How bad are the PICKPOCKETS? How to avoid them?

Litehouse9

Can you tell me where you bought the "under your pant nylon bag that clips on to the waist of your pants"? I've been looking for something like this. I'm taking DD to Barcelona in September and will stay 3 days pre-cruise. The discussion about pickepocket makes me worried. I guess carrying a purse wouldn't be a very good idea.

Thank you.

http://www.magellans.com/

We are just back from a trip that included Paris, Rome, and several days in Barcelona. There we did not encounter any problems even though we participated in a street festival on the Parel.lel on one Saturday. Others we encountered were not so lucky, however; one lady reported having her purse snatched after she put it on the ground at a sidewalk cafe (bad idea) and another gentleman reported twarting pickpockets on two different ocassions. We did not experience any problems, but did take most of the precautions mentioned above.

There is a little bit of work on everyone's part try to make sure you do not fit the profile of a tourist to the pickpockets. Don't dress like a tourist. That article mentioned earlier does make sense. Yes, I know you are on vacation, but do you want to be comfortable or safe? Yes, I'm not just talking about Americans looking like a bad tourist. I've seen all nationalities looking pretty sad out there. Look like you know what you are doing, walk with a purpose. Don't stop to look at your map or tourbook out in the open. Don't take a long time to look at the Metro map. Things like that. Basically, function just like you do in your hometown. Look comfortable in your surroundings.

I have to say that I never think about the pickpockets. I've traveled as a solo woman, also, and I have never felt unsafe in Europe, Israel, and Canada. I did feel unsafe in Washington, DC, and Philadelphia. I don't do the under-clothes money carriers. I just use my purse or daypack. I have heard that some pickpocket/thief groups actually look in the tourist areas for people using those (like when you go buy something and have to pull it out), so they know who to target. So, just be aware of your surroundings...

THe bag I always carry when we travel is a concealed carry bag made by a company called "Maxpedition"

Yes, it's made specifically to carry a concealed firearm.

Regarless of your views on said subject, the draw (no pun intended) is - there's a Hidden pocket that zips that is closest to your body. If I am actually carrying "valuables" - like passport or wallet - that is where I stash those items. THe larger compartment I keep maps, sunglasses, etc. in. Additionally this bag is made to be worn "cross body" and you can get it in left or right handed styles. It also comes in a waide array of colors - though it did not when I bought mine years ago - so I just have the basic black.

IT's a bit ore than I would normally spend on a bag - BUT - it's been SO handy I'm glad I spent the money to get it.

the bag I have is the Jumbo Versipack and can be viewed here:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/JUMBO-S-TYPE-VERSIPACK-4p54.htm

Here is another manufacturer of travels bags:

Travelon http://www.travelonbags.com/

Our local luggage store had some Pac Safe bags, I looked at them, and was not excited at what I saw. I ordered the Travelon and used in on our recent Med cruise. Worked out very well.

Since you've seen them both, could you explain what you liked about the Travelon's over the PacSafe? I received a PacSafe bag I ordered from Amazon yesterday. I went with this particular bag because there was more info on the PacSafe website and more reviews at Amazon but I looked at the Travelon bags, as well. Then I made a stab in the dark. :)

When I compared the two PacSafe bags (City Safe 100 and 200) I thought that 100 was too small and the 200 was too big. Now if there was a 150 I would have been happy :D.

The Travelon was as close to a 150 as I could find. I thought that the Travelon had a flatter bottom than the PacSafe. Just a personal preference. Also the Travelon was a little taller and the PacSafe a little longer. You can compare the dimensions of both and compare.

Gotcha, I was just wondering if there were features that were absent or if the materials were nicer, etc. My mom took the CitySafe100 on her last trip, and I thought it was a good size for her needs (touring during the day) but I can see why you might want a slightly larger bag.

• 2 years later...

Wish I knew how to start a page where everyone going on a cruise could review all the tricks these con artist uses to catch you off guard, if anyone of you out there knows how to do it please do so.

We just returned from a 20 day cruise today sadly to report my husbands wallet stolen in Barcelona. The thief squirted us down with liquid chocolate then ran up like a concerned citizen trying to help us clean up meanwhile he took my husbands wallet from a zippored breast pocket!

We learned that squirting with chocolate, mustard, etc. is an old scam, but it was new to us and all it takes is one time.

People should have a commopm ground to report the different things to be aware of.

• 1 month later...

I have a freind who set her purse down on the floor between her feet at a restaurant in Barcelona. It was stolen. Today's news gives an indication why thefts may be so bad in Spain. Unemployment.

1/24/2013: Spain unemployment rate hit a record: youth rate at 55%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21180371

and

1/24/2013: Spain’s Unemployment Rate Rises To 26% In Fourth Quarter Of 2012; Over Six Million Jobless

http://www.ibtimes.com/spains-unemployment-rate-rises-26-fourth-quarter-2012-over-six-million-jobless-1035952

I have a freind who set her purse down on the floor between her feet at a restaurant in Barcelona. It was stolen. Today's news gives an indication why thefts may be so bad in Spain. Unemployment.

1/24/2013: Spain unemployment rate hit a record: youth rate at 55%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21180371

and

1/24/2013: Spain’s Unemployment Rate Rises To 26% In Fourth Quarter Of 2012; Over Six Million Jobless

http://www.ibtimes.com/spains-unemployment-rate-rises-26-fourth-quarter-2012-over-six-million-jobless-1035952

While unemployement in Barcelona is pretty bad........Barcelona has had the pickpocket problem for many years. Years before their current economic problems.

All it takes is one time! In the last 18 months we've been to Spain and Italy three times and loved it but this past December in Barcelona on a very wide boulevard I had my back squirted with chocolate. I didn't know what had hit me I was looking up in the trees wondering what happened. a well dressed man came over offering his bottle of water and kleenex to help me. My husband who was lagging behind arrived, I noticed he also had his back marked. The man told my husband to take off his jacket and hand it to me so I could wipe off his jacket. My husband had his fully loaded (big mistake) wallet in a front zippered breast pocket, as he was taking it off he heard "zip". The guy took off running, he had the wallet and smart phone. Within an hour he charged a lot of purchases all right under $100.00. The police took us to the police station where we had to stand in a line of Americans reporting thiefs. The police wouldn't help us get back to the cruise ship even though all my husbands money had been stolen, fortunately I had money in my bra. Genie bras are my safe travel companion.

Pick pockets are bad. Talked with a man who was pickpocketed this trip in Spain. Also- my son was the victim of a pick pocket in Madrid. She didn't get anything because all he had in his pocket were his gloves and I guess she didn't want them!

My son is 12 but looks older. He said an old lady bumped into him and he felt her hand go into his jacket pocket. So this happens.

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona (in 2005) and felt nothing. So they are good at it.

My advice would be do a tour through the cruise line. I personally think you are better off. If you did get pickpocketed- you have a local person with you who would know best how to handle this type of situation. I've actually yet to hear of anyone who was pickpocketed on a tour. I also zip my things in my inside pocket or wear a little cross the body purse under my jacket. This is why traveling in non summer months is safer- because it is harder for the pickpockets to get to your stuff.

Several people on our cruise were pickpocketed-- 2 in Barcelona, 1 in Rome, and 2 in Mallorca. One man had his wallet in a below-the-knee pocket of his cargo pants.... took a public bus and GONE! We saw an American woman in a cafe in Barcelona jump up and scream "get that man, he just stole my purse!" (she had hung it on the back of her chair).. sorry.. he will never be found, nor will your purse!

I had a huge wad of folded kleenex in my front pocket (I had been getting nose bleeds)... it was pickpocketed! I had to laugh at that one.. a man in a beautiful suit and tie bumped in to me, gave me an "I'm sorry Senora, forgive me" pat, then fled. :mad:

My hubs and I each purchased a "cut proof" neck pouch. Kept money and passports in there. I put mine UNDER my clothes, also PINNED to my bra strap. Plus I tied a sweater around my waist, which would make it almost impossible to access my pouch. I kept a few bucks in my front pocket for postcards, etc.-- if they stole that, well it was only a tiny amount.

They are clever, brazen and EVERYWHERE in Europe! Watch out.. many are well dressed, look like professional business people. They get you when you get on a bus, a subway, are shopping, are distracted, are watching a show (like a Mime), etc. Be so very careful.

All I can say that I travel every week to Barcelona for ages, and I haven´t been pickpocketed. Many times I have cruised out of Barcelona, and as an Spaniard tend to get the tube from SANS Station to the port. Any problem at all. Just being alert as you would be in any other place.

• 3 weeks later...
Several people on our cruise were pickpocketed-- 2 in Barcelona, 1 in Rome, and 2 in Mallorca. One man had his wallet in a below-the-knee pocket of his cargo pants.... took a public bus and GONE! We saw an American woman in a cafe in Barcelona jump up and scream "get that man, he just stole my purse!" (she had hung it on the back of her chair).. sorry.. he will never be found, nor will your purse!

I had a huge wad of folded kleenex in my front pocket (I had been getting nose bleeds)... it was pickpocketed! I had to laugh at that one.. a man in a beautiful suit and tie bumped in to me, gave me an "I'm sorry Senora, forgive me" pat, then fled. :mad:

My hubs and I each purchased a "cut proof" neck pouch. Kept money and passports in there. I put mine UNDER my clothes, also PINNED to my bra strap. Plus I tied a sweater around my waist, which would make it almost impossible to access my pouch. I kept a few bucks in my front pocket for postcards, etc.-- if they stole that, well it was only a tiny amount.

They are clever, brazen and EVERYWHERE in Europe! Watch out.. many are well dressed, look like professional business people. They get you when you get on a bus, a subway, are shopping, are distracted, are watching a show (like a Mime), etc. Be so very careful.

They are not EVERYWHERE in Europe! They are also in your country and also in the whole world!

They are not EVERYWHERE in Europe! They are also in your country and also in the whole world!

Pickpocketing has practically died out in the USA. Instead you have grab and run thefts of electronic devices. Smartphones and Tablets. Nothing subtle like pickpocketing.

As for Europe I noticed them in Italy. Not in Scandanavia, Germany, UK or Ireland. Will be in Barcelona in October which has a reputation for a pickpocketing problem.

Last year in Barcelona as we were leaving a taxi in the main part of town the taxi driver warned us about a group of people standing near by. He sees pick pockets every day. I took to keeping my wallet in my front pants pocket and used a strong safety pin to close the top of the pocket. I couldn't even get my hands in the pocket. Just something to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a woman, late 60's, travel solo. I NEVER carry a purse while sightseeing, especially in Barcelona. I wear a money belt inside my clothes and stuff a small amount of cash in my bra for taxi, etc. I make sure my hands are free at all times, walk with a purpose with head up. I occasionally do the safety-pinned-pocket trick too.

Before trip, I convert $200 to local currency so I won't be distracted using ATM at the airport. I grab my luggage at the carousel and quickly make my way out to the taxi stand, never letting go of the luggage. In the taxi I sit in the middle of back seat and if I'm feeling really paranoid, I have taxi driver place luggage in back seat with me instead of taxi trunk. Oh, I never pull out cash or hotel directions until I"m seated in the taxi and it is moving.

I've got my routine down pat. Never had a problem personally, but have witnessed pick pockets and thefts. Be alert and all will be fine.

Also be aware with purchases, we witnessed a lady sitting down and putting her carrier bags next to her, a man sat down next to her and while she was distracted, stood up, casually picked up her bags and walked off by the time she realised he had run off down he street.

Janec16

We spent a month in Italy last year. I used a Pacsafe Metro 200 and I would recommend them very strongly.

It was obvious to me that there were two pickpocket attempts made, but the Pacsafe features thwarted these attempts. I lost a sunglasses case also, but it was on a day when I had a very heavy cold, so I might have just left the case somewhere.

I am intending to buy a Pacsafe Metro 250 for this years trip and give the Metro 200 to my husband.

Some of the features include:

Metal under the surface to prevent slashing

Metal edge bands in the shoulder strap

A clip lock in both the main pocket and the front pocket

a detachable shoulder strap so you can wrap it around a table leg

a wallet pocket on the side closest to your body.

Also take only as much cash as you might need. Split your money up and put in different pockets, Safety pin all pockets where you have your cash. Also pay attention to at all times and of course don't let anyone invade your space.

Don't wear your showy jewelry. DON"T LET FEAR KEEP YOU FROM EXPERIENCING BARCELONA> Great City.

I wear the scottevest all around. It isn't even easy for me to access the pockets and there are even a few secret pockets. I felt my wallet, camera, passport, phone, cruise ship card, etc. were really hidden.

Cool story: I was at a presidential rally in Oct. and of course had to be screened by the secret service guys. I took off my vest to have it go through the scanner and the agent asked to look at it. He declared it very cool when I had to show him how to access the secret compartment for my camera. Said he never saw anything that effective. google scott evest if interested. I got mine new on EBAY.

I agree that traveling in the cooler months has advantages. Here is what I do (besides my evest). I carry my "non-important things" like guide books, water, pocket money, etc. in my Rick Steve's Civita Day bag. This is really nice for places that don't allow backpacks as it is small like a purse but has a million pockets.

Another issue: the high tech thieves can now walk by you with a scanner inside their pockets and "get" all your credit card numbers and codes from the magnetic strip, transfer onto a hotel card and you won't know because your card never left your wallet. So, get a shield that protects your credit cards. Get a larger size for your passport also since yours likely has a chip embedded in it. Check out some websites and youtube videos to see what I'm talking about. These scanners cost only about $25.00. I use the shields on all my cards.

Another interesting thing: those "old beggar ladies" with the headscarves that cover their faces in Europe are usually young women or even men. I did some research on these people when I noted that the one person's very deformed limb that was shown appeared to be a prosthetic device. Hmm.

I wear the scottevest all around. It isn't even easy for me to access the pockets and there are even a few secret pockets. I felt my wallet, camera, passport, phone, cruise ship card, etc. were really hidden.

Cool story: I was at a presidential rally in Oct. and of course had to be screened by the secret service guys. I took off my vest to have it go through the scanner and the agent asked to look at it. He declared it very cool when I had to show him how to access the secret compartment for my camera. Said he never saw anything that effective. google scott evest if interested. I got mine new on EBAY.

I am a Scottevest fan. I own the Travel Vest, the Fleece 5 and 7 and the Standard Jacket.

Archived