Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise

RamRam

A group of us (possibly 10 of us) plan on taking a cruise to Greek Islands and Turkey in June 2010. I am seeking advice from those of you who have been to this area on several questions?

- recommendations on cruise line and itinerary

- length of the cruise to visit 2-3 islands and couple of places in Turkey

- starting point recommendation (point in Italy or Greece)

- places to get good deals

thank you,

We cruised the Med. in May 2007 with two other couples. We went on RC (7 day cruise). We started and ended in Venice, Italy. We went to Dubrovnik, Croatia, Santorinni, Greece, Corfu, Greece and Kudasai, Turkey. We really enjoyed the ports and cruiseline. After returning to Venice we rented a car and drove through Tuscany and stayed 3 days in Rome. Look and see what ports you want to visit and see what lines go there. It is usually more expensive for airfare when you start at one port and end at another. We went in May - any later and it will be pretty warm for touring. We did all of the ports on our own except we wanted to tour Ephesus in Turkey and went with the cruiseline.

Go in May when airfares are cheaper and there are less crowds. If you are going to spend money to get there ($$$) do a 12 day cruise. A seven day cruise in this region can be very intensive and you really need two sea days to relax. Barcelona is a great port to sail out of for a first timer. Tim

In 2007 we did a Greek Cruise leaving from Piraeus Athens, it was only 4 nights, but we saw so much and I see that they now have a longer cruise, an 8 day that also takes in Istanbul and Ag Nicholaos in Greece.

We were really concerned with the Cruiseline we picked, as we needed to go from Greece not Italy. We were on the Cristal (Louis Cruise Line), she was a replacement ship for the one that we were booked on the Dimond, which sunk off the coast of Santorini.:eek:

The Cristal was a delightful cruise, we really enjoyed it and the islands that we visited were great. Santorini, Crete, Rhodes, Patmos Mykonos and Kudasai, Turkey We missed Mykonos though as it was too rough to put down tenders but we got a good view of the windmills.:(

The Cristal is a small ship, the crew were fantastic and I loved the Greek shows. Only about 1400 passengers and 25611 tons and length 162m.

This cruiseline does not get good reviews but we would cruise again with them, but must admit, it would have to be the Cristal as the other ships are old. I am not sure if they have any newer vessels.

I loved Rhodes and would of liked to stay longer, but all were fantastic. Alot cheaper way of doing it than the ferry hopper, as you do not waste your days on the ferry, but instead wake up in a new port every day, and some times you have two port calls.

Hope this helps.

Mal NZ

A group of us (possibly 10 of us) plan on taking a cruise to Greek Islands and Turkey in June 2010. I am seeking advice from those of you who have been to this area on several questions?

thank you,

In 2006, we did a one-week cruise departing Athens in mid June, seeing three Greek Isles and having two stops along the Turkish Coast. We finished in Istanbul. It was a great cruise with nice weather and nothing too crowded. In May or earlier June, you might do better on pricing, etc. As you get into July and August, you could have more crowd or heat challenges. There are many, many cruise lines that do this type of arrangement over a seven-day period in this area. It depends on what type of budget range you can do, plus the type of cruise experience and ship size you desire/need. Tell us more about those interests and needs. We sailed on Seabourn Spirit with a little less than 200 passengers. It was super wonderful! With so many port stops, do you want the added hassle of a large to mega ship that can be challenging as you visit some of these smaller ports and the added logistics getting off and on your ship?

Doing Athens-Istanbul starting and finishing ports (or the reverse) has many advantages, including allowing added time before and after your cruise to see these great, charming and historic cities. Below are some visual samples of what you can enjoy in Mykonos and along the Turkish Coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Ruins from when Ephesus was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Enjoying a bright, sunny day in front of the famed Parthenon in Athens:

ParthenonPosing.jpg

Bodrum Castle from our cruise ship in this town along the charming Turkish Coast:

BodrumCastle.jpg

Our first views of Istanbul from our docked ship:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

TLC,

Your photos are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them! I am just starting to research ports for our September cruise and you are so helpful!

Original poster-you can't go wrong with whatever you choose. We have done several Med cruises and have never had a port that we wouldn't go back to in a heartbeat-Princess offers one called Greek Isles that we just loved. A good variety of ports and many that you can do on your own easily from the ship walking.

We are booked on the Norwegian Gem's Adriatic itinerary, 7 days on May 1st. This cruise is round trip Venice, and we are staying there 2 days pre cruise which was the deciding factor for us. Our cruise will go to Dubrovnik, Athens, Ismir (Ephesus) and Nafplion in Greece. The Gem alternates this itinerary with a Greek Islands cruise, making a nice 2 week back to back trip for those who can take the 2 weeks. Unfortunately, at this time in our lives, 10 days is about the longest we feel comfortable being away from home and work, so we're only doing the Adriatic route --- this time!

We are booked on the Norwegian Gem's Adriatic itinerary, 7 days on May 1st. This cruise is round trip Venice, and we are staying there 2 days pre cruise which was the deciding factor for us. Our cruise will go to Dubrovnik, Athens, Ismir (Ephesus) and Nafplion in Greece. The Gem alternates this itinerary with a Greek Islands cruise, making a nice 2 week back to back trip for those who can take the 2 weeks. Unfortunately, at this time in our lives, 10 days is about the longest we feel comfortable being away from home and work, so we're only doing the Adriatic route --- this time!

Your cruise will deliver LOTS! in just seven days. Plus, having the added time in Venice. Below are some visuals to help you consider your several options while in Nafplion. You could stay just in that coastal city, maybe see its fortress overlooking the town. Or, go to the Mycene ruins. Or, to Epidaurus which is best known for its outdoor theater with its amazing acoustic properties. It is located to the north of Nafplion on the Peloponnesos Peninsula. Many good options to consider there depending on your interest.

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire:

MyceneTrianble.jpg

Examples of Mycene gold:

MyceneGold.jpg

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor:

Nap.jpg

In Nafplion, there is this small fort out in the harbor:

NapIslandFort.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

Epidaurus has totally amazing acoustic properties. It is located on the Peloponnesos Peninsula:

Gr.jpg

We went on Nautica (Oceania) and it was a spectacular trip. Istanbul to Athens. We flew Iberia from Washington, DC to Madrid and the next day hopped over to Istanbul (3 hours) back was Athens to Madrid where we toured 5 days before returning home. (My stradegy is to find the cheapest flight to Europe and then find an inter-European flight to port)

First get a wonderful guide in Istanbul who has a driver and car. The traffic there is more than challenging, parking NON exsistant and road signs in a languge that is not to be translated. There are 16 million people and only 2 bridges. We used Lala of Kagan travel and she made our trip WONDERFUL. Do not skimp on guides -- you have so little time and so much to see.

I liked the smaller size of the Nautica (660 people) because we were able to tender into Deos (Holy Greek Island that is wonderful) and because 600 people do not overwhelm the islands. We also went to Crete which is what my husband judged the itenerary on -- Palace of Konosos was built 4 thousand years BEFORE Christ that is way OLD. Nautica's food is outstanding and with 13 shore excursions in 14 days too tired to worry about entertainment etc. I took 1,400 pictures so will not even get started with that. Go to Greece, Go to Turkey, take excellent shore excursions and use your time wisely because if you go 20 times you will still not see it all.

Hi Terri (TLC in Ohio-which I am guessing is COLD today)!

Our cruise visits, among others, two ports I have never been to-Argostoli and Itea. I saw captain Correlii's Mandolin recently which featured Argostoli-have you been to either? What would you recommend?

Thanks and happy new year!

carole

Hi Terri (TLC in Ohio-which I am guessing is COLD today)! Our cruise visits, among others, two ports I have never been to-Argostoli and Itea. I saw captain Correlii's Mandolin recently which featured Argostoli-have you been to either? What would you recommend? Thanks and happy new year! carole

YES, today in Central Ohio will have a high of 17F and a low of 15F. BUT, it is nice and sunny right now! Looks great in our ravine, wooded area where we live. AND, OSU fans are still glowing over the Rose Bowl win!

Have not been to either Argostoli or Itea. From my handy Eyewitness Greek Island book, Argostoli is a part of the western coast group of islands south of Corfu. It is a fairly large town of 31,000 people and looks like there are many enjoyable options there. Itea is on the "mainland" and is the gateway port city to the historic area of Delphi that is about 15 km to the NE. Delphi was the site of its famed oracle from the classical Greek world and a major site for the worship of the god Apollo. Your planned cruise looks great with its many stops in Italy, Greece, Turkey and Spain. Lots to love on this cruise. BUT, with the short time in many of these ports and so many options, you will need to do your advance research to determine your priorities on what you will do, in a time-efficient manner, in each port.

Thanks! Yes, we have many ports, and DH & I have been to most on prior cruises over the years, so we can plan to see new sights or museums at each. While we try to maximize what we see, we are careful not to overschedule ourselves with full day excursions every day. And I feel that one of the best parts of Europe is simply strolling around, having a cup of coffee or local lunch and people watching. I will be posting more questions as the trip gets nearer and hope you can help me! Happy New Year (ps-my step-daughter and family live just north of Columbus-it is a wonderful place to raise a family and to visit.)

Thanks! Yes, we have many ports, and DH & I have been to most on prior cruises over the years, so we can plan to see new sights or museums at each. While we try to maximize what we see, we are careful not to overschedule ourselves with full day excursions every day. And I feel that one of the best parts of Europe is simply strolling around, having a cup of coffee or local lunch and people watching. I will be posting more questions as the trip gets nearer and hope you can help me! Happy New Year (ps-my step-daughter and family live just north of Columbus-it is a wonderful place to raise a family and to visit.)

Keep those questions rolling in. People are very helpful and knowledgeable on these boards. Where north of Columbus do your family live? We're in Clintonville in the northern part of town.

We cruised on Azamara Quest this past November from Rome to Athens. We stopped in Sorrento; Chios, Greece; Istanbul, Kusadasi, Bodrum, Fethiye and Antalya in Turkey; Cyprus; Alexandria (Egypt). It was a fantastic cruise. The weather was great, warm enough to eat outside most days onshore. We especially loved Istanbul, Kusadasi and Bodrum in Turkey.

Azamara is a great cruiseline. They are upscale, but there are online bargains for next fall. The service and food are wonderful.

Hi, Our family lives in Galena (off the Sunbury exit off I-71). Very nice areas-we love the shopping around Polaris!

You must travel alot-or did you live in Europe? There is so much great knowledge on these boards! Thx, Carole

THANKS, Carole, for the added background! Yes! Know Galena well. There's a nice, down-home place to eat there on their little village square. Have visited there often. Live full-time in Central Ohio, but have visited 20 different countries in Europe since first doing a month there while in college in 1970. Like history, politics, travel and photography. These boards are an excellent way to learn and share more. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

There are so many possible choices. The best advice I can give you is find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

Here are three different ways we have done it -- different itineraries, different ships, different cruise lines, different ports -- all great!

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

http://www.bully4.us/holyland.html

http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

thank you,

This is a cruise we're looking at right now- Thomson Celebration from Marmaris in Turkey, to Istanbul-Canakkale-Kusadasi (all in Turkey), then to Santorini and Rhodes before back to Marmaris.

It may not suit you at all, as it's a British run ship, and is an old HAL.

The price is £875 for a week in June, but that includes flights from the UK, transfers and all tips. I don't know what the cruise only costs, but they say it's available.

Just a thought! Might be not your scene at all:o.

jocap.

We cruised the Med. in May 2007 with two other couples. We went on RC (7 day cruise). It is usually more expensive for airfare when you start at one port and end at another.

We just booked air flying over from Philly to Athens and returning from Istanbul. I was surprised to find the price CHEAPER than a round trip flight from Philly to Athens and back. Suggest that you find the cost both round trip and arriving/departing from different cities on line and then call the airline and have a knowledgeable aganet price it out for you (knowledgeable is a key - it make take more than one call). Even with the surcharge for a telephone reservation our overall price or air was lower than I could get on line.

Try it! You might like it!

In doing research on things to do on our upcoming trip to the Greek Isles and Turkey I've followed links from quite a few of the bloggers here on CC. There is an amazing pool of experience and knowledge!

The other day I found several incredible links to a vast number of videos about the places we will stop...and many others. Some are professional clips (Rick Steve) and others are home grown. Here are two links for those who relish seeing ahead of time:

http://www.mefeedia.com/video/20452637

http://www.concierge.com/video/europe/mykonos--santorini/mykonossantoriniseedo/4271591001/delos/4364325001

http://www.tourvideos.com/

and don't forget YouTube

I've booked with Thomsons sailing from Marmaris as we haven't been to Turkey before. It will include Bodrum and Izmir (hope to go from there to Ephesus), Greek ports of call are Mykonos, Ag Nik (Crete), Napulion (Peloponnes) and Piraeus (Athens).

If your interested in history you can visit, Knossos - Crete, Mycanae or Epidavorous - probably mis spelt these. Also just down the road from Ag Nik on Crete is Elounda and you can do a short boat trip to the island of spinalonga which was the last leper colony in Europe.

Have visited all of the greek places before, from land based holidays - this is a good itinerary if you want to see them all in one week. Alternatively, the greek ports are good for just wandering around.

Santorini is not on this iteinerary but have seen it on others, another place I would recommend as sailing in below the houses perched at the very top of the cliffs is spectacular. Rhodes would also be worth visiting for it old town - can confirm from Rhodes to Lindos will involve a lengthy coach/bus trip - 1 hour plus in each direction. Have visited both of these on a couple of occasions but again from land based holiday.

We cruised on Oceania's Nautica 12 nights Athens to Istanbul (Oct. 29-Nov. 10, 2009). Arrived 2 days early in Athens in order to see more. It was one of our best cruises ever (we have cruised 9X). Weather was perfect (about 75 F), and the ports were not crowded. We were able to make every port including Crete, Katakolon, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Rhodes, Mykonos, Delos, Santorini, Ephesus, and Istanbul.

We either explored the ports on our own, or we arranged for private tours. We were very happy with the private tours that included:

Athens- Paul of AthensTaxi

Crete- Lefteris Nikiforakis

Ephesus and Istanbul- EKOL

Archived