How bad are the PICKPOCKETS? How to avoid them?

Litehouse9

We're using PacSafes and hidden wallets, etc.

But I have a question about using a (deliberately) clear backpack. I have 2 kids, a 4YO and 1YO. The baby will still be on bottles by that time (I think). Instead of bringing a diaper bag, I'm thinking of packing all the baby bottles, diapers and snacks in a completely clear backpack with the zippers tied together by craft store pipe cleaners.

My thoughts for doing this are 2 fold:

(1) If I bring an opaque diaper bag, the thieves might mistake that for something important and I don't wanna get "robbed" when they try to grab the strap

(2) If it's clear, they can just figure out if they feel like pickpocketing it (which presumably they won't). It really is just diapers, bottles, baby wipes, juice boxes.

What do you think?

The "real" stuff will not be in this backpack.

Bag, backpacks, and other items carried, are usually cut with knives, or boxcutters. Really, as long as money is keep safe you will be okay. I once a had a bag cut, but all that was in it was a bottle of water.

The crowd in the subway laughed at the theif, and my water botter was put back inside the bag. It was my error, using the subway,in a bad area that was over crowded. Don't worry I have been to Spain many times, and this was the worst that happened. You should not have problems, as in most cultures, the respect for children and their mothers is great.

Bag, backpacks, and other items carried, are usually cut with knives, or boxcutters. Really, as long as money is keep safe you will be okay. I once a had a bag cut, but all that was in it was a bottle of water.

The crowd in the subway laughed at the theif, and my water botter was put back inside the bag. It was my error, using the subway,in a bad area that was over crowded. Don't worry I have been to Spain many times, and this was the worst that happened. You should not have problems, as in most cultures, the respect for children and their mothers is great.

Thanks. Do you have certain metro stations you recommend avoiding?

Please enlighten us as to which area! I am already a nervous wreck about traveling here in any kind of public transport!

I've got myself a Pacsafe slashproof purse that also has an RFID-proof slot for credit cards. I'm trying it out in Lisbon next week, and then in Barcelona in the fall. It will be firmly over across my body, held in front, with all the extra locks in place.

To the mom with the diapers--your system might work, who knows? Having baby bottles prominently displayed sounds good. Perhaps just looking like an organized mom would do the trick--after all, you'll have your kids with you, so maybe they'll leave you alone(!?) Just make sure your money and credit cards are safe and accessible without fumbling.

Please enlighten us as to which area! I am already a nervous wreck about traveling here in any kind of public transport!

You don't want to be a nervous wreck when traveling. If you are, take taxis and keep your money inside your clothes in a money belt. I wear a Geni Bra when site-seeing and shove my daily spending money inside it. Easy in and easy out for me but not for the pick pockets...LOL!

Ok I have never cruised but have one coming up in Europe I however been to Europe and Barcelona a few times.Barcelona is a stylish city try not to look like a tourist you do not need to carry a packpack full of stuff.

Leave your valuables in your hotel safe ,carry cash in your zip up pockets

maybe one credit card and a photocopy of your licence or passport.

I carry a phone / compact camera and cash thats it ,wear cloths that have button down or zip pockets ( for the record shorts make you look like a tourist of the beach in Barcelona)

It is important to look asertive but not aggressive if you look aware of whats happening around you the pickpockets will know and avoid.

Regards

Anton

Hi

I wear jeans / cargo pants and a shirt in this part of the world I button my phone in one shirt breast pocket and a small camera in the other and carry cas in my pants pocket thats it Barcelona is a great city and its residents dress well so think trendy casual

What does everyone do about cell phones and cameras. I hate traveling w/o a phone in case there is an emergency.

I have a small PacSafe bag that holds my camera and phone, and my husband has a small messenger bag for his phone and camera as well, both worn cross-body. We also have lightweight jackets with security pockets inside for carrying cash and passports when we just arrive somewhere. After we are settled in a hotel, we use the safe for cash and passports.

We spent several days in beautiful Barcelona, walked all over, rode the metro, took cabs, and were out day and night without any problems. We have used our bags in many other cities as well throughout Europe and Asia, and never had problems. I think if one is cautious and does not leave a bag across the chair in a restaurant, or put a bag down to stop and shop or look at a map, you will minimize the risk.

You don't want to be a nervous wreck when traveling. If you are, take taxis and keep your money inside your clothes in a money belt. I wear a Geni Bra when site-seeing and shove my daily spending money inside it. Easy in and easy out for me but not for the pick pockets...LOL!

What is a Geni bra?

On my cruise two years ago to Europe, there were two different people on the ship who wore cargo pants to port (one in Rome, one in Mallorca), and both had things stolen out of their cargo pants pockets.....

I bought a "cut proof" camera strap (i.e. the strap has thin metal inside and is hard to cut) and wore camera around my neck on this cord... I also tied a sweater around my waist, and around the camera cord.

I had been having bloody nose problems, so put a huge wad of kleenex in my pants pocket, which had a snap. In a store while I was busy browsing art books, a very nicely dressed gentleman in a suit (looked like a banker), bumped into me, then hurried off... I then discovered my wad of kleenex was missing. He pickpocketed my kleenex!

Just be very careful... there are many pickpockets in So. Europe, and they are very clever. :(

On my cruise two years ago to Europe, there were two different people on the ship who wore cargo pants to port (one in Rome, one in Mallorca), and both had things stolen out of their cargo pants pockets.....

I bought a "cut proof" camera strap (i.e. the strap has thin metal inside and is hard to cut) and wore camera around my neck on this cord... I also tied a sweater around my waist, and around the camera cord.

I had been having bloody nose problems, so put a huge wad of kleenex in my pants pocket, which had a snap. In a store while I was busy browsing art books, a very nicely dressed gentleman in a suit (looked like a banker), bumped into me, then hurried off... I then discovered my wad of kleenex was missing. He pickpocketed my kleenex!

Just be very careful... there are many pickpockets in So. Europe, and they are very clever. :(

That's funny. Imagine the thief's surprise when he pulled apart your wad of kleenex.

I gave up on cargo pants a few years ago. Then, For a few years I wore a travel vest with lots of zippered pockets. I stuffed so much stuff in that vest, it served as a carry-on. But it got heavy on my shoulders and looked pretty goofey so I gave up on that too. Trial and error.

The best scam I know of in Barcelona is the gypsies and baby one. A couple women approach with a baby wrapped securely in a blanket. The woman holding the "baby" tosses it at the mark. When the unsuspecting tourist reaches out to grab the baby the other woman grabs her purse and they run away. Of course, the baby is a doll. Haven't heard about that much lately, but a few years ago, it was pretty popular. Maybe the police are being more vigilant.

Google "Genie Bra" and you'll see what Chelly is talking about. I wear a bra similar to that style but I think I'll look into these...

A good friend of mine wears one and stuffs her cash and credit card in one side and cell phone in the other. It's funny when her phone rings. And that's right here in town....LOL. Occasionally, I see her reach in and pull out her car key. True story! She'd kill me if she knew I posted this one line. Anyway, she is the one who gave me the Genie Bra tip, but of course it needs to be roomy.

Apologies for going off topic. I'll stop now:D

Ladies the Genie Bra saved us when my husband was robbed during our trip to Barcelona last December. I had money and debit card in my bra, the pickpocket got my husbands wallet and my smart phone from a zippered breast pocket on my 6'3" husband!

Genie bras don't need a cup size they expand to fit small or large and since the coverage is like a tank top there is lots of storage space. I even keep my smart phone there, it doesn't show and I never miss a call. I got my first ones at Bed Bath and Beyond 2 in a box for 20.00. Most comfortable bra I've ever worn!

Ladies the Genie Bra saved us when my husband was robbed during our trip to Barcelona last December. I had money and debit card in my bra, the pickpocket got my husbands wallet and my smart phone from a zippered breast pocket on my 6'3" husband!

Genie bras don't need a cup size they expand to fit small or large and since the coverage is like a tank top there is lots of storage space. I even keep my smart phone there, it doesn't show and I never miss a call. I got my first ones at Bed Bath and Beyond 2 in a box for 20.00. Most comfortable bra I've ever worn!

Luvpoodle, Thank you ever so much for posting this. I began to feel odd about my postings praising the Genie Bra as a means to keep valuables safe. I also buy mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. They are a bargain. The sales clerk suggested I buy a size larger that I thought I'd need. She was right. The bras tend to run small. However, Bed & Bath is great about bra exchanges.

Thanks so much for such valuable information, ladies!

These pickpockets are very, very clever it seems. :eek: I'm going to seriously look for deterrents on magellan's website. wallets and such.

I was on their site last night and they even have a product for jet lag!

Thanks so much for such valuable information, ladies!

These pickpockets are very, very clever it seems. :eek: I'm going to seriously look for deterrents on magellan's website. wallets and such.

I was on their site last night and they even have a product for jet lag!

I tried their jet lag pills on a very long flight to China, and didn't see any effect. My husband and I starting calling them the placebo pills, and had a good laugh about them though!

Speaking of good laughs, I watched one couple in Barcelona, with the wife trying to get money out of the husband's neck pouch while he had it around his neck, as they stood on the sidewalk blocking the foot traffic. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Does anyone know if cell phones are a specific target? We will be traveling to Italy, my teenagers keep their iPhones in their back pockets.

While phones would be harder to get out of pockets I would not keep anything in my back pocket in Italy. Whatever is in the pocket the pickpockets are not going to know if it is a wallet or phone and back pockets are the easiest to pick. That is just asking for it.

Archived