Shopping in European Ports

yorkiemomjn

We are taking a cruise in April 2010 (Our first Oceania cruise & our first Mediterranean) and I would love to have some suggestions of nice souvenirs/gifts or shops at the following ports: Barcelona, Velencia, Mallorca and Monte Carlo.

I appreciate any input. Thanks and happy cruising!

Judy

We are taking a cruise in April 2010 (Our first Oceania cruise & our first Mediterranean) and I would love to have some suggestions of nice souvenirs/gifts or shops at the following ports: Barcelona, Velencia, Mallorca and Monte Carlo.

Judy

In Valencia Lladro pottery would be good but maybe difficult to transport home.

In Mallorca, possibly Majorca (imitation) pearls are the most famous.

Anywhere in Spain pottery or linen are good things to buy.

Hi yorkiemom, Barcelona is quite a lovely city with shops all over of all different sorts. I'd suggest you visit some of the interesting places in the city either on your own, on the hop on hop off bus etc and stop into some of the shops you see along the way. It is hard to tell someone else what to buy since everyone is different.

My sister buys refrigerator magnets and little souvenirs for her grandchildren. I like to buy local handcrafts and postcards/books that show places where I could not take my own photos. We looked at some Lladro pieces but didn't buy as the euro/dollar exchange was not good and shipping was too difficult.

Enjoy your trip!

Lladro -- that reminds me.....

About 30 years ago, my mom and I were doing a tour through Spain and France. She bought a VERY large LLadro figurine (around 15" tall, 2 figures together) in Valencia and ended up carting it around for the next 8-9 days in her carry-on bag. Luckily it survived.

Barcelona has lovely shoes and other leather goods if you're shopping for yourself. Also nice scarves.

We buy Christmas ornaments (or when we can't find an actual ornamament, something that can be hung on the tree) wherever we go. It is such a nice reminder of our trips every year when we decorate the tree. This year almost the entire tree was done with our "travel" ornaments.

I also buy jewelry! When we were recently in Italy, I got 18K earrings, in Hawaii I got a unique pendant that said Aloha but you couldn't just see the word, it was a shadow kind of thing. So, in other words, something unique or specific to the country.

Happy shopping!

We buy Christmas ornaments (or when we can't find an actual ornamament, something that can be hung on the tree) wherever we go. It is such a nice reminder of our trips every year when we decorate the tree. This year almost the entire tree was done with our "travel" ornaments.

I also buy jewelry! When we were recently in Italy, I got 18K earrings, in Hawaii I got a unique pendant that said Aloha but you couldn't just see the word, it was a shadow kind of thing. So, in other words, something unique or specific to the country.

Happy shopping!

What lovely ideas you have! I often look for crib figures for Christmas, and have picked up a few in Italy, and in the Caribbean. We always look in cathedral gift shops for unusual gifts like that.....must remember the Christmas tree one!

I usually buy sandals in Spain, and sometimes a handbag. It's famous for all kinds of leather goods. In Mallorca, there's a lot of tourist tat near the beaches, but some grand shops in Palma. Of course, it's fans and castinettes anywhere in Spain, but the real ones are very expensive, and the cheaper ones are probably made in China.....jocap.

We are taking a cruise in April 2010 (Our first Oceania cruise & our first Mediterranean) and I would love to have some suggestions of nice souvenirs/gifts or shops at the following ports: Barcelona, Velencia, Mallorca and Monte Carlo. I appreciate any input. Thanks and happy cruising! Judy

Since in this area and other parts of the Med one of the most popular items is pottery, I would suggest bringing along some bubble wrap to help as you pack and bring back those items. Unless you've got the bigger budget for jewelry, etc., pottery tends to be one of the better values for this region.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

This is one of my favorite things to buy as a memento - lightweight, easy to pack, and practical. I wear scarves often, and so am often reminded of my travels.

My mother like to buy tea towels, for similar reasons.

Yes, I love scarves. Just today I was wearing one from Istanbul. :D Only problem is that I've developed a Missoni scarf addiction from shopping in Rome.

Yes, I love scarves. Just today I was wearing one from Istanbul. :D Only problem is that I've developed a Missoni scarf addiction from shopping in Rome.

Cynthia....I'm like you, but sometimes the bargains are what drives me....just finished packing, and I've included some crushed silk scarves- almost wraps- from Livorno market. They were a stupid price, like e9!-:cool:jocap.

Judy

I wanted to thank everyone for all the great responses to my request for shopping ideas! Please keep 'em coming. I love this topic!:)

Judy

Archived