Luggage Tags

lilfish7

where do you buy zipties? and when you get to said store are they actually called zipties?

250px-Cable_ties.jpg

Check out Wikipedia to be certain we're speaking of the same thing... cable tie, zip tie, zap strap, zip strip, wire tie, mouse belt, tie wrap, quick draw, or rat belt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tie

Try any household department, hardware store, KMart, Zellers, Walmart, etc. etc.

I miss the document dance when luggage tags and documents came. Yes we have gone through the cruise personalizer and picked (and pre reserved) all the excursions and I could not live without the CC Boards but oh the excitement when those wonderful documents came in the snail mail. Oh remember when you used to get travel bags, luggage tags that were colorful and lasted several years and oh yes the "real" pleather document holder. Good old days.

I miss the document dance when luggage tags and documents came. Yes we have gone through the cruise personalizer and picked (and pre reserved) all the excursions and I could not live without the CC Boards but oh the excitement when those wonderful documents came in the snail mail. Oh remember when you used to get travel bags, luggage tags that were colorful and lasted several years and oh yes the "real" pleather document holder. Good old days.

Forgot about the holder--it's been gone for at least a couple of years--I think

Nancy:D

:( So sad to hear we totally missed out on the PLEATHER document holders; we never got them on our first Princess cruise over two years ago!

where do you buy zipties? and when you get to said store are they actually called zipties?

Any hardware store, Wal-Mart, $1 stores, etc.

They are called zip ties in some parts of the country. Also called cable tie, zap strap, zip strip, wire tie, mouse belt, tie wrap, quick draw, or rat belt.

One benefit to tagging your tags before you leave home.... if you are flying to catch your cruise and your luggage is lost, your bags will clearly state their destination and will *hopefully* catch up with you. Without those tags, lost suitcases could be sent back to the home address on your luggage tags.

This sounds good...I've always attached the cruise ship tags just prior to heading for the pier. I've never put them on at the beginning of our flight. Does anyone else attach them right from home? I thought it might interfere with the airlline tag. Thanks.

Does anyone else attach them right from home? I thought it might interfere with the airlline tag. Thanks.

We have always done that with no problems. Actually Princess advises to place them on the luggage before you leave home.

The airlines would prefer that nothing be on your bag but their tag however.

Mike:)

This sounds good...I've always attached the cruise ship tags just prior to heading for the pier. I've never put them on at the beginning of our flight. Does anyone else attach them right from home? I thought it might interfere with the airlline tag. Thanks.

We used to resist putting them on until we got to our pre-cruise hotel or the pier. After reading some posts on these boards we now put them on pre-flight, often they get spotted by the check in agents, the bags get marked "Priorty" and are on the carousel before we get there or at least are early down the shute.

:( So sad to hear we totally missed out on the PLEATHER document holders; we never got them on our first Princess cruise over two years ago!

We still have ours from HAL, but now I use a multi-comparted envelope so I can keep all my documents (flights, pre-cruise hotel, rental car, cruise, excursions, etc.) in one place. I just pull out the one(s) I need for that particular activity.

I also have one of the HAL luggage tags leftover from our first cruise. Very sturdy stock, attached to the luggage handle with elastic -- not like an airline bag tag at all.

Do you still put on your cruise tags before your flight if you're going to a pre-cruise hotel? I put a copy of our itinerary on top of our clothes in each bag -- just in case. I think I'll highlight the cruise info this time.

No matter what, I'll still do the doc dance when I can print our luggage tags next week!

I have never liked the idea of attaching my luggage tags while enroute to the port city. Since I am required to have a tag on my bag with my name and home address, attaching the ship's luggage tag will just tell a potential thief that I will be gone for a week or longer and here's the address for a potential burglary.

BTW, I just returned from a cruise and had no problem getting luggage tags from a porter at the port. Two minute delay to write our names and cabin number on the tags and attach them to our luggage. I don't see any advantage to printing out tags and going to the trouble of reinforcing them to hold up for the trip from home.

I have never liked the idea of attaching my luggage tags while enroute to the port city. Since I am required to have a tag on my bag with my name and home address, attaching the ship's luggage tag will just tell a potential thief that I will be gone for a week or longer and here's the address for a potential burglary.

quote]

Who requires you to have a tag on the exterior of your bag showing your name and address?:confused:

Who requires you to have a tag on the exterior of your bag showing your name and address?:confused:

I agree... your home address could be indicated INSIDE your suitcase... but dangling outside of your suitcase offers the risk you mention, whether or not there's a Princess tag on the case.

I am now more inclined to but my name and address inside my bag ever since a bag tag of ours appeared to have been cut off by a sharp knife or box cutter by a luggage person at the pier. Fortunately we live some distance from the port and we had no problem...but it did bother me during the cruise.

Archived