3-5 nt Cruise recommendation for couple's trip without kids?

peacefrogdog

First time poster. These boards are great.

Looking for opinions although I realize people can't make decisions for me.

I'm looking to plan a shorter Caribbean/Bahamas cruise for just my wife and I. We will already be in Miami for a conference and looking to book something around that time departing from Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

As a reference, we have been on two cruises before: Voyageur or the Seas and most recently Freedom of the Seas. The Voyageur was for our honeymoon and the Freedom cruise was with my kids and extended family. We certainly would not mind going with them again, but definitely open to trying a new cruiseline.

In terms of what we're looking for:

As it will be just my wife and I (both in mid-30's), we plan to have a very laid back cruise - we may not even get off at the ports, plan to lay by the pool and spend some nice couple's time together. Food is somewhat important to us - by no means are we food conneisours (sp?) but hope to have it at least on par with the quality of the food we had on the Freedom. Having non-MDR options is a nice option, but not essential. We'll be wanting to spend the time together so having a big party atmosphere isn't that important. We liked the look of the RCL boats and i know my wife would probably mind it a little bit if the decor was loud or gaudy.

Our options for short cruises during that time are:

Majesty of the Seas

Carnival Destiny

Celebrity Century

Grandeur of the Seas

Norwegian Sky

Carnival Imagination

Based on quotes for these cruises I got via their respective websites, we'd be ok with any of the prices.

For an adults only trip without the kids, based on some of things we're looking for can anyone make any recommendations (or perhaps more appropriately mention which ones we should stay away from?)

Thanks in advance,

Rene

Welcome!

My husband and I did the Norwegian Sky last year for a quick couple getaway. The food was nice, the cabin was quiet and the ship was not crowded. It was our first cruise and we had a wonderful time. Our only regret is that we did not spend a little extra for a balcony...

Out of the ships you list, I would probably choose Celebrity Century or maybe Grandeur of the Seas. I would definitely rule out the Carnival ships - too gaudy and with a shorter cruise, likely too much partying. The cabins on Majesty are very small. Sorry, I don't know enough about NCL, but if you enjoyed RCCL's ships, you're likely to enjoy Century or Grandeur.

I am a carnival horn blower BUT the shorter cruises are more partier then the longer cruises.

The above is true for the 3 day cruises- if you have to do a short cruise make it the 5 nighter-- it will be a different experience from the 3 day one

I am a carnival horn blower BUT the shorter cruises are more partier then the longer cruises.

The above is true for the 3 day cruises- if you have to do a short cruise make it the 5 nighter-- it will be a different experience from the 3 day one

true, I did a RCI Sovereign of the Seas 3 day, and it was "party-party", my worst expereince, much worse than any of my 4 Carnival cruises- two years earlier,same exact ship, but a 4 day, and the atmosphere was completely different. I loved the 4 day but hated the 3 day.

One thing though,it IS true that Carnival does not have the calm decor, it is garish and "Liberace" style for sure. However, most ships,the decor is so-so to me anyway. I have only found the Disney Wonder, HAL Statendam and Westerdam to have beautiful decor,(to my taste anyway) of the 14 ships I have cruised.

If you have done two bigger RCL cruises, you might be dissapointed in the size of the cabins on Majesty. We did a OV and inside (b2b) out of Florida and I hated the small cabins. Start at 119 s.f. yikes. Too small for me, but cozy and possible if you are young.

I think Carnival and RCL choices, both would be about the same, neither would be exceptional, but would be a way to get away for a short cruise.

Gandeur of the Seas would be better, or if you want quieter, Celebrity.

Im not a NCL fan, too many bad reviews of NCL Sky.

If you have done two bigger RCL cruises, you might be dissapointed in the size of the cabins on Majesty. We did a OV and inside (b2b) out of Florida and I hated the small cabins. Start at 119 s.f. yikes. Too small for me, but cozy and possible if you are young.

I think Carnival and RCL choices, both would be about the same, neither would be exceptional, but would be a way to get away for a short cruise.

Gandeur of the Seas would be better, or if you want quieter, Celebrity.

Im not a NCL fan, too many bad reviews of NCL Sky.

They did not list Navigator of the Seas, but I know that ship does 4 and 5 day, and would be more similar to the ships they have cruised in the past.

They did not list Navigator of the Seas, but I know that ship does 4 and 5 day, and would be more similar to the ships they have cruised in the past.

There are also many bad reviews for Carnival Imagination . Zeta 3 ( whom I trust) who loves HAL, and also likes Carnival normally, did a back to back on NCL Sky and Carnival Imagination Thanksgiving 2008, she preferred the SKY, and that was pre drydock.

I do believe Majesty of the Seas, in spite of her dinky cabins, is the best liked of those 3 ships. Her reviews are better, at least. Perhaps the OP could get a deal on a suite on a 4 day. I have seen the suites going $600 a person on some of the 4 day cruises. I would stay away from a 3 day on any of those ships.

Out of the ships you list, I would probably choose Celebrity Century or maybe Grandeur of the Seas. I would definitely rule out the Carnival ships - too gaudy and with a shorter cruise, likely too much partying. The cabins on Majesty are very small. Sorry, I don't know enough about NCL, but if you enjoyed RCCL's ships, you're likely to enjoy Century or Grandeur.

Even as a person who have been on several Carnival cruises, I have to agree with this post -- eliminate the short Carnival cruises. As I understand it, the short Carnival cruises tend to be party boats. Nothing wrong with that, just not what you seem to be looking for.

I'm thinking it might be time to go for a Celebrity cruise. You will find fewer kids there, and, from what I hear, Celebrity provides very good service. I think that is the one I would choose.

Please let us know what you decide. :-)

Great suggestions!

What is the demographic like on Celebrity? When my parents went on Celebrity they mentioned most people were around their age. While we are looking for a quiet time, I'm not sure we want to stand out in terms of demographic.

Normally true, but this is a shorter cruise-plenty of 30 somethings on the shorter cruises. If you think this may not work for you, Navigator of the Seas does 4 and 5 day cruises out of Miami, and they are a sister ship to Voyager of the seas.

Having sailed on the NCL Sky myself 3 times now, insides as well as balcony, I would do that again in a heartbeat. I have sailed the 3 night as well as the 4 night, and did not have an issue with kids at either time, had quite a few college kids in March, but that time of year it is to be expected, they were on spring break.

Either way, they did not pose a problem, shared the hot tubs nicely, and pretty much kept to themselves.

I have sailed on the Majesty OTS, and I did not like that 4 night as much as NCL.

Also with the Sky you have your different dining options, Main Dining room, Cagneys Steakhouse, LeBistro the french restraunt and the Italian place Adagio I belive it is called, I can not have pasta or pizza, so I have not eaten there. We have had Cagneys on each sailing however.

Archived