British Airways cabin crew to strike

CASHIPman

From our limited experience, British Airways is one of the more difficult airlines. For example, unlike other airlines, it does not have "golf carts" even in airports where other airlines have them, they are just not handicap friendly, for those who don't walk long distances. Their new terminal 5 at Heathrow is poorly designed, in that there is not enough "walkways" such that passengers have to come off the plane, walk (sometimes in the wind and rain) to a bus (and queue up for many buses to take all the passengers) to go to the terminal. We can understand this problem with old airport terminals, but for a brand new one, this deficient design is unbecoming. The food is not so good, perhaps no worse than our domestic airlines, but surely don't measure up to other European airlines, especially compared to Swiss Air.

It's true that for our recent (and first) BA flight, LHR to Lisbon, we had to take a bus and then walk across the tarmac and climb stairs to the aircraft. It wasn't fun. Once on board, however, I was impressed. I found their coach/economy leather seating to be surprisingly comfortable with decent leg room. And when we experienced a weather delay, the cabin staff was right there with a complete announcement and ETD (which we did even better than). Was also about astonished to be served COMPLIMENTARY cocktails. !! (Of course, maybe if they gave up that passenger perk, they could keep their employees happier...:confused:) Nonetheless, we came away from our debut BA journey thinking we'd be happy to fly them again.

All that said, it certainly will be a shame if this strike actually happens and so many people will have their holiday plans thrown up for grabs.

I had read this earlier today. I know they are trying to put pressure on the negotiations but that is such a terrible time for a strike. So many people have travel plans to see friends and family or travel to get away for pleasure. To me there is something uncanny about striking at that point in time no matter how much leverage they are looking for. Just very insensitive in my humble opinion.

Keith

I would agree with wripro - so long as you don't have to cope with a handicap or disability.

For your information, there are nonstop flights from Newark Liberty to Lisbon. I have been researching flights for my one way trip to Lisbon to board Spirit next year. Since I am on oxygen, looking to fly to Newark, stay overnight there, and then take the nonstop flight which is around 6 hours.

From our limited experience, British Airways is one of the more difficult airlines. For example, unlike other airlines, it does not have "golf carts" even in airports where other airlines have them, they are just not handicap friendly, for those who don't walk long distances. Their new terminal 5 at Heathrow is poorly designed, in that there is not enough "walkways" such that passengers have to come off the plane, walk (sometimes in the wind and rain) to a bus (and queue up for many buses to take all the passengers) to go to the terminal. We can understand this problem with old airport terminals, but for a brand new one, this deficient design is unbecoming. The food is not so good, perhaps no worse than our domestic airlines, but surely don't measure up to other European airlines, especially compared to Swiss Air.

a) Depends on the airport. At Heathrow there are buggies, but at an airport where's there's only one or two flights, or where the distances aren't that great,then the cost would outweigh the benefit unless the buggies are supplied by the airport authority or the ground handling company.

b) Terminal 5 is still unfinished. About 1/4 of the gates won't be available until, I think, 2012 when T5C is opened. The terminal is being built by BAA (the airport authority).

c) Food is subjective and also depends on the class of service. Though I'm generally not a fan of ANY airline food, I quite liked Emirates meals in business.

I'm glad Iberia got their strike out of the way a month or so ago as that's who we're taking to Barcelona for the Spirit.

I am impressed with the SilverSky Concierge folks. They have already offered us three alternatives at no extra charge. Looks as if we'll go with Continental from PHX-EWR-LIS. There's a 6 hour layover at EWR, but there's no multi-stop sched or change in airline. The other options were multi-stop, or required baggage switching issues. Early wakeup for us on New Years Eve!

I am impressed with the SilverSky Concierge folks. They have already offered us three alternatives at no extra charge. Looks as if we'll go with Continental from PHX-EWR-LIS. There's a 6 hour layover at EWR, but there's no multi-stop sched or change in airline. The other options were multi-stop, or required baggage switching issues. Early wakeup for us on New Years Eve!

Glad to see this worked out well for you. Just stay up the night before and celebrate early then sleep on the planes. Have fun.

We're booked and confirmed on Continental from PHX-EWR-LIS on 31 Dec. The flight from here and the flight out of EWR look to be both full, but at least we're on. Wes; We're thinking of taking a one day pass to the President's Club in Newark at $45/per rather than sitting in the waiting area. Talked to the Club office and we can pay at the door. We're scheduled to arrive EWR at 1400. Glad that's resolved! Susan at the Silver Sky office did a marvelous job for us, working with our TA.

Doug, we fly from ATL and will be at EWR at 5:45pm. We will head straight for the Con. Pres Club Lounge..our Cont flight to Paris does not depart until 8:45..believe we'll have time for at least one new years eve/spirit drink.

Wes; There are 2 President's Club lounges in terminal C. Won't know which one we'll use until the day prior to departure. It'll depend on arrival and departure gates. Do you want to pick one? A New Years drink sounds good. There's a third lounge in one of the other terminals that Continental uses, but that's out for us. I suspect that your Paris flight will leave from terminal C if it's Continental.

Congrats Dougburns. Sounds pretty good, all in all. Happy Holidays!

There are plenty of electric buggies/golf carts in T5......a major improvement on the rest of Heathrow - you do need to request wheelchair assistance to get the buggy service, but it's no extra cost.

Archived