Balcony or No Balcony

kandlwed

Hi,

We are just getting ready to plan our first European cruise. We are really wanting to go for a Greek Isle itinerary. This will not be until summer of 2011, so we have a bit of time to book since there is not much out yet. We were all gung ho about getting a balcony since this would be our first time in this area, but the more we look at the itineraries and time frames...should we save the $$ and just get an inside cabin since there is not really much time of sitting around in your cabin?

Thanks!!

Lara

Hi, We are just getting ready to plan our first European cruise. We are really wanting to go for a Greek Isle itinerary. This will not be until summer of 2011, so we have a bit of time to book since there is not much out yet. We were all gung ho about getting a balcony since this would be our first time in this area, but the more we look at the itineraries and time frames...should we save the $$ and just get an inside cabin since there is not really much time of sitting around in your cabin? Thanks!!

Lara

It's all about budget and the realities of considering your various "TRADE-OFFS". How large and flexible is your budget? Would you rather spend that money on a balcony . . . OR . . . on doing better/nicer shore tours, extra wine at dinners, etc. You are correct that many of these Greek Isle cruises are fairly port intensive, so you're are mostly out and about in the port during the day. Or, on most ships, they have lots of pleasant open deck areas where you can nicely enjoy the sailing in and/or sailing out. If you get a balcony, it does not guarantee that the room you pick will always have the best views on your side. If you are out on the open deck, you can move from side to side as the best options are available. I do lots of pictures and enjoy being on the top deck to allow maximum flexibility to get the best visuals when not in port. Another option might be an outside facing room with larger window than just a small port hole. Not sure I would want to do an inside room with no window. It's nice to be able to check quickly what things look like outside.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I'll be the first to admit that I enjoy a balcony on a cruise. But when I started looking at the prices for balcony cabins on our upcoming Princess Greek Isles cruise, I had to pause and rethink.

I ended up booking an outside "obstructed view" cabin that was about $1800 ($900 per person) less than a balcony cabin. For that amount of $$$, we can stay extra nights on each side of our cruise, in Rome and Venice, which is well worth the trade-off to me.

I think this is an area where eveyone has to add up their own personal pros and cons. Many, many people have posted that they just wouldn't cruise without a balcony. For me personally, it's the ports and not the ocean-watching that I'm most excited about, so I'm happy to go with the oceanview room.

I agree, if you avoid July and August the prices might be a bit lower, and you can afford that balcony. I would not cruise the Med in mid-summer if I could possibly help it.

I love a balcony, especially if there are sea days, or sea time. If it's extremely port-intensive, it's not so important, but I would never do an inside cabin. Even if you don't use your balcony, having the floor-length window is a nice feel, but again, if you're just using your cabin to sleep after busy port days, not much point.

Hi,

We are just getting ready to plan our first European cruise. We are really wanting to go for a Greek Isle itinerary. This will not be until summer of 2011, so we have a bit of time to book since there is not much out yet. We were all gung ho about getting a balcony since this would be our first time in this area, but the more we look at the itineraries and time frames...should we save the $$ and just get an inside cabin since there is not really much time of sitting around in your cabin?

Thanks!!

Lara

IMHO it all comes down to your budget and what you enjoy and value.

If you have to give up some private tours to have a balcony I'd say go inside. My recollection was the price difference between an inside lower cabin and a good upper balcony comes to as much as a grand difference, that can pay for 3-5 private tours for each person.

Yeah its nice to sit in the privacy of your balcony for a sailway and I can but I found that there was plenty of balcony space high up with great views on our sailways, YMMV.

Obstructed views I guess are okay if you get them as an upgrade and its nice for natural light, but I'd never pay for them up front.

We opted for an obstructed view cabin on our first Mediterranean cruise in 2008, and it was fine because we only sleep, shower and change in our cabin.

In 2009, we received a great upsell to a balcony cabin for our second cruise, and we enjoyed it. However, in adding up the time I spent on our balcony on our very port-intensive cruise (just one sea day), we probably were out there for a total of two hours or so on a 12-night cruise.

So definitely not worth the extra money for us unless a great upsell is offered.

I would rather spend my vacation dollars elsewhere on the trip!

Just another opinion. My first two cruises were in an ocean view, and being the ignorant first timer, it was great.

My third cruise I got a bargain on a mini-suite (with a balcony). I've never looked back. If I couldn't afford a balcony, I wouldn't cruise. I cruise more for the ports. I'm not a "ship is the destination" type person. I don't do trivia games, lectures, art auction, etc. I do play bingo, and go to the shows, but the rest of the time, I sit on my balcony with a good book and watch the ocean go by. I wouldn't be happy trying to find a seat on the open decks to do that.

So it's whatever makes you happy. You are the only one that can decide if you want a balcony or not. Everyone else can only tell you what is good for them.

Balcony!!! If you can afford it there is no other way to go. We have done several cruises and have always gotten a balcony. We did a 20 day cruise in the Mediterranean (including 3 Greek Islands)and we loved sitting on our balcony every single day. On days at sea it is so peaceful to be away from the crowds and sit and read on your balcony. We would order room service and eat on our balcony.

Hi Lara,

Watch the cruise line "sales" like a hawk and then do what your budget will allow-but keep in mind that airfare and tours REALLY add up. And if you are planning to extend the cruise pre or post in hotels, that gets very pricey too. Subscribe to the various cruise lines to get their sales via e-mail. Case and point-We booked our Sept 2010 Greek/Med cruise back in August, 2009, when Princess e-mailed us a "two for one" sale. The price we are reserved for is less than half of what they are currently chargine-so be vigilant about checking prices and when you see a good deal jump on it-sometimes if you wait is isn't there the next day.

We have done balconies previously, but are using the cost difference to pay for airfare this time. Wwill jsut have to spend more time on the open decks!

Good luck whatever you choose!

Check websites, if you have an ID sign in. I received one price on the Princess website for our cruise but when I signed in, it dropped 400.00pp. Also, they offer great deals, we were able to book a balcony for the same price as an ocean view. We did not want an inside and the only obstructed views available were fully obstructed not partially. We have 3 sea days and decided to take advantage of this deal. Also, on Princess, if they do offer additional deals on the cruise you have booked and you haven't paid in full, they will honor those new deals if it saves you money. If you do book an inside, put the TV on tuned to the station that is a bridge cam and gives you a look outside.

Archived