Who wants to visit Eclipse at the shipyard?

editor@cruisecritic

And take part in a "crazy backwards cruise" down the River Ems? It could be you -- Celebrity's launching a sweepstakes, through which 10 people (with a guest) can go to Papenberg in March. Check out details here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3577.

It starts at midnight. Good luck! A trip to any shipyard is just about the most fascinating experience any cruise ship fan can ever have....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hi Angie:) I thought that was a bit strange too. Hope you and Tony

are both doing well.

I am sailing with Derek and Elaine next month. Wish you 2 could join us!

And take part in a "crazy backwards cruise" down the River Ems? It could be you -- Celebrity's launching a sweepstakes, through which 10 people (with a guest) can go to Papenberg in March. Check out details here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3577.

It starts at midnight. Good luck! A trip to any shipyard is just about the most fascinating experience any cruise ship fan can ever have....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Oh yes, click the link and it takes you to the cruisecritic.co.uk site - but the competition is only open to US and Canada residents? Why is this on the U.K. website if U.K. residents can't enter? This is not the first time that something like this has been on the U.K. site when we can't even enter!

It's all about legalities (in terms of allowing people from various countries to participate in contests and such). But -- you never know, Celebrity UK could be putting something together for the line's UK fans. I've already sent a query over and will report back on what I hear.

Carolyn

Wow

I'd so love to take part! Is it really correct that this is only open to US and Canada citizens?

Cant believe it when we are so much closer!!

Angie

Addict, the story's included on UK's news page under "other global news" -- which falls way below the main news items and is the heading for any news item that has no direct application for UK travelers. Otherwise, there's no focus or emphasis on the Celebrity shipyard trip sweepstakes on Cruisecritic.co.uk. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the link taking you to our UK site. It takes you to Cruisecritic.com. As it is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3577.

Carolyn

Oh yes, click the link and it takes you to the cruisecritic.co.uk site - but the competition is only open to US and Canada residents? Why is this on the U.K. website if U.K. residents can't enter? This is not the first time that something like this has been on the U.K. site when we can't even enter!

Addict, the story's included on UK's news page under "other global news" -- which falls way below the main news items and is the heading for any news item that has no direct application for UK travelers. Otherwise, there's no focus or emphasis on the Celebrity shipyard trip sweepstakes on Cruisecritic.co.uk. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the link taking you to our UK site. It takes you to Cruisecritic.com. As it is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3577.

Carolyn

OK, I understand. But whenever a UK resident clicks on a link to cruisecritic.com, it automatically diverts to the UK website.

Besides all the legalities and stuff... this is an amazing opportunity! I am not only a huge fan of Celebrity but also of cruise ships in general. I'm only seventeen and I already know that when I grow up I want to either design cruise ships or work on them, as a naval architect or marine engineer, respectively. I've been dreaming about going to Meyer Werft even... I was an still am a avid shipyard cam follower, and I even looked up the driving time from Warnemunde, Germany to Papenburg since I'll be there in June, and even though I think the 4 and a half hour drive is worth it, others don't. Boy, would this be a dream come true (its also during my spring break).

Even though I want to get a spot reeeely bad, good luck to everyone else!

Quick question...

Are the winners allowed to bring along a guest? I was a bit unsure after reading the article.

That would be amazing if they are as I am under 18 (just a year shy), so my mother would have to enter it on my behalf. I'd really like to get a shot at this! So, since nobody in my family entertained the idea of flying to Germany on our own and attempting to stop by the shipyard, just to see a few glimpses of it (Because I really tried to convince them that it would be good idea), this is an amazing chance.

Meyer Werft seems like a fascinating place to see firsthand. I actually really consider the thought of attempting to work there after college. Either with a degree in Mechanical Engineering or Naval Architecture/Marine Engineering. Gotta see which colleges work out...

Yes. Each winner can bring one guest.

Carolyn

Quick question...

Are the winners allowed to bring along a guest? I was a bit unsure after reading the article.

That would be amazing if they are as I am under 18 (just a year shy), so my mother would have to enter it on my behalf. I'd really like to get a shot at this! So, since nobody in my family entertained the idea of flying to Germany on our own and attempting to stop by the shipyard, just to see a few glimpses of it (Because I really tried to convince them that it would be good idea), this is an amazing chance.

Meyer Werft seems like a fascinating place to see firsthand. I actually really consider the thought of attempting to work there after college. Either with a degree in Mechanical Engineering or Naval Architecture/Marine Engineering. Gotta see which colleges work out...

Oh man, I will totally miss out. We will be on board the Equinox. I can't believe I will miss the sail out. I have been part of the all night club for the Solstice and Equinox. I guess if I have to miss this is the best reason. Maybe they will have some coverage on the Equinox. Good luck to all entering.

Gotcha, Addict, you're right -- UK members who plug in a cruisecritic.com link will get "sniffed" and sent over to our UK site. But you'll see from the UK site -- we're not promoting the contest.

I do have fingers crossed that we'll hear from Celebrity UK tomorrow about its plans for British cruisers. Either way, I'll post here tomorrow and let you know. It makes sense as Eclipse will home port there!!!

Carolyn

OK, I understand. But whenever a UK resident clicks on a link to cruisecritic.com, it automatically diverts to the UK website.

Maybe we can look at it differently - Brits do you have any sort of give away competions in the UK? If the ones in the supermarkets are legal then I don't really understand the hoopla about this one. The "winner" would not be required to pay for anything right or wrong?

Maybe we can look at it differently - Brits do you have any sort of give away competions in the UK? If the ones in the supermarkets are legal then I don't really understand the hoopla about this one. The "winner" would not be required to pay for anything right or wrong?

Hi,

Yes we do have free competitions. I do hope they offer something to UK residents, as at present we are left feeling missed out... something that seems to happen far too often. On the plus side for for also running a UK competition, the transport costs from the UK will be far smaller than from the US.

Ian

I'm told there will be a similar opportunity for U.K. travelers and that it'll take place in January! So hold tight --

Carolyn

This sounds great news, I do hope that something is offered for European guests.

Wow

I'd so love to take part! Is it really correct that this is only open to US and Canada citizens?

Cant believe it when we are so much closer!!

Angie

Here's our issue: .....open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including the District of Columbia) and Canada (excluding Quebec),

So I feel for you. I live near Montreal and the Quebec government has some strange regs for running contests that American based guys never bother with.

Guess we aren't worth the paper work. :(

I'm told there will be a similar opportunity for U.K. travelers and that it'll take place in January! So hold tight --

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn. I'll watch out for it. A trip to Meyer Werft would be a great opportunity.

This sounds great news, I do hope that something is offered for European guests.

Roy, it was good to meet you and Jennifer on Equinox. I hope our paths cross again.

Phil

Can anyone tell me why the "Phone" field is not working? I cannot understand what they want here. The first box, they will only allow 3 digits, so I am assuming the area code... but no matter how I enter this, it will not accept it. Any clue here?

Thanks!

Sounds like it's more than just paperwork that excludes Quebec from most contests.

True, but lots of companies that have customers in Quebec do include them in their contests.

All States and Provence's have their own "laws" that need addressing... admittedly Quebec makes it harder than the others.

Archived