. Only about a 15 minute wait to pass through security. Very organized. Later in the day it should really be a breeze. Also, an FYI if you are interested, the duty free shop is right there, we bought a couple of bottles of gin and one vodka, put them in our carryon that passed through X ray and had no problem at all.

I've been told that the store you mention often sells out completely of it's alcohol, soda and water. So, if you're arriving late (as we are), you might want to stop elsewhere before arriving at the dock.

We arrived at the peir at 10:45 and there was a line. We were told that the wait wouldn't be long.....Then we were told the doors would open at 1:00. Apparently immigration and customs was taking their time so we had to wait. When they opened the doors we had to sit in the building and wait for another 40 minutes or so. We were in the front row and were called right after "priority" passengers. We got our cruise cards fairly quicky but we had to wait in the security screening line for a while and they weren't letting anyone through. Finally about 15 minutes later we were through screening and then had to show our passports to an immigration officer (there was only 1 person for all those people) We were finally on the ship around 2:00. What a nightmare.

Part of the reason for the delays in boarding in SJ are due to the same Custom & Immig. officals processing passengers leaving the ship. Boarding of new/next passengers does not begin until the departing passengers are fully off the ship.

Not unusual to see a line of new passengers waiting to board in SJ. If you do come in earlier, find a place to eat and relax instead of getting frustrated standing on a line that hasn't even started to be processed.

We see this all the time when SJ is a port of call enroute. They will process the incoming passengers first before starting to check the passengers departing from SJ. Just so many Custom & Immig. officials to go around and with the tropical climate and heat in SJ they do not tend to rush for anyone! :D

MARAPRINCE

Archived