Room service tips included in pre-paid gratuities?

Someone posted this on the newest tipping thread, but I thought I'd ask separately because I never thought of this before. If you pre-pay gratuities, do those get doled out to the room service folks as well, or should you still pay a tip each time you get room service? I always assumed those tips were separate.

Sorry to start another tipping thread...

It's just like tips on drinks which can't possibly be pre-paid either. What about the people (like me) who've never ordered room service? Or the people who (gasp) don't order any drinks? Most people usually give 'em a couple of bucks in cash.

It's just like tips on drinks which can't possibly be pre-paid either. What about the people (like me) who've never ordered room service? Or the people who (gasp) don't order any drinks? Most people usually give 'em a couple of bucks in cash.

Well, that's what I've thought all along, but another poster on another thread said that he/she didn't tip for room service b/c it was included in pre-paid gratuities. In all the gazillion tipping threads, I've never seen that, so I was confused. It seems like it should be the equivalent of a specialty restaurant as well.

As for not ordering drinks, I just don't understand that concept, so I'll go with the specialty restaurant parallel instead! :D

Well, that's what I've thought all along, but another poster on another thread said that he/she didn't tip for room service b/c it was included in pre-paid gratuities. In all the gazillion tipping threads, I've never seen that, so I was confused. It seems like it should be the equivalent of a specialty restaurant as well.

As for not ordering drinks, I just don't understand that concept, so I'll go with the specialty restaurant parallel instead! :D

Back in the 90s I would go a whole cruise drinking nothing but iced tea and MAYBE one pina colada.

*****!?

The folks who deliver room service are kitchen staff--they are NOT part of the "tipped employees" that are included in the recommended tip plan. Tip them as used!

Come on cb! Stop with the inaccurate posts please. The wait staff rotates doing room service just like they do in the Windjammer and dining room for breakfast and lunch. We've had our head waiter deliver our room service morning coffee more than once. We've also had our assistant waiter deliver our room service lunch to be enjoyed on the balcony. (We still tip room service extra though.)

PLEASE if you don't know what you are talking about skip a couple threads. Don't make crap up!

Come on cb! Stop with the inaccurate posts please. The wait staff rotates doing room service just like they do in the Windjammer and dining room for breakfast and lunch. We've had our head waiter deliver our room service morning coffee more than once. We've also had our assistant waiter deliver our room service lunch to be enjoyed on the balcony. (We still tip room service extra though.)

PLEASE if you don't know what you are talking about skip a couple threads. Don't make crap up!

As posted they are DINING ROOM staff. While it is appreciated it is NOT necessary.

I have been wondering about all of this too! We looked at our pre payed gratuities and we are paying extra than what it adds up to, so I am wondering if it is included! I wish it was made more clear! We were just thinking of ordering breakfast in once for a change, but not sure what to do?:confused:

I have been wondering about all of this too! We looked at our pre payed gratuities and we are paying extra than what it adds up to, so I am wondering if it is included! I wish it was made more clear! We were just thinking of ordering breakfast in once for a change, but not sure what to do?:confused:

How much are you paying for your prepaid tips, it should add up to $9.75US, if you're not staying in a suite?

We are not in a suite. We are in a inside cabin! We are paying over$12

"Q: What are gratuity guidelines for cruises?

A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest (ignore because you are not in a suite)

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Notice to Guests: Gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise "

Hope this helps!

###

Wow, Amybeth, I thought I was the only one who has never ordered room service !!! Glad to know I AM NOT ALONE !!! lol

I have, however, ordered lots of drinks!!!

Wow, Amybeth, I thought I was the only one who has never ordered room service !!! Glad to know I AM NOT ALONE !!! lol

I have, however, ordered lots of drinks!!!

I'm never in my cabin long enough to order room service. I'd rather be among the people. And if I REALLY wanted to eat in the cabin, I'd go to the WJ and get stuff since there's a lot more to choose from! :)

"Q: What are gratuity guidelines for cruises?

A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest (ignore because you are not in a suite)

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Notice to Guests: Gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise "

Hope this helps!

###

Yes I have read this. We are going to call today and find out why we are being charged more. I'll try to write later what they say. Thanks

Thanks Fred.

As posted they are DINING ROOM staff. While it is appreciated it is NOT necessary.

Look at it this way. say $2.50 of your daily service charge for "tips" goes to wait staff. That is SUPPOSED to cover three meals a day, where ever you happen to have them.

Now let us suppose that you have your three meals and you order from room service 5 times a day. early coffee, snacks drinks etc.

That $2.50 was NEVER meant to cover all those trips from the kitchen to your cabin and the subsequent PICK UP of your tray from your cabin.

Also on many ships it is OFF DUTY service personnel that bring these to earn extra money.

So yes you should be tipping for room service.

Ok, so we paid in Canadian and they are saying that it is the exchange to USD that made our gatuities higher, but that exchange rate would mean it was about 25% and it should be less than 10% so it still doesn't make sense. RC says that the IT department sets it up in advance and they don't know how they come up with the numbers. We could go to our TA and get the gratuities back and pay in USD when we get there and then it would be an acurate exchange rate. I guess we had origanlly booked MTD and then changed to MD and that is why we pre payed.

Does this mean if we change to MTD on the ship, the gratuities would be higher? :confused::(:rolleyes:

If you pay in cash at the end of the cruise, who do you hand it too? How do I know it is divided to everyone that is supposed to be tipped?

It goes on your room card, which goes on your credit card then they divide it up, or you can get envelopes and hand it out.:)

Archived