Future cruise on board credit

Ricky Chan

and thought that they have the same procedure on HAL. I just entered my cabin # and the charge was on our on board account. No CC needed.

That might be possible for US customers as the onboard account is billed in US dollars. When we did our onboard bookings we did so in Canadian dollars and so our credit card was needed. I expected to see it billed in US dollars with a conversion to Canadian coming from HAL, Seattle when the cc bill arrived in the mail, but to my surprise the bill was in Canadian dollars billed from HAL, Vancouver, just as it is when we book a cruise here using our own travel agent.

Future Cruise Shipboard Credits

Cruises 7 to 11 day: Inside and Ocean View Cabins, $25pp; Veranda, $35pp and Deluxe Suite $50 pp.

Cruises 12 days or longer: Inside and Ocean View, $50pp; Veranda, $75pp; Deluxe Suite $100pp.

This is combinable with Carnival Corporation Shipboard Credits for being stockholder.

The page I got last week says it is 7-10 days for the first tier and 11+ for the second tier.

Interesting.

I have never seen a form to fill out considering that they need your credit card to make the deposit.

I didn't notice a form either, but last week the FCC picked up all of our info, including the credit card number, from the cruise we were on.

John I agree with you about the shipboard credit.

This is part of the letter we got on our last cruise:

Shipboard Credit:

7 - 10 days:

Inside - $25 per person

Outside - $25 per person

Verandah (VA/A - VF/BC0 - $35 per person

Suite (PS - S/SY) - $50 per person

11+ days:

Inside - $50 per person

Outside - $50 per person

Verandah (VA/A - VF/BC) - $75 per person

Suite (PS - S/SY) - $100 per person

Please Note:

This offer applies to the first two passengers in stateroom only, and is not applicable to upper berth passengers. Passengers with single occupany will receive a single person portion. Ship board credit may only be used on a single voyage and expires at the end of that voyage. This offer or any unused portion is not redeemable for cash and is available to new bookings only.

This offer is not combinable with the World Cruise, Grand Voyages or segments thereof.

Warning - We found out the hard way that it is not a regular booking - it is non-refundable deposit. We weren't told this until we got off the ship and went over the paperwork. We have never run into this on other lines so it didn't occur to us to ask. We wouldn't have booked it if we had been told. We do have four years to use it, after that they keep our money. Not cool.

We loved almost everything about our Zaandam cruise, but this is leaving us with a bad taste and dissapointed with the line. We don't like to be put in a use it or lose it situation.

After the holidays we are going to attempt to cancel it. Our T/A already tried and was told no by HAL.

Cruises 7 to 11 day: Inside and Ocean View Cabins, $25pp; Veranda, $35pp and Deluxe Suite $50 pp.

Cruises 12 days or longer: Inside and Ocean View, $50pp; Veranda, $75pp; Deluxe Suite $100pp.

This is combinable with Carnival Corporation Shipboard Credits for being stockholder.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The page I got last week says it is 7-10 days for the first tier and 11+ for the second tier.

Wonder when they changed it?

I'm not sure how old the sheet I typed from is but I think it is from a year or less.

Warning - We found out the hard way that it is not a regular booking - it is non-refundable deposit. We weren't told this until we got off the ship and went over the paperwork. We have never run into this on other lines so it didn't occur to us to ask. We wouldn't have booked it if we had been told. We do have four years to use it, after that they keep our money. Not cool.

We loved almost everything about our Zaandam cruise, but this is leaving us with a bad taste and dissapointed with the line. We don't like to be put in a use it or lose it situation.

After the holidays we are going to attempt to cancel it. Our T/A already tried and was told no by HAL.

Any of the FCC's that we have booked with on board have always explained that the $100 per person deposits are non-refundable.

Also -- it is on the paper work that you sign when you hand over your credit card to pay for the deposits.

I'm not sure how old the sheet I typed from is but I think it is from a year or less.

I checked the paperwork we have gotten concerning the amounts and days -- they are all from Eurodam - 2008, Noordam 2009, Westerdam 2009 and Zuiderdam 2009.

So it may have changed about a year ago.

"Any of the FCC's that we have booked with on board have always explained that the $100 per person deposits are non-refundable.

Also -- it is on the paper work that you sign when you hand over your credit card to pay for the deposits."

Our FCC never mentioned it, I'm not making the accusation that it was intentional, never the less we weren't told.

We have booked many cruises on board ships and rented many cars ashore - no, I don't read everything I sign. If I'm dealing with a reputable company I don't mind signing without my attorney. I also don't read everything I have to sign at the doctor's office.

Our FCC never mentioned it, I'm not making the accusation that it was intentional, never the less we weren't told.

We have booked many cruises on board ships and rented many cars ashore - no, I don't read everything I sign. If I'm dealing with a reputable company I don't mind signing without my attorney. I also don't read everything I have to sign at the doctor's office.

That is your fault that you don't read what you sign - particularly when signing something new. Yes, we even read what we sign at the Dr.'s office.

"Any of the FCC's that we have booked with on board have always explained that the $100 per person deposits are non-refundable.

Also -- it is on the paper work that you sign when you hand over your credit card to pay for the deposits."

Buyer beware always applies.

It becomes your responsibility to be knowledgeable.

I understand you were on vacation,

You have had experiences on other ships where it varied,

However, you didn't ask. FCC did not think to mention it.

The number of Mariners (repeat HAL cruisers) on every given cruise is normally very high. Most who are sailing again and again on the ships, know and don't ask because they already know.

You now know (AND are now a Mariner). :)

Sometimes we simply have to take responsibility for ourselves. Sometimes our learning comes at a cost.

Perhaps within the next four years, you may decide you can actually use the two $100 future cruise credits you purchased. You don't have to cruise within four years but you have to book a cruise within that time period.

Not only is the shipboard credit combinable with the Carnival Corporation shipboard credit, but it is also combinable with any shipboard credit you may get from your TA (or anyone else) and/or American Express Platinum card (if you have one).

I know on my upcoming Maasdam cruise, my travel agent did a match on my future credit. I appreciate that because they really didn't have to do so.

Our FCC purchased December 2007 shows tier one as 7-11 days and tier two as 12 or more ... the tiers mentioned above by KK are shown on our December 2008 and November 2009 FCC confirmations.

I only true gripe with the obc is the fact that a solo cruiser only receive one credit!! Since a solo cruiser is paying anywhere from 120% to 200 % on a sailing and we are paying for the privilege of having the cabin alone, I think that receiving credit for two people is only fair. But I won't hold my breath on that!!

But the main reasons that I purchase the future cruise credits is it allows me to quickly book a cruise with ease and also with no other money down. My money was a little tight when booking my upcoming cruise, but having the credit ensured me my booking and locking in my cabin and dining time. There are some faults in the credit program,esp compared to some of the other cruiselines under the Carnival family that offer a more generous incentive and prehaps HAL will address this one day.

There are some faults in the credit program,esp compared to some of the other cruiselines under the Carnival family that offer a more generous incentive and prehaps HAL will address this one day.

LOL! HAL "addressed" it a few years ago when they decreased what had been a very generous on-board credit. :rolleyes:

The Future Cruise Consultant used to be only on long-ish cruises, so I did bookings then. I used to get $150 credits in my inside cabin on another long cruise; once I got $300. Now it's more like $25-$50.

The only real difference in the timing of when you see the FCC is how busy (s)he is. The business tends to build up as the cruise goes on. You stand a better chance of a short (if any) wait earlier in the cruise.

I will definitely book our 2011 Canada/New England cruise on the day we embark the ship at January 9, 2010.

Thanks for the advise.

Ricky

The fact that the deposit is non-refundable was clearly noted in the paperwork that we signed on board. If one doesn't read what they sign.... I'm sorry.

I believe 4 year limit applies to all cruiselines that are own by Carnival. Celebrity FCC deposit has no expiry date, to my knowledge.

Ricky

We just got off the Noordam this past Monday. We did buy a future cruise credit. The current OBCs are as follows: 7-10 days: $25pp inside, $25pp oustide, $35pp balcony, $50pp suite. 11+ days: $50pp inside, $50pp outside, $75pp balcony, $100pp suite.

Side note: We booked an outside for the 20 day cruise and should have gotten the $50pp as stated on the future cruise credit. They upgraded us up to a balcony and gave us the $75pp. We thought that was generous of them.

What if you are booked:

in an Ocean View and then your are Complimentary upgraded to a Veranda or above, do you get the $50pp or $75pp?

in an Ocean View and you Pay to upgrade to a Veranda or above, do you get the $50pp or $75pp?

Just wondering if anyone knew?

Also do they look to see who has and who doesn't have a future shipboard credit and decide based on that what's the best value to the ship when making upgrade decisions?

- CWipes

and thought that they have the same procedure on HAL. I just entered my cabin # and the charge was on our on board account. No CC needed.

On HAL, the FCC's have said that they charge your credit card directly, it does not go to your onboard account.

On the Prinsendam recently, I was given a form to fill out with my credit card number. I was told that I could leave the form at the Front Office, addressed to the Future Cruise Consultant. I did that. A letter stating that my future cruise deposit had been charged to my Canadian credit card was then left outside my cabin later that night.

Here's an idea... why don't you ask HAL if the $100 deposit can be used on another line Carnival owns? Maybe they would do that, if that would help. If not, write a nice letter to Mr. Kruse...

Archived