Elevators - how often?

A post on another thread got me to thinking about something on our upcoming Adventure cruise. This will be our fifth cruise, and we've noticed three things about the elevators:

1. It's unbelievable how many people barge on to the elevator as soon as the doors open without letting people off first.:mad:

2. They are very crowded quite often, packed like sardines.

3. You can wait longer for an elevator than it takes to walk up or down several flights.

For these reasons we rarely use them anymore, usually only if we're going up more than 5-6 flights which isn't very often. Almost never use them going down. I feel bad older people and others who have to use them most of the time.

We've found it's so much more pleasant to use the stairs. Except for peak times now and then, it feels like you have them all to yourself compared to the chaotic elevator scenes:) I'll pass the mobs at the elevators and head for the nice quiet stairs any day:D

We tend to eat more and heavier food on a cruise than we do at home so yes, we do like to use the steps. It makes me laugh when people get on the elevator and go up one floor. I'm not talking about elderly or handicapped. One gentleman that we always saw on the top deck jogging did this and it made me laugh.:eek:

It makes me laugh when people get on the elevator and go up one floor. I'm not talking about elderly or handicapped. One gentleman that we always saw on the top deck jogging did this and it made me laugh.:eek:

One of the reasons they're so crowded and the wait times are long:rolleyes:

bouhunter, I must be getting cranky in my old age. If someone trys to barge onto an elevator that I'm trying to get out of, I will ask that person to kindy wait until we are off. Rude people really make me sick.

Rollie

I usually take one elevator trip per cruise... just to get some video of RCI's beautiful centrums! Otherwise it's the stairs for me... but that's why I tend to book rooms on the 7th or 8th deck... not too many stairs to climb for Windjammer, pool, dining room, etc. On the cruises when we've had an oceanview on the 2nd or 3rd deck (RCI Visa cruises), my legs were killing me! But hey, I'm not going to complain... I was on a cruise! :)

I cannot tell you how long the waits were for an elevator a couple weeks ago. So much so that it was preferrable to walk up/down 7 or more flights rather than wait. My limit is generally 5 flights, any more than that and we walk.

However, don't forget there are people who have a hard time walking stairs and you cannot visibly see a problem. It could be dizzy spells, it could be knee problems (my sis can easily walk up but not down) or other problems. Just please hold your criticism unless you really know.

I don't mind walking at all and will vacate an elevator if it opens and I see a wheelchair or walker waiting. If you think it's a long wait for you, just think about those people who have to wait for a nearly empty one before they can get on!

I have found the elevators on RCCL most frustrating, as only having two banks does not diversify the crowd enough, especially after a show.

The worst is debarkation, especially for self debarkation. They go UP AND DOWN full. We ended up having to carry our lugage down 7 flights of stairs.

BTW, although there are some lazy people, sometimes my knee goes out, where I cannot use the stairs. Please don;t cast aspersions when you really don't know what the situation is.

And yes, I am VERY vocal to people that don't know elevator ettiquette.

We always take the stairs. I think out of 6 cruises we have taken an elevator maybe 5 times and some of those were just to ride up the glass ones. Yes, some people have issues that aren't visible, but there are those as one poster said, who you'll see running up on deck everyday, but take the elevator between floors. We also have stairs in our house (3 story colonial) as well as stairs at work which are easily accessible. I know people who don't use stairs regularly and can't climb them when they do have them available. Short of a disability, the more you do climb stairs, the more you CAN climb stairs.

I would bet, while there are those unable to climb stairs, the majority of those using the elevators are perfectly capable of climbing them, they just don't want to. I also have issues with people who get on an elevator without waiting for people to get off. It's just common sense to let people off to make room before you barge on. Yet people look at me like I have two heads when I've said something. Some people are so self-absorbed they don't see and dont' care how their actions impact other people.

:cool: When someone tries to get on the elevator when I'm trying to get off I just keep walking until I.m right in front of them, and give them that "what do you think you're doing" look. They usually realize their mistake or they just get mad and move.

A couple of years ago we had our toddlers and would push a button for an elevator with noone around. By the time it got there, there would be a bunch of people waiting and it seemed like tey all would rush to get on before us. We'd just shake our heads and wait for the next one. :cool:

My sister, father, me and my WC bound mother had an awful time with elevators. It got to the point that one of us would dart for the door that opened and tell people to wait for my parents to get on. Then my sis and I would take the stairs. We could not believe how many rude people there were. On the other hand, before having to deal with a WC we had never realized the obstacles of daily life but would be courteous nonetheless.

My sister, father, me and my WC bound mother had an awful time with elevators. It got to the point that one of us would dart for the door that opened and tell people to wait for my parents to get on. Then my sis and I would take the stairs. We could not believe how many rude people there were. On the other hand, before having to deal with a WC we had never realized the obstacles of daily life but would be courteous nonetheless.

That's a shame. Many times, DW and I would get OFF the elevator if someone was in a wheelchair was trying to get on and there was no room.

I don't mind 2 or 3 flights of stairs (going up), but more than that is uncomfortable to my hip....going down isn't so bad.

They need LARGER elevators, so that more than 10 people can fit at a time....for the amount of folks on a ship, the elevators are teeny!

However, don't forget there are people who have a hard time walking stairs and you cannot visibly see a problem. It could be dizzy spells, it could be knee problems (my sis can easily walk up but not down) or other problems. Just please hold your criticism unless you really know.

Huh???? There's no criticism to hold.:rolleyes: I said in my post I feel bad for the people who need the elevators for having to deal with all the rude and healthy people on them.

A pet peeve of mine (if I really have one on a cruise lol) is that people will usually NOT go to the complete back of the elevator, but stop midway. I always go as far back as I can to let as many people on as possible. I have been known to ask pax to please step back so others can get on. At my age, 4 flights up is my limit but I'll walk down as far as I need to go.

if I m wearing my runners and orthotics then I will take the stairs when ever I can, but if wearing a dress and ncie shoes I usually find it painful to walk down the stairs

and eys It is annoying when when people do not let otehrs get off first or when people barge past those who are waiting the longest

we need elevator police kidding or am I

Isn't it funny how it opens your eyes! Hubby was in a wheel chair for several months a few years back due to an injury. There are many nice people out there and they far outweigh the rude ones. It made me a lot more conscious of people with disabilities.

"Please ride up, walk down when using the lift"

Still holds true! When we approach an elevator and see a throng, we merely turn and hit the stairs. Ten minutes later, never fails we will see some of those same folks just getting off an elevator...grumbling about the "crowded" elevator...they tend to forget they are part of that crowd.

"Please ride up, walk down when using the lift"

Still holds true! When we approach an elevator and see a throng, we merely turn and hit the stairs. Ten minutes later, never fails we will see some of those same folks just getting off an elevator...grumbling about the "crowded" elevator...they tend to forget they are part of that crowd.

It's all about common sense... but I think a lot of people are lacking it!:eek:

..... Short of a disability, the more you do climb stairs, the more you CAN climb stairs...... quote]

I know what you mean when you say the more stairs you climb, the more you CAN climb.

I’m asthmatic and push myself to climb stairs as much as possible. We’re usually on deck 9 and on the first day, I can just about make it up to the Windjammer. By day 2-3, I’m climbing those stairs much easier. By the end of the cruise, I can almost make it up from the upper dining room without any problems. :D

Also, as an asthmatic, I wish people would go easy on their perfume and after shave/ cologne. I’ve been on the elevator when someone, bathed in cologne got on. The scent took my breath away. I thought I was going into a full asthma attack. I pushed myself off that elevator, and I’m sure someone thought how rude I was. :(

I never understood all of the elevator drama until I was forced to use them once we started cruising with our young daughter in a stroller.

It was a nightmare. Hate to stereotype but Princess was the worst, so many of the older guests were just plain rude about a stroller (small umbrella one) coming into the elevator. They wouldn't move to create room, would make comments, we'd wait our turn only to be 'line jumped' by people jumping in in front of us!

It got to the point that if it was 2 flights or less we would carry the stroller and baby ourselves just to avoid the elevators!

Trust me though, I see it from both sides. I hated watching giant families crowd the elevator because they had one young child with them. We would ALWAYS split up and only one person would take the elevator with the baby while everyone else would take the stairs.

On our next cruise our daughter will be three and will be very happy climbing the stairs! So long elevators!!!!

we need elevator police kidding or am I

Your post made me laugh as we call my Grandmother the elevator police! Several times on our last cruise young children would be racing around the elevators playing 'elevator tag' without their parents (or manners for that matter :rolleyes:). My grandmother would point to the sign that stated under a certain age they had to be accompanied by a parent and say are you old enough to be here alone? Most of them sheepishly got off, and my grandmother even received a round of applause :D

On our last cruise, I developed a very bad foot infection and was in a wheelchair and then on crutches. People would literally push me out of the way to get on an elevator to go up/down maybe one or two flights (younger adults ,20s-40s). Now perhaps they had an issue with stairs although it would surprise me as many of the women are wearing 3inch heels or larger (I do also have bad knees and limit my heels to 1-2inches max).

On one elevator trip, two teenagers knocked me over to rush into the elevator. Thankfully there was a very strong man standing behind me who was able to catch me, and a very sweet lady on the elevator who gave them a stern lecture, had them get off the elevator AND apologize to me! :eek:

Oh well, at least we're on a cruise right?

It was a nightmare. Hate to stereotype but Princess was the worst, so many of the older guests were just plain rude about a stroller (small umbrella one) coming into the elevator.

Interesting. My only experience so far is with Princess and I didn't have any problems really with their elevators being crowded...with the exception of prime times (eg after shows). But, I'd expect that anywhere.

I more worried about my first RCI cruise since there are only 2 sets of elevators (midship and forward). Whereas Princess had 3 sets (aft, midship and forward).

Also, as an asthmatic, I wish people would go easy on their perfume and after shave/ cologne. I’ve been on the elevator when someone, bathed in cologne got on. The scent took my breath away. I thought I was going into a full asthma attack. I pushed myself off that elevator, and I’m sure someone thought how rude I was. :(

Now here is a good subject for a new thread!!! Why do people put on so much perfume anyway??? Can they really not smell it themselves? Especially the cheap stuff that smells like something flammable! Nasty......:eek:

Archived