Texting

roger001

What's the specifics on cost reference texting? Situation Verizon. On board NCL ships. Turn on phone and text. Is the cost just 50 cents send and 5 cents receive as advertised or is there an additional roaming or ship connection charge? On shore, Mexico, Belieze, etc. Just the advertised per text charge or additional roaming charge also for phone being used? Anyone know the specifics? I've read this discussion before but never quite saw a specific answer. thanks.

What's the specifics on cost reference texting? Situation Verizon. On board NCL ships. Turn on phone and text. Is the cost just 50 cents send and 5 cents receive as advertised or is there an additional roaming or ship connection charge? On shore, Mexico, Belieze, etc. Just the advertised per text charge or additional roaming charge also for phone being used? Anyone know the specifics? I've read this discussion before but never quite saw a specific answer. thanks.

I've always found my cell phone provider to be the best source for information on costs associated with the use of my particular device, on my particular plan, with my particular discount(s), on my particular network...

Call verizon, DO NOT RELY on anything you read on the boards, verizon has hundreds of rate plans and only you and verizon know yours.

We use TMobile and when we were on a Baltic cruise last summer, we texted all the time. It was 35 cents a text, and NO additional charges. Much cheaper than the phone rates calling form Europe. We did call TMobile to verify this several times before we left and after we got our bill, everything was corroborated.

Cheers

Len

I signed up for an International Data Plan and got unlimited data service, so I could send & receive email--and I am able to text through email. I had Verizon turn off my texting entirely while I was away, because I had been told that you get charged for every text your phone receives, whether or not you open it. The data plan is $64.95/mo vs my $30/mo regular plan, but you can sign up and cancel whenever you want. I figure it cost me an extra $9 for the week at sea, and it was well worth it!

Thanks. Yea, Verizon hasn't been able to explain exactly what does happen reference possible extra charges. That's why I would rather hear it from someone who has actually tried the system. I've used texting on a couple of cruises before, noticed extra charges on my bill, but unfortunately didn't investigate more fully at the time.

I did get and answer back fro Verizon today reference this issue. It is as follows.

Dear Roger ,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless via our Website, my name is Nisha and it is my pleasure to assist you with the International text rates are while roaming. I know your time is important, and I am so sorry for the delay in my response to you.

Roger, Wireless Cruise Ship Service allows Verizon Wireless customers to make and receive voice calls and text messaging on select cruise lines while at sea using their own all digital or tri-mode CDMA mobile phone and mobile telephone number.

Text messaging rates are $0.50 per address sent and $0.05 per message received. If you do not use your device for voice calls you will not incur the $2.49 per minute rate.

If Verizon Wireless has an agreement with the Foreign Port the same rates will apply.

For information concerning Wireless Cruise Ship coverage and rates, please visit the following link:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

If the cruise line you will be traveling on is listed and you would like to use this service, please call Customer Service at 800-922-0204, or airtime free from your wireless phone by dialing *611 (Send) to enable your account for Wireless Cruise Ship Service.

I make it my personal goal to address all of your wireless concerns. I hope I have done that for you today by providing you with information on the International texting rates. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Nisha

Verizon Wireless

Archived