How bad are the PICKPOCKETS? How to avoid them?

Litehouse9

Not to fan the flames or anything, because I believe in general, if you are somewhat careful (no reason to be paranoid, but be sensibly careful, of course), you can travel such cities safely....

BUT, that said, being aware of the scams out there can be helpful in avoiding them, so... check out this site for tales of pickpocket/scams in Barcelona: http://jon.es/barna/scams.html

Some fellow CC cruisers were targeted for a scam last July. There were staying at the Hilton Diagonal Mar, and when leaving the hotel, two men approached them with badges, stating they were the police and they had to search their backback for drugs. You all know how this is going to end. . .$300 taken. And, believe me, these cons are professionals. This couple was so shaken up thinking that they would be hauled off to jail, it never crossed their minds to think that it was a scam, until a few hours later when they realized that the money was missing.

I have read through this entire thread, and appreciate all of the great tips. As I was shopping for a Pacsafe bag......I ran across a company that sells them but also has an amazing amount of advice on traveling by a security expert. The company is Corporate Travel Safety. Their prices for items also seemed very reasonable as I have been looking at prices for certain items for a long time. It truly is a great site!

Linda

• 2 months later...

Not my proudest moment, but I was pickpocketed on the metro in Barcelona. I had a cross-body bag that contained a pouch with 20 or 30 Euros, one credit card and my driver's license. I had my thumb through the ring on the end of the zipper beneath the flap of my purse AND through the ring on the end of the purse strap -- I was trying to form a "lock" on the zipper and to remain aware of my purse by keeping my hand on the zipper all.the.tiime.

As I tried to exit the car at my stop, someone in front of me physically prevented me from leaving the car. He just STOPPED and blocked my way....and at the same time, a person behind me bumped me quite hard into the man who was blocking my way. I was wedged between the two of them and (in reality) unlikely to fall, but my instinct was to grab a railing to stabilize myself. In grabbing the railing, I let go of the "lock" I had created on my purse strap -- the railing was to my left an the purse was on my left side.

I knew immediately what was happening. It was over in less than two seconds -- my purse was unzipped, and the small pouch containing the cash, credit card and license were grabbed while I was busy trying to avoid falling. After my "donation," the man who had bumped me from behind shoved me off the train onto the platform and the doors closed almost immediately.

In spite of the fact that there was some physical aggression involved, there was not a split second when I felt that I was in any sort of physical danger. I knew that I wasn't. But that's when I learned to make sure that my bag only contained water and maps, and that important items should be on my body. I also learned to look for purses that have locking mechanisms or could be adapted to lock. My current purse has leather tassles on the end of the zipper pull that I knot around the strap of the purse -- it's a pain to untie the knot, and the zipper won't open until it's untied.

Still love Barcelona......

Not my proudest moment, but I was pickpocketed on the metro in Barcelona. I had a cross-body bag that contained a pouch with 20 or 30 Euros, one credit card and my driver's license. I had my thumb through the ring on the end of the zipper beneath the flap of my purse AND through the ring on the end of the purse strap -- I was trying to form a "lock" on the zipper and to remain aware of my purse by keeping my hand on the zipper all.the.tiime.

As I tried to exit the car at my stop, someone in front of me physically prevented me from leaving the car. He just STOPPED and blocked my way....and at the same time, a person behind me bumped me quite hard into the man who was blocking my way. I was wedged between the two of them and (in reality) unlikely to fall, but my instinct was to grab a railing to stabilize myself. In grabbing the railing, I let go of the "lock" I had created on my purse strap -- the railing was to my left an the purse was on my left side.

I knew immediately what was happening. It was over in less than two seconds -- my purse was unzipped, and the small pouch containing the cash, credit card and license were grabbed while I was busy trying to avoid falling. After my "donation," the man who had bumped me from behind shoved me off the train onto the platform and the doors closed almost immediately.

In spite of the fact that there was some physical aggression involved, there was not a split second when I felt that I was in any sort of physical danger. I knew that I wasn't. But that's when I learned to make sure that my bag only contained water and maps, and that important items should be on my body. I also learned to look for purses that have locking mechanisms or could be adapted to lock. My current purse has leather tassles on the end of the zipper pull that I knot around the strap of the purse -- it's a pain to untie the knot, and the zipper won't open until it's untied.

Still love Barcelona......

Wow, this is erring on the dangerous side of mugging. It's really a shame that you can't go on vacation without having to endure situations like this. DD and I will be in Barcelona in November and I have no plans to take the metro (here or any other European city for that matter). I will probably end up buying a cheapo point and shoot camera just for cities like these. If that gets taken, no biggie.

While the crime level obviously does not deter tourist, the police need to do more to deter crimes like this in the first place.

I just arrived home from a trip to Italy and Greece. I was very concerned about pick pockets as my son spent 4 months in Rome and 2 of his friends...both girls, lost all of their money and passports in similar incidents, one in London and the other in Athens. You need to be especially careful at the train stations as they are crowded and things happen fast. I didn't have any problems in Athens, Rome, or Naples but prior to my trip, I checked out the pac safe website and bought a neck pouch and computer bag for my ipad and other valuables including camera. They are both slashproof, zippers are tamper proof, and the computer bag has a lock which can go through all of the zippers as extra security. This bag is built like fort knox.....they would have to knock me over and steal it, which would probably cause too much noise. The neck bag can go right underneath your shirt/blouse and is really not visable.....the neck strap is slash proof. I put my passport, money, credit cards, copies of my credit cards and passport in the neck pouch....this came everywhere with me. I did not even leave it in the safes in the room as sometimes they are not very safe either. I did carry a messenger bag/small purse and carried a few euro's and tissues etc...they would probably go first for that bag and if they wanted it they could have it. I felt much better knowing that all my bags were secure. We had a great time.

The neck bag can go right underneath your shirt/blouse and is really not visable.....the neck strap is slash proof.

I tie the neck strap to my bra so the bag hangs down my side and below my belt which is tightened. In my cross chest bag I have a "throw down" wallet with nothing in it of value but looks good to a thief. Paper where the bills go, "worthless" credit cards (those things you get in the mail that says "your name here," and pictures of friends grandchildren I get with Christmas cards. In it may be two euro's worth of coins (bathroom money). Hopefully, they will go for that and I'll be around the corner before they realize they have a wallet full of nothing.

Tucker in Texas

I tie the neck strap to my bra so the bag hangs down my side and below my belt which is tightened. In my cross chest bag I have a "throw down" wallet with nothing in it of value but looks good to a thief. Paper where the bills go, "worthless" credit cards (those things you get in the mail that says "your name here," and pictures of friends grandchildren I get with Christmas cards. In it may be two euro's worth of coins (bathroom money). Hopefully, they will go for that and I'll be around the corner before they realize they have a wallet full of nothing.

Tucker in Texas

Same here....I would occasionally wear the neck bag to my side and tucked under my bra...but it would be difficult when I ran out of money or needed my credit card....i would have to reach into my shirt, pull the bag from underneath my bra, then pull the bag out from my shirt. My son thought I was crazy until he saw so many other women doing the same thing. My purse was a decoy as well, lol. It worked!

I just arrived home from a trip to Italy and Greece. I was very concerned about pick pockets as my son spent 4 months in Rome and 2 of his friends...both girls, lost all of their money and passports in similar incidents, one in London and the other in Athens. You need to be especially careful at the train stations as they are crowded and things happen fast. I didn't have any problems in Athens, Rome, or Naples but prior to my trip, I checked out the pac safe website and bought a neck pouch and computer bag for my ipad and other valuables including camera. They are both slashproof, zippers are tamper proof, and the computer bag has a lock which can go through all of the zippers as extra security. This bag is built like fort knox.....they would have to knock me over and steal it, which would probably cause too much noise. The neck bag can go right underneath your shirt/blouse and is really not visable.....the neck strap is slash proof. I put my passport, money, credit cards, copies of my credit cards and passport in the neck pouch....this came everywhere with me. I did not even leave it in the safes in the room as sometimes they are not very safe either. I did carry a messenger bag/small purse and carried a few euro's and tissues etc...they would probably go first for that bag and if they wanted it they could have it. I felt much better knowing that all my bags were secure. We had a great time.

So smart to do with the above person did... my money, valuables, etc. also were UNDER MY CLOTHES with a SLASH PROOF neck bag. I kept loose change in my pocket for bathroom money, etc. People who think they can keep a hold of a purse or bag are WRONG! The thieves bumps you, work in groups, etc. and have so many tricks to get the bags.

A ship mate of ours went on a public bus in Mallorca. Had money and credit cards in a buttoned pocket in his cargo pants. Thought they were safe. A guy on the bus had two big shopping bags. The local man pretended to bend down to futz with the bags, and "bumped" the man with the cargo pants. Yup, in one minute bag man exited the bus, then cargo pants man realized all his money was gone!

Many many many many other stories of being "sandwiched" between two locals who bump you, etc. and they get your bags, your money.

It is sad-- the police do NOTHING and dont care, the crime is so rampant. So one must be careful. Avoiding the subways, metro, etc. is a better more to make. Walk places or take a cab. Never set your valuables down anywhere (on the floor at your feet in a cafe, or on a table top, or on a vacant chair at your table, etc.)

Good luck to everyone.. I still love Barcelona, and Naples and Rome, etc. But be careful! :cool:

Well I haven't been to Spain or Europe, but hope to one day, when I go I won't really worry about Pickpockets, I'll be smart like when I was in NYC. I usually carry a wallet on me, but I don't keep my credit card or all my money in it and keep that in a different place, hey if they want to take my wallet by all mean they can, I hide all the other stuff on my pretty well. I don't really have to worry about my camera I have that in my hands at all times. Other then that rest on my stuff is usually not on my and back in a hotel room

I am going and have been doing a lot of research to be smart. Here is a link to Barcelona Safety - Learn and Apply The 16 Safety Guidelines to Safeguard Your Personal Safety.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/general/barcelona-safety.html

I have read it and it is wonderful for real information and to be able to fit in and not look like a tourist. Have fun!! Joyce:D

I had my car broken into in Barcelona years ago but honestly we left all kinds of luggage in plain sight just because we were making a quick stop. That was dumb. I've been back to Barcelona and Rome dozens of times, never had a problem.

I don't carry a purse or backpack. Everything goes on my person in zipped pockets. If you're a fluffy and/or older person you are more likely to not feel a thing, they know it and will target you. Put your stuff where you will feel it if touched extremely lightly there. Side pant pockets usually OK, back pocket no good cause the backside is used to lots of bumps. I like cargo pants with zipped pockets near the knee. They look awful, but it's really hard to touch me there without me noticing! Around the neck is good too.

Don't take anything you couldn't replace. Have your phone numbers ready if you need to cancel credit cards (not 800 numbers because you can't call those from outside the US). Copies of your passport in a suitcase somewhere. Don't take your passport unless local regulations force you to. Not too much cash. No expensive camera/video equipment. If you get robbed and notice go after the thug, they usually reliquish the goods if caught and confronted. Report crime to local authorities, even if it's just telling a cop on the street and you don't have time to file a formal complaint.

Europe is extremely safe when it comes to assault, but yeah, touristy places have a lot of pickpockets. But they also have a lot of tourists, so the odds of them targeting you is low. Don't worry too much!

Just read a post on NCL where the person had their pocket picked and the passport was stolen. DH was put off the ship and had to catch up after obtaining a temporary passport. It was very expensive and the cruise line was very helpful according to the OP. Never carry your passport where it can easily be stolen. If you insist on carrying it (my DH does), carry it concealed in some sort of money belt where it cannot be easily picked. Being aware is your greatest protection.

We carry passports and money, credit cards in either money belts, or I have a under your pant nylon bag that clips on to the waist of your pants or can be worn on your belt. I never carry a purse. No way for anyone to get to. Have never had a problem, I think because we just take precautions. Barbara

DH and I are sailing out of Barcelona next year and will be spending two weeks traveling in France and Spain prior to sailing. We haven't been to Europe in several years and have been quite disturbed and worried about all the pickpocket stories we've been hearing about, on this board as well as the discussions on our roll call. Also, two friends of mine were robbed, one in Paris, and the other in Barcelona. Certainly, when traveling abroad, or anywhere for that matter, we have to travel smart and safe. Yesterday I purchased a PacSafe Metro 100 cross body bag, small enough to wear under a light jacket or big shirt, yet large enough to hold money, a credit card, a copy of our passports (originals will always be in either hotel or cabin safe), and a few small items. The PacSafe travel items are slash-proof, which was one of my big worries, and unobtrusive. I purchased mine at the AAA office, which gave me a $5 discount over what REI wanted for the same bag.

You are absolutely right - I NEVER carry a purse. DH carries everything we need in a slashproof backpack - but nothing valuable, just souvenirs, sunscreen, umbrellas, tissues. If it goes, it goes. My small, pocket size camera is slip tied in my beltloop and in my pocket - or slipped on my wrist in my hand (no fancy, expensive camera, with fancy, expensive assessories) - the photos are downloaded onto a computer once back on ship. DH has a Walmart $10 watch (velcro for easy stealing;)) and less than 50 euros in a $3 velcro wallet. He carries an easy access credit card in his front, chest shirt pocket - with a zipped closure. And we wear no jewlery and make no large purchases - no one looks at us twice as we are obviously not worth anything. On Las Ramblas last year on a busy Sunday afternoon, tourists with bags, purses, etc. were standing around watching a shell game while people milled in and out of the crowd! Some people just can't be taught - so hopefully there are enough of them around to keep interest away from us... and of course, other smart cc readers:D

We were in Barcelona for the day last week on Independence of the Seas,took a local bus to Gaudi s park had a great time and returned on the bus to las ramblas,3 young Spaniards got on and asked for directions and a young man beside them told them the info, he stood beside them for a while then I saw him move his hoodie over his other arm and I saw his fingers about to go into the other guys pocket, boy did I yell!!!

The pickpocket gave me such a filthy look saying Non non and me shouting Si si.He jumped off the bus talking into his mobile.

The Canadian couple behind us and the 3 youngsters gave me a pat on the back but wondered why no one helped or called the police?

Sorry I said this is Barcelona and no one gives a dam.

We carry passports and money, credit cards in either money belts, or I have a under your pant nylon bag that clips on to the waist of your pants or can be worn on your belt. I never carry a purse. No way for anyone to get to. Have never had a problem, I think because we just take precautions. Barbara

Can you tell me where you bought the "under your pant nylon bag that clips on to the waist of your pants"? I've been looking for something like this. I'm taking DD to Barcelona in September and will stay 3 days pre-cruise. The discussion about pickepocket makes me worried. I guess carrying a purse wouldn't be a very good idea.

Thank you.

I and 3 other women in my group wore cross-body purses in Barcelona with no trouble, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to use a purse. Some people get themselves into trouble with their under-the-pants and/or wallet-in-a-pocket -- sometimes getting to them is so much trouble it makes you vulnerable, and wallets/pockets are just as easy to snatch as a purse. I think the best pickpocket prevention remains in being smart and aware.

We all took special care to hold our bags tight to our bodies when walking Las Ramblas and other crowded areas, stayed mindful of people "bumping" into us (most of them were just goofy-looking fellow tourists in the crowd, but you could spot a local here and there) and making sure anyone "too close" wasn't picking... Plus staying extra mindful when there were "distractions" going on such as street performances or some sort of commotion (there were some issues with intoxicated residents, etc). Distractions are a common tactic for pickpocketers -- one person/group distracts while someone else picks -- so we were extra mindful then.

I made sure when I bought my own crossbody purse that the part where I would put my money/credit cards would be in the back of the purse (closest to my body) and that it closed with a zipper (not a snap -- not that a zipper is too tough for a pro to breech, but I think it's at least harder than a snap), and that the straps were made from a thick leather so it'd be harder to cut (I didn't opt for a pac-safe one this time, though that's a good idea too, as they have a metal cut-proof "cord" running through the strap).

None of the things I mentioned is a failsafe -- you can do everything "right" and still get picked, I believe, but we didn't see any untoward activity.

But I did notice a lot of distracted, mindless-looking tourists on Las Ramblas -- some walking/standing with mouths agape gawking at the street performers, some dragging luggage well behind them while they perused maps and street signs with confused looks on their faces, etc. -- whom I would have targeted if I were a crook. I believe I looked more engaged and alert than they, and I'd like to think that helped keep me safer.

I didn't notice or hear of any burglary at all when I was there -- after hearing all the horror stories I was pleasantly surprised it was just like other large world cities -- yes, you still need to be careful, but it seemed like a pleasantly normal large city (good and bad).

FWIW, the closest I've ever (knowingly) come to being pickpocketed was in Paris on the Metro (standing FACE-TO-FACE with the would-be perp as he tried to get his fingers into my small wallet-on-a-strap I held close to my body), and the only person I actually know who's gotten pickpocketed was victimized in Paris (on the Metro as well!) -- and he was an international jet pilot, well-aware of the dangers... he just encountered a team of real pros! :rolleyes:

Just off Princess cruise (Ruby) on the Grand Med itinerary 10 June. I used a PacSafe purse for the trip. Most women I noticed wore some sort of crossbody purse and kept their hand across the purse opening. My niece fixed her bra stash a little differently than the way it is shown. She snapped it between the bra cups and it hung down her stomach where she then tucked it into her pants. (It's shown to be worn attached to your bra straps.

My advice for what it's worth: don't take a lot of money on your flights and get your money from an ATM at your destination. Use your room safes and only leave each day with one credit card and enough cash for lunch or incidentals. I took two different charge cards but never left with both. When you move to the ship do the same. At least if you do get taken it won't be for all your money and ruin things totally.

BTW, Barcelona is where you seem to hear more about pickpockets but don't let up your guard anywhere else either. Another place they strike is the Acropolis. You are walking up and down such uneven surfaces pressed against other people and are paying so much attention to your footing that it's easy to lose focus. I heard 2 different people say they got "hit" there.

Thank you, Ikakers and Financialgrl.

I was okay when staying in Paris and Rome, using a regular cross-body purse with camera and wallet in, taking Metro everyday for the whole week even at peak hours and nothing happened. But that's more than ten years ago, I guess the current economy situation creates more petty theft. This is what I'm going to do this time: use a cross-body purse to hold one credit card and small amount of cash, maybe a copy of passports (is it necessary?). Tell DD to pay attention to the surroundings. Well, she's only nine, hopefully she would't distract me too much.:o Just wish a single woman with a child won't make me an obvious target.

By the way, how do you guys carry your cameras? Use the special strap to tie it on the purse?

My personal encounter with the would-be pickpocketer in Paris was in 2003, and my friend's was before that -- so those were not due to the current economic situation!

It is indeed a good idea to keep a photocopy of your passport with you, but leave the passport in your hotel/cabin safe.

Children can, obviously, be a huge distraction, but better your purse snatched than your child! If you take precautions (as others have mentioned, leave extra credit card, cash, etc. in the safe), and brief your DD on expectations and why it's so important to help, you should do fine!

I would also add that you might want pay attention to your outfits and ditch the typical American-style vacation-wear (message tee with shorts & tennies or flips). I don't have a problem with this look, but in Barcelona you would stick out like you had a flashing neon-lighted arrow pointing at you blinking "TOURIST!" I don't pretend that all European travelers are chic (in addition to the Americans, you will see lots of silly-outfitted Germans, Scandinavians and Brits among others, for sure), but this link has a good article on how to blend with the locals a bit better -- which, as the article points out, will also make you less of a target, as you will be more likely to be perceived as a savvy traveler who may not be as easy a mark: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/shopping/barcelona-clothes.html Your daughter can wear whatever you/she wants -- she does not need to try for Euro/Barça chic! :cool:

As for camera, I just have a little point-n-shoot digital, and slipped it into the front (large) pocket of my cross-body purse when it wasn't in my hand with the cord around my wrist. My camera was about the only thing in that part of the purse besides a scrunched-up nylon tote bag (which can also be slung cross-body if purchases necessitate a bigger bag).

Best of luck! As stated, take precautions, only take essentials with you onto the street and stay alert. I cannot tell you just HOW distracted and unaware, and downright clueless some of the tourists in the throng on Las Ramblas were. If I had a choice between them and an aware & savvy-looking single mother, I'd pick them in a heartbeat. :)

In response to the person who listed the most Dangerous cities...

I would guess, and I could be be wrong, that that list is based on violent crime. Yes, I would be much more fearful of violent crime in Baltimore or New Orleans or Miami..and even parts of Tampa than in Venice or Barcelona.

However, if one of my British or European friends were planning to visit Florida, I would give them some advice. I would tell them not to lock their luggage in the trunk of their car at a hotel. Have the hotel keep it for you if you arrive early or stay late. Lots of luggage is stolen from cars, especially rental cars. Do not leave your valuables under the umbrella at the beach. We caught a guy going through our bag once..not a good experience. Know where you are going at all times. If you are driving around a city, lock your doors and don't stop and ask for directions unless you are in a well lit, safe looking place. Bars on the windows of a gas station usually mean it is not a safe area. Crooks in the US often are confrontational rather than simply picking your pockets. It's scary. I was once grabbed by a guy in a highway way station, early one morning, daylight, with my friend sleeping in our car just outside. Fortunately, I screamed really loud and he ran off.

I would hope that people who live in cities in Europe where pickpocketing is a problem will be honest and open with us tourists. I hope rather than feel defensive about their cities, they will tell us the best ways to avoid problems. Tell us how to fit in and how to act in crowded areas. Please do not tell us how 'you live there for years and have never been pickpocketed'. Sorry, but that is naive and disrespectful to all the travelers who have had bad experiences.

I can tell you that I worked in Chicago and was never mugged..but quite honestly, I was threatened a few times and followed to work by shady men. Of course, I also knew that if I shouted really loud, they would back off. I knew where I was going, walked swiftly down the sidewalk, and didn't appear to be a tourist. My only really scary situation in Chicago was when I was coming back from a business trip (I worked as an environmental geologist on Superfund sites) and was dragging luggage. I had a co-worker, a male with me but someone still started following and me and trying to touch me. I am pretty sure this guy thought I was a tourist because of the luggage. But he was probably shocked to hear the 'Chicago language' that came out of my mouth at the top of my lungs as I told him where to go!

I would never tell someone who was traveling to Chicago that they have nothing to worry about. Never. I would tell them to be careful and be aware.

When we went to places we knew would be extremely crowded, like the Vatican, we took many of the precautions listed by previous posters...my husband and I used a velcro leg "safe" that was very comfortable, easy to wear under pants or skirt....I would forget it was there. My husband also used a wallet that attaches to the belt with a chain.

In addition, I had read on CC about how handy it is to use a big old safety pin to pin a pocket closed, and it was easy, quick to undo, and would easily help to foil pickpockets, especially in crowded situations. Just a thought, if you want to have a little bit extra. Now, don't use that pin to contain your wallet with all the money you have with you! We used it to pin down a few euros here and there...I don't want them getting even a nickel of my hard-earned money!

I will add, be careful on subways, tubes, etc. We ran into a situation in Paris where a crowd of gypsies who appeared to be entering the train suddenly turned and pushed back on the tourists trying to board. The gypsies behind pushed forward, creating a "sandwich" of tourists who were caught in the logjam. Lost my wallet in that one, and you can bet I am now much more aware AND wary. No need to be paranoid, just look people in the eye and shove or push back with your elbows if you have to in a crowded situation if you're feeling preyed upon. They'll get away from you and move on to other targets.

Archived