How bad are the PICKPOCKETS? How to avoid them?

Litehouse9

I keep reading about Pickpockets in Barcelona, Rome and Naples. It does worry me some. I have read that they even have razor blades that they can slice a neck cord and grab, or slice open the bottom of a purse/bag and grab the contents. :mad:

I am also worried about my luggage being grabbed in the airport. Anyone have any good tips to help avoid being taken by them?

I would hate to have my Passport stolen the day before I leave on the cruise.. and the ship not allowing us on, because we don't have our passports! Or have my clothes stolen.... I am not a small size, and would find it hard to replace clothes on short notice.

Thanks for any tips, ideas. :)

Sorry I don't have any advice, but have been worrying along the same lines.

Will keeping your money, passports...and documents/tickets in the inside zippered part of a jacket be safe? Basically thinking of when we arrive at the airport. I usually carry all of these in an across body purse...but am now concerned that even that may not be safe.:eek:

I take the approach of reasonable precautions, not insane ones. And I was just in Rio which has a reputation for rampant crime (and we saw none.)

A purse across the shoulder, or over the head and one arm should be fine. A zipper closing is better. If you are very fearful, buy a purse that has metal in the strap, so it can't be cut off. Keep your passport in your purse and then put it in the safe in your hotel, along with unnecessary cash and credit cards.

When out and about, watch for diversions commonly used by pickpockets. I keep a tight hand on my purse in a crowd, especially.

As for your luggage, just keep a hand on it once you retrieve it, and an eye on it when travelling into town. Lock your bags as well, as soon as they come off the luggage belt at the airport. Don't pack valuables in checked luggage (I know, this is tough right now.)

If you take the same precautions, in general, that you would visiting New York city, or any other large North American city, you should be fine.

A purse across the shoulder, or over the head and one arm should be fine. A zipper closing is better. If you are very fearful, buy a purse that has metal in the strap, so it can't be cut off. Keep your passport in your purse and then put it in the safe in your hotel, along with unnecessary cash and credit cards.

This is not always safe. I was pickpocketed in Barcelona from a purse that was zipped and carried cross body. They took my wallet and I never even knew it. Was not "bumped" or spilled on -- just very good stealth operators.

To the OP -- just take a sensible approach. Buy a money belt or bra stash and use it. When you're not actually en route, leave valuables in your hotel or cabin safe.

Just back from the Jade and one of the people in my party was pickpocketed in Barcelona. She always had her purse across her body with her hand on it. But, as she was pushing the door open to our hotel, some girls came up behind her and took her wallet. Fortunately, she got it back, but they had already taken out the money. Best solution has to be a money belt or a neck pouch.

My luggage wasn't stolen, it just never arrived. I am also not a small size and getting clothes was a chore. Finally found some on day 5 of the cruise in Athens. Oh, the joys of traveling! By the way, it still was a great cruise.

As a Spaniard I travel many times to Barcelona, even monthly. I have never had anything stolen. I travel with my suitcase on the tube to get down the port when I go to the port, and no problem at all.

There are pickpockets of course, but it´s a bit exageration. Just take care, but don´t be obsessed.

I am over 60 years old and have traveled to Barcelona and Rome with absolutely no probs! You need to have some street smarts and most of all awareness of your surroundings!

I carry my money,credit card in a travel wallet around my neck and UNDER clothing. I don't take ALL my money with me each time I go out. My across the body purse is only for guide book, map, glasses etc.

Most people are just fine in all these cities and we only hear of the ones who have had probs so don't worry, just be aware!!

We were in Barcelona before our Jan 24th cruise. Having read all of the posts here about pick pockets etc. we were prepared and took the precautions that are usually recommended.

1) split your money/credit cards

2) don't take all of your money/credit cards with you when you go out and about

3) use some sort of traveller's wallet (money belt, around the neck wallet) etc.

We were fine. We saw people we believed to be professional thiefs, but were not bothered. We did notice them going after the "weak in the herd"

By that I mean, if you're condifent, walk upright and with a purpose, and appear to be of sound mind...chances are you'll be left alone.

If you're awes struck, appear to be overwhelmed and not aware of your surroundings, have trouble saying NO! or are drunk or are unsure of your route and where you are going...and willing to partake in their street games/magic tricks/shows for the crowd...they'll go after you.

We loved Barcelona, and after our experience we believe precautions are important, but just as important is your attitude, self confidence and body language.

...We were fine. We saw people we believed to be professional thiefs, but were not bothered. We did notice them going after the "weak in the herd"

By that I mean, if you're condifent, walk upright and with a purpose, and appear to be of sound mind...chances are you'll be left alone.. . . but just as important is your attitude, self confidence and body language.

I used to work for a company with several locations in a rather crime-ladden area of a major US city. I always told my direct reports who had to travel to those locations to 1) carry only what you really need, 2) split it up, 3) watch your surroundings, 4) look confident, and 5) look like you really wouldn't be worth robbing.

I use this advice while travelling as well. So leave the designer bags, flashy clothes and big jewelery at home (or at least on-board/in the hotel safe).

We spent a couple of days in Barcelona prior to our recent Med cruise. Even though I grew up in New York and am a city kid through and through, the posts I'd read on here before we left about pickpockets in BCN had me pretty concerned. We are typically careful travelers, and so we tried to be even more so in BCN.

I bought a PacSafe bag for my camera, and my partner bought a large PacSafe purse. We carried these across our bodies (not on our shoulders), in front. We left our passports and most of our cash in our hotel safe. We each carried a different credit card, with a third back in the safe. We kept a small amount of cash available in the purse, and some additional cash as well as copies of our passports in one of those little waist packs you wear under your clothes. We did not have any valuables in any pockets.

We periodically reminded each other that if someone bumped us, or spilled something on us, or in any way touched or came up to us, it would likely be a scam. Fortunately, nothing like that happened.

One morning, as we entered the Metro, my partner had her purse across her body but hadn't yet moved it back in front of her chest after going through the turnstile. A police officer motioned to her to put it in front of her. That was a real eye opener and a good reminder (not that we needed one) that this city has a real problem.

We had a trouble free visit, helped no doubt by the fact that it was the "off season" (late January). But even then, Las Ramblas was so crowded I can't imagine what it must be like there during the busy season.

The tips that posters have put up on here are good ones. Be alert, use common sense, and have a great trip!

The way I keep my wallet from being stolen is by not taking one.

My husband and I both use a hidden pocket

( http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2008/09/review-eagle-creek-hidden-pocket_3047.html )

In it we keep our passport, credit cards, money

We both wear pants with multiple pockets, at least one of which has a zipper. We'll spread some small amounts of cash around the multiple pockets, and follow up with some tissues or even a bottle of water in our pocket. If we need a credit card, the hidden pocket is easy to 'swing' out and access

My purse holds, as a previous poster mentioned, only my reading/sun glasses, maps, paper, pen, tissues (toilet paper) and stuff like that

The way I keep my wallet from being stolen is by not taking one.

My husband and I both use a hidden pocket

( http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2008/09/review-eagle-creek-hidden-pocket_3047.html )

I clicked on the link, but am having trouble visualizing where this hidden pocket goes, and how it is secured to your body. In particular, how is it different from the hidden waist pack? Would appreciate the info... Thanks!

I clicked on the link, but am having trouble visualizing where this hidden pocket goes, and how it is secured to your body. In particular, how is it different from the hidden waist pack? Would appreciate the info... Thanks!

Click on the photo of the product, scroll down and read the description.

It fastens to the belt and slips inside the pants; similar to hidden waist pack.

You can either have it hang from a belt (there is a black look and a brown loop, depending upon what color your belt is). It also comes with a large 'diaper pin'. That's what I use. I pin it inside my waist band

As for how it differs from a waist pack, this hangs just inside your pants. I find that a waist pack, to be truly hidden, must go under my shirt, between the shirt and my body. If I want something out of it, I have to pull my shirt out.

If I need something out of the hidden pocket, I reach in with my right hand (I hang it behind my left pocket), grab it, and swing it up and out of my pants. It is now in front of me, waist high. The zipper is then horizontal and it is easy to unzip and take out what I need.

Then, to replace it, I suck in my stomach (LOL) and let it drop back down inside my pants.

Hope this helps

I have been targetted by pickpockets in Barcelona and Seville. The first time in BCN, I was in the covered market off the Ramblas carrying one of those woven Greek bags. When I came out, I noticed that the bag had been slashed. They didn't get anything because I had a thick street map between the bag wall and my purse, but I hadn't felt a thing. On a later trip, I was more aware. Be especially vigilant on the Ramblas. I became aware that we were being followed, so I crossed into the middle, back to the pavement etc and the man followed each time. In the end, I just stopped and turned and stared him out and he went off. In Seville, I was walking down the street, shoulder bag with my hand on the strap. I dropped my hand for some reason and to my surprise, I touched the hand of the woman behind me which was about two inches from the clasp of my bag. She was as surprised as I was, even more so when I shouted "Ladron" (thief) at the top of my voice. Everyone in the vicinity turned round and she and her accomplice fled. I live in Spain. I don't look like a tourist, yet I was targetted. Take the advice given here and make it impossible for pickpockets to take advantage of you. That said, you are unlikely to be mugged or held up at knife point. The crime is petty crime not violent.

Sorry to hear that Ainhoa, but I think it can happen everywhere in Spain. A cousin of mine was stollen in Gijon. Does it make Gijon a dangerous spot?. There are pickpockets in Galicia which is pretty safe. Just take care, look around but nothing too concerning in Barcelona.

Sorry to hear that Ainhoa, but I think it can happen everywhere in Spain. A cousin of mine was stollen in Gijon. Does it make Gijon a dangerous spot?. There are pickpockets in Galicia which is pretty safe. Just take care, look around but nothing too concerning in Barcelona.

How do you then account for th very long lines around the police station in Barcelona of people wanting to report crimes?

Never seen them that long in any other city.

I don´t normally compare lines, in the police stations unless I suffer a crime. So no ideas of how long are the lines in the police stations of the cities I visit. Except in the quiet Strassbourg, where I saw a knife close to my gut I don´t think it´s a very accurate way to measure the crime rates. Barcelona has many police stations.

I do insist, that of course there are crimes, but not as to be matter of major concern if taken the necessary precautions.

A list of the TEN most dangerous cities in the world

The Mexican city Ciudad Juarez is featured on number 1, with 130 murders per 100.000 habitants.

The ranking continues:

2. Caracaz, Venezuela

3. New Orleans, United States (!!)

4. Tijuana, Mexico

5. Cape Town, South Africa (!!)

6. Port Moresby, Paua New Guinea

7. San Salvador, El Salvador

8. Medelin, Colombia

9. Baltimore, United States (!!)

10. Baghdad, Iraq

Wowww, Baltimore. Impressive

Ten most dangerous one in Europe

1) Moskova (Russia)

2) Bucuresti (Romania)

3) Tirana (Albania)

4) Nottingham (UK) WHAT¡¡¡¡

5) Sarajevo (Bosnia-Herezgovina)

6) Belgrade (Serbia)

7) Sofia (Bulgaria)

8) Madrid (Spain)

9) Lisabona (Portugal)

10) Chisineu (Moldova)

Many would disagree, I have got my doubts.

Yes, Nottingham shot up the lists due to some gangs who managed to arm themselves, so there were shootings, which are fairly rare in the UK, and I believe that the police were carrying guns on the streets for a while, which is unheard of in Britain. It was a kind of drug war, I believe.- jocap.

Keep all valuables in a money belt or bra stash, and you will have no worries. I never carry a pocketbook in Europe.

Pardon my naive, what is a bra stash and where can you buy it and what does it look like? and money belt, what can you buy it also? Thanks.

I take the approach of reasonable precautions, not insane ones. And I was just in Rio which has a reputation for rampant crime (and we saw none.)

When out and about, watch for diversions commonly used by pickpockets. I keep a tight hand on my purse in a crowd, especially.

As for your luggage, just keep a hand on it once you retrieve it, and an eye on it when travelling into town. Lock your bags as well, as soon as they come off the luggage belt at the airport. Don't pack valuables in checked luggage (I know, this is tough right now.)

If you take the same precautions, in general, that you would visiting New York city, or any other large North American city, you should be fine.

I am over 60 years old and have traveled to Barcelona and Rome with absolutely no probs! You need to have some street smarts and most of all awareness of your surroundings!

I carry my money,credit card in a travel wallet around my neck and UNDER clothing. I don't take ALL my money with me each time I go out. My across the body purse is only for guide book, map, glasses etc.

Most people are just fine in all these cities and we only hear of the ones who have had probs so don't worry, just be aware!!

We were in Barcelona before our Jan 24th cruise. Having read all of the posts here about pick pockets etc. we were prepared and took the precautions that are usually recommended.

1) split your money/credit cards

2) don't take all of your money/credit cards with you when you go out and about

3) use some sort of traveller's wallet (money belt, around the neck wallet) etc.

We were fine. We saw people we believed to be professional thiefs, but were not bothered. We did notice them going after the "weak in the herd"

By that I mean, if you're condifent, walk upright and with a purpose, and appear to be of sound mind...chances are you'll be left alone.

If you're awes struck, appear to be overwhelmed and not aware of your surroundings, have trouble saying NO! or are drunk or are unsure of your route and where you are going...and willing to partake in their street games/magic tricks/shows for the crowd...they'll go after you.

We loved Barcelona, and after our experience we believe precautions are important, but just as important is your attitude, self confidence and body language.

These above (as well as many others in this thread) are talking sense. I just wanted to add a tip to put photocopies of the photo page of your passport in every luggage/bag you travel with.

When I was in High School I visited Paris during a home-stay and I left my wallet -- passport and all other photo ID contained therein -- in a fast-food joint on the Champs-Elysees. (I did eventually get the wallet back, which is another story.) However, due to my parents advising me to have the photocopies of my passport's photo/info page, I was able to get a replacement passport in less than an afternoon at a US Consulate.

While that was over 20 years ago and today's security environment may or may not make the speed of this situation repeatable, I firmly believe that by having that info to match/retreive what was in their computers (as they had the starting point of my passport number, a copy of my signature as it appeared on my passport, and at least a photocopy of a photo of me!) made it a little easier for them to issue that replacement passport.

Also, back then I carried traveler's checks (does anyone still do that?? :rolleyes:), and I had a list of the check numbers in another bag, so I was able to call American Express and get those replaced in a matter of hours.

Archived