Discount Coupon Denied!!!

teacherman

We have cruised on several different lines and are often receiving coupons for discounts if we book a future cruise. So...shortly after receiving a $50 coupon (big deal!) we booked a 12 night cruise for next year. I booked direct with RCCL and gave them the coupon code over the phone. They gladly took the booking, and my deposit. Three days later I receive an e-mail telling me the coupon has been denied, and to refer to the Terms and Conditions on the back of the coupon. I did, and can find no reason listed for the denial on that particular cruise, except for "Offer may be withdrawn at any time". I wrote to RCCL requesting an explanation, but have received none, thus far. Has this ever happened to any of you? I mean, we are not going to book, or cancel, a cruise over a paltry $50 (1 bottle of over-priced wine in the dining room), but it seems like a poor business practice. Your thoughts???

We have cruised on several different lines and are often receiving coupons for discounts if we book a future cruise. So...shortly after receiving a $50 coupon (big deal!) we booked a 12 night cruise for next year. I booked direct with RCCL and gave them the coupon code over the phone. They gladly took the booking, and my deposit. Three days later I receive an e-mail telling me the coupon has been denied, and to refer to the Terms and Conditions on the back of the coupon. I did, and can find no reason listed for the denial on that particular cruise, except for "Offer may be withdrawn at any time". I wrote to RCCL requesting an explanation, but have received none, thus far. Has this ever happened to any of you? I mean, we are not going to book, or cancel, a cruise over a paltry $50 (1 bottle of over-priced wine in the dining room), but it seems like a poor business practice. Your thoughts???

There has been much controversy lately becuase RCCL is no longer allowing combined discounts. If you used a platinum or diamond membership to get a balcony or higher stateroom discount you can no longer use the other coupons.

It's very frustrating, I understand. Since they are not allowing combined discounts any longer, I do not know why rcl keeps sending out these coupons.

We have rec'd $50 "thank-you for cruising with us" coupons from Adam Goldstein on many occasions, but have been denied using them (every time). I've argued this very point with royal caribbean and their coupon dept. many times. I do not know why Adam Goldstein keeps wasting the paper they are printed on.

I wish I could offer a solution, but it makes no sense to me :eek:

What were the terms and conditions?

It's very frustrating, I understand. Since they are not allowing combined discounts any longer, I do not know why rcl keeps sending out these coupons.

We have rec'd $50 "thank-you for cruising with us" coupons from Adam Goldstein on many occasions, but have been denied using them (every time). I've argued this very point with royal caribbean and their coupon dept. many times. I do not know why Adam Goldstein keeps wasting the paper they are printed on.

I wish I could offer a solution, but it makes no sense to me :eek:

Maybe save the money on the coupons and bring back the chocolates :D!!

We have been able to use the coupons from the website, better discount than our platinum discount

they bother to send them out because 1) its auto-generated by a computer to the printer, Mr Goldstein only supplies the name and 2) you don't have to use your Plat/Dia/Dia+ discount on a balcony, you don't have to book during WOW, you don't have to book using your NextCruise certificate, etc. So the result is, if you didn't use any other discounts, at least you've got $50 off your booking

Like others have said if you are trying to use the coupon in combination with other offer it is not valid. For Platinum, Diamond/Diamond+ not using the share holders benifit the coupon will work best for an inside or ocean view cabin. Any higher category and the balcony disount is more advatageous.

I agree that it sure would be nice to be able to apply the $50 coupon to all bookings but until they change it we just have to go with it the way it is.

If you're using it in conjunction with a C&A coupon or stockholder benefit they it will be denied but other than that I have never had a coupon denied if it was the sole coupon, not expired, for the correct cabin category, etc.

You also cannot combine with the C&A balcony discounts.

We do not have any other discounts, we have booked an inside cabin, it is not a holiday cruise, etc. I just find it funny that I always get them in the mail, but the only time I ever try to apply one, they refuse it WITH NO EXPLANATION except "look at terms and conditions" which I did before attempting to use it. Also, the person at RCCL who takes the reservation cannot apply the discount. It must go "through the system" to someone else who then notifies you several days later that it is not accepted. Has anyone ever called and said "I will book this cruise only if you accept the coupon"? Did the reservation agent know if they could take it? Ah..the joys of travel.

Well, based on your information I am stumped. It would seem that the coupon should be good. Maybe you could call back and ask again. If they say no ask for resolutions maybe they will help. Seems like a lot of effort for $50. Now I would be doing it more for principle than the money. Good luck hope you resolve this issue.

Double check to be sure the coupon you are trying to use is valid for an inside...I have had them send 2 coupons like that before..one for inside & one for OV & higher...if that's not the case..then I agree...call back..I'd try calling C&A rather than the regular reservation #...they are usually a little more helpful...

I agree the coupon should be valid. When we received the coupon thanking us for cruising on the Liberty we thought it was very special coming from Mr Goldstine. We tried to use it on our cruise for April 2010 and was denied. We did almost cancel not for the $50.00 but the principal. We have been very loyal to RCCL and I don't think they have been fair to their loyal passengers.

Double check to be sure the coupon you are trying to use is valid for an inside...I have had them send 2 coupons like that before..one for inside & one for OV & higher...if that's not the case..then I agree...call back..I'd try calling C&A rather than the regular reservation #...they are usually a little more helpful...

Great point. I had completely forgotten there were two coupons and yes they are for different categories.

It seems that the only combinable offers are with the senior discount...Mr Goldstein is business only, there is no loyalty that he has shown lately to any of the loyal to Royal cruisers...It seems very doubtful that anything is going to return or change in our favor...it is possibly going to get worse...That being said it will not change our decision to continue to sail with RCCL as we have done since the early 80's...RCCL is truly the Nation of "WHY" Not...but that question is hard for them to answer when we ask it.....

They should skip the "save $50" and offer a bottle of wine with dinner instead (from their cheap list, of course)

They would actually come out ahead because most of the bottles on their cheap list are about $15.

I would consider that a "thank-you".

Perhaps the coupon was designated for only a certain time period and time has expired? When I used to be able to use those "thank you" $50 coupons, it seem that I remember there was a specific period of time in which they could be applied..like 90 days maybe.

If you're using it in conjunction with a C&A coupon or stockholder benefit they it will be denied but other than that I have never had a coupon denied if it was the sole coupon, not expired, for the correct cabin category, etc.

Im only a gold member with RCCL and on 2 occasions I have used coupons with outy a problem,1 for 50 and 1 for 75.

They should skip the "save $50" and offer a bottle of wine with dinner instead (from their cheap list, of course)

They would actually come out ahead because most of the bottles on their cheap list are about $15.

I would consider that a "thank-you".

No such thing as a $15 bottle of wine on a ship

I admit I made a mistake and gave them the wrong 4 digit code on the back of the coupon. Now, they didn't tell me I gave them the wrong code, they just denied it. :mad: If they had looked at the booking they would have been able to figure it out the error easily. Instead, I had to re-read my email to them and finally figured the problem out by the third attempt.

And then I received my $50 credit. :)

Archived