Stay at airport or in city

What A Market

Staying in Rome post-cruise for a couple of days. I am looking for input on whether to stay in hotel in Rome proper or get hotel near airport (FCO) on my last night. Details: 8:00AM flight on a Monday morning at the end of May. My preference would be to stay in Rome for my last night, but concerned about traffic to airport early Monday morning. Thanks for comments.

If you stay in Rome then you can make the most of your two days. You can stay up a little later and enjoy it tio the very end.

You can pre-arrange a ride to the airport from the hotel (tons of options and perhaps the hotel even has a service). It will cost 50 to 60 Euros. That is the standard night fare.

There is very little traffic that early in the morning in Rome. They do not start work at 8 or 9 AM like we do here so the rush hour(s) are later.

Ok, this is tough to address since I just posted on a different thread and told someone to stay in Rome. But, if you have an 8am international flight (non-EU) out of FCO this means you should be at the airport by 5:30 (6 would be stretching it). This means you would need to be out of your hotel by around 4:30 am! At that hour there will be very little traffic moving out of the city. As much as we love staying in Rome this is not a formula that would make us happy campers. Whenever we have an early flight out of FCO we spend the night at airport Hilton which is connected to the terminals by a covered walkway. It's a tough decision!

Hank

I would definately stay in Rome...nighttime in Rome is magic. Our flights out of FCO have usually been early in the morning. Last time we stayed in town. On the eve of our flight, we stayed in town all day, had dinner, and then took an evening train out to the airport. Our hotel was very near the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

For an 8 AM flight, I would stay near the airport. Have a last night in Rome by all means, but sleep near the airport, and grab a couple of extra Z's before the grueling flight day. You don't want to be worrying about traffic accidents with such an early flight. Just my $0.02.

I would stay at the airport for just the last night. When we left London last time, it was an early flight as well. We just checked out bags at the hotel we were staying in that week after we checked out. We went out to the dinner, enjoyed the night, etc, and then grabbed our bags and got to the airport hotel late. We didn't feel we missed out too much in London that last night and it was much less stressful the next morning.

Well, it should have been less stressful, minus my new-DH forgetting his ring on the nightstand. Thankfully we did stay at the airport since he had just enough time to return and get it before our flight, but hey that's another story....

We made the decision to spend our last night n Venice at the airport hotel, and I am so glad we did. This was for a 7:15 AM flight, and Venice does not have 'traffic' per se, but it was still the right decision. We enjoyed the city all day and took the vaporetto to the airport at about 8 PM. Flying days have their own stresses and that was one we could eliminate.

Cathy

Archived