Need Advice on excursions....

ESfromaustin

First timer (duh)....I'd love some of you experienced cruisers to give me some advice. DH(53), DD(16), DD's friend (16) and me (46) will be on the Conquest in March and this will be our first stop. We get to Mont. Bay at 9 and leave at 6.

Is it best to book our tour prior to our trip? Is it better/better value/safe to book a local tour company instead of what is offered by the ship? Which excursion would be the "best bang for our buck?" We want to do something fun and something that would show us the beauty of Jamaica. Will we have enough time to get back to our ship?

Help, please! Thank you!!

I will say that IMO, if you don't book some type of excursion (private or through the ship), I wouldn't get off the ship. Walking around in Montego Bay (if you go outside the fenced port area and take a cab or bus into town) is not fun unless you like being harassed. Jamaica is beautiful if you get outside the city.

Being your first cruise and first time to stop in Jamaica, I would recommend a tour with the ship. If you are interested in an active excursion, Dunns River Falls is pretty popular and I think your teens would especially like it.

1st, get a guidebook on your ports...read it before you start booking excursions, whether it's thru the ship or privately. Some things, you won't need any excursion for...it may be easy to do on your own.

Read up on Jamaica...then, you can pick the perfect excursion for you! (and, in Jamaica, an excursion is probably the best way to go!)

But do a bit of research before you start spending money on things that might not please you!

There are cheaper ways to book excursions than through the ship, but the ship excursions are the easiest and give you some security in that the ship isn't going to leave without you.

Also and this is important as a first timer and going to Jamaica I would take the ship excursions. Jamaica is not a safe place to do things on your own.

If you are an otherwise experienced traveller, you can book privately. If you are truly a noobie, book through the cruise line until you get the feel of things. One big advanatage is if you book through the cruise line they will wait if your excursion is delayed. If you book on your own & you are not back in time, the ship will sail without you. :eek:

Booking earlier guarentees you will get what you want. Some tours sell out.

Two years ago we went to Jamaica. Our ship docked in Ocho Rios though. The island is beautiful, but a bit intimidating. The locals can be very pushy. We ended up booking a tour with Pete Taylor who is a local guy who gives tours. I found his name on CC. He did a great job and made us feel very safe. He took us around the island and dropped us at Dunn's River Falls for awhile. It was a very memorable place to go. Very cool to climb a huge waterfall! Your teens will love it! If you go there...water shoes are a must!

I agree with the other poster who said don't get off the ship unless you have something booked. Booking through the ship is a safe but...but we did fine booking on our own. I contacted Pete by e-mail and he was waiting for us at the pier. Good luck and have a great time!

Dunn's falls is a long way from Montego Bay (Mo Bay) and I would not try it. The roads in Jamaica are narrow and they drive like complete idiots. Riding with them on longer tours can be hair raising at best. There are pretty places around Mo bay that are much closer. Jamaica is not the place to wander around on your own. Take a tour whether it be a ship's tour or private tour. If you go with a private tour do your homework first to make sure the tour company is honorable. Jamaica has the highest crime rate in the Caribbean and police presence is minimal. You may well be offered drugs. Don't buy them. I would go with a ship's tour for the first time. For once a large group of pax is safer.

I don't know what other ports you are going to visit. Most other ports offer decent private as well as ship tours. Do your homework if going on a private tour.

Private tours can be much cheaper. Ship tours can be very crowded. Look at the Ports of Call section on this board, and find Jamaica. There will be a ton of great info.

I have always booked private tours, but I do research ahead carefully. Last year when we did Jamaica, we climbed Dunn's River Falls - very pretty, and a lot of fun. When you leave, remember that you are not forced to exit thru the market stalls. Keep to your left, and you will avoid many agressive salespeople. We willingly went into the market area, and found some fun souvenirs. Kathy

Lots of good advice above. I'd just add that booking through the cruise line, something I think is a good idea for first timers, is no guaranty that the ship will wait if your tour is delayed. They will undoubtably try but circumstances may dictate otherwise.

I just booked a private snorkeling tour on Grand Turk for our cruise next week. I'm excited about not being in a crowd of party people on the cruise-line booked snorkel trip...

However, I got it "in the ear" from my dad, who is a 3-cruise veteran about going private. He gave all of the advice you heard on this thread - like the cruise ship waiting for you if you're delayed, etc. I've also heard that if your excursion sucks, the cruise line may refund your money, give you shipboard credit, etc. Pay attention to "if you don't show up" clauses in your tour agreement. Deposits might be forfeit if the ship doesn't dock, or if you are personally ill on the date of the excursion, etc. The ship-based excursions are a bit better about being understanding about these things than private excursions are.

Anyway, my dad relayed a story to me about a person he met who was on a dive trip - the divemaster got p.o.ed at him because he was swimming too slowly. Apparently, the divemaster went back to the boat, pulled up anchor and left him. He made it back to shore, but by that time, his ship had sailed, leaving him stranded on the island.

I don't know where this was, or what company the dive was with, but that kind of nightmare tale made me somewhat apprehensive about our trip. However, I've heard good things about our dive company from these boards, so I'm comfortable with our arrangements.

Just make sure you have some kind of understanding of the company you're booking with, their reputation, etc.

Also, I'd consider making sure I had my passport and an emergency credit card on my person at all times, especially in a foreign country. It'd make getting home or to the next port with alternate transportation possible, rather than impossible.

I would not take your passport. If you are really nervous, take a copy of your passport. If you have the #S it will be easier for the embassy to help you but they can help you even just with the ID you have; you are required to bring your driver's license & ship's card.

We had a bad experience with a privately booked trip on our last cruise. That vendor refunded our money.

Don't over think this but do your homework & be smart about your decisions.

Have you checked out the Ports of Call board here in CC? There is a TON of great information there. The easy way to get to that board is through the Forum Jump dropdown box at the bottom of this page. Go to Ports of Call and then to Jamaica. I have used recommendations from these boards for years and have never had a problem with one of their highly recommended independent excursions. I just make sure that I also check the times of their excursions so that I get back to the ship about 1 hour before sail away time.

These tour operators depend on our good word to keep them in business. The good ones help watch out for each other if there is a problem.

With that in mind, you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Have a great cruise!

Archived