How bad are the PICKPOCKETS? How to avoid them?

Litehouse9

While phones would be harder to get out of pockets I would not keep anything in my back pocket in Italy. Whatever is in the pocket the pickpockets are not going to know if it is a wallet or phone and back pockets are the easiest to pick. That is just asking for it.

Or Barcelona

Just a heads up. Unless you have a special international plan, the texting that teens do will add up to quite a tidy sum if they text back and forth to their friends back home as they normally do. I would research before allowing my teens to use their cell phones in Europe. jmo

Does anyone know if cell phones are a specific target? We will be traveling to Italy, my teenagers keep their iPhones in their back pockets.

Just a heads up. Unless you have a special international plan, the texting that teens do will add up to quite a tidy sum if they text back and forth to their friends back home as they normally do. I would research before allowing my teens to use their cell phones in Europe. jmo

Yes, the cell phone carriers will pick your pockets in Barcelona and the rest of Europe, on the ship too, not only for text, but also for voice and data charges when roaming internationaly. And teens won't have a clue that they are racking up thousands of dollars in charges. It is something they are not going to know. Many adults don't know. Many have found out when they get home and have a $6000 to $8000 phone bill.

My husband always moves his wallet to his front pocket while traveling. I always use a crossbody purse and put my camera inside so it doesn't scream "tourist" or "expensive camera here". We've never been pickpocketed.

We were just in Spain and sitting inside a Starbucks (I'm addicted) and saw a couple very upset because someone had robbed them while they were in line. They had backpacks on still and I couldn't hear exactly what was stolen. You have to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

We have travelled extensively all over the world and, thankfully, have never been pickpocketed. I attribute that to the fact that we keep our passports, money and credit cards in a money belt under our clothing at at all times. The thief would actually have to get into our shirts or pants to get our stuff. My husband keeps a very small amount of change in his pocket and if he needs more money he excuses himself and gets it out of his money belt. This may sound cumbersome but it really isn't. I just ordered a Scottevest as I thought all of the inside pockets would be great for carrying things like the cell phone and small camera but I have returned it because to me it's very bulky and stiff and I don't think I would be comfortable wearing it. Personally, I wouldn't put anything of value into a backpack or purse in a public place in Europe. I've known too many people that have been robbed. I met one lady whose backpack had been cut on the subway in London...thought that was kind of scary because it looked like it had been done with a sharp knife. As far as texting abroad, my AT&T plan has free incoming messages and $.50 per outgoing message. I'm not sure what other carriers offer but this plan seems pretty inexpensive to me.

Archived