buying a watch

MrSchwump

I would like to replace a Heuer watch that was recently stolen with a new one. I've always been skeptical about buying an expensive item out of the country. I'd appreciate any insight, tips or suggestions in this regard. I'll be visiting Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Cozumel on our upcoming cruise.

watches are one of the most popular purchases in ports. We have purchased some nice ones...I have 25+ now. If you have a specific model in mind I would recommend doing a little homework. If the watch you seek is $2000 through the dealer here in the states and you find it for a couple hundred I would be skeptical...deals like that just dont exist on brands like Tag. Often prices are set by the mgf'r and your best prices will simply be duty free.

My husband has over 60 watches - majority purchased out of the States. Best advice - know your brands and prices before you go. Jewelers can only discount watches a certain % or they lose their franchise. If you are going to the Caribbean and plan to buy a watch, take someone with you that wants to buy a piece of jewelry. While the stores are restricted in discounting the watch, they can give you a great deal on the jewelry.

Apparently you did not read my thread on how to return a watch which I started this past Friday. Long story short:

My DS and his DGF were in the Caribbean last week. He went to a store, fell in love with a watch (not too expensive) was told the MSRP was $500., but that he could have it for $323. Great deal...right? WRONG! Less than 5 hours back on the ship (which had already sailed), one of the digits on the outter band popped off. When he came home, we went to see where to send the watch (which he still loved) for repair. He went on the manufacturer's website, and there was his watch with an MSRP of $250.!!!!! Now he had a damaged watch that he paid more than 30% more than the MSRP! He went nuts (thankfully, he had a little tan, because the color had completely drained from his face).:eek:

I took matters into my own hands. Sent a scathing email to the retail store where he bought the watch, and the next morning (Friday) I began making phonecalls. I called RCCL purchase disputes, and the manufacturer's customer service. RCCL was pretty useless, telling me it would take a minimum of 3 weeks to open a case, whereas the manufacturer was very helpful, and offered to place a 3-way call to Jamaica to help to solve this problem. Other problems that came to "light" after we began going through the paperwork 1) the receipt did not have the style and model # of the watch. The Mfg. said they could NOT accept the watch for repair unless all of the correct information was on the original paperwork. 2) the salesperson put the wrong model # of the watch on the warrantee...also the manufacturer could not accept the watch for repair with a wrong model # on the warentee 3)the sales receipt from the retail store says "all sales final", and most important....when we I spoke with the manager of the store where my son purchased the watch, the mgr was VERY quick to refund my total purchase price (knowing I had the manufacturer on the phone) as they CLEARLY knew they had ripped my son off. The manager kept apologizing for the mix-up..telling me (and the rep from the watch company) that the boxes must have gotten mixed around....BS....my son told me that there was a sticker tag with the MSRP of $500. on the back of the face of the watch. Believe it or not...I got this resolved in less than 48 hours (I received a scanned email copy of the refund receipt)...and I am now waiting instructions on how to send the watch back (at the store's expense). You can find the best deal on anything that you are looking for on line. The world is way smaller these days. Once you get back on a ship after your purchase something....anything, and if there is a problem...sorry...for the most part "that ship has sailed". We have a new rule in our house now when it comes to purchases on cruises....A hundred and under. Because a purchase with a problem can ruin even your BEST vacation.

This is why I like Amazon, but, I do plan to purchase something watch or otherwise while we are away.

A friend just got back from a cruise. He bought a watch and I saw it yesterday. No idea what the brand is but it said Red Havana on the dial. It was pretty hefty and said he paid $100 for it but the seller said they did not sell batteries ( in the watches?) so he had to wait until he got back to the US port to get a battery installed and that was another $50... what the crap!

I lived in the Caribbean for 15 years , just before we sold our home I bought a Tag from Little Switzerland in St Thomas. I saved the sales tax and got a resident's discount (small). They can not cut the prices on Tags unless the style has been discontinued. If so you can get a fairly good discount. Do your homework price wise and be sure you get a valid guarantee for the US.

B.

Thanks for all the replies. I have narrowed it down to a couple of models and have an idea of what I could get them for in the US.

What about the taxes I'd pay on my customs declaration. I know you get $X duty free but what do you pay on the amount >X? I don't want to have any discount I might realize going to taxes.

Thanks again for the great input!

You get a duty free allotment. PLEASE be sure to check this info but I believe each person (including children) have a duty free exemption of $800 if they have been out of the country 48 hours and can use that exemption every 30 days.

You get double exemption when shopping in U.S. Virgin Islands.

although I cant imagine they would question a watch that you are weariong when going through customs...how would they know that you just purchased it. With the number of pax going through customs there in such a short period of time they cant really afford to check every little thing like that

although I cant imagine they would question a watch that you are weariong when going through customs...how would they know that you just purchased it. With the number of pax going through customs there in such a short period of time they cant really afford to check every little thing like that

The customs guys give you a good once over as you walk up. LOL watch them. They look right at your wrist as you walk up.

I don't know how they could prove you didn't buy the watch at Macys last month, but those guys are good at what they do. Just declare it and be done with it.

I don't know how they could prove you didn't buy the watch at Macys last month, but those guys are good at what they do. Just declare it and be done with it.

There are some interesting burden-of-proof issues at work here. CBP provides a form for the "Registration of Dutiable Personal Articles" before you depart the USA (form 4457). Technically, you are supposed to register items before you leave to prove that you had them before you went overseas and did not acquire them while gone. Your failure to have a registration could weigh against you.

Trust me....they look, and they know when something is "new".

Given the low rates of duty on the first $1000 over your base exemption (3%), I would rather declare than face the potential problems if stopped. Remember, your declaration is under oath, so misrepresent at your own risk.

Bought Tag in Mexico 5 years ago. It has been very good watch. We purchased at a

authorized dealer store.

I would suggest that you price watches in USA as prices can be the same or even better.

We did not do our homework on price at the time.

There is a very large Ok City jewelry store that has been in business for since 1892 that is a very HONEST jewelry. Check with them for a TAG price.

I had a buddy who got busted trying to wear his new Movado into the country coming from Europe. He'd stashed the receipt inside the lining of his suitcase and they found it and he was fined accordingly. I'll pay the 3%!

Customs has no way of knowing where your jewelry came from. Unless there's a tag on it, you could have bought it anywhere.

At any rate, the allowance is fairly generous....few purchases will throw you over the limit.

Supposedly, we are innocent until proven guilty. Sure, here in Fl if you don't get your jury summons you get a bench warrant issued and have to sweat in front of judge who will rule in your favor if he's in the mood. This mind you, with no proof of delivery of any sort to show that you got it.

Don't mess with customs, it's not worth it.

I bought a diamond watch in St. Thomas at AH Riise, and I did my homework first. I knew the exact model, so that made it easy to compare. I saved $1200 from what I would have paid for it here in Ottawa (as all of us Canadians know, the exchange rates that are factored into prices are highway robbery) and I checked out the same watch at a high end jewellery store in Orlando, and the price was still about $600 difference. I made sure I had all the warranty info and purchased from an authorized dealer. Most of the 'deals' online are not from authorized dealers - you cannot get it serviced by the manufacturer.

As for customs, what if you wear one watch and had another in your luggage.. both watches or other jewlery for that matter that you brought with you? Will they try to charge you for your personal belongings? What if it looks new?

I've been questioned about my jewelry a lot.

I always carry the info. on a watch my DH purchased in St. Maartin with me.

The customs people have a very good eye as far as "new" jewelry and watches is concerned.

You also can register cameras, watches, jewelry, etc. before you leave the US. So what happens to you if you get "caught." I think the fines for breaking the law are quite severe, much more than the tiny amount of duty if you go "over."

It's not worth it to smuggle.

Since you know exactly what you want, and it's not a weird brand you can price it in G Cayman. However, I don't think any savings you see will be worth the bother. Did you have the lost watch insured? If so for sure just buy it in the states.

I had a buddy who got busted trying to wear his new Movado into the country coming from Europe. He'd stashed the receipt inside the lining of his suitcase and they found it and he was fined accordingly. I'll pay the 3%!

I have a friend who asked the shop to mail the paperwork/receipts to him. They never did :D

Archived